HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Just listed on eBay.

Here is a new (for NLA) view of the 102 Brewery and the three towering gas-o-meters.

"1963 Kodachrome photo slide Los Angeles."

eBay

A bit redundant..but here's a closer look.

DETAIL

I don't believe I have noticed the exit right before the building with the yellow Brew 102 sign. ....

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION:...Is that outer lane an access road? (as you can see it's separated from the freeway lanes by a divider).........I know, it's a bus lane! ..right?

I always had the thought that we are finally arriving in the fabled city of Los Angeles, after having driven thousands of miles from wherever, we enter the gates of the city with the iconic City Hall in view.....wow.

And the first thing we see are huge signs of a cheap beer. Brew 102.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
NOW I HAVE A QUESTION:...Is that outer lane an access road? (as you can see it's separated from the freeway lanes by a divider).........I know, it's a bus lane! ..right?

As I remember, that lane was merely an access road into the industrial area east of City Hall. It is not a bus lane per se.

As I have said before, that Brew 102 building was a jarring sight so close to the Civic Center. Thankfully it was finally torn down.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jul 30, 2019 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Here's another from 1963. (same photographer)

eBay

I see Liberace is performing at the Cinegrill in the Hollywood Roosevelt....I don't know who Noell is.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Looking a little closer at this slide and the Cinegrill Marquee, it is George Liberace that's playing at the Cinegrill. With the "y" in front of Noell as a clue, there was a Teddy Noell who had a dance orchestra and that may be him appearing at the Cinegrill.

The clue at right center of what was playing at the Chinese Theatre when this photo was taken shows it to be Walt Disney's Fantasia which played the Chinese Theatre in 1963 from Wednesday, February 20, 1963 - Tuesday, April 9, 1963 (7 Weeks) per Kurt Wahlner's Grauman's Chinese website HERE.

The banners proclaiming "Hollywood Salutes Bye Bye Birdie" are interesting. IMDB says the film opened in New York City on April 4th, several days before Fantasia ended it's run at the Chinese, but IMDB says it opened in Los Angeles in June. Maybe they had a premiere for it in April?

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jul 28, 2019 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 7:10 PM

Scott Charles, we know you've posted about the bars of Barfly, a movie you like. I was reading an article about Faye Dunaway and her, well let's just say "personality problems" these days. Here's a paragraph you might find interesting:

There was at least one person whom even Dunaway was intimidated by. While filming the 1987 movie “Barfly,” co-starring the actress and Mickey Rourke, the notorious Charles Bukowski — who’d written the script, derived from his memoirs — was sometimes on set. “Bukowski was a pugnacious alcoholic and would get into a fight with anyone at the drop of a hat,” said Jonathan Hodges, who was an assistant prop-master on the film. “So she never messed around with him.”

This article also mentions an incident from the place I worked:

Dunaway’s shenanigans have not been limited to showbiz settings. In the 1990's she lived in West Hollywood. According to a former employee of Video West in West Hollywood, the actress used to drive up to the store and honk her car horn, waiting for someone to come out to collect her videos. If they took too long, the source told The Post, Dunaway would “just toss [the tapes] out the window.”

Heh! I heard of this a couple times, but never witnessed that personally. I did have a couple of strange personal interactions with her there, however.

Article HERE.

The Chinatown Cocktail: One drink and you're Dun-away.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Just listed on eBay.

Here is a new (for NLA) view of the 102 Brewery and the three towering gas-o-meters.

eBay

DETAIL

I don't believe I have noticed the exit right before the building with the yellow Brew 102 sign. ....

From an overhead shot:

The outer lane appears to be a combination entrance ramp (from way back at Los Angeles Street) and an exit for Aliso Street.

Modernage Photo Service, Earl Witscher

With traffic from both Los Angeles Street and Aliso Street entering the freeway at the 102 Brewery, there appears to be a bit of gridlock forming.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 9:43 PM

Pigeons. Hollywood Graham called it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Snooping the CC Pierce catalog...Figueroa is at the right, LA river at left looking NW from Elysian park, and what looks to be a chicken/egg (egg/chicken?) farm center foreground.

HDC

That's a lot of chickens. Guess they'd be considered free-range.

Looking northeast into Lincoln Heights from Elysian Park, ca.1920

Lincoln Heights looking east from Elysian Park, showing a pigeon farm perhaps as early as 1920. Eight long coops for housing the pigeons are situated in the foreground,
next to the silt from the Los Angeles River-bed to the left. Knowing the early history of periodic violent overflows one wouldn't view this operation as having long term potential.
An overpass carries Dayton Street (will later become Figueroa Street) into Lincoln Heights. A second pigeon farm is visible upper left. Southern tip of S.P. Taylor Yard is seen.

USC digital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960

Squab was quite popular in the early twentieth century. Now, not so much.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
[SIZE="3"]As I remember, that lane was merely an access road into the industrial area east of City Hall. It is not a bus lane per se.
Thanks for answering by question, CBD. I appreciate it, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

The outer lane appears to be a combination entrance ramp (from way back at Los Angeles Street) and an exit for Aliso Street.

This aerial is exactly what I was looking for, FredH.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Scott Charles, we know you've posted about the bars of Barfly, a movie you like. I was reading an article about Faye Dunaway and her, well let's just say "personality problems" these days. Here's a paragraph you might find interesting:

There was at least one person whom even Dunaway was intimidated by. While filming the 1987 movie “Barfly,” co-starring the actress and Mickey Rourke, the notorious Charles Bukowski — who’d written the script, derived from his memoirs — was sometimes on set. “Bukowski was a pugnacious alcoholic and would get into a fight with anyone at the drop of a hat,” said Jonathan Hodges, who was an assistant prop-master on the film. “So she never messed around with him.”

This article also mentions an incident from the place I worked:

Dunaway’s shenanigans have not been limited to showbiz settings. In the 1990's she lived in West Hollywood. According to a former employee of Video West in West Hollywood, the actress used to drive up to the store and honk her car horn, waiting for someone to come out to collect her videos. If they took too long, the source told The Post, Dunaway would “just toss [the tapes] out the window.”

Heh! I heard of this a couple times, but never witnessed that personally. I did have a couple of strange personal interactions with her there, however.

Article HERE.

The Chinatown Cocktail: One drink and you're Dun-away.
Thanks for the info, Martin Pal!

I read an article about Dunaway getting fired from her Broadway gig a few days ago, and that was bad enough... but your link, which describes her, um... bathroom habits... and the things she threw in people's faces... now that's just positively sick and demented! I thought that maybe she was going senile or something, but it appears that her horrendous behavior goes back decades!

In light of that, I'm glad that Bukowski didn't take any of her guff - if you read his books, he didn't have much respect for actors in general, so it's not surprising he refused to kowtow to her.

I guess they tolerated each long other enough to pose for at least one photoshoot together... such as this one, from some Italian magazine I bought shortly after the movie came out:

I wonder if that “Harry's Liquors” was a real place... it doesn't appear in the movie.

Bukowski wrote about a lot of the old time places in LA, like the Burbank Theater on Main, the Bimini Baths, the Central Library, Bunker Hill, etc, etc. Some interesting stuff, if you're a fan of old LA like we all are.

Last edited by Scott Charles; Jul 29, 2019 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 1:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
From an overhead shot:

With traffic from both Los Angeles Street and Aliso Street entering the freeway at the 102 Brewery, there appears to be a bit of gridlock forming.

Thanks Fred. As we see in your photos, that area east of the Civic Center was warehouses, industrial and manufacturing facilities. Many had been in that location since the previous century.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Clyde's was on Beverly at Normandie Place. The building behind Dick's Coffee Shop is still there.
Thanks, Bill.

Here's another gas station new to NLA.

eBay...no longer listed

Owned by Sears

A closer look at the employees.

DETAIL

for search purposes: Cross Country Gasoline and Motor Oil
- Vermont & Slauson, Los Angeles

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:38 PM

Oops! Missed a nice Taix sighting in my last post.

Earl Witscher, Modernage Photo

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Just listed on eBay.

DETAIL

As others have pointed out, that's an entrance/exit for the 101, it's still there sans the traffic divider. Here's a shot I took about a week ago of the very entrance/exit in my search(unsuccessful) for the El Aliso plaque.

20190719_152042_A.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:48 PM

I'm sorry you didn't find the plaque, Bill

"The plaque is set into the sidewalk at the north side of Commercial adjacent to U.S. 101 and just east of the on-ramp to that freeway." ...from HERE

Soooo....across from..

GSV

......................................................................................................................Indoor Parking!

The strip club can be seen in the upper right corner of this Dedication Ceremony photograph. This helps to judge the distance.

fullertonobserver

The two lovely ladies flanking the Kizh chief are El [on the left] and Aliso [on the right].

So..I'd say the El Aliso plaque is somewhere within my red rectangle.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 29, 2019 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 9:35 PM

Do I detect a tunnel?

1888 Sanborn Map.... showing both Old Aliso and New Aliso.

lapl

Is that a zanja running along the southern edge of Old Aliso?

If I'm not mistaken, it goes underground to pass beneath Aliso Street. Then it appears to go above ground along McClures(?) stables ...(and then underground, again)

Is Sainsevain the name of the next street south? I don't believe I have heard that name before.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry you didn't find the plaque, Bill

"The plaque is set into the sidewalk at the north side of Commercial adjacent to U.S. 101 and just east of the on-ramp to that freeway." ...from HERE

Soooo....across from..

GSV

......................................................................................................................Indoor Parking!

The strip club can be seen in the upper right corner of this Dedication Ceremony photograph. This helps to judge the distance.

fullertonobserver

The two lovely ladies flanking the Kizh chief are El [on the left] and Aliso [on the right].

So..I'd say the El Aliso plaque is somewhere within my red rectangle.

I hope this helps.
I think you're right, i wasn't looking for something embedded in the sidewalk, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

ETA: El's kinda cute.

ETA2: While my first quest to find the plaque was a failure, I will return. I did get some nice pics of DT Pasadena and DTLA.

ETA3: After looking at the pic and taking the Googlemobile for a spin, I think it's right at the corner of Commercial and Vignes so a bit east of your rectangle ER. A homeless person has set up camp in the little area where the fence curves north and then south again.

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; Jul 29, 2019 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Is Sainsevain the name of the next street south? I don't believe I have heard that name before.
There was a Sainsevain Street - the 1887/1888 CD even lists a Sainsevain Mission on Sainsevain Street, near Vignes Street.

From a little earlier:

Drawing of the Sainsevain Winery on Aliso Street, Los Angeles, ca.1870

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
There was a Sainsevain Street - the 1887/1888 CD even lists a Sainsevain Mission on Sainsevain Street, near Vignes Street.

From a little earlier:

Drawing of the Sainsevain Winery on Aliso Street, Los Angeles, ca.1870

USC Digital Library
The big tree at left is THE Aliso (of Aliso St.).

e_r, a little from my notes about the Sainsevain brothers:

Sainsevain, Jean Louis usually called Louis; 1816, born in Begney, Gironde, France; nephew of Louis Vignes; ca. 1849, or certainly by 1855, arrived in L.A., bringing some Chestnut tree seed; April 14, 1855, purchased Vignes’ vineyard; May 29, 1858, published (Los Angeles Star): Fourth of July picnic and ball to be held “in the beautiful grounds of Don Louis Sainsevaine, which he has most kindly offered for the occasion”; March 10, 1860, published (Los Angeles Star): “We saw in operation this week, at the orange grove of Mr. Sainsevaine [sic], a very simple and ingenious instrument for picking oranges. It is a light pole, with a pair of pincers on the top, worked by a wire. Attached to the pincers is a small basket, into which the fruit falls when cut, and from this conducted to the basket in the hand of the gatherer, by a cotton hose. This is a great improvement on the old plan of shaking or pulling off the fruit […]. This instrument is the invention of a gentleman in San Jose, and has been tried here under the inspection of Mr. Brandon, of that city, at present residing here”; 1860, present in L.A. as a wine maker with savings of $7,000 and real estate valued at $30,000; ca. 1865-1866, having obtained [David W.] Alexander’s lease to the city water-works, laid—in association with D. Marchessault—wooden water-pipes throughout the city; November 18, 1867, obtained a contract from the city to lay iron pipe; suffering losses from the flood of Winter 1867-1868, he transferred the iron pipe lease to a partnership of J.S. Griffin, P. Beaudry, and S. Lazard; “In after years Sainsevain planted a vineyard at Cucamonga, where he lived some time. Latterly, however, and until his death, […] he resided in Los Angeles, where he was well and favorably known as good-hearted, genial ‘Don Louis’ Sainsevain” (Illustrated History of Los Angeles County, p. 815); February 16, 1889, died; wife, evidently, Jeanne; sons, Michel and Paul.

Sainsevain, Pierre alias Pedro; ca. 1819, born; French carpenter; brother of Jean Louis Sainsevain, nephew of Louis Vignes; 1839, arrived at Santa Barbara on the Ayacucho (evidently having left Bordeaux, France, November 1838); “for a time,” quoth Bancroft, he joined Vignes in winery efforts in L.A.; by 1844, up north to the Bay area; October 10, 1845, married Maria Antonia Paula Sunol at Mission Santa Clara; early 1849, owner of a launch called The Box in San Francisco Bay; February 11, 1854, ad (Los Angeles Star): offering “a large quantity of lumber of different classes, suitable for building purposes, which we offer at prices sufficiently low. Refer in my absence to Don A.F. Coronel, in this city, and to Don Luis Sainsevain, in San Pedro, at which place we shall always have a large deposit”; June 16, 1855, owned frame house on Alameda Street near the corner of Aliso; ca. 1856, joined his brother Jean Louis Sainsevain back in L.A.; 1860, bought the Cucamonga vineyard; 1889, “still lives in San José” (Illustrated History of Los Angeles County, p. 815); children: Jose Miguel, Carlos Maria.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Looking northeast into Lincoln Heights from Elysian Park, ca.1920

Lincoln Heights looking east from Elysian Park, showing a pigeon farm perhaps as early as 1920. Eight long coops for housing the pigeons are situated in the foreground,
next to the silt from the Los Angeles River-bed to the left. Knowing the early history of periodic violent overflows one wouldn't view this operation as having long term potential.
An overpass carries Dayton Street (will later become Figueroa Street) into Lincoln Heights. A second pigeon farm is visible upper left. Southern tip of S.P. Taylor Yard is seen.

USC digital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960

Squab was quite popular in the early twentieth century. Now, not so much.
thanks MichaelRyerson! I suppose I should do my due diligence before firing from the hip about chickens.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Do I detect a tunnel?

1888 Sanborn Map.... showing both Old Aliso and New Aliso.

lapl

Is that a zanja running along the southern edge of Old Aliso?

If I'm not mistaken, it goes underground to pass beneath Aliso Street. Then it appears to go above ground along McClures(?) stables ...(and then underground, again)

Became Commercial Street around 1895ish.

The 1868 Beaudry map

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
thanks MichaelRyerson! I suppose I should do my due diligence before firing from the hip about chickens.
Ha! You're not the first to miss an earlier post (me included) and as big and unwieldy as the thread has become you won't be the last. Looking at the early part of the thread, it's a shame so many missing images.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos