HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 7:15 AM
RIP Knut!

I hope that you will take lots of pictures over the next few months and show us how St John's is in winter

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 5:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

As you wish.

Overnight we had our first real dumping of the season. It's enough to last at least a couple of days at these temperatures.

My street:

A nicer street:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 7:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, someone stole my camera. That's what you get for leaving your house unlocked while you're at work all day. Fuck.

Also, it was -5C today - and enough of a breeze to make it feel much worse. I wasn't going to bother heading down to the Christmas parade but Ayreonaut and Ms. Ayreonaut really wanted a third wheel. And jeddy1989 was in the parade - as well as a few other friends.

One of the songs that played as the parade passed by to set the mood...

Video Link

We walked down from Rabbittown, our neighbourhood.

Taking Long's Hill for the bulk.

The Christmas parade gets well over half the city's population in attendance, so there's lots of folks milling about the streets heading down.

From Long's Hill, we tucked down Church Hill to get most of the rest of the way down to Water Street.

The Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.

The Gower Street United Church.

A portion of the parade actually passes by Duckworth Street on its way down to Water, so lots of people were up on this one as well.

We stopped at the Newfoundland Bagel Cafe hoping to get some toutons or something, but it was packed. So we gave up.

We finally made it down to Water Street and decided to walk to Rocket Bakery to see if we'd have better luck there as it tends to be a quick-in-quick-out kinda place.

That meant we had to walk all the way to the other end.

Newfoundland Television was there for its live broadcast. We like pretending we're something. A long history of local importance.

At Rocket, we got a pulled pork turnover, salt cod cake, sausage roll, and Spanish omelette.

And enjoyed the view. We contemplated just staying here in the heat to watch the parade but I wasn't tall enough.

A lot of the bars on George Street opened early.

People went wherever they could to get a view. The crowd on the roof of Bowring's were throwing snowballs down at the people on the street.

The intersection of Water Street, Beck's Cove, and George Street. Our main downtown intersection and heart of the downtown.

We decided to go to the parking garage of 351 for a better view, but we had to take George Street to get there as Water was too crowded and slow-moving.

With the flags in that state it'd be more complimentary to just not bother.

And then we made it to 351.

No selfie this time. Ms. Ayreonaut took it.

There was a pigeon trap. Not knowing if they'd be released elsewhere or killed, we may or may not have released them.

One of the finest little harbours in the world, so sheltered it's the reason we're the capital of Newfoundland and not Harbour Grace.

Mr. and Ms. Ayreonaut.

Our Christmas parade itself is hilariously small town. Lots of dog and dance troupes and a handful of floats.

Last year the theme was "Christmas Around the World". The Newfoundland ponies - dozens of them - were decked out in flags of various nations.

Then there was one that just said "Africa".

This year they had tutus.

We hid in the stairwell to warm up. Had to be close to -10C with windchill.

Our hideous, under-developed Downtown West End. Normally you could spend all day here and never see another living soul outside their vehicles. Today, the crowd seemed especially thick out there. No idea why... who wants to stand beside the fucking Oceanex terminal? Come on...

The obligatory Elsa/Frozen float.

Traditional Newfoundland Christmas Lego Star Wars?

Do they still count as belly dancers if they're bundled up for winter?

Last year's theme recycled?

There were three different LGBT groups participating this year. So nice to see it spread beyond the Pride parade.

Traditional Newfoundland Christmas Hip Hop.

Then we headed back down to the street to see Santa because we're still kids at heart.

The usually busy Murray Premises Courtyard completely empty with everyone up on the street watching the parade and all the cafe seating put away for winter.

In summer, this is one of the places in the city that can feel big city urban. There are two bars, a restaurant, LOTS of seating, lots of people. It's really lovely.

HO HO HO!

And then it was time to walk home.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 9:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And one little video sample.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 10:03 AM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Enjoyed all these shots of the Christmas Parade in St. John´s! Sweet pictures and song. I´ve liked to listen the music while watching the pics.

St. John´s landscape under the snow is very pretty. What a fabulous moment!

I´m sorry about the robbery of your camera. So, I deduce all these pictures were taken by Ayreonaut or with your mobile. I´m very sorry and I hope you can recover your camera.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 10:06 AM
RIP Knut!

so i was wondering with all the uphill and downhill roads that you have in St John's it must be very common for people to slip or fall over in winter and break their legs when there is snow/sleet/ice?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 10:57 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I haven't heard of broken bones - but yes, slipping and falling is very common. The city is inundated with complaints from residents every year.

It's common in summer too - drunk girls in heels. Clicks, followed by shuffling, followed by a painful-sounding scuff.

There is a way to go, though, that's not that bad. A slow and steady incline. It's the route cyclists take, for example. And it's easy to walk. Even tourists probably wouldn't break a sweat:

The elevation of each point is:

1: 86.000 m or 282.152 feet
Halfway between 1 and 2: 59.313 m or 194.597 feet
2: 23.505 m or 77.117 feet
3: 0.695 m or 2.279 feet

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 9:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's pea soup fog tonight. LOVE it SO much!

Video Link

Took a few pictures this morning...

Georgestown Bakery makes me so happy, especially when I walk to work. The smell and bustle early in the morning reminds me of St-Pierre-et-Miquelon.

And on my commute home...

Rawlin's Cross, one of the city's more infamous intersections. This is about 1/4 of it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 8:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Today was the Mummer's Festival, which kicks off the Christmas mummering season in Newfoundland.

Video Link

The main event is a rig up at Bishop Field School in the Downtown, followed by a parade through Georgestown. Then there's a proper time back at the school and, afterwards, the kids are put to bed and it gets alcohol-fueled and more typical of the ancient tradition.

Today was the weirdest day for weather. Cloudy but sunny, foggy but clear, raining but also drizzling, and lots of rainbows. But mummers aren't afraid of a little RDF.

The mummers gathered at the school for a feed to start. The parade didn't begin until 2 p.m.

The parade only runs through the predominantly residential Georgestown neighbourhood, basically around Bannerman Park, and back to the school. Despite the rain, lots of people leaned out their windows and doors to cheer and sing along.

Along the route, various bands and groups set up shop to give the mummers time to stop, visit with people in their homes, sing, and dance.

Memorial University puts out a call during the holidays for local families to adopt international students who aren't heading back home for the break. Mummering is one thing they often get shown.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 8:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Little video clip:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 10:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I took a few pictures on my walk home from a friend's place tonight, mostly of the Christmas lights.

Set to a song from the Serbian album I was walking to, .

Video Link

Crossing Empire Avenue (the one that turns right; our ring road in 1949) from suburban St. John's proper into Old Town. It's a brick wall between our European and North American style areas.

It's still mostly SFD in this corner of town (they used to be large estates but were divided and in-filled decades ago). But at least it's still old.

The Loop skating trail at Bannerman Park. It can work in +10C.

Exiting out Bannerman Park into the Georgestown neighbourhood, a blend of actually wealthy and middle-class hipsters.

Fort Townshend divides Georgestown and Rabbittown. It used to be a proper citadel. Now it's a Sobeys, a few old Memorial University buildings, The Rooms, Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Headquarters, and the adjacent Basilica of St. John the Baptist.

And then into my neighbourhood, Rabbittown. Authentic, working-class St. John's. My favourite descriptor: it's where the old women use their husband's ratty underwear as a hair net when baking, and lean out their second-floor bathrooms having a smoke and chatting with passers-by.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 12:23 PM

signalhillhiker always a pleasure seeing your photographs of St Johns, Had a fantastic time there in 2013 iceberg hunting !

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos