HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 11:15 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

from that angle it doesn't look that bad. but its too late for that and the current proposal will continue.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 3:27 PM

I apologize, but I need to rant. This whole Freedom Tower thing is getting sadder by the moment, continuing its narrative as a public comment on the dismal side of Amerika. Almost nine years after 9/11, and there's almost nothing to show for it in terms of memorial or towers. Who in this forum in 2001-3 would have even have considered the possibility that in 2010, the centerpiece building would be a skeleton of a half-dozen floors?

It's freakin' 2010 and we're still deciding what to do with the so-called 'mastermind' of the terrorist attacks.

9/11 was a disaster of national proportions, and this is a disgrace.

Now this new thing about the mob...more criminality. Remember how it was the mob that was stealing the repo'd metal from the original Ground Zero site, hijacking the salvage. Now they're rigging the subcontracters.

Meanwhile, the 'awesome' Freedom Tower design is looking more and more second-rate in contrast to the many more magnificent structures going up in HK, Singapore, Tokyo, Abu Dubai, Guangzong, etc. DKLs original design had a serious 'wow factor', this one has a 'blah factor'. It's about as monumental as a 20 story office building on Wilshire Blvd. I was hoping either for a signature building like the Chrysler Bldg. or a rebuild of the Twin Towers. Instead, what's come out of the whole rebuild process is pretty tasteless.

There's no 'payback' factor in this. Pearl Harbor had a 'payback' or resolution of sorts: VJ Day. But there is nothing that speaks to resolution, either militarily or otherwise. A good resolution would have been to rebuild something on the site that would be breathtaking, perhaps epic on the scale of the Abu Dubai tower. Or something that was architecturally insane; a beauty of genius on the order of a FLWright or de Corbusier. Not a chance with this design. Heck, the other towers in the complex have more architectural 'muscle' than the Freedom Tower. Sad that I'll have to live the rest of my life with this shallow attempt at 'monument'...

Like an earlier poster said, too many chiefs...and not just the FDNY. Only these chiefs are lining their pockets. Just like Congress is the entertainment division of Wall St. Inc, those who are ruling the Freedom Tower project are doing so in order to milk it dry of capital...and in the process, milk it dry of resolve and sentiment.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 3:59 PM

The buildings themselves are by no means the monument...they have, well, a monument under construction for that.

The buildings are the defiance of America against terrorism and rebuilding of the skyline. With that said, try taking a majority of the Abu-Dhabi or HK or Shanghai buildings being constructed and put them in the New York skyline, it just does not work. And a super-tall the size of the Burj Dubai or greater would wreck it forever. New York has a graceful uniformity of peaks and valleys like a man-made mountain range, not the jagged spikes of some alien antenna field.

Besides, save your judgment for the completed tower. Only so much can be envisioned by a rendering or 3-foot model anyway.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:21 PM

Meanwhile, the 'awesome' Freedom Tower design is looking more and more second-rate in contrast to the many more magnificent structures going up in HK, Singapore, Tokyo, Abu Dubai, Guangzong, etc. DKLs original design had a serious 'wow factor', this one has a 'blah factor'. It's about as monumental as a 20 story office building on Wilshire Blvd. I was hoping either for a signature building like the Chrysler Bldg. or a rebuild of the Twin Towers. Instead, what's come out of the whole rebuild process is pretty tasteless.

A good resolution would have been to rebuild something on the site that would be breathtaking, perhaps epic on the scale of the Abu Dubai tower. Or something that was architecturally insane; a beauty of genius on the order of a FLWright or de Corbusier.

Not a chance with this design. Heck, the other towers in the complex have more architectural 'muscle' than the Freedom Tower. Sad that I'll have to live the rest of my life with this shallow attempt at 'monument'...

If the original twins were still there, they also would be relegated to 2nd class status in comparison to the ones you mentioned up above. The main objective was to build the Tower of Freedom the same height as the originals, not to be the tallest one in the world, such as those in Kuala Lampur Taipie and Dubai etc. The old towers weren't even the tallest in the world, when they were completed, Sears in Chicago was, so why all the fuss?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 7:15 PM
All-American City Boy

I like the new design and can't wait to see the finished product, but it's obvious they went the safe route on this one.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
The old towers weren't even the tallest in the world, when they were completed, Sears in Chicago was, so why all the fuss?
Incorrect, Sears was completed after the completion of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 7:38 PM

I would have loved to see an updated version of the twin towers built again. Two modern looking buildings next to each other - bigger and better. That would have left the clearest message of resilience.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
The current plan:

Old plan:

Ew.

The current one is definitely better, but the one with the slanted rhombuses looks a little weird/grotesque and the 3rd and 4th ones are just bland. Also, I think they should build a large futuristic plaza like the old WTC had.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 9:34 AM

Also, I think they should build 1 or 2 with similar height to 1 WTC. (Not to mention they should have made 1 WTC taller!!)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2048 View Post
The current one is definitely better, but the one with the slanted rhombuses looks a little weird/grotesque and the 3rd and 4th ones are just bland. Also, I think they should build a large futuristic plaza like the old WTC had.

The one on the bottom, was the most horrible nightmare of a project, anyone could think of. Thank God they didn't try to go ahead with this piece of crap.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:50 PM
Ω

Libeskind's proposal was conceptual

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 8:38 PM

mm thnx for link!))
I like this WTC, but I think, that it will not be a perfect silhouette of NY, like old WTC... whatever I like it cause it's here, in NY))!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 3:01 PM
Editor

I think the new 1 WTC desihn from Childs is much better than Libeskinds. Libeskinds looks unrealistic.

1 WTC looks like a wonderful commercial tower, that is rising to the sky!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 12:02 AM

Good choice !!!

This tower fits just perfectly in the rest of the skyline of New York. It will give the New York skyline a modern refreshment and it will make the NY skyline even more impressive. A bigger tower would just not fit with the rest of the buildings, it would totally destroy the smooth shape of the skyline. Good job Daniel Libeskind

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwart Mackintosh View Post
This tower fits just perfectly in the rest of the skyline of New York. It will give the New York skyline a modern refreshment and it will make the NY skyline even more impressive. A bigger tower would just not fit with the rest of the buildings, it would totally destroy the smooth shape of the skyline. Good job Daniel Libeskind
Yeah...except Daniel Libeskind had nothing to do with this design...LOL

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 4:02 AM

Thumbs up

It's amazing to see the progress.

Like many of you, I've watched the web cams (Earthcam is a godsend) since the 'pit' was cleaned out.
Watched for months as nothing was being done really but cleanup and leveling work.

We kept seeing the Freedom Tower steel column sitting at the base of 1WT for years it seemed, and now look at it. It's almost like we're healing as the wound is closed/rebuilt. We'll never forget.

IMO, I would have liked to see the original towers rebuilt, but with current building codes, and the latest redundancy designs in them, but as I watch this land develop, I have begun to really like the new tower design. (1WT)
I also can't wait to see 2WTC begin construction (It's my second favorite).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 4:13 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
It's amazing to see the progress.

Like many of you, I've watched the web cams (Earthcam is a godsend) since the 'pit' was cleaned out.
Watched for months as nothing was being done really but cleanup and leveling work.

We kept seeing the Freedom Tower steel column sitting at the base of 1WT for years it seemed, and now look at it. It's almost like we're healing as the wound is closed/rebuilt. We'll never forget.

IMO, I would have liked to see the original towers rebuilt, but with current building codes, and the latest redundancy designs in them, but as I watch this land develop, I have begun to really like the new tower design. (1WT)
I also can't wait to see 2WTC begin construction (It's my second favorite).
Welcome to the thread, BTW I couldn't have said what you just did better myself!!!

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 7:22 PM

IMO, tower 2 shouldve been the freedom tower and be built to 1776 feet, with the current freedom tower design scratched, and the first freedom tower design in the place of tower 2 built at 1,3whatever feet.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 1:22 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
IMO, tower 2 shouldve been the freedom tower and be built to 1776 feet, with the current freedom tower design scratched, and the first freedom tower design in the place of tower 2 built at 1,3whatever feet.
I think the majority voice was that two new taller towers be built in place.. but for some reason the opinion of the public was ignored on this one. It's a shame too as it's not too late to revamp this!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 3:49 PM

I agree also, but if you look from a far distance both Tower's 1 and 2 would appear with a similar height (though technically not).

If Tower's 2 or 3 ever get canceled they can build another Freedom Tower in place. However, practically speaking, I don't think that will happen because foundations are expected to be poured in by next month.

And if they can build Tower 2 and the same height as Tower 1 on the same foundation it would need to sustain additional weight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture