HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:09 PM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:04 PM

Wow. A red/closure issued for this long-established restaurant. Looking at the infractions, I'm not sure I'd go ever go there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Wow. A red/closure issued for this long-established restaurant. Looking at the infractions, I'm not sure I'd go ever go there.
Interesting they had just passed inspection in June and many times before then.

Were none of these problems apparent then? I mean its not like things like this just happen in 4 months:

Mechanical ventilation operable where required (Not in Compliance)

Lighting adequate for food preparation and cleaning (Not in Compliance)

Equipment, non-food contact surfaces and linen are maintained, designed, constructed, installed and accessible for cleaning (Not in Compliance)

Floors, walls, and ceilings clean and in good repair (Not in Compliance)

Too bad, I enjoyed eating there. Also if there is a pest infestation wouldn't it affect the B&T Pho place in the same building

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Interesting they had just passed inspection in June and many times before then.

Were none of these problems apparent then? I mean its not like things like this just happen in 4 months....

We don't know the chain of events. Perhaps a much tougher new inspector went to the restaurant and looked very hard at everything.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 9:06 PM

I just walked by and they have a conditional pass dated today (Oct. 9) and a sign saying they will be open tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:03 AM

The refrigeration infraction was corrected during re-inspection, but a half-dozen infractions remain outstanding.

Last edited by thistleclub; Oct 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:49 PM

Chophouse workers say they are owed

Complaints about unpaid bills continue to dog 28 Lister Chophouse Grill and its owner Chris DesRoches.

Most publicly is the restaurant's website, 28lister.com, which appears as a black screen with the polite but pointed words: "Due to lack of payment. This website is closed. If you are Chris DesRoches please contact your webmaster."

Employees, from busboys to sommeliers and executive chefs, say they are owed money, too.

A food supplier says it will launch legal action, joining a list of at least four contractors suing DesRoches and 28 Lister Restaurants Inc. for lack of payment.

Even DesRoches' former PR handler is speaking out.

The long-delayed restaurant in the city-owned Lister building has been open a little more than a month. The high-end eatery, featuring doormen and $139 steaks, was granted a 10-year lease with the city as of spring 2013.

Along with that lease came $267,000 for leasehold improvements funded by taxpayers.

DesRoches, whose troubled financial past was documented by The Spectator in June, says he's had to let go employees for tardiness, absenteeism and theft. He says they are seeking revenge and their "15 minutes of fame," by talking to the media.

He says employees not terminated have been paid by email transfers, of which he has a record.

"My bookkeeper, the banks and myself have complete and clear records, and I assure you that these claims are just that … bogus, vexatious and unjustifiable claims."

In rambling, invective-filled emails to The Spectator that mirror his behaviour on social media, he repeatedly threatens to take legal action against those speaking out against him, along with the newspaper. He also says he will post the names of complaining former employees online so that future employers can judge their character.

He says: "Real issues and complaints go to the labor (sic) board not the local rag."

His website was shut down, he says, because it was "hacked by a malicious former webmaster …" He claims to have launched legal action. The Spectator was unable to track down the webmaster.

DesRoches says contractors not paid didn't provide the work or supplies as agreed.

"I have a very high standard and I will accept nothing less."

He also says he has solid business relationships with many suppliers and contractors. The Spectator contacted the names he provided. Those who responded said they had conducted only minimal business with DesRoches and payment was required at the time of purchase.

Another, a contractor, declined to act as a reference, saying, "I don't have a lot of nice things to say. I'm not going to lie for him."

Haley Sweet handled DesRoches' media and public relations for about six months. The owner of Titian Public Relations Marketing says she's owed something less than $2,000.

"I'm pretty much sure I will die of suffocation before I get paid. I can't hold my breath that long," she said.

More damaging, she says, is being associated with a business owner so unwilling to take advice about responding to criticism or questions about his past. Sweet quit working with DesRoches shortly after the Spectator investigation into his financial background was published.

When she asked to be paid for her services, DesRoches threatened legal action, she says.

"It honestly makes me feel sick that I wanted to help this man grow his business."

At the time, The Spectator documented DesRoches' personal and business financial troubles, four contractors had filed lawsuits claiming they hadn't been paid for work done on the restaurant. In response, DesRoches said the work had been shoddy and he was taking legal action of his own.

Spectator reporter Steve Buist found DesRoches has declared personal bankruptcy, been associated with four corporate bankruptcies, been forced into receivership and faced a long list of lawsuits against him and former businesses.

He said he has been a victim of identity theft.

Former executive chef Kelly Wedekind says he's owed money. DesRoches fired him Sept. 13.

"I can't allow him to do this to other staff," said Wedekind, who says he's got 30 years of experience. "I feel really embarrassed after all these years in the business that I could be taken to this degree."

Interviews with contractors and former employees show a pattern of repeated promises for payment before DesRoches becomes aggressive, issuing profanity-laced messages, complaints about poor work performance and threats to ruin his debtors' reputations on social media.

Ryan Legault, the former sommelier, says DesRoches called the police with allegations of theft against him. (Hamilton police say no charges have been laid against any employee of 28 Lister.)

Legault has filed a complaint with the Ministry of Labour for money he's owed.

Legault says he was hopeful 28 Lister could give him the experience he wanted, but he soon saw red flags. He began work with the restaurant last November and found himself having to advocate for proper treatment of staff and dealing with creditors trying to get their money.

"He ducked and hid. He'd tell people to come in to pick up a cheque and then take off."

Legault, fed up with repeated dates for opening being missed, left in early July. But first, he warned other staff to cut their losses and leave.

He's now taking to social media to distance himself from the restaurant and telling his story on a blog.

But a current server at 28 Lister says DesRoches is "not a bad person" and has always paid him properly. Drew (who didn't want his last name published) also worked for DesRoches for six years at the former La Costa chain.

He said the opening weeks of 28 Lister have had rocky moments, but those are being worked out. "I believe in this and I think it's a great product."

A group of four teenagers who were doormen or busboys told The Spectator they're determined to get their money from DesRoches. They all say they were promised their wages would come in various email money transfers but it never arrives.

They say DesRoches offers plenty of reasons: their Internet service provider is at fault; there are problems with his bank or the receiver's bank; the emails are going into junk mail folders.

Quan Nguyen, 18, believes none of it. He says he's owed about $200 plus tips for his work as a busboy.

"I get email transfers all the time and there is never a problem," he said. "He's trying to sweet talk me out of it, but it's not going work."

All four say they've sent repeated messages and frequently drop in to the restaurant but DesRoches never replies. They talk about waking up repeatedly in the night to check their email for payment to cover their bills.

"I'm in debt because of him," said Suhad Ismail, 17, a fellow busboy.

"I invested my time into this restaurant and got nothing in return. He basically has our money inside his pocket."

One current employee said he got a paycheque paying a tiny fraction of the 70 hours he was owed. All the employees are in the same boat, he says.

Why do they stay? The Spectator asked.

"Despair, I think."

Employees can file complaints for unpaid wages at the employment standards branch of the Ministry of Labour. Workers can also call 1-800-531-5551.

Employment lawyer Ed Canning says it's easy to file a complaint and it doesn't require a lawyer.

"If, out of a single complaint they get a sniff there is a broader problem or repeated violations, they will do an audit."

It is the employer's obligation to prove employees have been paid, said Canning. That includes proper tracking of hours and providing proper pay stubs.

"My advice to employees who aren't getting paid is usually the same: Quit wasting time and get out. Things aren't going to get better."

At this time, there is no database of upheld complaints that could warn a potential employee about a business's practices, says a ministry spokesperson.

mmacleod@thespec.com

905-526-3408 | @meredithmacleod

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/49...they-are-owed/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 3:05 PM

I tried Mafu's Kitchen in the Hamilton City Center yesterday. Good West African food for the price.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:28 PM

the whole lister block chophouse situation is a joke. Regardless of who is telling the truth the City shouldn't have chosen him as the winning bidder for the space given his rocky past which seems to be popping up again.

It isn't a coincidence that drama and scandals continue to follow him wherever he goes. As the saying goes "where there is smoke, there is usually fire"

Heck, school volunteers need a criminal background check performed before being granted permission to volunteer. Never mind someone getting a $250 000 hand out from the city.

His 4 corporate bankruptcies and personal bankruptcy, although not part of a criminal record is public information which can easily be obtained. It should have been a red flag in the selection process.

someone at the city dropped the ball and should be held accountable.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
The refrigeration infraction was corrected during re-inspection, but a half-dozen infractions remain outstanding.
I can't find Mex-I-Can on the site any more. Seems to have vanished from foodsafetyzone.ca

I have searched by name, and browsed by area. Nothing. Weird.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
I can't find Mex-I-Can on the site any more. Seems to have vanished from foodsafetyzone.ca

I have searched by name, and browsed by area. Nothing. Weird.

You're right... and that's not the only place missing. When I looked before, I just typed in "Mex" and Mex-I-Can showed up, as well as two locations of "Ole Gourmet Mexican." When I search for Mex-I-Can now, only one Ole Gourment is there...

I run a site that aggregates the city's data in a friendlier format (http://www.hamontfood.com; It was borne out of frustration of being unable to link to individual inspections/premises). I currently scrape FoodSafetyZone on a weekly basis. Last week, about 500 inspections were added to FoodSafetyZone, dating back to October 2011.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
...I run a site that aggregates the city's data in a friendlier format (http://www.hamontfood.com; It was borne out of frustration of being unable to link to individual inspections/premises). I currently scrape FoodSafetyZone on a weekly basis. Last week, about 500 inspections were added to FoodSafetyZone, dating back to October 2011.
Your site is great, and I follow you on Twitter. Thanks for doing this!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:40 PM

Here's Mex-I-Can's red card: http://www.hamontfood.com/premises/D...D-5ACCAC3F1E17

People mentioned 28 Lister... They passed their (thus far) only inspection, but it was back in July, well before the place actually opened. http://www.hamontfood.com/premises/4...9-85D3D794DC83

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I tried Mafu's Kitchen in the Hamilton City Center yesterday. Good West African food for the price.
I also liked Mafu's Kitchen, only got to try it once when it was on King St E.

Unfortunately they also have a yellow-card after an inspection on Oct. 10.

http://www.hamontfood.com/premises/1...A-B59CEF548395

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 2:47 AM

Kitchen co-op baking big plans

Hamilton Spectator
By Meredith MacLeod

A long-abandoned convenience store on King Street East is being transformed into a co-operative commercial kitchen aimed at getting food startups off the ground.

It's the latest addition to an eclectic and growing city food scene.

The Kitchen Collective is in the midst of renovating 811 King St. E. at Fairleigh to turn it into a 1,500-square-foot certified kitchen and a 500-square-foot retail space.

The hope is to have the kitchen operating by the end of the year and the retail space occupied by a member-owned café or shop by next summer, said co-op co-founder Reuben Vanderkwaak.

"This neighbourhood is really underserved by retail or cafés, so it will be great to make something available in the Sherman hub."

There is a group of five budding food entrepreneurs behind the project. They've funded the renovations but have undertaken a $20,000 Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign to buy kitchen equipment. It ends Monday evening.

All food made to sell must be prepared in a kitchen certified by public health. That's a lengthy and expensive endeavour, says Vanderkwaak.

Vanderkwaak, a stay-at-home dad who launched Donut Monster more than a year ago, looked around unsuccessfully for suitable space to rent so he could make doughnuts to deliver to cafés, restaurants and grocery stores.

Hamilton's other shared food kitchen, Roux Commissary, which has carved a niche with food trucks, didn't have the equipment he needed.

He and candymaker Amanda Wright teamed up to look for a space they could rent together. But then they found others looking for access to a shared kitchen and decided a co-op was the best model.

Wright says she wants to make candy part time while keeping her full-time job as a medical secretary. Shelling out tens of the thousands on a kitchen just doesn't make sense for her.

"That's not feasible to do when you're on your own," she said.

She makes caramels, taffy, hard candies, suckers and marshmallows under the name Sweet and Simple. She plans to sell her products at events and through some retailers, but she says there are a lot of unknowns.

"I'm trying it out. I enjoy making candy, but will I enjoy doing it as a business? Can I make money at it?"

The location search took about a year. The corner property they found has plenty of space for the kitchen, a loading area, storage and room to accommodate one of Hamilton's other co-ops, THAAT bike delivery.

Vanderkwaak says the bike co-op is the perfect solution for delivery of Kitchen Collective products. The Kitchen Collective will also work with grocery co-op The Mustard Seed to buy ingredients from local growers.

The future kitchen has been stripped down to the bare walls, but plans call for seven workstations near the hotline, a three-station bakery and a packaging area. There will also be dry storage and a walk-in fridge and freezer.

Matt Willard says the new kitchen will get his fledgling ice cream business off the ground. He makes flavours that include peanut butter cookie dough with bacon, London fog (Earl Grey latte) and blackberry port.

"It's relaxing and fun and you get ice cream at the end."

But it wasn't so fun to contemplate how to act on his friends' advice to launch Willard's ice cream commercially.

"I want to do this part time. I can't afford to have my own kitchen. That's unrealistic," said Willard, who works for an Oakville company shipping airplane parts.

As of late Friday afternoon, the project had close to 120 backers on Kickstarter, totalling about $14,500 in contributions.

Raising the funds will allow the project to open sooner and with less debt, said Vanderkwaak.

Contributors get rewards, including products from members, catered parties, a cupping demonstration by co-op co-founder Rob House of Hero Coffee and a Willard's ice cream flavour named in their honour.

Kitchen Collective is offering general membership for $200, which gives access to the kitchen for $16 an hour. Heavy kitchen users can buy an incubating membership for $500, which gives access for $10 an hour and the right to install customized equipment.

Community use is available for $20 an hour for families, community groups and friends who want to cook batches of food, prepare for parties or fundraisers or preserve fruits and vegetables together.

Shana Narciso, another Kitchen Collective co-founder, wants to use the space to prepare fresh, healthy premade meals to sell and to offer communal cooking workshops and food education seminars for kids and adults.

She is in the early stages of launching Real Food Kitchens and says being able to share the upfront costs with other entrepreneurs will enable her and her business partner to research and fine-tune their business.

"Statistically, food business margins are low in terms of profits and the failure rate is high. So we want to get it right."

mmacleod@thespec.com

905-526-3408 | @meredithmacleod

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/49...ing-big-plans/

---------

Less than 48 hours left of the Kickstarter (it is 88% funded right now).

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:46 PM

More drama at the lister chophouse ... http://m.thespec.com/news-story/4924...ov-4-deadline/

The city screwed up royally selecting him.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:15 AM

Most people probably know this already but Poco Loco on Ottawa is closing and Gorilla Cheese is taking over the location.

http://gorillacheese.wordpress.com/2...derful-things/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:18 AM

And does anyone know the story/history behind the Steel Lounge at King William/Ferguson? They had the "coming soon" sign up for the longest time and when looking inside it seemed to be pretty much fully built out and ready to open but never did. Then the sign came down a while ago and I thought maybe they ran out of money and the place would never open. But yesterday when I walked by I noticed a new health inspection sign in the window dated October 20th, so I guess there's still hope?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
I guess there's still hope?
Don't know what the delay was but it looks like they are almost ready to open.
They joined Facebook Oct. 14 and latest posting Oct. 29th was: Inch by inch....closer and closer....!

https://www.facebook.com/steelloungehamilton

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
Most people probably know this already but Poco Loco on Ottawa is closing and Gorilla Cheese is taking over the location.

http://gorillacheese.wordpress.com/2...derful-things/

If you saw Dragons' Den the other night, one of the conditions of the deal that they got that night was to not open a brick and mortar store location. The deal was for them to operate a second truck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation