HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
cobb!?
Clayton I'd imagine. Would allow them to keep running those trains up to Five Points, Lindbergh, or points north instead of stopping at East Point.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 3:45 AM
AK

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 3:50 AM
AK

MARTA Looks To Modernize Fleet With 250 New Rail Cars
By TASNIM SHAMMA • AUG 10, 2016

MARTA Chief Operating Officer Richard Krisak says $700 million in funding has been identified and approved for 250 new rail cars.

The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority is now getting ready to replace up to 350 rail cars over the next decade. MARTA Chief Operating Officer Richard Krisak says $700 million in funding has been identified and approved for the 250 cars.

Some of MARTA’s 318 train cars date back to 1979, when the transit system began rail service. Krisak said the lifespan of most train cars is a maximum of 40 years, and newer cars would be safer and easier to maintain.

“Nowadays, a train is basically like a moving computer,” Krisak said. “That ability reduces maintenance, reduces downtime because we can troubleshoot the vehicle by Wi-Fi technology we’re deploying now.”

He said riders are also demanding more Internet connectivity on trains, so he expects the new fleet may include more charging stations, live graphic displays and maps that show where the train is and its next stop.

Krisak said MARTA will seek public input with focus groups including both daily riders and casual MARTA rail passengers to help decide the seating, interior layout and colors of the new trains.

Trains with service to the airport will be expected to accommodate more luggage. Krisak said he’s also looking for more space for wheelchairs and bicycles on the trains as well as easier access and features for mobility-impaired and hearing-impaired riders.

Krisak said rail cars are no longer manufactured by companies in the United States and all 10 major international rail car manufacturers have shown interest in bidding for a contract this year.

"We're really happy we can provide an improved product for the public," Krisak said. "It is really the most identifiable item in our system. It really provides the identity. So this is a major procurement for us and we want to make sure we pick a really good firm to partner with and that our customers are involved in the process."

He expects a request for proposals will be issued in October and due early next year. The first pilot rail car is expected to be on the tracks by 2019. Full-scale production of the 250 cars would begin in 2020. The contract would include an option to purchase an additional 100 train cars.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
MARTA Looks To Modernize Fleet With 250 New Rail Cars
By TASNIM SHAMMA • AUG 10, 2016
Great news! This will go a long way toward continuing to improve Marta's image.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:42 PM

Some new Presentations regarding the Southside Beltline Trail, pretty detailed diagrams of how the connections would be designed, etc:

(Grant Park and Ormewood Park) http://beltlineorg.wpengine.netdna-c...gn-7.12.16.pdf

(Bill Kennedy Way refinement, very detailed based on the most liked option) http://beltlineorg.wpengine.netdna-c...-7.25.16-1.pdf

(Chosewood Park & Boulevard Heights) http://beltlineorg.wpengine.netdna-c...r-Design-2.pdf

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 11:19 AM

MARTA ushering in new generation of informational signs

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...rmational.html

Quote:
MARTA is preparing to launch a new generation of audio-visual technology.

The transit agency has released two requests for proposals for 320 new electronic signs and 4,500 new speakers at its train stations.

The signs will represent a major technological upgrade from the current signs. They will not only inform riders when a train is arriving but give them the latest information on weather conditions, stocks and even the traffic tie-ups they’re missing by riding MARTA.

The new signs will be located not only on the platforms but at station entrances, said Keith Parker, MARTA’s general manager and CEO.

The $40 million project will be funded with a $30 million state grant and $10 million from MARTA’s capital budget.

Construction is expected to begin next summer, with completion in 2018.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 9:07 PM

does anybody have any data regarding the upcoming city of atlanta T-SPLOST in terms of how receptive voters are toward approving the two referendum?

i didn't come up with much via google, but thought this audience might have some resources (or even anecdotal data).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
does anybody have any data regarding the upcoming city of atlanta T-SPLOST in terms of how receptive voters are toward approving the two referendum?

i didn't come up with much via google, but thought this audience might have some resources (or even anecdotal data).
I've been wondering about this as well. I personally haven't seen anything indicating how popular or not the T-SPLOST is but I think its generally assumed that a strong majority of the population is in favor of it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 5:34 PM

Marta Ridership and Density

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 6:45 PM

Senate panel: Consider state funding for mass transit by 2018

Could this finally be a step toward regional transit or just another false start?

Quote:
On Thursday the Senate Study Committee on Regional Transit Solutions finalized its recommendations. The committee called for “an all-inclusive solution in the area of transit governance and funding” that could be enacted by the General Assembly in 2018. In the meantime, the committee recommended hiring a transit consultant work out the particulars and report back by the end of 2017.

There are many opinions about how a consolidated regional transit system might operate. Some say MARTA should operate the entire system. Others say existing agencies – including transit systems in Cobb and Gwinnett counties – should maintain their autonomy but improve coordination.
http://www.ajc.com/news/local/senate...PyozN0HODESWN/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 9:30 PM

Serious question, are the proposed plans for MARTA the most pertinent for expansion into the metropolitan area? Ie Red line extension, Blue line extension, BRT along I-20, and Clifton Corridor.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...t-started.html

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 1:26 PM

Not sure why MARTA isn't making a bigger deal out of this (or maybe they don't want anyone to show up to the comment sessions ).

http://www.itsmarta.com/public-hearings-meetings.aspx

Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday this week there are sessions for proposed bus route changes many specifically funded by the November ballot initiative.

Route 5 (Sandy Springs) - Conversion to ART (ART schedules will match rail frequencies, i.e. 10 minute peak, 12 - 15 minute off-peak and 20 minute late night).

Route 71 (Cascade) - Conversion to ART
Route 73 (Fulton Industrial) - Conversion to ART

Routes 56, 66, 68, 165 - Improved service frequency

Route 94 (Northside Dr) - New route to serve Northside Dr. from West End station to District at Howell Mill in NW Atlanta. Local route to serve as basis for future conversion to ART or full Bus Rapit Transit.

Route 865 - New circulator route in Boulder Park

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 10:06 PM

More MARTA Fast Track

http://www.itsmarta.com/february-4th...e-changes.aspx

route 2 -- More frequent service with service til 1 am -- 15 minute service combined with the 102
route 60 -- More frequent service with service past 1:30 am -- 15 minute service all day -- 20 minute service evenings 7 days a week
route 78 -- ART Conversion with service past 2 am -- 10 minute peak -- 12 minute midday -- 15 minute weekend -- 20 minute evenings every day
route 83 -- ART Conversion with service past 2 am -- 10 minute peak -- 12 minute midday -- 15 minute weekend -- 20 minute evenings every day
route 102 -- More frequent service with service til 1 am -- 15 minute service combined with the 2

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 3:34 PM

Maybe I just happened to notice the buses, although there's appeared to be a noticeable uptick around town. So maybe the service increases is already noticeable. That said, I really need to better familiarize with the bus routes and frequency of the routes around town. I used to ride the bus often before I moved to Atlanta. I'd like to get back to using transit more often than ridesharing, wherever possible and convenient enough.

Edit: Midtown Alliance has a few maps around Midtown, for my own and other's reference:

http://www.midtownatl.com/about/midt...us-routes-maps

Last edited by Street Advocate; Feb 1, 2017 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Maybe I just happened to notice the buses, although there's appeared to be a noticeable uptick around town. So maybe the service increases is already noticeable. That said, I really need to better familiarize with the bus routes and frequency of the routes around town. I used to ride the bus often before I moved to Atlanta. I'd like to get back to using transit more often than ridesharing, wherever possible and convenient enough.
If you haven't done so already, I strongly recommend downloading the official Marta app and saving your preferred bus routes as favorites in there. I've been using the app every day for years now and I would never be able to go back without it. If I'm catching a bus at an actual rail station, I always go by the schedule. If I'm catching one on a street on its way to the station, the real time bus tracker is the way to go.

I always check to see if the bus is a good option before using Uber/Lyft if I'm out and away from a rail station. From my experiences, it's often easier/quicker than dealing with a Uber/Lyft driver unfamiliar to the area and getting lost on the way to find you.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:37 PM

Adding some comments from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Here you go: Blueprint 3.0

Page 13 on the right hand side.
Awesome, thank you. Transportation Plan as well, for other's reference

Edit: Notables- Infill station at 19th street, North Ave complete street, Midtown circulator, 17th street redesign (HUGE improvement, rendering p.35 in the pdf). 10th St bridge redesign/traffic calming iin addition to capped park in the 3.0 Blueprint (p. 18), two way lane conversions, street extensions, 15th st brdige/HOV, and by and far mainly pedestrian and bike enhancements to the area. Also glad to see the stitch included in the 3.0 Blueprint.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 2:52 PM

Atlanta Beltline Progress Update

Here is a progress update for the Atlanta Beltline on the agenda at tomorrow's Invest Atlanta Board meeting.

Link: Atlanta Beltline Report 2-16-17

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 7:04 PM

Georgia House OKs transit governance, funding commission

This could lead to some real structural changes for transit in the region someday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...e-funding.html

Quote:
The Georgia House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly Thursday to create a commission that would lay the groundwork for a regional transit system for metro Atlanta that could tap into dedicated state funding.

The bill, which passed 166-1 and now moves to the state Senate, is a 2017 priority for House Speaker David Ralston, R-Blue Ridge.

Both the lack of coordination of the alphabet soup of transit systems serving the metro region and the lack of a permanent source of state funding for MARTA have been longstanding complaints of Atlanta transit advocates, including business leaders.

The Georgia Commission on Governance and Funding would delve into those issues and make recommendations by the end of next year.

Similar legislation to develop regional transit in metro Atlanta is before the Georgia Senate.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 12:05 AM

Anyone else on the beltline today? How much longer until the EST mirrors the connector and becomes full gridlock?? Seriously though, SO many people out and about. Really shows the swarms of people that want walkable neighborhoods. Makes me wish the southeast trail construction was more imminent and that out neighborhood's had better street grids, sidewalks, and stop signs to make it easier to walk along streets in addition to the BL.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Anyone else on the beltline today? How much longer until the EST mirrors the connector and becomes full gridlock?? Seriously though, SO many people out and about. Really shows the swarms of people that want walkable neighborhoods. Makes me wish the southeast trail construction was more imminent and that out neighborhood's had better street grids, sidewalks, and stop signs to make it easier to walk along streets in addition to the BL.
I was on the Beltline a couple of Saturdays ago and it was pretty packed. My friend was on the Beltline Sunday and he told me it was SLAMMED. He sent me some photos and it was ridiculous. He said you might as well be in Midtown Manhattan with the crowds.

The Beltline is such a MASSIVE success...I don't think Ryan Gravel ever thought he'd see his trail get THIS crowded and packed. I love some of the new art installations like the Mayan statue head under the Highland Avenue bridge....the art installations are getting better and better.

Now all we need is light rail or a street car line along it and it would be perfection .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta