HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I always liked this one from even earlier LAP & FW when the Bryson-Bonebrake site was still a vacant lot:

usc dl

We were such a tiny town.

Oh, very nice! Is that the original two-storey version of the Hollenbeck Hotel?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
So this building (here c. 1883 looking SE) . . .

CHS-7385 @ USCDL

. . . became the four-story building marked FRANKLIN, just south of where Court Flight will be built on North Broadway,
as seen in this 1899 photo looking SW from the County Courthouse?

Shorpy

*jaw hits the floor with a loud CLANG*

That's one of the most astonishing stories on this entire thread!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:43 AM

AMAZING!! I remember years back we even discussed the vent-like 'ornament' on the side of the building.

None of us realized it used to be the front of a church! You've gone above and beyond FW.

note the stair situation on the building to the left of the Franklin.

what's being accomplished besides stairs....why completely cover the lower half of the building with a blank wall like that? (storage ?)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2018 at 12:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:

The story of the church and the Franklin and this image reminded me of this item in the LAT of October 9, 1927... the one-story building to the north of the Franklin,
145 N. Broadway, was once the home of the City Package Delivery Company. A BP for its demolition was issued one month before that of the Franklin....
The Title building had been announced in March; it was apparently meant to be a temporary headquarters for a height-limit building to be built at the nwc of Braodway
and First. I didn't dig all that far, but it seems that bigger building was never built (?)...I see no "new" BP for the smaller Security Title Building, although the
Times seems to think it did get built. Then there is the curious BP issued on April 28, 1941, for the demo of a garage at 145...although the BP describes it as
being at the nwc of B'way & First... confusing. A demo BP fitting the description of a 2-story building at 135-145 N Broadway was issued on October 11, 1967.

Can FW or anyone fill in the gaps here?

LAT March 18, 1927:

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 9:39 PM

I alas can't (yet) provide information on the Security Title Company Bldg. etc.; but in scrounging around for info on it, I ran across Wikipedia’s interesting article on its owner, Lewis William Klinker:

Reduced from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_William_Klinker:

“Klinker, a native of Mahaska County, Iowa, and graduate of Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, was an ordained minister in the Christian Church. […]

“The Rev. L.W. Klinker was an active orator on the Chautauqua Circuit of lectures around the United States. In 1913 he was promoted by the Jones Chautagua [sic] System of Perry, Iowa for their Pioneer Circuit as the Silver Tongued Orator, a prominent speaker from the Pacific Coast. […]

“Upon arrival in California, Klinker joined a family business in the mining industry. In 1908 L.W. Klinker and his brother E.C. Klinker were owners of the Rawhide King Hill Mine in the now-defunct and legendary and historic ghost town of Rawhide, Nevada. […]

“[…] Klinker was the author of a novel, a fictional story centered around hydraulic gold mining, titled Winning A Fortune. […]

“Klinker became a Los Angeles businessman in real estate development. He was president of his company, Security Title Company, and owner of the Klinker Building in downtown Los Angeles at First and Broadway Streets. The Klinker Building, originally known as the Tajo Building […].

“Klinker was married to Lydia Jane (Raver) […]. They had five children, three of whom survived him: artist Orpha Klinker, screenwriter Zeno Klinker, who was senior writer for ventriloquist and entertainer Edgar Bergen on The Charlie McCarthy Show, and 1927 champion gymnast in tumbling, Elza C. Klinker. A second wife, Nellie, survived Lewis. The couple traveled around the world, during which time Klinker wrote a treatise on the Pyramid of Giza, titled God's Witness in Egypt, self-published in 1935.”

Daughter Orpha Klinker’s name will ring a bell with many. She provided many illustrations for a book many of us have read, Boyle Workman’s The City That Grew, as well as Ed Ainsworth's Enchanted Pueblo.

A most interesting fellow: Minister, lecturer, mine-owner, novelist, real estate developer, writer of “a treatise on the Pyramid of Giza,” children variously artist, writer, and gymnast.

Somehow this all seems just so Angeleno!

_______

(And many thanks to e_r for his appreciation of men's fashion.)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 12:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I alas can't (yet) provide information on the Security Title Company Bldg. etc.; but in scrounging around for info on it, I ran across Wikipedia’s interesting article on its owner, Lewis William Klinker:

(And many thanks to e_r for his appreciation of men's fashion.)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....118fZuMLpL.jpg

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Oh, very nice! Is that the original two-storey version of the Hollenbeck Hotel?
Yes it is. I saved this short note from the July 14, 1887, Los Angeles Times: "The workmen are preparing to begin the
enlargement of the Hollenbeck Block."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
That's such a great picture . . . thanks so much for restoring it to NLA!

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 9, 2018 at 3:43 AM. Reason: left the middle e out of enlargement

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

note the stair situation on the building to the left of the Franklin.

what's being accomplished besides stairs....why completely cover the lower half of the building with a blank wall like that? (storage ?)
I think it was a retaining wall, because the house was built up on the side of the hill a bit.

In t2's first photo below, pre-Franklin, left of bottom center is the same house you've pointed out.

In the second photo, taken earlier, I believe the side of that same house is just left of center. In any case,
you can see some of the hillside before it was cut away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

A nice panorama from C.C. Pierce, taken from the courthouse tower. The slope now has steps and some rather precarious-looking retaining walls. ca 1891. The Los Angeles Herald, "the Best Paper", is using a retaining-wall section as a billboard. They would like you to know that a month's subscription is only 80 cents. Not a lot of grazing left for the livestock. Note that the little house has rid itself of that cypress tree. It must have been ruining the view. The ramp between the south flight of steps, and those on the north is incredibly flimsy-looking. Note the Baldwin Hills on the left horizon and the Hollywood Hills on the right:

cc pierce http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...d/1740/rec/255 zoomable

Fort Street is through to Sand St, just north of Temple. Poundcake Hill is on the east. The "grade too steep for horses", on the west, is spilling onto unpaved Fort St. That tidy cut city engineers were trying for in the photo above, didn't last (they should have put in a retaining wall then). Note the little house on the brow of the hill at upper right. I like the three little hatches under the north eave. It turns up in photos of this site into the 1920s. I believe it was the first home built in this neighborhood, maybe as early as the 1860s, but certainly by the '70s. I used to know the name of the owner, but I've forgotten it now (George Miliken?). The address was 318 Court Street:

usc http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/2909/rec/13

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 3:45 AM

Thanks FW. I had forgotten about those earlier photos.

a closer look.

It appears that particular lot was excavated 2/3rds of the way down.....so what stopped them from excavating down to street level?

(did the excavators hit a big ol' layer of solid rock?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 9, 2018 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post

Scotty with pals [...] mid 1950's.
http://wstale.com/wp-content/uploads...history_01.jpg
Since this photo came from Altimeter Films, I went to that website and inquired on their contact form if they knew where this photograph was taken.

A gentlemen sent me a reply:

"It was taken in the parking lot of Schwab's drugstore on Sunset Blvd!"

I don't recall being aware that Schwab's had a parking lot, though it might have been in the back off Crescent Heights, perhaps used by Googie's as well. At any rate, I don't recall any photographs taken from behind.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:33 AM

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen this church on nla.

Alvarado Church of Christ

building the social gospel

and today (do you think this was built as a church...or was it retrofitted?

gsv

The church is located on Reservoir Street just off Sunset & Glendale Blvds

The church is directly behind the TAIX* restaurant.

*for newcomers: here's Taix at it's original location.

Taix French Restaurant at 321 Commercial St.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 9, 2018 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:50 AM

FW's post of 6:25 quotes t2's post of yore in which the name George Miliken is queried. If it hasn't already been noted years ago, I can at least mention that, in the 1872 directory, one S. Milligan is listed as residing close by, at the corner of 1st and Fort. For what it might be worth.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Since this photo came from Altimeter Films, I went to that website and inquired on their contact form if they knew where this photograph was taken.

A gentlemen sent me a reply:

"It was taken in the parking lot of Schwab's drugstore on Sunset Blvd!"

I don't recall being aware that Schwab's had a parking lot, though it might have been in the back off Crescent Heights, perhaps used by Googie's as well. At any rate, I don't recall any photographs taken from behind.
This blurry photo I think shows a parking lot behind Schwab's.

http://davelandweb.com/chateaumarmon...40s50s2_d1.jpg

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 9, 2018 at 7:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:53 AM

Yes, thanks, CBD, and it verifies there's red paint color back there, as well!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:

ethereal reality

What's weird is that 810-12 was built in 1902, but it's not visible in the 1907 ad/photo. . . .

It was called 'The Limit', and was located on the corner of Broadway and Franklin.

internet archive wayback machine
I wasn't able to find the restaurant listed in any of the city directories. (although, I found Anton Suk living atin 1916.

Here's a blurb about the res. and the cover of the mag.

Have a good day! I'm off to visit my mom

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 9, 2018 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we haven't seen this church on nla.

Alvarado Church of Christ

building the social gospel

and today (do you think this was built as a church...or was it retrofitted?

gsv

Who'd have known that this was a Christian church unless the sign with "Christian" on it also appeared on the building? (Is it actually in quotes?) Anyway, here are a few items on it...

LAT Dec 8, 1928

LAT March 20, 1965

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Great follow-up on the Pierce Bros., e_r! I touched on 810-12 S. Flower in this post, which is mostly about the
1st English Lutheran Church on the SE corner of 8th and Flower. Your mystery photo shows the south end of the
Flower Street side of that church.

What's weird is that 810-12 was built in 1902, but it's not visible in the 1907 ad/photo. . . .
Hmm. Is it just me, or does the right third of that photo look suspiciously like a photo studio backdrop?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Hmm. Is it just me, or does the right third of that photo look suspiciously like a photo studio backdrop?
The building certainly ends abruptly, as does the sidewalk. I think you may be onto something, odinthor.

Here's the photo again to save scrolling back.

Quote:

detail

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Great follow-up on the Pierce Bros., e_r! I touched on 810-12 S. Flower in this post, which is mostly about the
1st English Lutheran Church on the SE corner of 8th and Flower. Your mystery photo shows the south end of the
Flower Street side of that church.

That photo appears to have been retouched, with the area to the right of the house replaced with painted-in foliage. Just a thought.

Earl

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:40 PM

While looking for something else, I came across the photo below with the intriguing title "Bernice Day, acid bride". I think that the story is new to NLA.

From the description:

"Darby Day Jr. and Bernice Lundstrom were from Chicago. He was the son of the wealthy head of the Life Insurance Underwriter's Association and she was a 21 year-old divorcee looking for another husband. They met in 1924, married and moved to Beverly Hills, California to escape the cold Chicago winters. Her family and his mother also moved to Beverly Hills. Lundstrom grew demanding and erratic in the marriage, insisting on a separate home for herself and threatening suicide. In February, 1925, Lundstrom threw nitric acid into Day's face at his home. The acid permanently damaged his face and he lost vision in one eye. Lundstrom was later arrested and stood trial. Defense experts claimed she had the mind of a ten-year-old, but when the jury saw the gruesome photos of Day's injuries, she was convicted and sentenced to 1 to 14 years. Her appeal was denied and she was sent to San Quentin Prison in Northern California in August, 1926. Day divorced her in December, 1926. Shocking those who knew him, Day made a plea to the Gorvernor to pardon Lundstrom, but he was denied. She served 14 months and was out by the end of 1927. Day died in Santa Monica, California on February 4, 1928 during surgery to remove an abdominal abcess."

The summary for this image:

Pictured are Bernice Day and deputy sheriff Jack King. The two are outdoors, King is wearing a suit and hat, and Day is wearing a dress and holding a purse. Photograph dated August 13, 1926.

LAPL

Photograph caption dated July 12, 1926 reads "'And he's going to drop that foolish suit for divorce,' said the former Beverly Hills 'acid bride' in Chicago. Neither of us wants it to go through.' Above is Mrs. Day, at left, as she appeared with her sister, Caroline Lundstrom, in Los Angeles court." The women are standing in front of a counter and a man is partially hidden behind them.

NB. Bernice's sister is named Carolyn and Carlyn in other accounts.

LAPL

First photograph caption dated December 10, 1926 reads "Wealthy Darby A. Day jr., who is granted a divorce in Chicago from Bernice Lundstrom Day of Los Angeles, will seek to obtain the release of his ex-wife from San Quentin prison, where she is serving a 14-year-term for hurling acid in his face, but says they won't remarry." Day is seated with his hands folded in his lap. He has undergone reconstructive surgery, but scars from the acid can still be seen.

LAPL

Here's some further reading for anyone who wants to know more. Both have a rather nasty photo of Darby Day Jr just after the attack:

derangedlacrimes.com

unknownmisandry.blogspot.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos