HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I'd say the responses also correlate with certain types of religious beliefs.
Religiously committed:

BC 19%
Alberta 24%
Saskatchewan 25%
Manitoba 25%
Ontario 20%
Quebec 9%
Atlantic 18%

https://angusreid.org/canada-religio...ith-holy-week/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Religiously committed:

BC 19%
Alberta 24%
Saskatchewan 25%
Manitoba 25%
Ontario 20%
Quebec 9%
Atlantic 18%

Very interesting how this is compared with census data which suggests religious identification is lower in Alberta than in Ontario, yet this seems to imply that Albertans are more religious. Guess those who are religious in Alberta are more extreme

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 2:32 AM

The most socially conservative and religious riding I'm sure is Portage-Lisgar. 48% of the population identifies with evangelical denominations or "other Christian."

It also had the highest PPC vote of any riding. The PPC vote seems to be strongly correlated with "Bible belts."

Manitoba's very conservative rurals are outvoted by progressive Winnipeg however. Still, Manitoba is the most balanced between conservatives and center-left/progressive.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 3:11 AM

The Calgary and Edmonton results are interesting. The CPC/PPC federal vote is about 4 points higher in Calgary and 11 points higher in Edmonton. Many vote CPC as the "party of Alberta" but may vote center-left provincially.

Alberta is very conservative for such an urbanized province. Calgary's conservatism is especially noteworthy.

In the last provincial, the UCP got 52% with the very right-wing Danielle Smith leading them.

In Saskatchewan, meanwhile, the CPC/PPC vote and the Sask Party vote line up much more closely. It votes how you'd expect a Great Plains/Prairies jurisdiction that's resource rich and agrarian to vote in the 21st century.

Last edited by Docere; Dec 3, 2023 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Religiously committed:

BC 19%
Alberta 24%
Saskatchewan 25%
Manitoba 25%
Ontario 20%
Quebec 9%
Atlantic 18%

Yet religious strife still seems to take up all the air in the room these days.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 3:51 PM

The Prairies are a bit more religious than the rest of Canada, but it's not a dramatic difference. Not exactly Tennessee or Arkansas here.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Kelowna, a "redneck" town for BC and the largest city in the BC Interior votes to the Left of Calgary and slightly more right of Edmonton. I used the Election Atlas riding builder function to get these maps.

Just ran the 2023 provincial numbers for Calgary and Edmonton:

Calgary

NDP 49.3% 14 MLAs
UCP 48.3% 12 MLAs

Edmonton

NDP 62.9% 20 MLAs
UCP 32.3% 0 MLAs

The NDP swept Edmonton and edged out the UCP in Calgary. But even three quarters of the Calgary and Edmonto seats wasn't enough for the NDP to win, given the UCP dominance of the rest of the province (granted there's some exurban territory around Edmonton that's very conservative).

Last edited by Docere; Dec 4, 2023 at 8:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Alberta has a thin sliver of the rockies and like none of the population lives in them.
BC is a mountain Province. Not only is the entire provinces basically mountains, but we actually live in them and are a core part of BC identity.
Alberta is known for being flat. You have banff and Jasper but barely. Calling yourself a mountain province is copium, sorry but it is

The Rockies in Alberta is nearly the size of Nova Scotia in area. Calgary on a good day is less than a hour away from Canmore. Almost every one of my friends who live in calgary is very connected to the mountains from hiking, skiing, etc, as is the city where half falls within the foothills.

Trying to gatekeep a geographic feature is one of the silliest things I've heard today. BC is mountains amongst many other things, just like Alberta.

Vancouver and Calgary have more in common than both cities like to believe. Their connection to the mountains are distinct compared to any other large city in Canada. In both cities I have great friends who backcountry ski, hike, camp, etc in the mountains. There are also great communities in both which helps when moving from one to the other. For the people who actually experience the mountains, the borders between bc and Alberta are null as the region is essentially one. Many fantastic trails and features like Assiniboine loop through both provinces.

Last edited by river; Dec 4, 2023 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
But really it is a day trip for the vast majority of people, realistically. In minimal traffic, you can get from the farthest western suburban edge of Calgary, if you’re near the Transcanada, to the eastern edge of the mountains, in about 45 minutes. That’s still a 90-minute round trip, and that’s the best case. If you’re downtown it’s a two-hour round trip, even in a zero-traffic situation. My sister lives in Mahogany, and that’s 80 minutes one way.

Generally speaking, it is not the case that Calgarians have access to the Rockies to like, pop in for a quick jog or bike ride or whatever. It’s just a little too far away; it’s a prairie city with mountain adjacency, not a mountain city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
That’s a pretty unusual morning routine. Most people don’t take a 90 minute round trip for their morning exercise before work.
Lol an hour away is not a "day trip". It's maybe unusual before work but definitely not after work.

In rugby season I do that twice a week to get to practice.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:26 PM

yes, the farthest point from Calgary to Banff is far... but there are other locations.

Shawnessy near Mahogany is only 35 minutes to Prairie Mountain (700m in elevation) parking lot. Just west of Bragg Creek. That distance would be closer than many people in Vancouver are to any mountain trails, and completely doable to do after work in the summer (I have done it).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:31 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
> Alberta
> Mountain province

LOL, cope harder Alberta, no you're not
Are you under the impression that this is 4chan?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:36 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
But really it is a day trip for the vast majority of people, realistically. In minimal traffic, you can get from the farthest western suburban edge of Calgary, if you’re near the Transcanada, to the eastern edge of the mountains, in about 45 minutes. That’s still a 90-minute round trip, and that’s the best case. If you’re downtown it’s a two-hour round trip, even in a zero-traffic situation. My sister lives in Mahogany, and that’s 80 minutes one way.

Generally speaking, it is not the case that Calgarians have access to the Rockies to like, pop in for a quick jog or bike ride or whatever. It’s just a little too far away; it’s a prairie city with mountain adjacency, not a mountain city.

Yes. Growing up in NW Calgary it was common to do a weekend day trip into the mountains but we'd never really just pop over for a quick visit. I think the only times that happened were when someone was visiting on a tight timeline and wanted to see the mountains. Kananaskis is much closer but I'd still think it's a minority of people who'd go over in the morning to hike/cycle. Not saying it doesn't happen (as evidenced by posts above) but they're just a bit too far for most people to do it on the regular. To be fair this probably applies to most Vancouverites.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
To be fair this probably applies to most Vancouverites.
That's a key thing, for the majority in both cities the mountains are a lovely thing to look at but rarely experienced. But if you want to, both cities are situated in fantastic locations for the minority that wants to experience them.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 6:51 AM
Straight Outta Windsor

Calling BC the Pacific Northwest really doesn’t make sense in Canadian terms. The way I see it, the Pacific Northwest is an American term that refers to Washington and Oregon. Add BC and you get Cascadia.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 8:06 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
Calling BC the Pacific Northwest really doesn’t make sense in Canadian terms. The way I see it, the Pacific Northwest is an American term that refers to Washington and Oregon. Add BC and you get Cascadia.
Except it is the Pacific Northwest of North America as a whole (extending from Oregon to Alaska), and it shares defining characteristics within the region.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 5:35 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Exactly - BC is on the coast of the north Pacific ocean, and in the northwest of the North American landmass. Regardless of political boundaries, Pacific Northwest is accurate. But as Canadians, we're also well aware that we're in "the North" - it's a whole part of the national mythos (true north strong and free, great white north, etc).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 5:42 PM

An acquaintance once remarked to me that 'People sure do have ideas.'

These are certainly ideas.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:16 PM

Vancouver is a lot more similar to Seattle than Toronto is to Chicago or Montreal to Boston.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:22 PM
Change is good

Quote:

The same thing for the vast majority of Vancouver. It's flat, and 90 minutes round trip or more to do something "mountainous".

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:37 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^I'll push back on that a bit.

South of the Fraser River is flat, and you're looking at a 45 minutes to an hour travel time to the mountain parks (even longer in bad traffic). So Surrey, Richmond, Lander, Delta, Tsawwassen and Langley.

North of the Fraser is a completely different story. I can get to North Van in 20 minutes from East Vancouver. It's even closer if you're downtown. Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore, Belcarra, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Pitt Meadows, Mission etc are all within minutes of some fantastic mountain parks.

If there's anything this region excels at, it's its access to incredible nature. I really don't think that can be downplayed. If you have a car, it's very easy to get to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada