HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 3:25 PM

Considering Sammy only works 4 days a week at most and no one seems to care, Im not sure the "on 24/7" thing is really an issue. It always seemed cute or charming that he took off on Fridays to live in PHX with his wife/gf/mistress or whatever she is/was

Personally after my business dealing with Sammy regarding renting of the ball park in 2002, I was over him as a local celebrity.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 5:24 PM

Brian Bowman, ladies and gentleman.

I hope he's for sale, cause he's the next mayor. If it isn't business as usual down at city hall, there's going to be a huge pullback in investment. Nobody wants to see that.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Considering Sammy only works 4 days a week at most and no one seems to care, Im not sure the "on 24/7" thing is really an issue. It always seemed cute or charming that he took off on Fridays to live in PHX with his wife/gf/mistress or whatever she is/was

Personally after my business dealing with Sammy regarding renting of the ball park in 2002, I was over him as a local celebrity.
Can't base working hours on 1 Person. Most mayors have more invitations to events than they can fit in their schedule and still attend meetings to run the city.

Now how they manage their schedule is different.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Brian Bowman, ladies and gentleman.

I hope he's for sale, cause he's the next mayor. If it isn't business as usual down at city hall, there's going to be a huge pullback in investment. Nobody wants to see that.
Problem with Bowman is that he's cut from the same cloth as most of the other candidates and they are all going to pull from each other. Lots of people declaring now but many will drop out by the time September rolls around and polls are not in their favour.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Problem with Bowman is that he's cut from the same cloth as most of the other candidates and they are all going to pull from each other. Lots of people declaring now but many will drop out by the time September rolls around and polls are not in their favour.
It seems that the conservative end of the field is getting pretty crowded. Bowman considered a run for leader of the provincial PC party, so we know what cloth he's cut from. A credible centre-left candidate (Judy W-L?) could be a serious contender if the conservative vote is split among several candidates -- Katz? Fielding?

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Yup. This is the truth. But Bowman is really the only serious candidate of the bunch. He'll have the support of the Chamber and the arts community and the legal world and so forth.

He's a bona fide candidate. Like I said, everybody is going to want to ensure as seamless a transition as possible and that's going to mean business as usual. This is an expensive campaign financed by a lot of people who are going to demand something in exchange for their support (read: $). Our city is already inching toward the precipice. If there's any inkling at all that City Hall isn't prepared to play ball with the big money, it could spell trouble for development.

Expect candidates like Fielding and Havixbeck to see the writing on the wall fairly early. Steeves is a credible threat, but he's also an ex-councilor. JWL is simply "not Sam Katz" at this point and all her early polling was exclusive of any viable alternatives.

This is going to heat up pretty nicely, I'd think. Bowman's as polished as they come and he's the stalking horse on behalf of all the same interests tied to Katz right now. Somebody's going to have a tough hill to climb to beat him...

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Brian Bowman and Gord Steeves are both lawyers, capable of making double that without breaking a sweat. Katz and the funeral guy are businessmen, same deal.

Judy Unionsdoasyouplease is probably pulling in that much in government pensions.

All without having their faces in public and continually being blasted with bad headlines and false accusations. I don't understand their motivations.
A couple terms as the mayor of a large city, provincial or federal cabinet minister and you are set for life, you can waste away the rest of your life sitting on boards of corporations and do as much or as little as you want.

Pension is pretty sweet too, probably the most lucrative and guaranteed available.

Katz has proved that you can combine your outside work with your politics quite easily, at least in Winnipeg. It's not like you have to sell off all of your business interests when you get elected.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Bowman's as polished as they come and he's the stalking horse on behalf of all the same interests tied to Katz right now.
That is quite the harsh indictment.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That is quite the harsh indictment.
It wasn't meant to be a harsh indictment at all. It's just referring to the fact that the same pro-development interests tied to Katz are going to need to park their influence with somebody and since Katz is unlikely to be reelected even if he does run, Bowman is a good hedge...

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 10:58 PM

I have heard that Bowman is not a piece of shit.

So, he has that on every other candidate.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:12 PM
BANNED

Looks like the Freep has jumped on the Bowman bandwagon (I'm now leery), but then again anyone would be better than the current "worst mayor ever"!

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:17 PM

Not saying that Bowman wouldn't be a decent mayor, but what has he ever done or said to lead people to believe that's the case? I think the excitement over his candidacy is premature at this point.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:24 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I have heard that Bowman is not a piece of shit.

So, he has that on every other candidate.
You know your city is in trouble when the lead contender for the mayor is being described as not a piece of shit.

And just to add to this thread -- has anyone heard about any contention for council seats? I know councillor nominations aren't for a little while, but Sachit Mehra has declaired he will be running for St. Norbert ward.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:25 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Looks like the Freep has jumped on the Bowman bandwagon (I'm now leery), but then again anyone would be better than the current "worst mayor ever"!

Judy would be far worse than Katz. Her immediate goal would be to increase reinvestment into her party by growing the number of city employees as quickly as possible, on the premise "it's what Winnipeg wants."

The apple never falls far from the tree.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 3:06 PM

Whoever it is is going to have a hell of a time. They'll be dealing with a depressed real estate market and the results of over-investment in the past couple of years.

Just wait until these new precincts are sitting half complete and the TOD can't even get off the ground because they can't sell a unit. The city will polarize itself nicely over the next few years...

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 3:22 PM

I'm not a very politcal person so not sure but has an incumbent mayor ever lost a re-election in Winnipeg?

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
And the Sun, or at least Brodbeck, seems to indicate that it should be pretty easy for JWL to become our next mayor.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'm not a very politcal person so not sure but has an incumbent mayor ever lost a re-election in Winnipeg?
Never.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Whoever it is is going to have a hell of a time. They'll be dealing with a depressed real estate market and the results of over-investment in the past couple of years.

Just wait until these new precincts are sitting half complete and the TOD can't even get off the ground because they can't sell a unit. The city will polarize itself nicely over the next few years...
Which is why the status quo is always the bad option. If Bowman would just be 'business-as-usual' at City Hall, then it's time to look elsewhere for our next mayor. So far, that person hasn't put his/her name forward.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Juba unseated incumbent George Sharpe in the mid 50s, but don't think it's happened since then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan