HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:52 AM

Then and now

This one from Calisphere is captioned "Unidentifed street, Los Angeles, 1966." It looks smoggy.

calisphere.org

The clue here is the name of the store on the corner on the right: "Edson Furniture." The 1965 CD puts it at 3401 S San Pedro.

Today, it looks like this:

GSV

50+ years later, the place is in the same line of business, although "Edson Furniture" is now "Ayutia Muebleria."

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 10:27 AM

814 and 820 Flower Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
alester young, I could not find any previous information at NLA on the house (820 S. Flower) or the property to its left
(814 S. Flower) in this 1916 photo you referred to:

00013875 at LAPL

We're looking at the west side of Flower, just below 8th, and discussing the northern Lot 18 (814; vacant here)
and the north half of Lot 17 (820), Block 56. That's Flower on the left and 8th at the top:

1910 Baist Map @ HistoricMapWorks

Henry A. Getz had 820 S. Flower built in 1893:

Jan 22, 1893, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Feb 25, 1893, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Oct 1, 1893, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Oct 30, 1893, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Henry Getz is first at 820 S. Flower in the 1894 LACD. I did not look into how the two Getzes got to be related:

1894 LA City Directory @ fold3.com

Anyway, there is a Feb 2, 1922, building permit to move 820 S. Flower to 1332 Newton Street
(near S. Central Avenue and E. 14th Street):

LADBS

There is also a Sep 23, 1960, BP to demolish 1332 Newton.

As to 814 S. Flower, here is some information about it:

Aug 4, 1912, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

You can see 814 S. Flower being demolished here.
Thanks Flyingwedge for the very comprehensive information on these properties. The amount of knowledge and information on this thread amazes me.

The relocation of 820 was unexpected, as was that it survived through to 1960. This area seems to have undergone a lot of redevelopment in the 1920s -I guess no surprise bearing in mind its downtown location.

Once again, many thanks. Best regards. Alester.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Now to the rooftop sign at far right:

Obviously it's old, so I've been wondering what was originally there.
(the sign has recently been used by the Fred Astaire Dance Center, and now for Pasadena Fitness)

I thought the building might have been a bank but the sign appears to be shaped like...a crown(?)

Do any of you nearby residents remember what used to be there?
I found the following on the Avenue to the Sky - Lake Avenue, Pasadena blog:
The Crown Market located at 1368 North Lake Avenue, just north of Washington Blvd. in the heart of the Lake Washington Village District, did a brisk business from the 1920's through the 1970's in gourmet food, supplying many of the leading hotels and restaurants in Pasadena, as it was known also as the Crown Restaurant Supply Company. The most distinguishing feature of the Crown Market was its huge rooftop neon sign, double sided, in the form of a crown, outlined in neon, and flashing "M E A T S" to passing motorists and pedestrians.
There is a small black & white image of the neon sign at the link above.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
[...] But I have a question: (of course I do)

Did Col. Kewen have a handicapped son?

Down below, in front of the house, a young man is sitting in a wheel chair with an attendant behind him.
If he is part of the immediate family, he's probably down below, and not on the balcony with the rest, because of the difficulty presented by the stairs.

detail

the young lad in the wheel chair breaks my heart.
[...]
He indeed had a son Perry, born ca. 1858 in Missouri. I'm afraid I have no further information on Perry, though. Col. Kewen involved himself in militaristic adventures. It wouldn't be surprising if his son came along at some point and was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Alas!

Last edited by odinthor; Jan 7, 2018 at 1:24 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit "submit" before ready...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:56 PM

e_r, fear not: I managed to scrape up a little on Kewen the son:

Los Angeles Times via ProQuest via CSULB Library

Edit (additional item)

Just another day in court in L.A.:

Last edited by odinthor; Jan 7, 2018 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Another item to add . . .

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 5:16 PM

A family shot ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
FWIW, here's an alternate photo from this location that I found on two non-English blogs.

Moviestruckers
This is a remark in e-r's style. The first guy from the left (seated) and the first from the right (standing) look like brothers. This led me to think that finally they look all somewhat like brothers, cousins and maybe sister. « Scotty with his family » ?... or is it just me ?

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Jan 7, 2018 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
"Residence of Col. Kewen, San Gabriel"

Down below, in front of the house, a young man is sitting in a wheel chair with an attendant behind him.
If he is part of the immediate family, he's probably down below, and not on the balcony with the rest, because of the difficulty presented by the stairs.
If the wheelchair user was part of the immediate family, they all should have posed together on the lawn b/c Universal Access. If your assumption is correct, the problem is one of abled attitudes back then, not stairs.

A short bio reprinted in the LA Herald at the time of Kewens 1879 death notes he was a onetime inmate of Alcatraz.

I enjoyed the photo of the mill when it was the clubhouse for the Huntington Hotel links. El Molina Viejo is supposed to be our oldest commercial structure and has certainly existed through a variety of environments:

oldmill.org

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
I just finished fixing the broken image links in my old posts that resulted from Photobucket's betrayal of its userbase this past year. All of my files now reside safe and sound on my own private hosting.

The updates don't affect the old links that were quoted in other people's posts, of course, but at least my original contributions here have been restored.

I thought it would be a tedious task, but I actually enjoyed it. It reminded me of all the fun I had on this thread back in the early days.

Thanks very much for doing that! Do you still have the photo in this post from May 22, 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Another cabinet card on eBay.

photoantique on eBay

Shows the Hollenbeck Hotel with Coulter's occupying the retail space on the ground floor. Can be dated pretty precisely as 1888, because the Bryson-Bonebrake block at right is in the earliest stages of its construction.

-Scott

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 11:40 PM

Thanks for digging up the information on Perry Kewen odinthor. I really appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
If your assumption is correct, the problem is one of abled attitudes back then, not stairs.
I completely agree t2

If the boy was a member of the immediate family he should have been up on the balcony with the family & if that wasn't possible
they ALL should have posed together on the lawn.

but perhaps I'm making too big of a deal about it. For all we know, the lad could have been the caretaker's son.
If that was the case, it was a kind gesture of the family to include them in the photograph.

There was a 2nd stereo-view I assume was taken at the same time. (same photographer)

Initially viewing this as a thumbnail, I thought it was a photograph of a fountain on the lawn.

link coming

but now I believe it might be a remnant of the old mill. (or perhaps a well gone dry?)

For all I know, it might still be there on the grounds.
_____

p.s. can anyone tell which part of the lawn this is showing. (front...side...or back?)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC
The Crown Market located at 1368 North Lake Avenue, just north of Washington Blvd.

There is a small black & white image of the neon sign at the link above.

Avenue to the Sky

Hoss, it looks like the Butcher Block space was a TV/Radio store at the time this pic was taken.

I wonder what that cluster of neon is farther down the street ?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:34 AM

Hollenbeck/Coulter's -1886

I always liked this one from even earlier LAP & FW when the Bryson-Bonebrake site was still a vacant lot:

usc dl

We were such a tiny town.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:

p.s. can anyone tell which part of the lawn this is showing. (front...side...or back?)

Going by the lay of the land, etc, that structure appears to be off the south end of the mill. It may have had a decorative use when the mill became a residence, as well as being useful to water the garden or for use in the house. I wish I could find a diagram of the whole water-management arrangement as built. How the water was gathered to feed into the mill, the path of the flume/race to the lake and then on to the dam and the new mill which was at/near the mission. Also Wilson Creek/ditch and the lagoon up by the Saunders' house. I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing it.
Quote:

A "then" shot of the mill looking east towards the lake (now Lacey Park):

oldmill.org

oldmill.org doesn't mention the structure. I assume it's gone.

ETA

It all makes more sense on the topographic map:

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 8, 2018 at 1:21 AM. Reason: add map

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

One peculiarity of the 1970s-early 1980s was tight clothing.

odinthor collection; taken at the Huntington Library
I think those trousers fit just fine.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:47 AM

Can you make out what's still on the old mill's south terrace (at left) e_r? It looks like something is there:

google maps

I emailed the foundation. Maybe they know.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 8, 2018 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge
814 S. Flower

Aug 4, 1912, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks for the information FW.

I would like to take a quick look at the building next door (810 S. Flower)

LINK provided by FW / 814 S. Flower being demolished

See the garage-like entrance

This was for the Pierce Brothers & Co. Ambulance Service. (have we discussed this before?)

In this 1907 ad, a Pierce Bros. coach is shown picking up a patient, or the recently deceased, at an unnamed residence.

California Medical and Surgical Reporter

*I just noticed it says NO MORTUARY use. (so it's prob. not a deceased body)

A blurb in the same magazine about Pierce Bros.' new coaches

California Medical and Surgical Reporter, 1907

from 1922.

the western osteopath, 1922
____

I'll end with this larger image of the 'mytery' house.

detail

Does anyone recognize the house...GW....FW..perhaps?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:59 AM

The Second Life of the First Presbyterian Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

[url=https://flic.kr/p/V2zHoW]
Here's what I had to say previously about the First Presbyterian Church on the SE corner of Second and Broadway,
at the left edge of the above photo:

Quote:
It's the First Presbyterian Church. The cornerstone was laid in February 1882, the church opened in April 1883, and it stood until c. March 1895.

The bold text in the quote above needs a caveat. Our story picks up with dismantling the church in March 1895:

March 15, 1895, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

March 17, 1895, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

Now let's skip ahead to May 1895:

May 28, 1895, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

So this building (here c. 1883 looking SE) . . .

CHS-7385 @ USCDL

. . . became the four-story building marked FRANKLIN, just south of where Court Flight will be built on North Broadway,
as seen in this 1899 photo looking SW from the County Courthouse?

Shorpy

Let's take a closer look. Here's the church on the 1894 Sanborn; Broadway is at the top and Second Street is
on the right. The western end of the Hollenbeck Hotel is behind the church. Please note the part of the church
marked "Sunday School":

ProQuest via LAPL

This is a close-up from the c. 1883 photo above. In the box is the window for the Sunday School, and what I
guess is a decorative vent by the checkmark. You may also wish to note the two dormer-type roof vents:

Here is a close-up from the 1899 photo above, with what appear to be the same parts from the church marked.
The appearance and placement of the two dormer-type vents are similar but not exact:

Below is the 1896 LACD, the first with The Franklin on North Broadway. The 1898 LACD tells us that
E. A. and M. E. Burns were Eliza A. and Mary E. and that they were the proprietors of The Franklin
along with Anne Burns (widow of P. B.), who may have been their mother:

fold3.com

Here's a clip from "Removing Landmarks" from the August 14, 1907, Los Angeles Times:

ProQuest via LAPL

The demolition permit for 141-143 N. Broadway -- and The Franklin -- is dated October 21, 1924:

LADBS

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 26, 2018 at 7:02 AM. Reason: Burns sisters also proprietors in 1898

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:19 AM

Quote:

detail

Does anyone recognize the house...GW perhaps?
Great follow-up on the Pierce Bros., e_r! I touched on 810-12 S. Flower in this post, which is mostly about the
1st English Lutheran Church on the SE corner of 8th and Flower. Your mystery photo shows the south end of the
Flower Street side of that church.

What's weird is that 810-12 was built in 1902, but it's not visible in the 1907 ad/photo. . . .

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 8, 2018 at 6:21 AM. Reason: write it more better

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:22 AM

Quote:

Can you make out what's still on the old mill's south terrace (at left) e_r? It looks like something is there:
Do you mean this spot t2?

hmmm....it's too difficult to tell. (it appears to be the right distance from the house)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2018 at 12:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Do you mean this spot?

hmmm....it's too difficult to tell. (it appears to be the right distance from the house)
Those are millstones. If you use Google Street View to drag the little yellow guy over to the mill area, there are a number of photos to be viewed of the inside, as well as views of the grounds. You can literally street-view right up the driveway and into the building. The placement is not great on the photo dots so it's hard to tell what's where if you just drop the guy onto each photo individually, but you can go through them together just like a regular street view. The big fountain from the old photo is not there. But that area you circled is well represented so you can see the millstones, and even read the plaque that is next to them. Street view shows three outdoor areas and several inside rooms, even the bathroom!

Last edited by ProphetM; Jan 8, 2018 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks very much for doing that! Do you still have the photo in this post from May 22, 2011?
Yes! Thank you for pointing that out. It has now been restored. (Though only on the original post. Quoted posts still have the original image link, which I can't edit.)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3904

Incidentally, if anyone else finds old posts of mine (or JScott's) with dead photo links, let me know and I'll fix them. I confess, my recent repair job was limited to those posts which I had bookmarked. It would simply have been too formidable a task to go through all those hundreds of individual pages to find every post I ever made here. (The most oft-referenced ones are all fixed now, though, I believe.)

-Scott

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos