HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
5-over-1s may be the best for Calgary to maintain affordability and provide housing for the rapid in-migration. A tower will take twice as long to build at higher construction costs.

The investor condo market tanked with the 2018 oil crash. It makes sense that the recovery would begin in the non high rises suburbs via domestic developers and around key investor drivers like the university. The proposals for shitty transit oriented communities by Ontario developers are trickling in. Hopefully, these high rise warehousing divisions never start.
You have to start somewhere. I understand that intense development around train stations is a relatively new trend but it is picking up steam and that is a good thing. I am sure that quality will improve as the idea of living near a station catches on with more uses and income groups.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 4:43 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Ottawa, Hamilton, and KWC are all building pretty impressively. Not sure about London?
I think London is too. New builds in Kitchener and London have been (or are proposed to be) taller than those in Hamilton, but there's a distinct difference in density/clustering between Hamilton's core and those of the other two.

When one is "right downtown" in London it feels very urban, but from the adjacent neighbourhoods when you look at the towers they seem more spread out than in other cities. That's my impression anyway.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 12:21 PM
I am the law!

It's odd London doesn't have it's own community and coverage on SSP London is lacking compared to Ottawa and Halifax . Perhaps It's because most of the many high rises built look virtually the same.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 12:37 PM

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 1:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Ottawa, Hamilton, and KWC are all building pretty impressively. Not sure about London?

But, good news for Ontario skyline lovers.
London just got a new tallest (40 stories). A newer tallest is coming soon (53 stories). There are currently 6 cranes downtown.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 5:04 PM
Look at me!

The refurbished Alexandra Quay and the tower is looking fine !

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:01 AM

Awesome pics of Montreal!

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:00 AM

Just a random Instagram find from last summer.

It's best if you expand it.
Video Link
]

Last edited by TorontoDrew; May 7, 2024 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 3:49 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
London just got a new tallest (40 stories). A newer tallest is coming soon (53 stories). There are currently 6 cranes downtown.
I wasn't sure if the 53 storey building (is this the one by the old Courthouse lands?) was confirmed or anything, it seemed like it was behind closed doors for awhile.

It blows me away to think 40+ floors is the new top end of building scales in London....I'm so used to the city from a couple years ago. I really need to come visit some day.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I wasn't sure if the 53 storey building (is this the one by the old Courthouse lands?) was confirmed or anything, it seemed like it was behind closed doors for awhile.

It blows me away to think 40+ floors is the new top end of building scales in London....I'm so used to the city from a couple years ago. I really need to come visit some day.
Yeah, not much is going on in the pit, but I still think that the project will go forward. York (the developing firm) has a reputation for getting things done.

Council approves controversial downtown London, Ont. tower proposal

Quote:
The London, Ont., skyline could soon see new growth as city council approved a proposal to build what will be the two tallest buildings in the city.

The decision was made Tuesday as a majority of councillors voted to approve the site at 50 King St. and 399 Ridout St., where York Developments is looking to construct mixed-use buildings with 53-storey and 43-storey towers at the Fork of the Thames.

Councils’ approval follows a unanimous decision from the planning and environment committee which approved the controversial proposal earlier this month, despite a chorus of criticism and opposition from neighbours and former city politicians. Following an extensive debate at city hall, councillors voted 11-2 to approve rezoning the site as the application surpassed the 35-storey maximum height for buildings downtown.
Rendering

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 10:39 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Last edited by Coldrsx; May 8, 2024 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:14 AM

Couple of really cool Edmonton pictures there - love the green trees in the background, it really is a nice feature for Edmonton’s skyline and well, everyday life, lol.

Ok, so I only brought one prime lens with me and the phone, so getting decent shots has been tricky especially since I’m not used to the locations and haven’t taken the time to really compose the shots. Typical tourist shots, none the less - Toronto:

Toronto - May 8, 2024. 1:39 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Toronto - May 8, 2024. 1:05 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Toronto, May 8, 2024. 1:35 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:34 AM

A nice recent shot of Kamloops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcash View Post

Found this beautiful shot of the city gardens building off of a listing of a nearby apartment.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 6:18 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ Tower going up there

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 6:39 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Yeah, not much is going on in the pit, but I still think that the project will go forward. York (the developing firm) has a reputation for getting things done.

Yeah, just from my understanding on the London subforum, they seem pretty good about getting things built like you said. I'm glad to see this is likely to go start soon. I really just want to see London grow and become a respectable, big city. I'm oh so aware of how much their city council and politics tries to shy from that....but I think with the explosion in growth across Canada with people moving in, they're coming to realize the city needs to grow, and not just outward.

Beautiful images zoomer.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Indeed. Although some on city council have finally woken up to the inevitability of London's future growth, they still have not come around to recognizing the need to build the infrastructure to support such growth. One day, we will have to have LRT, and it will be much more expensive and harder to implement 15 years from now, when the city has grown by another 100-250K, than now.

Even more important is the need for HSR down the corridor, at least from Montreal to London (via Ottawa, Toronto, and KWC), and better still, from Quebec City through to Windsor. It is downright embarrassing how awful our intercity rail links are (easily the worst in the developed world...I am not blaming VIA, but the governments that have starved it).

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
A nice recent shot of Kamloops!
Good stuff. I remember when Kamloops was bigger than Kelowna. The latter has flown way, way, way past the former, in both population and construction.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:38 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
^Indeed. Although some on city council have finally woken up to the inevitability of London's future growth, they still have not come around to recognizing the need to build the infrastructure to support such growth. One day, we will have to have LRT, and it will be much more expensive and harder to implement 15 years from now, when the city has grown by another 100-250K, than now.

Even more important is the need for HSR down the corridor, at least from Montreal to London (via Ottawa, Toronto, and KWC), and better still, from Quebec City through to Windsor. It is downright embarrassing how awful our intercity rail links are (easily the worst in the developed world...I am not blaming VIA, but the governments that have starved it).
Agreed regarding our terrible regional transit.
I've always valued VIA and its ability to connect communities big and small to the wider area. It's dumbfounding how starved our rail options are when we have a decent railway system (in terms of rail trackage) to work off of. Yes, it needs to be invested in, doubled in areas, repaired, etc, but that's the nature of working with any infrastructure spanning many thousands of kilometres in a variety of land uses and geographies.

HSR would be amazing down the line, I just hope we see the ball roll on that before this decade rolls out.....which itself is ambitious to say.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 10:02 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 1:16 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Fantastic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada