HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
A before E

with the short attention span Americans have, I dont see this holding enough steam to last till July so that it then can start gaining signatures to get a vote for impeachment. I am guessing alot will happen in the next 6 months and we will all get very sidetracked.

Of course now might be the time to say "if you want to make me happy, how about a stronger push for more streetcar lines?" What? I am just thinking about the possibilities.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:18 PM

Why is this topic on this forum??? Can't everyone discuss this on Oregonlive?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smendesPDX View Post
Yeah, if I want to be called names and join in a totally closed minded rant fest.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smendesPDX View Post
This forum section is called "Business, the Economy and POLITICS" isn't it?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:46 PM
Bears of antiquity

So, no decision on lanes for the CRC? WTF.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:02 PM

"Yeah, if I want to be called names and join in a totally closed minded rant fest."

Just because you "may" have differing views doesn't mean those opposing yours are "close minded and are participating in a "rant fest". I, for one, look forward to the debate of differing opinions. This section of the forum allows this kind of discussion. You have the choice not to read the posts or to contribute.

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 27, 2009 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:13 PM

The Oregon Live comments really are just a rant fest. Every single comment is "Resign now, Sam. Just get it done." or some close variant. It's nice to see posts that say something else on the topic for a change.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethirtysex View Post
The Oregon Live comments really are just a rant fest. Every single comment is "Resign now, Sam. Just get it done." or some close variant. It's nice to see posts that say something else on the topic for a change.
I agree. Just go check it out. A lot of the comments are just plain ignorant and after reading 1200+ posts like that it's not even worth posting anything in reply.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:22 PM

Here is a snippet from the Oregon Live blogs and the reason why some of us chose to stay out of it:

This guy wants to boycott Portland businesses because of Sam. Does that make sense?
Quote:
sameric on 01/26/09 at 11:08AM
Now it should be plain to all where Sam's priority lies - with Sam. The hell with truth, trust, integrity and all those other inconvenient things that support good government. It's all about Sam.

Unless the other commissioners give him the same treatment that they gave Potter, he'll stay on and on with the confidence that the public memory is relatively short. And his ego is bigger than any sustainable collective outrage needed to drive a recall.

But let's proceed with the recall and, in the meantime, maybe it's time to send a message to the business community which, out of fear, is either supporting Sam or keeping quiet. It's time for for a BOYCOTT of Portland businesses. Maybe then the other commissioners will get the message that Sam is poison for the community.

If even for one day a week: Boycott Portland businesses!
And another saying we are all whack jobs and he is also "boycotting Portland"
Quote:
wch on 01/26/09 at 11:11AM
I am done with Portland until the whack-job supporters decide to hold this guy accountable for his actions. If you don't hold him accountable, I boycott your crap city. That is all.
Sam a sociopath?
Quote:
Sophlady on 01/26/09 at 12:51PM
I don't know the state of Sam Adam's soul, but his behavior does paint a picture of a narcissist, possibly a sociopath.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:58 PM

my previous suggestion was only that, I did not intend to get anyone going.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 8:19 PM
A before E

this site is definitely a better place to discuss and debate...newspaper sites usually just get comments from the handful of people that read their paper and they are definitely (usually) not people who wish to debate opinions.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 3:06 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Brian Libby on portlandarchitecture had a great post about it, tho.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 9:14 PM
Bears of antiquity

AG says "there's no case here".

And really, that's about all you need. I mean, the republicans in Portland will sign up for the recall petition, but the second it hits the ballot, they'll be flooded out.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
AG says "there's no case here".

And really, that's about all you need. I mean, the republicans in Portland will sign up for the recall petition, but the second it hits the ballot, they'll be flooded out.
Thank god this chapter is over. I really think the recall will be a flop. I hope so, it is such a waste of the cities time and energy. Besides who is there to take his place? I really think he is the right man for the job.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 10:59 PM
Bears of antiquity

Victoria Taft nearly died. This story was like being given a brand new pony, and now it's like they chopped it up in front of her and forced her to eat it.

KPAM won't be the same without a daily reminder "...disgraced mayor Sam Adams, currently under investigation by the state Attorney General...", although I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they'll still dice in their jabs like they do when they get Gary Randall in to talk about SB 2 and HB 2007 as though they can still do something about it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 11:11 PM

Yup, the right wing is going to have a fit. The media is not going to let this go. They are going to continue to broadcast/publish innuendo's about his lifestyle as long as he is mayor. Hopefully, we will get some fair and balanced press as well. I hope the recall effort fails....by a large margin!

Last edited by PacificNW; Jun 23, 2009 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:06 PM

Deleted by PNW..

Last edited by PacificNW; Jun 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Comments were off the subject. PNW

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 11:42 PM

Here is my personal thinking on the matter. A recall is almost certain to be a flop unless there is a credible alternative candidate. That being said, I'm planning on signing the recall petition b/c I think Adams deserves the public rebuke. Unless Charlie Hales or Blumenauer steps forward and says they will run for the vacated seat, I will vote to keep Adams in a recall election.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scleeb View Post
Here is my personal thinking on the matter. A recall is almost certain to be a flop unless there is a credible alternative candidate. That being said, I'm planning on signing the recall petition b/c I think Adams deserves the public rebuke. Unless Charlie Hales or Blumenauer steps forward and says they will run for the vacated seat, I will vote to keep Adams in a recall election.
I understand wanting him to feel some sort of heat, but spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to stage an election just to do so?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:15 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
I understand wanting him to feel some sort of heat, but spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to stage an election just to do so?
wouldnt it be better to make that point in the next election? I am definitely hoping this goes down in flames, the city doesnt need to be wasting money on a recall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics