HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 12:17 AM

500 meters > 0 meters

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 12:50 PM

Yeah, absolutely. I'm happy with any cycling improvements... I'm just impatient, I guess

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 12:08 PM

The Ward One councillor’s assistant sent out community updates on Friday that included this about the cycling lanes:

“The City is currently constructing a 3m wide bike path behind the existing sidewalk on the east side of Longwood Rd. Due to the existing constricted street design of the bridge over Hwy 403, the bikes will be directed to merge with autos in the curb lane through this section north of Frid St. The new traffic signals at Frid St will provide a well-defined transition point for cyclists to switch between the bike path south of Frid St and the shared on-street design north of Frid St until the bridge is replaced.

On Aberdeen Ave, eastbound cyclists will be able to ride on a shared-use facility on the south side of Aberdeen Ave.”

The lights at Frid were replaced last year, if I recall correctly…and now new signals again. Also, mattgrande, you’re right that the gap between Frid and Main is problematic. They could have gone to the lights at the MIP parking lot…oh, well.

Another quibble: I don’t think anyone knows what these are. I saw several eastbound cyclists on the sidewalk on the north side of Aberdeen this morning, and I don’t blame them as the three-meter-wide tarmac does not scream “bike lane.” Hopefully good signage is coming.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 1:55 AM

Some new renderings...

Source

McMaster Innovation Park Emerging Technologies Centre Site A:

Source

Source

McMaster Innovation Park Emerging Technologies Centre Site B:

Source

Source

Source

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 3:53 AM

Finally, an update! Thanks much.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 4:04 AM

no problem

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 4:43 AM

Are all of these actually happening?! Damn, if so, that area is going to get a huge aesthetic boost. It needs it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 1:24 PM

As davidcapppi asked, have these actually been given the go ahead and have funding?

Also what are the two buildings at the top right and bottom left of the first image that are not labeled. Is the one in the top right the much talked about hotel?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
As davidcapppi asked, have these actually been given the go ahead and have funding?

Also what are the two buildings at the top right and bottom left of the first image that are not labeled. Is the one in the top right the much talked about hotel?
I'm not sure about any of the funding or approvals, but the McMaster Innovation Park website says that the Innovation Park Emerging Technologies Centre Site A is currently in development, so it should be next.

The two buildings at the top right are the hotel (the white building, which is most likely a placeholder design), and the Atrium Building which is already complete.

The building in the bottom left is just another placeholder design for a future development. Original plans had the next phase being built on that spot, but that has now been switched to the Innovation Park Emerging Technologies Centre Site A's spot.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 10:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

Pretty positive the "McMaster Innovation Park Emerging Technologies Centre Site A" is the proposed building for the Biomedical Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing aka BEAM.

All the funding is in place from the City, Province, McMaster but I believe we're still waiting to hear back from the Feds.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Some new renderings...

Source

McMaster Innovation Park Emerging Technologies Centre Site A:

Source

Source

McMaster Innovation Park Emerging Technologies Centre Site B:

Source

Source

Source
From an extremely reliable source.

These renderings are old. The only one that is close is “Site A”. The building is planned to look like that but may have a different finish and still subject to a lot of changes. The basic style is correct. A building with a glass atrium on the side. They plan on adding a future building to the other side of the atrium. Presently it is planned to be a medical research building. There is no money at this time for this building!

The hotel is dead again. The board at Mac can’t seem to get its act together.

The next building to be built is the “Fraunhofer-lZl Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology”. This is going to the south of the MARC building (McMaster Automotive Research Centre). I did not find out if they are separating the building or leaving them attached. The final renderings are not completed yet. 100% of the funding is not in the bank yet. They are waiting for the feds. They hope to start construction in January or February pending how long the building department holds up the permits. They caused more than a 6 month delay in the start of the MARC building.

There is no funding for any of the other building yet.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:43 PM

so say goodbye to the careport centre?

I assume when you say building to the south of MARC it's the careport floorspace

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:06 PM
Ham-burgher

It's my understanding that Careport Centre was never going to be a permanent facility. Just a space leased out for commercial use until MIP needed it for R&D activities.

Given that it's generated business and hosted quite a few events and shows, I could see another such facility being set up elsewhere in the city (perhaps in the same kind of building - a large and underused warehouse or industrial building)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It's my understanding that Careport Centre was never going to be a permanent facility. Just a space leased out for commercial use until MIP needed it for R&D activities.

Given that it's generated business and hosted quite a few events and shows, I could see another such facility being set up elsewhere in the city (perhaps in the same kind of building - a large and underused warehouse or industrial building)
I think you're right. I remember they were on an unsecured temporary lease. Looks like it may not get renewed in the upcoming year.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:02 AM

Apparently on March 11, MIP took possession of the TH&B lands to the east of their property. There has to be some environmental remediation on this property, especially the old round house site before anything goes in. The city is responsible for the extension of Frid Street. This was the property that a power centre was proposed for.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 8:10 AM
Ham-burgher

That's a pretty substantial addition, and a natural one too. I'd really love to see the development of this park accelerate though.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 11:54 AM

Yeah, it seems like any progress on the site has halted all together.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 5:48 PM

I think unfortunately that the Innovation Park lost some momentum when Trivaris imploded.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:23 PM

MIP AWARDED THE EMERGING RESEARCH PARK AWARD AT THE AURP INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

McMaster Innovation Park (MIP) is pleased to announce that it has been awarded the 2015 Association of University Research Parks (AURP) Emerging Research Park Award at the AURP Interna-tional Conference in Buffalo NY earlier today.

The AURP Emerging Research Park Award recognizes a park, in operation less than 10 years, which excels in moving technology from the laboratory to economically viable business activities.

In providing the award the AURP recognized MIP’s efforts in supporting innovation and commercialization by fostering a community of engaged companies, researchers, and business incuba-tion and acceleration activities. MIP partners offer entrepreneurship mentoring, assistance with IP and business plans, City permits and licensing as well as funding and research commercialization.

“MIP is creating a physical and virtual environment where entrepreneurs and researchers can flourish together - it is an essential piece of the Hamilton innovation ecosystem” states Zach Douglas, MIP’s President and CEO.

McMaster Innovation Park (MIP), located in Hamilton Ontario, supports research, engineering and technology startups, business collaboration with McMaster University, and colocation space for international soft landings. The site includes three sustainable (one LEED Platinum and one LEED Gold) buildings covering 480,000 sq ft of custom laboratories, offices and common ele-ments on part of 50 acres of brownfield.

The Association of University Research Parks (AURP) is a non-profit international organization, of research parks designed to promote research institute-industry relations, to foster innovation, and to facilitate the transfer of technology from such institutions to the private sector.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 12:54 AM

^It has been pretty quiet down on Longwood, however. Everything okay?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton