HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
The reconstruction of bison and waverley will be a big mess.
Bison and Waverley is a mess now. No direct left turn from Bison onto SB Waverley...and probably a 60 second long left turn for SB Waverley traffic onto Bison. Meanwhile far busier intersections across town are lucky to see a 10 second left turn arrow. Not sure how that makes any sense...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Bison and Waverley is a mess now. No direct left turn from Bison onto SB Waverley...and probably a 60 second long left turn for SB Waverley traffic onto Bison. Meanwhile far busier intersections across town are lucky to see a 10 second left turn arrow. Not sure how that makes any sense...
Its quite a bottle neck going North Bound Waverly during rush hour with two sets of lights merely feet apart...and then the lights a little further down at Lake Crest. Im disappointed this re-design of the intersection is so far off but I guess a lot of traffic will be taking Kenaston soon enough and hopefully relieve some of the congestion on Waverly.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:23 PM

What about the houses on Cadboro and lee? Are they destined to be the holdouts who are sandwiched in the middle of surrounding development. The oddballs of the group. The stragglers. I'm guessing that's why Bison swings north east of Waverley as opposed to following the Cadboro right of way. I always find it funny that people hold out because they are mad that development is surrounding them. Ruining their quite area. But at the end, end up selling and getting out of dodge after they have been enveloped by new houses, etc.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What about the houses on Cadboro and lee? Are they destined to be the holdouts who are sandwiched in the middle of surrounding development. The oddballs of the group. The stragglers. I'm guessing that's why Bison swings north east of Waverley as opposed to following the Cadboro right of way. I always find it funny that people hold out because they are mad that development is surrounding them. Ruining their quite area. But at the end, end up selling and getting out of dodge after they have been enveloped by new houses, etc.
Some of the existing properties in that area are quite a bit larger than the new ones, though arent they? i would think the Bison connection wuld follow Cadboro since it seems to perfectly allign between the two existing Bison dr's.

Anyone know what the plans are for Brady? That used to be my go-to shortcut from St Norbert but in the summer its like the surface of the moon and in the winter the city barely plows it.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:30 PM

You can see here Bison swings north around the existing houses and lots along Cadboro. Then swings back south near Kenaston. The right of way is the part that isn't green. Seems this is being maintained long term. I'll see if I can find the plans for the southeast area of Bridgwater. On this cadastral its still showing all the old lots as the one haven't been formally processed yet.

As for Brady, I'm going to assume it will remain as is. That's the City boundary, so Winnipeg will have no part in development to the west. Until something goes ahead there, I'll assume nothng will happen. Brady at the south end will be cut off as part of the PR 330 works, if it hasn't been done already. Access to 100 would be at either of the new Kenaston or PR 330 intersections.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:51 PM

Thanks for the info! That makes a lot of sense.

Hopefully they repave Brady, especially if Waverly and Bison end up connecting there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:20 PM

Once Bison goes all the way through, will the intersection with Waverley be reconfigured to something a little more conventional?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:34 PM

I would assume so. That intersection seems like it was set-up for directional flow of traffic from SB Waverley to EB Bison, vice versa. With a future fly-over of the NB Waverley overtop of the curve, or vice versa again. Now since Waverley has been downgraded, if you will, I would think a typical intersection would be out in there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I would assume so. That intersection seems like it was set-up for directional flow of traffic from SB Waverley to EB Bison, vice versa. With a future fly-over of the NB Waverley overtop of the curve, or vice versa again. Now since Waverley has been downgraded, if you will, I would think a typical intersection would be out in there.
There will be a lot of surplus land there if the City gets rid of the rights of way that were being held for an interchange/flyover. If a conventional intersection goes in, the land at the corners could be sold off for development of one kind or another.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:53 PM

You are correct. Not sure how much could really go in there, maybe a gas station or something. Or just leave it for the far off future peoples.

Just to add, I'm strongly against selling off municipal land because it's "surplus". Especially when it comes to transportation or land that can be used for parks and rec. Say something along the riverbank for example. You will never ever get that land back without either paying for it or battling in the courts. One example is the beltway right of way in the Regent/Dugald area. There's all kinds of houses and shit built on the old right of way. Just because of the tall grass prairie. Okay, so build the highway around the prairie. Don't need to squash the whole plan, sell all the land, then be screwed.

Last edited by bomberjet; Oct 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:10 PM

The province's tender list for the 2015-2016 construction season. We can start a pool to see which of these projects becomes the victim of next years flood...

http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/contracts/index.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 9:28 PM
North End Troublemaker

Looking like the City will be spending another million dollars to relieve traffic congestion for single occupancy vehicles... As if it will do anything.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...tc/2014/a13892

Does anyone remember the project costs for the Grassie/Panet roundabout? I remember it being in the millions as well.

If only the City spent more money on roads we might be able to get around this city easier. As it is now, this place is gridlocked!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 9:41 PM

I don't remember the cost of that round-about. People get trapped there quite frequently. When one line of traffic get's moving through there, EB on Grassie to Lag for example, it's almost impossible to break through if you wanted to go around the circle. People just keep following one another through.

For the new project you linked to. They should just dedicate the left lane at Lag as a turn lane, instead of the dual turn/through lane as it is now. Have the other lane go through as it is. Done with that intersection already.

On another note, the Panet/Molson project is pretty much completed. I think all the road work is done, just the landscaping, etc to finish in spring. One thing I did notice is the presence of electrical poles, which were supposed to be removed and buried as part of the project. Does anyone know if this is still happening? They put up a couple fancy glulam poles at Concordia and Molson, so I'm going to assume the poles will be staying.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:26 PM

I thought it was just the MTS line on the east side and the street lights that were being put underground. I didn't think the 66KV lines were included.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Looking like the City will be spending another million dollars to relieve traffic congestion for single occupancy vehicles... As if it will do anything.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...tc/2014/a13892

Does anyone remember the project costs for the Grassie/Panet roundabout? I remember it being in the millions as well.

If only the City spent more money on roads we might be able to get around this city easier. As it is now, this place is gridlocked!
It was budgeted for $1.7 million, I can't recall if I heard what it actually came in at. I think there was some land acquisition costs above the budget price on the south east side.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:53 PM

^^ Oh could be. I just thought it was getting rid of all the poles. No biggy, there's OH poles throughout the whole area anyways.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 11:33 PM

biggest improvement at Concordia / Molson are the left turn storage and yields. I am amazed on how much they flow traffic through.

I can just imagine on how bad that area would be though if the CPR crossing had not been reopened in the early 70's. Everything would have had to flow off and on to the interchange.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 11:36 PM

It's so different driving through there. Doesn't feel like home anymore haha

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 2:08 AM

I was just a young kid when both Mission (CN) and Molson (CP) rail crossings were closed after Lagimodiere opened up. It took a few months of the area residents (including my parents) complaining for Metro Corp to ask both railways to reopen them.

Now I don't think they would do that as they want to eliminate level crossings.where they can.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:02 PM
BANNED

What happening with Wyatt's Transcona Blvd. that was supposed to open at the end of October? Noticed that Peguis near the NE Costco is still closed believe that was also scheduled to re-open at the end of October after being rebuilt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan