HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:33 PM

Interesting. Perhaps the Mayor's unilateral ban on McMansions will prompt a similar moratorium on McCondos.

Quote:
The Atlanta city council member who won a temporary ban on infill housing earlier this year is taking her case to a higher level.

Mary Norwood said she wants to make sure the dozens of new highrises planned from downtown to Buckhead don't block the views for tenants of existing condominiums and office towers.

She intends to introduce an ordinance as early as September 5 that would empower Atlanta planning officials to do whatever they deem necessary to ensure those views aren't obstructed. That could mean reducing the height of new skyscrapers, requiring them to be set at irregular angles or specifying where they can be built.

"I see the densification happening so fast, with no thought whatsoever, and I wanted to do something about it," Norwood said, noting a nine-tower condo project planned in Buckhead by the Related Group of Miami. "I don’t want us to become Manhattan, where the only thing you can see from the 50th floor is another building."

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:37 PM
Reliable Source

The woman has little political influence outside her district. It's just another of her NIMBYs that won't fly. I think it's all for show, just to keep the votes of the few who think it's an issue.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 3:10 PM

I really feel I might throw up. Do y'all really see this happening???

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza
The woman has little political influence outside her district.
I don't know about that, Fiorenza. Councilwoman Norwood and Mayor Franklin were certainly able to bring all single-family construction in the city of Atlanta to a screeching halt. It wouldn't surprise me if they do the same with multi-family building.

Atlanta has a very long history and a deeply-embedded culture of opposing increased density, and a lot of people are vehemently opposed to it.

And remember, this ordinance will apparently be introduced next Tuesday. If past history is a guideline, the city tends to take immediate action on these issues and defer public input until later.

Last edited by Andrea; Sep 1, 2006 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea
I don't know about that, Fiorenza. Councilwoman Norwood and Mayor Franklin were certainly able to bring all single-family construction in the city of Atlanta to a screeching halt. It wouldn't surprise me if they do the same with multi-family building.

Atlanta has a very long history and a deeply-embedded culture of opposing increased density, and a lot of people are vehemently opposed to it.

And remember, this ordinance will apparently be introduced next Tuesday. If past history is a guideline, the city tends to take immediate action on these issues and defer public input until later.
That issue appeared very quickly and from a couple of the people I know on council and in city hall Mayor Franklin was VERY upset about it occuring. From what I heard, she wasn't pleased with someone on her staff because it wasn't an issue that she wanted addressed in the spring, but somehow Norwood got front page attention and some political news from it through some inside dealings...It made Franklin have to address it and she wasn't happy....that's what I was told during the debate anyway. The McMansion issue wasn't supposed to come up until this fall when the Comprehensive Rezoning that's about to start and many on council were PISSED with Norwood. She's got some pull but I just don't think she's going to last long in my opinion. She wants to rock the boat sometimes to make headlines and honestly that's not the best way in politics especially local politics in a city the size of Atlanta. The woman's coo coo....my opinion of her anyway!

Also remember, the issue on single family homes lasted for 2 month and was gone because of it's prematurity. Zoning failed the moratorium on first vote. Many that voted in favor weren't in favor of the ban but got blindsided by Norwood and the sudden attention she got on the news. She made at least 1 permanent enemy I've heard on coucnil during the debate and like I said the mayor wasn't so please either so it's rumored. Her own neighborhood who she wanted in the ban voted 85% to ask for exemption from it before council met as well. She's a loon!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Sep 1, 2006 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 4:28 PM

Could you imagine how this ordinance would put a screeching halt on development that hasn't broken ground yet? Talking about stalling the future of our city.

The idea is bad on so many levels. What would they call it, " The Sunlight Ordinance?"

I wonder how many developers choked on their coffee this morning when they picked up this morning's ABC.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 4:51 PM

Well on a Lighter Note

A nice article today on Viewpoint.

Talks about historic preservation and "contexturalism" as well as the important of retail for midtown.

+++++

High-rise will meld the old and new
1922 building, 2 floors of retail to anchor tower

By JULIE B. HAIRSTON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/01/06

Dirt is already turning on Peachtree between Sixth and Seventh streets, but Midtown's latest high-rise-to-be has been given a spanking new name and an 84-year-old heart.

Touting it as the vanguard of a new urban lifestyle for Atlanta, a collection of business and civic leaders officially launched the next addition to the sprouting Midtown skyline Wednesday.

As they prepared to turn the traditional shovel of dirt, the partners in ViewPoint, the high-rise development, reiterated their commitment to incorporating the 1922 apartment building designed by revered Atlanta architect Neel Reid into the modern complex's design.

Novare Group President Jim Borders said saving the historic six-unit structure, along with a popular Starbucks coffee site, will work well with ViewPoint's 36-story tower.

"The fact is that it really nicely fit into the plan just to leave it alone," Borders said. Although initial plans called for the 1922 Georgian Revival-style building to be gutted and rebuilt inside, Borders said the modified plan will produce a more restrained renovation of existing spaces. The historic units, which are about 1,500 square feet each, will be sold as condominiums.
Preservationists are applauding the move as a departure from Atlanta's usual approach to urban construction projects.

They are hoping more developers will create architecture that will encompass and harmonize with the city's notable buildings. "What we keep striving for here in Atlanta is contextual design," said Boyd Coons, executive director for the Atlanta Preservation Center, on whose board Borders serves. "With somebody like Jim Borders, you don't have to negotiate. He already understands."

ViewPoint's Phase I, set for completion in 2009 at an estimated cost of $115 million, will offer 285 one- and two-bedroom units from the low $200,000s to $450,000. Units will range from 775 square feet to 1,150 square feet. The dwellings will feature signature Novare high-tech amenities such as energy-saving home systems controls and a docking station for an MP3 player.
But in keeping with civic efforts to create a destination shopping district in Atlanta's "Midtown Mile," Borders said he will include two levels of retail space at ViewPoint. Most of Atlanta's mixed-use developments have only one.

"We've gone the extra mile to have sufficient retail [space] to attract national retailers," Borders said. "We do think we'll be able to get some well-known retailers."

ViewPoint partner Robin Loudermilk, president of Aaron Rents, said he expects the project to provide ample return, despite reports of diminishing sales for homes and condominiums nationwide. Loudermilk said Midtown's ongoing cachet and its solid employment base will support the additional housing.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser
That issue appeared very quickly and from a couple of the people I know on council and in city hall Mayor Franklin was VERY upset about it occuring.
Well, if the Mayor was strongly opposed to the moratorium, it seems like she could have simply declined to sign it. Although City Council eventually shot it down, the representative from the Mayor's office didn't speak against it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 5:40 PM

They also didn't speak for it after the intial news reporting if you will remember. The announcement came and then no one from the mayor's office ever supported it.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 5:55 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Oh that is hilarious, but Mary Norwood is the NIMBY's NIMBYist council member. I'm sure she is securing her support from many Buckhead & Virginia Highland residents, as well as Grant Park & Candler Park residents who are opposed to future condo towers. But unfortunately, with an at large seat, she has certainly secured her seat b/c there are enough residents in Atlanta that wish to keep the 'status-quo' in their neighborhoods. I experienced that time & time again in Grant Park.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 5:56 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Quote:
They also didn't speak for it after the intial news reporting if you will remember. The announcement came and then no one from the mayor's office ever supported it.
Mayor Franklin may have decided it was best to stay mum on the issue since the moratorium was likely to be defeated anyways. Franklin still wants to keep her support from the more conservative Atlanta residents in the established neighborhoods.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 5:58 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Speaking of the concept of the moratorium - it isn't that bizarre, in fact it is arguably one of the first true planning measures adopted in the US. In NYC in the early 1900's - hence that era's building architecture appears to have steps.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech
The dwellings will feature signature Novare high-tech amenities such as energy-saving home systems controls and a docking station for an MP3 player.

I'm not knocking ViewPoint because it seems like a great project, but can you imagine how antiquated a built-in MP3 player docking port will be in a few years?

Friends who drop by in 2012 will say, "What is this?" And a lot of the owners probably won't know either.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 7:36 PM

How true how true!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 7:43 PM

This is an opportunity for everyone who is upset about this to MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. I have already written a letter to the Mayor, Ms. Norwood, other At-Large Council and my Council reprsentative opposing ANY efforts to regulate towers beyond those already in place in the zoning code.

I mentioned that it flies in the face of several city initiatives:
-Including concentrating density around transit
-Reducing auto use
-Encouragning neighborhood retail
-Encouraging efficient use of land (and minimizing development pressure in neighborhoods), and
-Community supported visions as established by BluePrint Midtown and Imagine Downtown.

You can find your Council representatives on the City website www.atlantaga.gov.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus
This is an opportunity for everyone who is upset about this to MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. I have already written a letter to the Mayor, Ms. Norwood, other At-Large Council and my Council reprsentative opposing ANY efforts to regulate towers beyond those already in place in the zoning code.

I mentioned that it flies in the face of several city initiatives:
-Including concentrating density around transit
-Reducing auto use
-Encouragning neighborhood retail
-Encouraging efficient use of land (and minimizing development pressure in neighborhoods), and
-Community supported visions as established by BluePrint Midtown and Imagine Downtown.

You can find your Council representatives on the City website www.atlantaga.gov.
Thanks, Terminus. I just sent Anne Fauver an e-mail!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 1:40 AM

Atlanta Intown Paper reports that the 29-story Atlantis condo tower and adjoining 12-story Atlantis Lofts are coming soon. This is what the small section said in their Coming Soon part of the real estate section:

"A $50 Million Millard-Martinique LLC project, the 29-story Atlantis condo tower and adjoining 12-story Atlantis Lofts will stretch from 300 to 360 Luckie Street, facing the Georgia Aquarium. Twenty levels of residences, priced from $225s to $450s, will be joined by a ground-level, upscale restaurant and eight floors of parking. Atlantis is expected to be completed in 2007."

Also in the Coming Soon section:

"Centennial Park East continues the development of Centennial Place, just to the north. A mixed-use project of the Integral Group LLC, the building will go up at the intersection of Alexander Street and Centennial Olympic Park Drive. More than 210,000 square feet is slated for 200 housing units on seven levels. The project also includes more than 400 parking spaces and more than 31,000 square feet of retail space anchored by an urban grocery store."

Interesting news for downtown...I hope it all happens.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 2:37 AM

Check this out:

Peachtree Street

The plan looks nice, but I wish they had rail in the middle. Maybe cut down the two inside lanes? What do you think?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Well, no one other than the Mayor herself, of course.

If the Mayor was really angry about this and opposed to it, a more sensible solution would have been to simply not sign the moratorium in the first place. If she did it by mistake or was tricked into believing she was signing something else, it seems like she would have quickly rescinded it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLssMania
Atlanta Intown Paper reports that the 29-story Atlantis condo tower and adjoining 12-story Atlantis Lofts are coming soon. This is what the small section said in their Coming Soon part of the real estate section:

"A $50 Million Millard-Martinique LLC project, the 29-story Atlantis condo tower and adjoining 12-story Atlantis Lofts will stretch from 300 to 360 Luckie Street, facing the Georgia Aquarium. Twenty levels of residences, priced from $225s to $450s, will be joined by a ground-level, upscale restaurant and eight floors of parking. Atlantis is expected to be completed in 2007."

Also in the Coming Soon section:

"Centennial Park East continues the development of Centennial Place, just to the north. A mixed-use project of the Integral Group LLC, the building will go up at the intersection of Alexander Street and Centennial Olympic Park Drive. More than 210,000 square feet is slated for 200 housing units on seven levels. The project also includes more than 400 parking spaces and more than 31,000 square feet of retail space anchored by an urban grocery store."

Interesting news for downtown...I hope it all happens.

Thanks for posting this, but have you seen the renderings for Atlantis? One of the most hideous designs you can imagine, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta