HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:52 PM

Interesting blurb in today's Free Press about a development in the West End involving a local celebrity:

Quote:
ADAM ESTABLISHES A BEACH-HEAD... Adam Beach, the inner-city Winnipeg aboriginal kid who went on to realize his dream of being a Hollywood actor, has just realized another one. A potential deal involving Beach and his partners that I originally reported last year has finally closed. The Ellice Theatre has been sold to become the home of the Adam Beach Film Institute and Bandwidth Digital Releasing. "This is part of a lifelong dream to bring movies to my people," the actor said in a news release on the sale. "I am so pumped to come back to Winnipeg and start inspiring the next generation of filmmakers and actors."

The Ellice Theatre and Café concept was originally developed by the late Rev. Harry Lehotsky and his New Life Ministries in an effort to revitalize the West End. It was New Life Ministries that sold it to a group of companies owned by Beach and his local business partners, Jeremy Torrie and Jim Compton. The deal also includes the café portion of the building. The release said the site will be upgraded for post-production facilities to be a venue for first-run movies and continue to be a performance location for local artists and theatre productions. The movie theatre is expected to open for showings on Aug. 29.
Nice to see this space finding a use after NLM shut down their operations. The Ellice Cafe opened in the mid-00s when it looked like the West End was going through a bit of a West Broadway-style resurgence that never really took hold.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting blurb in today's Free Press about a development in the West End involving a local celebrity:

Nice to see this space finding a use after NLM shut down their operations. The Ellice Cafe opened in the mid-00s when it looked like the West End was going through a bit of a West Broadway-style resurgence that never really took hold.
Great news, although I get the sense that the cafe portion may not be revived (perhaps the cafe will be converted to "post-production facilities"). The Theatre is a nice space though, glad to see it will be used again.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 6:27 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Great news, although I get the sense that the cafe portion may not be revived (perhaps the cafe will be converted to "post-production facilities"). The Theatre is a nice space though, glad to see it will be used again.
It mentions in a cbc.ca article that the cafe will reopen as the "Eat Well Cafe".

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:19 PM

Great news.Had a chance to work with Adam as well as another one of his family members, now top dog at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Good people. Very involved in our local community.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 7:21 PM

New pathway, access points to be added to Seine River bank

Residents who frequent the Seine River area see will some new changes along the St. Vital tributary this fall.

The province and city officially announced new trail access points and a new granular pathway Monday, as part of the Manitoba/Winnipeg Building Communities Initiative partnership.

Among the improvements to the Seine River area include a new park entry point at Marlene Street with a new planting bed and waste receptacle, four bench nodes, a pathway and signage.

Work on the enhancements is expected to begin in September and the $107,000 project should be completed before the winter arrives.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...ce=d-more-news

Nice bit of upgrades for the St Vital/Seine River. Very pleasant area if you are not familiar with it. Worth taking a stroll or walk someday.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 8:58 PM

There's some guy in the St. B area who put up a fence because people who were walking along the river were on "his property". Little does he know, the City owns all the riverbank down there. Property line is a bit away from the top of bank. He's a noob, just moved to the area. Didn't end up hearing what happened with it. Might have to go down and check it out.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's some guy in the St. B area who put up a fence because people who were walking along the river were on "his property". Little does he know, the City owns all the riverbank down there. Property line is a bit away from the top of bank. He's a noob, just moved to the area. Didn't end up hearing what happened with it. Might have to go down and check it out.
where in st.b? along youville? i paddle the seine and there are a few people who have fences but they have them higher up, not right on riverbank.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
where in st.b? along youville? i paddle the seine and there are a few people who have fences but they have them higher up, not right on riverbank.
Somewhere in that area. Girlfriends parents live on Dubuc. They go for walks/bike rides along the river. But it could be somewhere further away. They were saying a month or two ago that there was a guy putting up a fence, and he would be out there telling people not to walk here, it's private property. They just keep on going. I'll find out exactly where it is. But apparently he moved in either last summer or the one before.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:44 AM

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:29 AM

Quote:
that looks amazing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I lived there from 2008 to 2013 . It was approved at one of the meetings while I was living there but moved before completion. They redid the lobbies as well in the building, which was a real joy in the winter when one had to trundle down John Hirsch in the snow for the annex garage.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 7:18 PM

Ernie Walter estate in some trouble with his Belize project. when he died he had $10k in assets and $300k in debt. how does someone only have $10k in assets? he must've hid things well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...bust-1.2761366

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:55 PM

Kansas City, Manitoba
Frontier TV series filming here
By: Randall King

GROSSE ISLE -- With its vintage locomotive and its authentically ancient passenger cars, the Prairie Dog Central train station in Grosse Isle has always offered patrons a step into the past. That promise has turned more literal after a major frontier makeover, courtesy of the TV series The Pinkertons.

On Thursday, the syndicated 22-episode series debuted to the media, showcasing the newly built facade of a hotel/saloon built perpendicular to the railway station, where two of the film's central characmters are squaring off.

Source

Several Manitoba movie shoots at this location.Nice to here they have 22 episodes lined up here. I hope they maintain the additions they've constructed once the series wraps up. Still not happy we lost the Falcon Beach Series filmed at Winnipeg Beach.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 5:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

this was uncoverd yesterday on euclid and grove. i was talking to the peeps at metro meats (my old community corner store who owns the building witch i know they are looking to sell it) and theres talk about restoreing the sign

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:24 PM
I am a typical

Constant macaroni is a pretty good description of my childhood. All we ever ate was No Name KD.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 1:53 AM

The BBC visited Winnipeg for this ebola story, wpg starts at 37:50, some nice shots of the city from Prairie 360 at 49:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6c27iBq9_8

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 4:07 PM

As noted in the Canada thread, Winnipeg's number TEN and 5468796 architecture firms won a high honour at the World Architecture Festival in Singapore. It's for their work on the to-be-built Art Gallery of Greater Victoria.

Info here: https://www.worldarchitecturefestiva...ubmission/2122

This is one of trueviking's projects, so hats off to him on this huge accomplishment.

I understand this is the only Canadian prize-winning project!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:16 PM
the first stamp is free

I am not sure how many others here walk down Portage Avenue regularly, and have observed and/or used the new countdown timers installed at the intersections.

I do, and I think they are great.

I do have one with them though - the first ones that were installed, when the count gets to "4", the lights are turning yellow, and you better hustle across the street, as the light is red when the count gets to "0". This "4-yellow" count is for most of the timers downtown.

The more recent timers installed in other areas of the city away from downtown, and also the most recent ones in the downtown area are a "0" count. Meaning the light turns yellow only when the timer gets to 0, or a "0-yellow". Which means even if you are in the intersection past the "0", you are still OK, because there are 4-seconds until the light is red.

Not a big deal, but a bit frustrating and confusing when you are a pedestrian.

I really have no idea why the count and how it associates with the yellow light would be different at various intersections.

This City baffles me sometimes.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:37 PM

^ The new countdown lights in my neighbourhood don't even turn yellow when the timer hits "0"... it just keeps flashing the don't walk hand for an indeterminate period before the light changes. That caught me off guard the first time I encountered it, as I was getting ready to step off the sidewalk once the countdown timer hit "0". Whoops.

So that's at least 3 different approaches to countdown timers. Is it that hard to make them consistent? Weird. Even with that quirk, I do appreciate having them around.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:42 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I have been considering calling 311 to at least inform someone at the City that there is no consistency. Maybe I should just email my Councillor. I am sure no one at the City realizes the discrepancy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan