HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:07 PM
ARTchitecture

Speaking of water transport issues, I guess the feds still aren't budging on a deep water port for Iqaluit?

Harper seems to always be crying "Canadian Arctic Sovereignty" yet he's not doing anything to further that sovereignty in our cities up there. A port in Iqaluit would be probably the biggest legitimate step towards the realization of Canadian sovereignty in the arctic, and would probably help to push other countries into recognizing that sovereignty. However, the Nanisivik Naval Port will help reach this end as well.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Speaking of water transport issues, I guess the feds still aren't budging on a deep water port for Iqaluit?

Harper seems to always be crying "Canadian Arctic Sovereignty" yet he's not doing anything to further that sovereignty in our cities up there. A port in Iqaluit would be probably the biggest legitimate step towards the realization of Canadian sovereignty in the arctic, and would probably help to push other countries into recognizing that sovereignty. However, the Nanisivik Naval Port will help reach this end as well.
They have scaled back the High Arctic port as well due to the cost. That and the lesser ice equipped ships. All talk no show as usual.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:31 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah I just read up on that after my last post. What a fucking gong show.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:45 AM
ARTchitecture

Hope this goes through...

Inuit artifacts may be relocated from Yellowknife to Iqaluit
Qikiqtaaluk Corporation wants to build a heritage centre to showcase Nunavut history

Quote:
Many artifacts sitting in Yellowknife could be going home to Nunavut.

There are about 150,000 artifacts originating from Nunavut stored at the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre in Yellowknife.

There are also artifacts from Nunavut stored in Ottawa and Hull.

Qikiqtaaluk Corporation is stepping in to help bring the treasured items home. It plans to help with the cost of building a heritage centre in Nunavut.

Harry Flaherty, the corporation’s president, says a museum could be built on Inuit-owned land below the Plateau. He says it’s time Nunavut’s history was brought back to the people.

“I don’t think most of the Inuit, Nunavut residents have gotten to see them. We’re had Nunavut now for 20 years but for our youth and our elders to properly educate our youth. We don’t have the facility to go back in history and talk about our ancestors, how they used to live and how they used to perform, what tools they used to have,” he said.
Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...luit-1.2912413

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 11:48 PM

This is long overdue the hertage museum in Iqaluit is quite small and is missing quite a bit.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:37 AM
ARTchitecture

It would be great if they do the performance theatre in it too. I know its inclusion into the centre isn't set in stone, but it should be one of the most important parts of it.

A sort of related question... does Iqaluit have a cinema of any kind?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:31 AM
sick transit, gloria

^Yup. Astro theatre. Has two movie screens and plays pretty recent movies. It's in the Astro Hill complex and IIRC in the podium attached to the 8 storey highrise.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:39 PM

Yup there are movie theaters there. But a proper performing arts space would be ideal.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 7:44 PM

Ice Road season opens today. 9500 loads are going to try to deliver 335,000 metric tonnes of supplies.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...year-1.2937270

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 9:08 PM
ARTchitecture

Northwest Territories sees trade missions to China paying off
IAIN MARLOW - ASIA-PACIFIC CORRESPONDENT
The Globe and Mail | Mar. 22 2015

Quote:
In the remote Arctic hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk, on the shores of the Beaufort Sea in the Northwest Territories, rumblings of Chinese interest in funding a new research station, however unlikely, were warmly welcomed.

But even if it were built, it would be just one of the big changes coming to the small community.

“I’m open to hearing their proposal and bringing it to the community,” Mayor Darrel Nasogaluak said in an interview. “I’d like to see what they’d like to see done here. We’re always open to research being done here.”

Last week, a Chinese scientist told The Globe and Mail in Beijing that China was interested in funding a new research outpost in Canada’s High Arctic – and thought that Tuktoyaktuk, or Tuk as it is known, would make the perfect location.

The remote Inuvialuit community – more than 1,100 kilometres north of Yellowknife – is ideal for research since it is located in the resource-rich Mackenzie Delta region, and Chinese scientists are searching for potential permanent outposts where they can study the effects of climate change and do research on oil and gas extraction.

For Tuktoyaktuk, a community that does not have an all-year, all-weather road connecting it to municipalities farther south, the interest comes at a time of change.

A new $300-million all-weather highway to the area, essentially extending the Dempster Highway north from Inuvik, is scheduled to be finished by 2017, and would replace the ice road that connects the community during winter months. The development could spur economic development in the region and reduce the stingingly high cost of food in the North.

Full Story: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23574748/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:38 PM

I am in Yellowknife right now, am going to be here for about 1 month. I have to say, for a city of only roughly 20 000 people, it has not only a skyline that really punches far above its weight, but also the architecture.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 1:28 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
I am in Yellowknife right now, am going to be here for about 1 month. I have to say, for a city of only roughly 20 000 people, it has not only a skyline that really punches far above its weight, but also the architecture.
There's a house down near the Air Tindi docks that I find really interesting, built on the side of a hill. I don't actually think it would be that nice, but it's interesting.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:47 PM
Has been

This guy:

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 6:35 PM

Looks really nice! It is a bit cold right now, -16, and so I will wait till the weekend to go walking.

Also, I found a place that sells injera and goat curry.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 7:22 PM

Yah YK is a different kind of town. There are a number of interesting houses in Old Town. and on the island. Also its remarkable some of the good restaurants there.

Then again Whitehorse and Iqaluit are interesting in their own right.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:43 PM

Happy Nunavut Day.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 5:55 PM

New Whitehorse General Hospital ER Addition. I believe it is in the $70M range. Note the purple siding!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:50 PM

They are going for the Nunavut colour pallet.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:54 PM

New Stanton Hospital Yellowknife.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:11 AM
ARTchitecture

I wonder if Prime Minister Trudeau will re-evaluate the federal position on the north and begin to invest there like we should be doing? Hopefully starting with the Port of Iqaluit.

Also, here's a pic of the new hangar for First Air under construction at Rankin Inlet last summer...

Rankin Inlet, Nunavut by Jason Pineau, on Flickr

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Oct 22, 2015 at 7:33 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada