HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
So in true Atlanta fashion, expect this project to be green lighted and the finger given to pedestrians. I’ll be surprised if it happens otherwise. Atlanta cars way more about perceived progress rather than the greater good.
That's a pretty damn bold statement to make.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
That's a pretty damn bold statement to make.
It is.

From parking structures, closing homeless shelters and placing them outside the city, lack of initiative on affordable housing, no traffic enforcement, lackluster pedestrian experiences across the city, Atlanta has room for improvement. MBS funding. Nor Th side bridge. Piedmont park expansion from the transportation fund. Grant park parking deck. To add, we finally just stopped giving sleepers tens of millions to build profitable structures in the hottest neighborhoods in the city with the highest premiums. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot of great stuff going on too, but I’m not going to claim it is perfect or anywhere close to it. The way Atlanta is managed needs a complete overhaul.

Atlanta (and Georgia) invests more in poaching companies from other cities than it does it’s own constituents.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:41 AM

I’ll save the rest of my rant, except for the note that our mayor doesn’t even live ITP. No more OTP mayors.

Atlanta’s looking good from the sky this evening

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:12 AM

Quote:
I’ll save the rest of my rant, except for the note that our mayor doesn’t even live ITP. No more OTP mayors.

What the hell does that have to do with the price of bacon in Arkansas?

Would you rather your mayor live in Buckhead and be a known undercover Republican who advocated for an ordinance requiring new development NOT block the views of their neighbors...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:19 AM

[QUOTE=smArTaLlone;8797031]

1138 Peachtree St.
This is an expansion of a previous case reviewed by the DRC in 2013, 2014 and 2016. A new 46-story mixed-use tower with 317 apartments and 10,000 s.f. ground of floor retail along Peachtree St. and Crescent Ave. The residential lobby is recessed and accessible via a covered walkway from Peachtree St. The parking deck includes 8 levels totaling 450 spaces accessible from split ingress and egress along Peachtree St. and full access (for vehicles and loading) from Crescent Ave. All driveway access points lead to a central drop off area within the parking deck.

Maybe some of you need a lesson in reading and comprehension. The sentence clearly states ingress/egrees along Peachtree, which IMHO means pedestrian "foot" traffic. And, for vehicle loading (and unloading) from Crescent Ave.

I guess in this Trumpian world of today, reading "the Transcript" means one thing to the educated and knowledgeable, and quite something else to the C & D strudents.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:05 AM

Um I think you need a reading comprehension class. It does not reference foot traffic. The sentence references the parking deck. Split ingress and egress would be for CARS! People don’t require split ingress and egress for walking. You can interpret how you like but if they are referencing a parking deck the logic would be for cars not pedestrians. What you highlight adds to the argument it is for cars. There is a clear connection in the sentence that the Crescent side is also for loading (large vehicles) not just passenger vehicles as on the Peachtree side. If they meant otherwise, the writer should learn English grammar and how to distinguish 2 distinct ideas in the same sentence. Your Trumpian comment is obnoxious and also interpreted wrong grammatically. Thanks for playing though!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Jan 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:16 AM

1) Since when has the DRC allowed a new building on PEACHTREE street to have curb cuts for a parking deck?
There was no mention of a discussion on curb cuts at the DRC meeting, but there was mention of a pedestrian walkway (linkage) from Peachtree to Crescent, which was a point of contention.
Maybe that's where your confusion originated?

2) If something is in (parentheses) it means that info is germane to what precedes that info in parentheses. Just remember the slogan "Reading is Fundamental" you may just be inspired.

3) Pedestrians do walk in and out of parking decks. Hell, I do it ever time I go to LA Fitness on Spring st. Once I enter the parking deck via an automobile, I egress on my way to the gym, and I ingress on my way back.
Then I drive out of the parking deck via my automobile - usually through the same vehicular enter and exit points. Capiche

Last edited by ATLMidcity; Jan 17, 2020 at 7:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
1) Since when has the DRC allowed a new building on PEACHTREE street to have curb cuts for a parking deck?
There was no mention of a discussion on curb cuts at the DRC meeting, but there was mention of a pedestrian walkway (linkage) from Peachtree to Crescent, which was a point of contention.
Maybe that's where your confusion originated?

2) If something is in (parentheses) it means that info is germane to what precedes that info in parentheses. Just remember the slogan "Reading is Fundamental" you may just be inspired.

3) Pedestrians do walk in and out of parking decks. Hell, I do it ever time I go to LA Fitness on Spring st. Once I enter the parking deck via an automobile, I egress on my way to the gym, and I ingress on my way back.
Then I drive out of the parking deck via my automobile - usually through the same vehicular enter and exit points. Capiche
While I do understand the arguments you are making here, I remember the site plan from attending the DRC meeting for this design years ago before this revised submission. At least then they did have split vehicle ingress and egress for the parking deck on Peachtree, with additional vehicle access on Crescent. Maybe it's been revised since then, but the wording from the DRC review makes me think it is a similar setup to before.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
While I do understand the arguments you are making here, I remember the site plan from attending the DRC meeting for this design years ago before this revised submission. At least then they did have split vehicle ingress and egress for the parking deck on Peachtree, with additional vehicle access on Crescent. Maybe it's been revised since then, but the wording from the DRC review makes me think it is a similar setup to before.
Yup, especially when it then says "All driveway access points lead to a central drop off area within the parking deck." You wouldn't say that if there was just one 'driveway' coming from Crescent. Unfortunately...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 1:46 PM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
Here is an old elevation clearly showing split vehicular ingress/egress on Peachtree.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:

That actually explains a lot. I wasn't aware she doesn't even live in the city.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:53 PM

I know nothing, but it's possible Mayor Bottoms is OTP but still within ATL city limits.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
I'm very aware of that thanks
Sorry, didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:44 AM

To be Mayor of a city requires that you are a resident of said city. The Atlanta City Limit does extend outside of 285 on the west side where Mayor Bottoms lives.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
To be Mayor of a city requires that you are a resident of said city. The Atlanta City Limit does extend outside of 285 on the west side where Mayor Bottoms lives.
Actually it doesn’t require you be a resident just like congressional districts don’t require you live in the district. It depends on how the city charter is written. Also, the city does extend outside of 285 on the west side in some neighborhoods. I can’t comment on where the major lives, but she was elected so we just have to deal with it until the next one. Maybe someone decent will run that can unseat her.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Actually it doesn’t require you be a resident just like congressional districts don’t require you live in the district. It depends on how the city charter is written. Also, the city does extend outside of 285 on the west side in some neighborhoods. I can’t comment on where the major lives, but she was elected so we just have to deal with it until the next one. Maybe someone decent will run that can unseat her.
Current mayor lives on the last street before being outside city limits. I want a mayor who represents those of us who live in town, not one who lives a life closer to what would be seen outside Smyrna.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:59 PM

It’s not a function of where you live it’s a function of your priorities and policies. It shouldn’t matter if she lives at city hall, Inman Park, or HJIA in baggage claim as long as she is focused on the issues and solutions.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
It’s not a function of where you live it’s a function of your priorities and policies. It shouldn’t matter if she lives at city hall, Inman Park, or HJIA in baggage claim as long as she is focused on the issues and solutions.
And she does not make enough progress on the issues I care the most about to continue to receive my support, which she received in the run-off of the last election. From transportation, homelessness, and affordable housing, her policies are more representative of someone who lives in the suburbs rather than someone in the city.

This is the street she lives on
https://goo.gl/maps/CK7nwBeSC9B2oDFn6

Last edited by Street Advocate; Jan 18, 2020 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
And she does not make enough progress on the issues I care the most about to continue to receive my support, which she received in the run-off of the last election. From transportation, homelessness, and affordable housing, her policies are more representative of someone who lives in the suburbs rather than someone in the city.

This is the street she lives on
https://goo.gl/maps/CK7nwBeSC9B2oDFn6
Honestly neither candidate cared about the issues you listed especially her. Back to construction news though....

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Back to construction news though....
Right on.

I didn’t grab a photo, but the Auburn Ave infill project (i think at Piedmont) is coming along nicely in downtown. Looks to be a great addition. Think there’s a newer rendering than the following:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta