HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:28 PM

I didn't notice if this posted yet, but the Emerging Projects list was updated in mid-February:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2014-02-18.pdf

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I didn't notice if this posted yet, but the Emerging Projects list was updated in mid-February:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2014-02-18.pdf
Very informative. Thanks Hill Country.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Unlike:

Chivas USA (no where near Guadalajara, in fact I think we may be closer)
Real Salt Lake (not in Spain and not awarded a royal title by the King of Spain)
or (ugh) Sporting Kansas City

face it, names in MLS suck. Aztex would be far from the worst.
Clearly, we would have to be Austin Villa.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:30 AM

Anyone have any recent pictures of Waterloo Park or the Lady Bird Lake boardwalk? I always forget to go by Waterloo Park when I go downtown.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:22 PM

The Apple campus has three fairly tall cranes up right now. I believe they are of the mobile type though.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 2:17 AM

So I take it Apple is going into it's next phase of construction, since the first 2 buildings and the parking garage is complete.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 9:06 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
So I take it Apple is going into it's next phase of construction, since the first 2 buildings and the parking garage is complete.
Yes. It is well underway...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM

Look out San Antonio, Austin area ready to surpass 2M residents bizjournals.com/austin/blog/at…

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 10:41 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Look out San Antonio, Austin area ready to surpass 2M residents bizjournals.com/austin/blog/at…
San Antonio is growing fast too. It will be at least 10-15 years before we catch them.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 12:47 AM

Does anyone one know what Rainey St. development this is for? Millenium? (It's the 3rd file listed.)

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/140320/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 1:07 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
You may get your wish for an Asian girlfriend. I wouldn't mind one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
Between 2000-2010, about 23 percent of all growth was international – the majority from Mexico but a portion from Asia as well. Many Asians end up in Austin after moving to the U.S. and first living in two or three different locations.
Quote:
Does anyone one know what Rainey St. development this is for? Millenium? (It's the 3rd file listed.)

The document says the address is 70 Rainey Street. I remember someone saying it would be around 30 floors. It shows a "condo lobby".

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 1:26 AM

70 rainey is currently a food trailer park.

I believe about a year ago or so the condo project was haulted due to NIMBY MACC center stating a small piece of land adjacent to 70 rainey, owned by city of Austin, would block the views of their building.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogc View Post
70 rainey is currently a food trailer park.

I believe about a year ago or so the condo project was haulted due to NIMBY MACC center stating a small piece of land adjacent to 70 rainey, owned by city of Austin, would block the views of their building.
The meeting with the CoA about the project is for 03/20, so maybe the plans have been revised.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 11:16 AM
Meh

Quote:

By the way, while you were away from the forum East7thStreet posted these in this thread:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ghlight=rainey

It was explained that this was a previous proposal for that address called "The Drake". It looks to be about 29 to 30 floors.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:15 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
San Antonio is growing fast too. It will be at least 10-15 years before we catch them.
At least 15 years...

Based on the U.S. Census bureau (which releases new data this month for estimated populations as of 7/1/13), Austin's metro area should have an estimated population of 1.96 million as of July 1, 2014. It will surpass the 2 million mark by early 2015. Thus, Austin (metro) is still doubling its population every 20 or so years since its incorporation. The metro surpassed the 1 million mark in the fall of 1995.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:50 PM

I'm sure it will slow down though.

Personally, I don't want Austin to get too big. I'd rather it just grow a more dense population. 3.5 million for a metro is a good size. If Austin within it's proper city limits grows 1.5 million, that would be more than enough for a big city for me. Of course, this is within a scope of another 20 years.

I'm betting (without any formal knowledge or training of growing trends) that San Antonio and Austin will peak at about the same in population and then slow down in growth. In my life time around 2035 to 2040, I'm sure the Austin/San Antonio region will have nearly 8 million people. And that's a lot... more than the entire current Bay Area population.

I really do hope we get our act together with public transportation by then though.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
I'm betting (without any formal knowledge or training of growing trends) that San Antonio and Austin will peak at about the same in population and then slow down in growth.
I don't see why that would be the case. I think every factor is currently indicating that Austin would be larger.

1. Overall we've been growing faster for a long time. It's just that San Antonio had a 150-year head start on us.
2. Austin's traditional strengths point to further growth (UT, technology, etc.) while San Antonio may see slowdown here (further military contraction).
3. I think Austin has a greater chance for geographical growth of its metro area (possible additions of Milam and Burnet counties), while all the counties that surround Bexar are already included in the San Antonio metro.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:53 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I don't see why that would be the case. I think every factor is currently indicating that Austin would be larger.

1. Overall we've been growing faster for a long time. It's just that San Antonio had a 150-year head start on us.
2. Austin's traditional strengths point to further growth (UT, technology, etc.) while San Antonio may see slowdown here (further military contraction).
3. I think Austin has a greater chance for geographical growth of its metro area (possible additions of Milam and Burnet counties), while all the counties that surround Bexar are already included in the San Antonio metro.
Milam will never be added and even if it is, it's a very small county that has negative population growth. I'd prefer that it not add it's horrible economic indicators to the metro area calculations.

I do see Burnet (Marble Falls, Burnet, Granite Shoals) and Llano Counties (Kingsland, Horseshoe Bay, not so much Llano itself, but that's a small share of the county going forward) being added long-term as the highland lakes communities grow and further integrate with our area. Blanco is a possibility as well, but we've got some heavy competition with San Antonio for that county. The northern areas are definitely in our orbit (Johnson City), but the southern areas are in San Antonio's (Blanco). San Antonio could also easily add Kerrville sometime within the next decade. Even if we each add the areas that I just outlined (with Blanco going to San Antonio, as the commuter stats iirc are tilted in their favor), that's a wash for Austin.

So, isn't as clear cut and dry as you think it might be.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 9:38 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
...Blanco is a possibility as well, but we've got some heavy competition with San Antonio for that county....
Blanco is already a member of CAPGOG, correct?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin