HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 3:32 AM

RES-pra-tory.

Although usually it's more like "res-PEE-ra- wait. RES-pe-ra-to..ry." It's not a word that comes up very often. I usually have to consciously think it through whenever I say it. Same with "Caribbean".

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:05 AM

RES-pah-tory.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
RES-pra-tory.

Although usually it's more like "res-PEE-ra- wait. RES-pe-ra-to..ry." It's not a word that comes up very often. I usually have to consciously think it through whenever I say it. Same with "Caribbean".
I tend to bounce back and forth between "Car-IB-bee-an" and "Care-ih-BEE-an.

When I lived in India, I remember being surprised to hear people refer to the mountains as the "Hih-MAL-yas" rather than the "Hih-Mah-LAY-yas" that most Canadians would use. Although Indian English would be a thread all its own.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Do you guys use barred in this way? And if not, what would you say instead? "Cordoned off" I've heard before, in American TV shows.

CBC NL

I know in Winnipeg, at least, they don't say things like, "Bar the door" or "Keep that up and you'll be barred".

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:38 PM

I'd say "barred" is understandable in that report, but I doubt it would be used in that context here. It makes it sound (to me) like a pathway was closed off rather than the edge of a cliff being secured.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Training the Irish actors on Republic of Doyle to sound like Newfoundlanders.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:26 PM

Ever notice that British and Irish accents seem better at doing North American accents than the other way around?

I don't think of "dickweed" as being a Newfoundland expression, but at some point it seems to have morphed into "dickwad" around here.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, that was a weird one. It's probably just a case of the folks who made this video not being aware it's everywhere.

RE: Irish/British actors doing our accents: but do they really? Do they ever sound like you speak in daily life? There seems to be a generic North American accent that they go for. I bet if an Irish/British actor was trying to sound like someone from Kitchener, they might fuck it up a bit. I'd say our success rate back and forth is pretty similar depending on what we're aiming for.

And the same is probably true in reverse, and that's why it sounds wrong.

Notice she says in that video, about the Irish actor, that he flattens his accent enough to sound like someone from up the shore, not St. John's. Those two things are different, and although he's supposed to be doing the latter, it's actually the former he achieves. A "close enough" sort of deal.

Nudding is a really good one, BTW. There was a rash of Newfie jokes on Reddit recently, they were trendy for some reason, and people trying to immitate our accent in the comments would turn "th" into "d" and drop the "g". We don't do that. It's never "nuttin'", b'ys, get it together.

Speaking of which - not really Canadian, but entertaining. Dies at this:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 4:19 PM

Canada has a very rich diversity of french canadian accents. In Ontario (mostly northern ontario) they largely speak a dialect known as 'franglais' which mixes in english with french. In large parts of Québec they speak 'Jouale' and different regions of québec have very different accents. The most interesting are the acadiens (descendants from Acadia that was invaded by the Brittish) that have a huge variety of accents depending on the parts of New Brunswick or Nova Scotia that they come from. The most famous and interesting is the 'Chiac' dialect.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Canada has a very rich diversity of french canadian accents. In Ontario (mostly northern ontario) they largely speak a dialect known as 'franglais' which mixes in english with french. In large parts of Québec they speak 'Jouale' and different regions of québec have very different accents. The most interesting are the acadiens (descendants from Acadia that was invaded by the Brittish) that have a huge variety of accents depending on the parts of New Brunswick or Nova Scotia that they come from. The most famous and interesting is the 'Chiac' dialect.
I have never heard "franglais" described as a dialect before but I've been told that the English influence among Northern Ontario francophones can be strong enough that you get not only English words mixed in with French, but English grammatical structures (e.g. "faire le chat sortir" instead of "faire sortir le chat"). If that happens, the language is not in the best of shape.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 5:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I have never heard "franglais" described as a dialect before but I've been told that the English influence among Northern Ontario francophones can be strong enough that you get not only English words mixed in with French, but English grammatical structures (e.g. "faire le chat sortir" instead of "faire sortir le chat"). If that happens, the language is not in the best of shape.
"Je ne sais pas quoi tu parles de" (I don't know what you're talking about) instead of "Je ne sais pas de quoi tu parles".

"Qui est-ce que tu me prends pour?" (Who do you take me for) instead of "Pour qui tu me prends?".

I could rattle off a whole bunch of them.

It's more common in Northern Ontario but these usages are now seeping into Ottawa and Eastern Ontario as well. Relatives of mine who live in the 613 occasionally say these things.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 5:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Franglais is not really a dialect. It's more a transitional phase for a person, family or larger group's passage from primarily French-speaking to primarily English-speaking.

Chiac can arguably be said to be this as well but it has more romanticism attached to it, and appears to have more stability as for some reason most Acadians in SE NB and Moncton don't assimilate fully to English to the same degree that many Franco-Ontarians do.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 5:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
for some reason most Acadians in SE NB and Moncton don't assimilate fully to English to the same degree that many Franco-Ontarians do.
Souviens 1755 - le Grande Derangement.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
"Je ne sais pas quoi tu parles de" (I don't know what you're talking about) instead of "Je ne sais pas de quoi tu parles".

"Qui est-ce que tu me prends pour?" (Who do you take me for) instead of "Pour qui tu me prends?".

I could rattle off a whole bunch of them.

It's more common in Northern Ontario but these usages are now seeping into Ottawa and Eastern Ontario as well. Relatives of mine who live in the 613 occasionally say these things.
Red flags should go up! Out of curiosity, do you point this out to people when they do it? It seems like an insidious form of anglicization.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Red flags should go up! Out of curiosity, do you point this out to people when they do it? It seems like an insidious form of anglicization.
Oh my. I value my life so I know better not to ever make mention of this! (It's even compounded by the fact that I am from outside Quebec but now live in Quebec...)

Seriously, it's an extremely taboo subject and it's considered verboten for people to correct the French of other francophones or even point out that such and such an expression is a direct calque from English and can often make absolutely no sense to francophones who don't understand English well.

My kids sometimes have trouble understanding certain things people say. For example, a relative of my wife's once referred to "le conducteur de l'orchestre", and my quite young kids innocently asked if that person was the guy who drove the orchestra around in the bus. Well this adult got all offended and thought my kids were being smart-asses!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

"C'est un party que je suis sensé être à"

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Oh my. I value my life so I know better not to ever make mention of this! (It's even compounded by the fact that I am from outside Quebec but now live in Quebec...)

Seriously, it's an extremely taboo subject and it's considered verboten for people to correct the French of other francophones or even point out that such and such an expression is a direct calque from English and can often make absolutely no sense to francophones who don't understand English well.

My kids sometimes have trouble understanding certain things people say. For example, a relative of my wife's once referred to "le conducteur de l'orchestre", and my quite young kids innocently asked if that person was the guy who drove the orchestra around in the bus. Well this adult got all offended and thought my kids were being smart-asses!
Indeed, correcting someone's English (other than a young child in your own family) can be pretty obnoxious. Me being me, however, I sometimes can't restrain myself -- my method is to repeat correctly what the person has said, casting it as a question so that it will sound like I didn't quite catch it and in the hope that the corrected version will register. How passive-aggressive am I?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's great. People here would think you deaf.

Don't say you'd wish for that if you had to be here.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 3:50 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Indeed, correcting someone's English (other than a young child in your own family) can be pretty obnoxious. Me being me, however, I sometimes can't restrain myself -- my method is to repeat correctly what the person has said, casting it as a question so that it will sound like I didn't quite catch it and in the hope that the corrected version will register. How passive-aggressive am I?
I do this as well sometimes. But I am extremely cautious when I do it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 2:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Some expert analysis of a Newfoundlander speaking from the International Dialect Archive. First one cracks me up.

Quote:
Of particular interest is that there are no dental fricatives in this dialect.

Final consonants are weak, and words run together; a typical example of this is “one-hundred percent proud of it.” The vowel [o] becomes [ah] in “St. John’s,” “cottage hospital,” “not,” “lot,” and “got.”

The pronunciation of the name “Newfoundland” (Nufelan) is an example of the nasalization of vowels (sequence of vowel plus nasal consonant) specific to this dialect. Common sayings are “waterya at” (what are you at) and “wearare ya to” (where are you to), both meaning “how are you doing?” As expressed by the subject, it is common usage to place the word “she” at the beginning of a phrase (“she’s all right, she’s not that bad”), referring to inanimate objects. It is obvious when listening to this subject that a sense of humor and a love of partying is a clue to grasping the dialect.
Quote:
Of great interest is the change of the vowel sound [o] to [ah], and this is found in the words “long,” “lot,” “not,” “got,” “St. John’s,” “strong,” “won,” “beyond,” “gods,” “pot” and both first and last syllables of “volleyball” and “softball.” Also of interest is the use of the closed [a] in words “that,” “Trepassy,” and “places,” with a slightly more open sound for “call.” Often the [e] will be closed as well, as in “legend” and “end”; and in this sample “miracle” is pronounced “mairicle.”

Pay close attention to the pronunciation of “crowd of friends,” “a lot a places,” “round,” “ye (you) guys,” “whataya at” (hello, how are you doing?), “go way, b’y” (go away, boy; loosely translated: “I don’t believe you”). Note the light Irish lilt and the crisp [t]s as in “twenty,” “great,” “eight o’clock,” and “white light.” You will notice that the [f] is dropped from “of” and the “o” becomes “a,” as in “pot a gold” and “got a lot a words.” Many final consonants are weak. The [r] is always strong, though. Some examples in this sample: “are,” “air,” “together,” “strong,” “great,” and “Irish.” Most vowels preceded or followed by a nasal consonant become nasalized vowels. This dialect utilizes strong nasal resonance.
Quote:
This is a particularly strong example of no dental fricatives.

This sample also displays a strong example of final [t]s and some medial [t]s and [d]s being glottalized, as in “Eastport,” “outport,” “different,” “built,” “enlightenment,” and `hundreds.”
Quote:
Generally, the rapid speech of the informant makes analysis tricky! Open-Back vowels are merged and advanced, while close vowels (ɪ, i, ʊ, u) are more close than is often the case in North America. The distinctive use of the velar fricative [x] for /k/, as well as the use of the “light l” in final positions stand out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada