HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 9:00 PM

Thanks for that follow-up, Fab Fifties Fan. Fascinating stuff!

And you reminded me of something. Twelve years ago I spent a week house-sitting for some friends of mine in the hills above Sunset and Fountain (Franklin Hills). The owner believed that his house had been used at one time as an illegal gambling parlor. The ground level of the house had been modified at some point such that there were no fewer than six doors leading outside, most of them on the sides of the house. These were presumably added so that several people could make quick exits in the event of a raid.

At the front of the house, there had been added near the eaves a curious little figure of an owl. The owl's eyes were small red light bulbs, with the switch for the eyes on a wall inside. (They were still functional when I stayed there.) In theory, the owl's eyes would have been illuminated as a signal to let patrons know that it was safe to come inside and gamble.

Here are two photos I took when I was house-sitting. In the first photo, the red circle shows where the owl is situated.

I've also heard that there were at one time gambling ships located three miles off the coast in Santa Monica Bay.

Last edited by Handsome Stranger; Jul 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Wrigley Field
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley...Los_Angeles%29

Wrigley Field's opening in 1925, a full year before the Cub's stadium in Chicago changed its name to "Wrigley Field".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wr...ng_Day_LOW.jpg

In 1925, the Angels moved from their former home at Washington Park (which was also known as Chutes Park) to the brand new Wrigley Field in South Los Angeles, on the block bordered by 41st Place to the north, South San Pedro Street to the west, 42nd Place to the south, and Avalon Blvd to the east. (Speaking of Avalon, at that same time Mr Wrigley also owned Santa Catalina Island, and the Chicago Cubs were holding their spring training in that island's city of Avalon, whose ballfield was located on Avalon Canyon Road and was also known as "Wrigley Field.")

Left Field - 340 ft, Left Center Field - 345 ft, Center Field - 412 ft, Right Center Field - 345 ft, Right Field - 339 ft, Backstop - 56 ft. Capacity was 22,000 seats.

The Angels played at Wrigley Field until 1957. The park was closed in 1965 and demolished in 1966. The site is now occupied by the recreation facility called Gilbert Lindsay Park which was originally the parking lot. The park has a ballfield in the northwest corner of the property. The original site of the Wrigley diamond and grandstand is occupied by the Kedren Community Mental Health Center and parking lot.
This Wrigley Field was used for the old TV show, Home Run Derby. It was a pretty low key show where sluggers of the day competed to see who could hit the most home runs in a batting practice set up. I remember Bob Lemon and Rocky Colavito being on it. I'm sure Mickey Mantle and Harmon Killebrew must have appeared but don't remember for sure. It used to be on WOR Channel 9 or WPIX Channel 11 weekday afternoons.
It was also used in a pretty good B movie, Armored Car Robbery. I remember being surprised when the armored car pulls up to the stadium, there's a row of regular houses across the street. It struck me as odd that a ballpark was plunked down in the middle of a residential area. Maybe it was not uncommon back then, but it was new to me.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 3:42 AM
Pooty Shoplifter

Home runs hit over the left field wall ended up in the back yards of homes, and even broke more than a few windows over the years.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
This Wrigley Field was used for the old TV show, Home Run Derby. It was a pretty low key show where sluggers of the day competed to see who could hit the most home runs in a batting practice set up. I remember Bob Lemon and Rocky Colavito being on it. I'm sure Mickey Mantle and Harmon Killebrew must have appeared but don't remember for sure. It used to be on WOR Channel 9 or WPIX Channel 11 weekday afternoons.
It was also used in a pretty good B movie, Armored Car Robbery. I remember being surprised when the armored car pulls up to the stadium, there's a row of regular houses across the street. It struck me as odd that a ballpark was plunked down in the middle of a residential area. Maybe it was not uncommon back then, but it was new to me.
Also used in the film version of Damn Yankees (1958)...

-S

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 13, 2012 at 6:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 4:41 AM

Gambling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post

And you reminded me of something. Twelve years ago I spent a week house-sitting for some friends of mine in the hills above Sunset and Fountain (Franklin Hills). The owner believed that his house had been used at one time as an illegal gambling parlor. The ground level of the house had been modified at some point such that there were no fewer than six doors leading outside, most of them on the sides of the house. These were presumably added so that several people could make quick exits in the event of a raid.

At the front of the house, there had been added near the eaves a curious little figure of an owl. The owl's eyes were small red light bulbs, with the switch for the eyes on a wall inside. (They were still functional when I stayed there.) In theory, the owl's eyes would have been illuminated as a signal to let patrons know that it was safe to come inside and gamble.

Here are two photos I took when I was house-sitting. In the first photo, the red circle shows where the owl is situated.

I've also heard that there were at one time gambling ships located three miles off the coast in Santa Monica Bay.
You're welcome Handsome Stranger! So fascinating about the Franklin Hills house! I would love to know who's house it was "back in the day". The owl is kinda creepy as is and must have been really creepy with its red eyes illuminated! There were definitely gambling ships off the coast and I remember seeing a post about them on either this thread or one of the other threads/blogs that I visit. I'll snoop around a bit!

~F3

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 11:52 AM

I sure hope someone strips that gross carbuncular layer of stucco off that house soon--

the Rex was probably the most well-known of the gambling ships-- there was the "Battle of Santa Monica Bay"-- I thought we covered them here, but a "search" doesn't turn up the Rex or "gambling ships"-- but see what you can find, F3

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 2:11 PM

there were several gambling ships that served the los angeles area in the 1930's.

Typically the ships would be moored 3 miles off shore, and patrons would arrive by water taxi service out of long beach and san pedro.

The Juanita Water taxi alongside a gambling ship

Source: LAPL

As GW mentioned, the Rex was probably the most famous of these illicit cruisers

there was also the Mount Baker

The Tango

The Johanna Smith

the Lux, also known as the Bunker Hill....(that's where i would have gone for my prohibition gamblin' and hootch fix!)

sometimes the long arm of the law would catch up with these operations

and every so often, the ships would be subject to organized union issues

Last edited by gsjansen; Jul 18, 2011 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 7:17 PM

Amazing finds gsjansen!!! I Must say I'm partial to the Johanna Smith as that is my niece's name since her marriage last year!!!

~F3

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 9:41 PM

Thanks for all the great photos, gsjansen. I don't know much about this part of Los Angeles history and it fascinates me. I wonder when and how the business of the gambling ships finally stopped.

And the neon sign in that last photo is a beauty!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 9:44 PM

I love that story about the owl with red light bulb eyes.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 9:46 PM

The Sunnyside Apartments on 9th Street.

usc

Have we somehow missed this beautiful apartment on this thread......or has my memory failed me

_________

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 10:10 PM

A postcard of the slightly sinister looking Villa Carlotta Apartments at 5959 Franklin Ave.

ebay

The Villa Carlotta in 1926.

unknown

The Villa Carlotta in the 1940s

lapl

The Villa Carlotta entrance; now overgrown with trees and shrubs.

usc

The Villa Carlotta today looking north on Tamarind Ave.

google street views

The Villa Carlotta on the right; looking south on Tamarind.

google street view

Great old door of the Villa Carlotta.

Steve Silberman

Mail boxes in the lobby of the Villa Carlotta.

Steve Silberman

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
there were several gambling ships that served the los angeles area in the 1930's.

Typically the ships would be moored 3 miles off shore, and patrons would arrive by water taxi service out of long beach and san pedro.

The Juanita Water taxi alongside a gambling ship

As GW mentioned, the Rex was probably the most famous of these illicit cruisers

there was also the Mount Baker

The Tango

The Johanna Smith

the Lux, also known as the Bunker Hill....(that's where i would have gone for my prohibition gamblin' and hootch fix!)

sometimes the long arm of the law would catch up with these operations

and every so often, the ships would be subject to organized union issues

Don't know when the gambling ships gave it up but my Dad was a craps dealer on the Rex, working for Tony Cornero who died in the early 50's. My Dad lost his four front teeth when an inebriated woman whacked him with a bandana full of dice that he had given her.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 6:57 AM

Villa Carlotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A postcard of the slightly sinister looking Villa Carlotta Apartments at 5959 Franklin Ave.

ebay

The Villa Carlotta in 1926.

unknown

The Villa Carlotta in the 1940s

lapl

The Villa Carlotta entrance; now overgrown with trees and shrubs.

usc

The Villa Carlotta today looking north on Tamarind Ave.

google street views

The Villa Carlotta on the right; looking south on Tamarind.

google street view

Great old door of the Villa Carlotta.

Steve Silberman

Mail boxes in the lobby of the Villa Carlotta.

Steve Silberman
Yayyyy etheral_reality, I'm so glad you posted more pics of the Villa Carlottas.
I had also posted about them a couple of weeks ago (#4174) because they are really a special place to me. Living there was a great experience as the apartments are really unique! Many of the apartments are townhouse style with living room, dining room and kitchen downstairs and two bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. Tons of woodwork and everything very spanish in style.

I still have not come across anything noir that happened there, but I'm positive there had to be, so I'll keep looking!!!

~F3

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 3:00 PM

Fab_Fifties_Fan

It is so cool that you actually lived at the Villa Carotta! Do you have any photos from your time there?
Whenever I hear the name I think of Carotta Valdez in Hitchcock's Vertigo (one of my favorite movies).

link to Fab's previous Villa Carlotta post.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4174

_________

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 20, 2011 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 5:14 PM

My obsession with the Villa Carlottas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Fab_Fifties_Fan

It is so cool that you actually lived at the Villa Carotta! Do you have any photos from your time there?
Whenever I hear the name I think of Carotta Valdez in Hitchcock's Vertigo (one of my favorite movies).

link to Fab's previous Villa Carlotta post.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4174

_________
Sadly, I don't have any pictures from my time there that show much of the apartment. We were major party kids back then and usually couldn't focus well enough to take pictures! BTW, Vertigo is one of my all time favorites as well!

However, I have been collecting pictures of the place for years. I had a friend of a friend who sub-let there for six months a couple of years ago and I was able to drive up from San Diego and explore the place again. It is very hard to describe, so here are a few more shots from my collection.

The lobby and courtyard are really magical. I love the natural patina that has enveloped everything, complimenting its age and charcter. The lobby has beautiful arched windows and doors to the courtyard:

As I stated earlier, many apartments are townhouse style and quite spacious but even the studios are huge. A 1930's write-up, that I came across years ago, boasted that "even the studios are large enough to fit a grand piano in the living room!". Its true. Here are some interior shots that I have collected:

A typical funky living room in a two story unit. That is the dining room/kitchen entrance behind her.

There are five arched windows and one arched french door to the courtyard.

One bedroom has a juliet balcony overlooking the courtyard.

the bathroom

This shot was from an article in Metropolitan Home magazine a couple of years ago, shortly before it ceased publication. This designer had redone a studio at the VC, so the shot gives you an idea of how spacious the studios are.

All photos are from personal collection

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 5:30 PM

The Rex

That is a great story cleats! I am sure he saw a whole lot of everything on the Rex. I've read that the Rex had its own madam who ensured her girls were aboard for every cruise

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 8:51 PM

Just stumbled across this mystery photo in the "Vintage Los Angeles" pool at Flickr. It's dated February 1938 but there's no specific location given. Griffith Observatory is barely visible at the left.

It looks like the cross street in the middle of the photo intersects at an angle, which made me think it could be San Vicente. But I can't quite match up the topography in the photo with the intersections of San Vicente I am familiar with.

Anyone have any insight into where this photo might have been taken?

source: Flickr

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post

That is amzing and such a fun story! It would be interesting to get to the truth behind it.

Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 3:30 AM

Rail Line in Long Beach

Browsing through this thread, I have seen a lot of posts about the old red car rail lines.

I stumbled upon this one day when looking up directions in Long Beach.
I have created a Google map that highlights where the now abandoned route went.
It is very interesting in that Long Beach never restructured or rebuilt the area and most of it is an empty stretch of land. There are a few parks, houses, storage yards and the like. The best part is that the land was never altered and the homes were built on a diagonal from the rest of the neighborhoods!

Check out the map I made, and the pins that go along with it. Start from the northern tip of the map and make your way down the historic rail line!

Note: it is best to zoom in a little, but note that halfway through the map freaks out for a minute, so you may need to zoom out a bit and then zoom back in.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...b3aa48792089b1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos