HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:58 PM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
This takes me back to the mid-nineties, but there was once such a thing in the lower floors of a building on 7th Ave. Not sure where exactly it was or what may have happened to it, but my grandfather took me to it when I was a kid. It was small, but had a neat, light-up panel that showed all the drilling locations in Alberta. There was a small theatre room that had a film, on rotation, to explain to kids where fossil fuels came from.
I believe you're referring to the Energium which was on 5th in the former EUB building across from McDougall school. It's now a Tim Hortons.

The only thing close to an Energium in Alberta now is the Oilsands Discovery Centre, but that's 8 hours north...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:34 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
I believe you're referring to the Energium which was on 5th in the former EUB building across from McDougall school. It's now a Tim Hortons.

The only thing close to an Energium in Alberta now is the Oilsands Discovery Centre, but that's 8 hours north...

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:43 PM

Here's a tourist attraction I'd love to see in Calgary: A new skyscraper observation deck.
Why not on the rooftop of Telus Sky or Brookfield Place?

One place I enjoy taking out-of-towners is McHugh Bluff for the view. As ludicrous as it sounds, if had 20M$ lying around, I'd love to build a Sandstone castle on Shaganappi Golf Course. The view would be amazing, and it could host weddings and stuff. Think Casa Loma x the São Jorge Castle x Schaffhausen's Munot x Inuyama x the Griffith Observatory.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
Here's a long but incomplete list of stuff to do around town this summer:

This is the very thorough. Forgot Jane's Walks this weekend! 45 walks of various designs this weekend.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 12:08 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post

I remember the Energium - I think I went there on a school trip or something back in the early 90s.

I have also been to the Oilsands Discovery Centre, which I thought was really nifty.

The Museum of Energy would be a great idea for the city. It wouldn't even have to just focus on fossil fuels, either - it could focus on all kinds of energy. I think it'd be a pretty unique museum.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
That might not be a bad compromise. Stanley Park was my original touchstone. I understand it is not a precise parallel. In some of the most important regions of the world, tourism has actually been leveraged to, in a controlled way, provide access to more people, reinforce the messages of conservation, and enhance economic impact for the local community. These are good lessons for us.

Your point is completely valid, but also, when you consider nosehill park is about ten times the size of our CBD, 100K sf from that is not defeating anything.

To put it in perspective, nose hill park + fish creek park are 25sqkm, or 2.5 billion sf
I think keeping it on the edge provides nice context for the park. You come in from a road into a parking lot, would enter the building, make your way up, and out the top you would exit onto the trail system, perhaps with a bit of a built up viewpoint and an interpretive trail. The flow would lead from urban to prairie. Plus any sort of restaurant on the edge would be pretty incredible.

I just feel a building in the middle would intrude on the natural space in a massive way. I understand its a big park, but that's part of why its awesome. I can roll out my door, be on the top in 20 minutes on my bike an it feels and looks like I'm riding through a vast empty prairie wilderness, yet still surrounded by a city of a million.

H.E.Pennypacker, good idea on the SW corner as well, though I may veto it just because my favourite trail on Nose Hill comes down to that area!

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think keeping it on the edge provides nice context for the park. You come in from a road into a parking lot, would enter the building, make your way up, and out the top you would exit onto the trail system, perhaps with a bit of a built up viewpoint and an interpretive trail. The flow would lead from urban to prairie. Plus any sort of restaurant on the edge would be pretty incredible.

I just feel a building in the middle would intrude on the natural space in a massive way. I understand its a big park, but that's part of why its awesome. I can roll out my door, be on the top in 20 minutes on my bike an it feels and looks like I'm riding through a vast empty prairie wilderness, yet still surrounded by a city of a million.

H.E.Pennypacker, good idea on the SW corner as well, though I may veto it just because my favourite trail on Nose Hill comes down to that area!
I'm convinced - along the edge it is. It would be a nice way to engage people, and introduce the hard-core urbanites to some legal grass.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I remember the Energium - I think I went there on a school trip or something back in the early 90s.

I have also been to the Oilsands Discovery Centre, which I thought was really nifty.

The Museum of Energy would be a great idea for the city. It wouldn't even have to just focus on fossil fuels, either - it could focus on all kinds of energy. I think it'd be a pretty unique museum.
Maybe it could be a 'national' museum a la the CMHR in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:34 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
So many good ideas here on this thread. Good job guys

Now...what are the chances of these suggestions ever happening?
Sometimes I think this forum actually has some influence.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Sometimes I think this forum actually has some influence.
posting≥voting.

1) The forum composed of a subsection of a few of the most engaged citizens, especially the educated, working-age, middle-class.
2) The forum is frequented by connected leaders in local government, advocacy groups, construction, and trades.
3) The forum is frequented by several members of the media, some of whom have interview forumers and written widely-read articles on issues discussed here.

Where else am I going to find people who will give my urban nerdiness and political ramblings the time of day?

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:47 PM

I really like the idea of a National Energy/Resource museum, something that could be very unique and really cool (to me at least). The only thing I would change from the suggestion is the location.

While Nose Hill Park would be a unique setting, to me it is just too far out from most things. I say keep it central as possible. Ideally, I can see it on the large city owned parking lot at 4th Ave and 8th St SW:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.05001...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Make it large, and a unique architectural design, and I think this would be amazing.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
posting≥voting.

1) The forum composed of a subsection of a few of the most engaged citizens, especially the educated, working-age, middle-class.
2) The forum is frequented by connected leaders in local government, advocacy groups, construction, and trades.
3) The forum is frequented by several members of the media, some of whom have interview forumers and written widely-read articles on issues discussed here.

Where else am I going to find people who will give my urban nerdiness and political ramblings the time of day?
Especially the Calgary section. Lots of big names frequent or at least know about the forum.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:51 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Your point is completely valid, but also, when you consider nosehill park is about ten times the size of our CBD, 100K sf from that is not defeating anything.

To put it in perspective, nose hill park + fish creek park are 25sqkm, or 2.5 billion sf
That's a slippery slope. If you start chipping away at something just because its large you'll likely end up with something not that great in size.

This is not something we even have to discuss as there are so many wonderful locations in Calgary that can offer great views and a visual presence (See Below). Additionally, it's often best to cluster these institutions and place them in highly accessible areas. Why bother taking away from Nose Hill when there are better options out there?

Quote:
Calgary's electronic music scene has grown my leaps and bounds in the past couple years - thanks in part to Flames Central, Ten, Habitat, HiFi, and others attracting fantastic international acts almost weekly.
I think we have always had the appetite but we're finally getting the larger events that we can readily consume. The Top DJs were always coming to Calgary, we're finally getting them in groups. More please!

Quote:
One place I enjoy taking out-of-towners is McHugh Bluff for the view. As ludicrous as it sounds, if had 20M$ lying around, I'd love to build a Sandstone castle on Shaganappi Golf Course. The view would be amazing, and it could host weddings and stuff. Think Casa Loma x the São Jorge Castle x Schaffhausen's Munot x Inuyama x the Griffith Observatory.
Instead of fauxhistory, why not a History museum. And a Science museum. And a Portrait Gallery. I think Shaganappi Point might be a better location for suburbia's idea.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I really like the idea of a National Energy/Resource museum, something that could be very unique and really cool (to me at least). The only thing I would change from the suggestion is the location.

While Nose Hill Park would be a unique setting, to me it is just too far out from most things. I say keep it central as possible. Ideally, I can see it on the large city owned parking lot at 4th Ave and 8th St SW:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.05001...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Make it large, and a unique architectural design, and I think this would be amazing.
I agree that it has to be kept central - if the idea is that this will be a tourist destination Nose Hill is way too inconvenient. It needs to be within walking distance of other sites downtown and the hotels that eventually will be built. Or at the very least walkable from a C-Train station, but that is a lot less desirable - most tourists aren't going to bother figuring out the trains.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:06 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Instead of fauxhistory, why not a History museum. And a Science museum. And a Portrait Gallery. I think Shaganappi Point might be a better location for suburbia's idea.
I agree with that but given time, fauxhistory eventually becomes history. Does it not? It might seem stupid to us but in a couple o hundred years a Sandstone Castle built now will have a story.

When traveling in the UK, we visted a number of houses that were built for (I believe) not much more than to show off a rich persons wealth. Those people are long gone and the original purpose of these places is not the current purpose (well, in a few cases it is I suppose). But it's history now and it draws a crowd.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:09 PM
Editor

I saw some mention of having something like the Byward Market, and I agree that it would be good, but the best thing about the Byward market is the area. The market itself is just......okay IMO. The new Eau Claire market will be more similar to something like a Byward market.

Calgary has most of what is needed as far as tourist attractions. What is really missing is an art gallery, other than that it has (or will have with Eau Claire Market) what most cities have. Markets are good, and it will be nice when Eau Claire is done, but almost all cities have them, and very few are actual destination spots. They are something that people can do while in the city.

Looking at all the cities across Canada there are very few individual attractions that would actually get me to go to that city. The only one I can think is the old part of Quebec city. For example, I would go to Montreal or Vancouver to experience the city and the vibe and check out dome little things here and there, but no one attraction would draw me to those cities.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's a slippery slope. If you start chipping away at something just because its large you'll likely end up with something not that great in size.
Managing access and finding ways to bring people in such as to learn about and more respect these areas is all critical to the longer term viability of spaces like nose hill. That is global best practice. The location was suggested given the specific institution that was envisioned. We're not talking a bunch of fruit sellers charading as an international tourist destination, rather, are talking a natural history museum, leveraging that land as a way to tell a story. I think perhaps we don't think about that because we have so much land to just sprawl everywhere, but the reality is, even our protected lands within the city need a pinch intensification.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:18 PM
Editor

I'm not sure either. Most people attribute it to high costs for land/rent. But yeah, whatever the case may be it would be really nice to have a market in the inner city that you could walk to. The Beltline seems like a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Agreed. I never got why Calgary doesn't seem to have the urban farmers markets that Edmonton does (City Market, Old Scona Market, 124 Grand Market, and a new second one to open downtown in May). It could use a couple nice, well used, and hopefully year-round market either on Stephen Ave, the East Village, the Beltline, West End, Kensington, etc.

Totally agree, an art gallery is the most glaring missing item from Calgary I think. I can't think of any city over 550K that doesn't have one.

Heritage Park is pretty much the same thing as Fort Edmonton. It's actually a very popular site - Canada's largest living historical museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Something that Calgary definitely needs to work on is museums (especially the art museum). The aforementioned market thing is another, as would a better historical museum (a la Fort Edmonton).

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:20 PM
Editor

I'd love to see a museum of electronic technology. A large part could be video games, but also other electronic technology as well.

Quote:
It would be really neat if Calgary had a Video Game Museum. It wouldn't have to be massive and could be done on a small scale. It could be a part of a collection of small museums that I think would be nice for locals to have and the city to offer to tourists.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I saw some mention of having something like the Byward Market, and I agree that it would be good, but the best thing about the Byward market is the area. The market itself is just......okay IMO. The new Eau Claire market will be more similar to something like a Byward market.

Calgary has most of what is needed as far as tourist attractions. What is really missing is an art gallery, other than that it has (or will have with Eau Claire Market) what most cities have. Markets are good, and it will be nice when Eau Claire is done, but almost all cities have them, and very few are actual destination spots. They are something that people can do while in the city.

Looking at all the cities across Canada there are very few individual attractions that would actually get me to go to that city. The only one I can think is the old part of Quebec city. For example, I would go to Montreal or Vancouver to experience the city and the vibe and check out dome little things here and there, but no one attraction would draw me to those cities.
Yeah the actual market at Byward is nice and we definitely need something like that here, but you are right, its the area around it that makes it great! Calgary can come close to the area with places like Kensington or Eau Claire (I think with a major renovation the market could actually work now), we just need the actual market to anchor it and make it more than a drinking destination.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy