HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:22 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Umm, we're just going to demolish a 500-foot, brand new bridge? Umm...? I wish I believed none of this cost will get passed on, but that's a hell of a pill for the insurers to swallow.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26...lished-rebuilt

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:06 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^ I'm sure the insurers will fight this bitterly. But the companies' insurance brokers and attorneys will have a great time submitting multiple claims to recoup most of the cost. The professional liability claims will be huge and I'd love to see the PE's face who signed off on the bridge design package when gets hit as well.

If the entirety of construction risk was transferred to the private partners than bravo to RTD.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
look at how BRT is being done in chicago on a very colfax style street.

fun video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7D1uA52LG0
Quote:
We've announced a vision for providing faster, more reliable bus service on Ashland, including dedicated bus lanes and median stations.
At the Colfax Corridor meeting Ryan asked why not consider a median running BRT. The speaker answered that the economic benefit would be less because the stations would not be fronting the sidewalk. Is there any data to back this claim up? If anything, I image a dozen colfax citizens waiting for the bus outside a business could lower property values.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:26 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

That sounds like a BS answer if ever there was one. The real answer: because then we'd have to buy all new buses with doors on the other side for any route that'll use these lanes. And we are cheap. Yes, we're buying new buses anyways. But even though we tell you we'll never use regular buses for this service, you all know we are lying, and from time to time the "BRT" will be a regular old bus.

That Chicago video is pretty sweet, good for them, looks like a great plan. The difference is they care about transit as a city, we do not.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:41 PM
Bad at planning ( ͡° ͜

You know you can have the buses cross over each other at grade? That makes the stations work for regular buses and its not fucking complicated.

Also you guys are getting a nice taste of careless transit. Look at the 35M MAX bus in West Valley. That said, the South Davis BRT planned will be 500 million dollars while light rail would have been 800 million. The 35M was 7 million to construct.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:53 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider2 View Post
At the Colfax Corridor meeting Ryan asked why not consider a median running BRT. The speaker answered that the economic benefit would be less because the stations would not be fronting the sidewalk. Is there any data to back this claim up? If anything, I image a dozen colfax citizens waiting for the bus outside a business could lower property values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
That sounds like a BS answer if ever there was one. The real answer: because then we'd have to buy all new buses with doors on the other side for any route that'll use these lanes. And we are cheap. Yes, we're buying new buses anyways. But even though we tell you we'll never use regular buses for this service, you all know we are lying, and from time to time the "BRT" will be a regular old bus.

That Chicago video is pretty sweet, good for them, looks like a great plan. The difference is they care about transit as a city, we do not.
Ugh... You know, I wouldn't ask that question if I knew it was unpractical and wouldn't work in the real world. I even gave two extreme examples where it worked: Los Angeles AND Salt Lake City. Two drastically different cities. His answer was complete and utter bullshit, excuse my language. If Chicago is doing it, then it damn well will work in Denver. That meeting made me angry. Why did you guys have to remind me?

Last edited by RyanD; Oct 29, 2014 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Umm, we're just going to demolish a 500-foot, brand new bridge? Umm...? I wish I believed none of this cost will get passed on, but that's a hell of a pill for the insurers to swallow.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26...lished-rebuilt
That's precisely why public-private partnerships work well - make the private side have skin in the game. You can refuse to believe all you want that the cost won't get passed on, but the concessionaire agreement signed between DTP and RTD protects RTD against situations just like this. DTP's contract with RTD is a DBFOM (Design-Build-Finance-Operate-Maintain) contract. If they make a mistake in the design and construction (which they did), it's on them to fix it, not RTD.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:19 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
That's precisely why public-private partnerships work well - make the private side have skin in the game. You can refuse to believe all you want that the cost won't get passed on, but the concessionaire agreement signed between DTP and RTD protects RTD against situations just like this. DTP's contract with RTD is a DBFOM (Design-Build-Finance-Operate-Maintain) contract. If they make a mistake in the design and construction (which they did), it's on them to fix it, not RTD.
He's just used to the private entity always being able to pass the cost of failure onto the public. It's the natural capitalist thing to do, especially in areas where the public sector isn't competent enough to know any better.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:07 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Right, because a multimillion dollar f-up never leads to litigation. Contracts are iron-clad, always. Especially those done, in particular, by RTD and the City, who are known for their contracting prowess. I stand corrected.

Way to tow the party line, strong work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
He's just used to the private entity always being able to pass the cost of failure onto the public. It's the natural capitalist thing to do, especially in areas where the public sector isn't competent enough to know any better.
That's because that's what happens. The private sector can afford more lawyers.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Right, because a multimillion dollar f-up never leads to litigation. Contracts are iron-clad, always. Especially those done, in particular, by RTD and the City, who are known for their contracting prowess. I stand corrected.

Way to tow the party line, strong work.

That's because that's what happens. The private sector can afford more lawyers.
Right...and just because its public v private, public will get screwed.

You're right...I stand corrected.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 11:58 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Right...and just because its public v private, public will get screwed.

You're right...I stand corrected.
Well yes, if the public pays even a penny, then the public is getting screwed. Pretty sure that happens, even if it's only in legal fees. But no, I don't think the public gets screwed inherently. Just RTD. RTD hasn't exactly demonstrated a decade of competence. There's a reason getting "railroaded" is a verb in common usage, perhaps they should've seen that one coming!

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:08 AM

Not to sound too stupid, but what is the advantage of BRT in the center of the street as opposed to the sides of the street? I personally don't like the idea of being dumped into the middle of the street when I get off a bus. I imagine I could get used to it though. I guess if they have a landscaped center median, that could be a nice feature.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:13 AM
Bad at planning ( ͡° ͜

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM View Post
Not to sound too stupid, but what is the advantage of BRT in the center of the street as opposed to the sides of the street? I personally don't like the idea of being dumped into the middle of the street when I get off a bus. I imagine I could get used to it though. I guess if they have a landscaped center median, that could be a nice feature.
Stations ae busier, no conflicts with parking and sidewalk, makes the bus more visible, smaller conflicts with turning lanes.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:32 AM
Bad at planning ( ͡° ͜

EDIT: my iPad is failing to iPad so I wilk have to share the link at a later time.

Off to the right you can see how a station would be set up to service regular buses... Someone maybe share this with the Colfax BRT team?

EDIT: http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/Detai...BRT4112014.pdf

Last edited by jubguy3; Yesterday at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:46 AM

A median LRT line was originally planned on E. Colfax in the 1980's. I found this document in the Auraria Library a short while ago.

Last edited by Zmapper; Yesterday at 3:53 AM. Reason: Image Size

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:20 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
EDIT: my iPad is failing to iPad so I wilk have to share the link at a later time.

Off to the right you can see how a station would be set up to service regular buses... Someone maybe share this with the Colfax BRT team?

EDIT: http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/Detai...BRT4112014.pdf
That looks perfectly suited for Salt Lake's giant-ass streets, not so much for Colfax. I'm beginning to see why they when with the sidewalking loading for BRT: it takes up a lot less room and since we aren't willing to take parking, or even a single general traffic lane, space maximization is the key.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Ugh... You know, I wouldn't ask that question if I knew it was unpractical and wouldn't work in the real world. I even gave two extreme examples where it worked: Los Angeles AND Salt Lake City. Two drastically different cities. His answer was complete and utter bullshit, excuse my language.
The bizarre thing was that he even acknowledged median lanes would be a better design and solve some of the problems such as parking, but then dismissed it out of hand because it wouldn't bring as much economic benefit. Weird.

Old Posted Today, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Not really. The annual report to DRCOG includes all sorts of good stuff: https://drcog.org/sites/drcog/files/...e%20Report.pdf

Including:

And yes, it looks like 62 minutes between Ridgegate and Peoria, so with the transfer, 90+ is probably correct.
Thanks! I couldn't find it on the Fas-Tracks site
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Today, 6:11 PM

Quote:
... And we are cheap.

1) Does RTD not have to be cheap? Or are they flush with money that I'm not aware of?

2) So far as that Chicago BRT goes that's a fricken vision. People can envision whatever their heart desires. Get back to me when it becomes reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That looks perfectly suited for Salt Lake's giant-ass streets, not so much for Colfax. I'm beginning to see why they when with the sidewalking loading for BRT: it takes up a lot less room and since we aren't willing to take parking, or even a single general traffic lane, space maximization is the key.
Makes sense to me. Some of this popped into my mind as well. Whether RTD trying to be all things to all interested parties is a good idea or not, is a good question.

That and the fact that (to the best of my knowledge) RTD is having to cobble together funds to get even what they've proposed done. Whether it would be better to wait a decade to see if more funds could be found is a different question.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West