HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Opus and Anthem have future phases and there won't be a free acre at either when they're done. If the city doesn't own the land, it's not permanent and it's not a park. It's just a vacant lot with benches that will be dug up as soon as a developer is ready to use it.
I get what you're saying, but temporary parks are great too. What Midtown Alliance did on the Dewberry property at 10th and Peachtree is a good example.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 11:25 PM

More plans for Midtown

Midtown Art Walk

Re-envisioned Midtown Marta Station

http://www.sylvaticastudio.com/midtown-art-walk/

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Opus and Anthem have future phases and there won't be a free acre at either when they're done. If the city doesn't own the land, it's not permanent and it's not a park. It's just a vacant lot with benches that will be dug up as soon as a developer is ready to use it.
Sure. That appears to be the situation today. However one would expect the Midtown Alliance/ City to pursue ways to implement this vision so that the parks are publicly owned land. The parks may not end up in those exact locations. But we all know how often the latter phases of multi-phased projects never come to fruition.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:18 AM

Waterworks Park moves forward

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/2/27...upper-westside

Quote:
The Upper Westside Improvement District has inked a memorandum of understanding with the Atlanta Department of Watershed Management that will create a passive greenspace on land—occupied only by trees now—where Northside Drive meets 17th Street, up the hill from IKEA.

On the northwest corner of that intersection, neighboring the fenced-off Atlanta City Waterworks Hemphill Reservoir, expect four and a half public acres with views of Midtown and downtown.

Phase one should wrap by the summer, they say, with the goal being to finish the project by the third quarter of 2018.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:41 AM

New Concept Explores Mini-Park Idea Off Peachtree Place

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:00 AM

This becomes a homeless magnet.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
This becomes a homeless magnet.
Every park in the urban core is essentially a homeless magnet. So, what can the city do to prevent this homeless problem? Any suggestions?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:13 AM

Give them a better alternative.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Give them a better alternative.
How I see this convo right now:

But really, how about we improve our quality of life and not hold ourselves back because some people are scared it would attract homeless people.

Anyways. I’m not a huge fan of that park. There isn’t much retail in that area anyhow. I think the parcel to the east of midtown station should be redeveloped and include additional retail. For the time being, I don’t mind Peachtree place being open to traffic. Midtown has very few steeets that connect east/west from williams to juniper and I don’t think it’s wise to shut down one of them. Maybe I’m off base what they’re looking to do with the park, but my assumption is they’re looking to make it a pedestrian plaza

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:43 AM

I'm over the fake wood Atlanta seems to be doing now. The Broad Steet ped. plaza looks like a mess. If they're going to do this, why not have benches surrounding a fountain? Why has this country stopped building large, gorgeous fountains?

Last edited by Ant131531; Mar 8, 2018 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:10 PM

I'm sure that's not real since it would mean closing Peachtree Place. Where did it come from? It looks like a school project or something.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'm sure that's not real since it would mean closing Peachtree Place. Where did it come from? It looks like a school project or something.
It is an idea that the Midtown Alliance is exploring.

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/new...eachtree-place

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

Getting rid of the side street parking is smart. All for more green space instead of parallel parking spots.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

That bodes even worse. I think a school project would have a better chance of becoming reality

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
That bodes even worse. I think a school project would have a better chance of becoming reality
What?
If this idea progresses of course traffic studies will be done which I predict will show marginal impact and the street is already public property. What's difficult about this?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 11:48 PM

Clearly the Midtown rendering borrows from the Broad street plaza which has turned out well.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 12:34 AM

This might be the best looking Atlanta street scene I've ever seen!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
What?
If this idea progresses of course traffic studies will be done which I predict will show marginal impact and the street is already public property. What's difficult about this?
Besides the long history of no one ever doing anything to create a permanent park in Midtown, the link itself says it's not a real plan. Turns out it's a slide from the same presentation that showed the 1-acre parks on lots that are actually privately owned and being developed.

Land is becoming more scarce and expensive, and it's basically too late for Midtown to have parks. The city should have acted decades ago before prices were millions per acre. Understanding future potential is what puts the planning in urban planning, and Atlanta failed to do that here. At least residents on the northern end have Piedmont Park, which is terrific.

If they close Peachtree Place to widen the sidewalk, I'll eat my hat

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
it's basically too late for Midtown to have parks. The city should have acted decades ago before prices were millions per acre.
Cap the connector! Hopefully the government can do a public/private partnership with the land owners along the connector to create a linear park. Imagine Atlanta having the equivalent of the DC mall lined with skyscrapers on both sides through the heart of midtown. You could walk from Ivan Allen to Atlantic station on green turf. Create a TAD and make it happen!!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Besides the long history of no one ever doing anything to create a permanent park in Midtown, the link itself says it's not a real plan. Turns out it's a slide from the same presentation that showed the 1-acre parks on lots that are actually privately owned and being developed.

Land is becoming more scarce and expensive, and it's basically too late for Midtown to have parks. The city should have acted decades ago before prices were millions per acre. Understanding future potential is what puts the planning in urban planning, and Atlanta failed to do that here. At least residents on the northern end have Piedmont Park, which is terrific.

If they close Peachtree Place to widen the sidewalk, I'll eat my hat
Oh really?

Piedmont Park, Atlanta Botanical Gardens to get $100 million expansion

Honestly it's hard for me to understand how someone living in Atlanta where neighborhoods change drastically in a few short years would think that current circumstances cannot change. Yes everyone understands what a concept is but that is not to say that this idea can't become a reality. And this particular one would be one that does not even require an expensive land purchase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta