HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I believe this is Prodema... it's real wood veneer laminated to a plastic panel, and then dipped in another clear plastic resin to protect the veneer.

I was skeptical of how it would fare in Chicago's climate, but they used it at a school out in Galewood and it still looks good after almost 10 years.
Do you think the interior version of this is what will be used in Studio Gangs O'Hare redevelopment plan?

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 12:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Do you think the interior version of this is what will be used in Studio Gangs O'Hare redevelopment plan?
Maybe... it's very expensive. There are a lot more options for wood or wood-like interior finishes, since they don't need to stand up to weather, insects, UV light, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
What's the possibility of trees and greenery being installed in parking spaces along main thoroughfares like this? I live close off North Ave and have always wondered why it's so barren
Don't hold your breath. They "widened" the sidewalks on Fullerton and this is the most we got, CDOT can't get rid of parking in many places due to the meter lease. They did squeeze an extra 2.5' of sidewalk on each side and add some trees and pretty brick but the street still feels like it's mostly asphalt... and the sidewalks are always narrow at signaled intersections, the road gets wider with a left turn lane so it pinches the sidewalk.

Before:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-87.6635404

After:

Last edited by ardecila; May 6, 2020 at 1:30 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Don't hold your breath. They "widened" the sidewalks on Fullerton and this is the most we got, CDOT can't get rid of parking in many places due to the meter lease. They did squeeze an extra 2.5' of sidewalk on each side and add some trees and pretty brick but the street still feels like it's mostly asphalt... and the sidewalks are always narrow at signaled intersections, the road gets wider with a left turn lane so it pinches the sidewalk.

Before:

After:
Aesthetically, that's actually not bad imho. If the bike lane was moved curbside I'd say it would actually be a great improvement. Unfortunately the redo resulted in less breathing room for bikers... I bet it's a lot more common for cars park to a couple inches the bike lane now.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 5:03 PM

Alderman lifts ban on Fulton Market residential projects
Ald. Walter Burnett hopes the change will help maintain neighborhood's momentum during the pandemic slowdown.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ntial-projects
Quote:
Near West Side Ald. Walter Burnett is scrapping a long-standing ban on new residential projects in most of the Fulton Market District, a move he hopes will stoke development while the coronavirus crisis cripples the real estate sector.

After years of developers pleading with him to change the policy, the 27th Ward boss said today he will no longer automatically oppose construction of new residential buildings north of Lake Street in the former meatpacking district. Burnett has consistently blocked such plans in the northern portion of the gritty-turned-trendy corporate corridor and reserved that historically industrial section of the neighborhood for commercial use...

Developers have warned that requirements for including more affordable units into projects will keep investors away and stunt new development the city wants.

Burnett said developers have told him they would agree to making 20 percent of residential units affordable if he lifted his ban, higher than the citywide 10 percent requirement.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
Well said.
Every time I drive Clybourn between North and Webster I get deja vu because there are three of these such strip malls and I’m pretty sure they all have a Mattress Firm.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Alderman lifts ban on Fulton Market residential projects
Ald. Walter Burnett hopes the change will help maintain neighborhood's momentum during the pandemic slowdown.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ntial-projects
whats the status on the PMD over there? I know it was changed but does this all now mean that there could be in time a continuous residential neighborhood from the west loop to west town?

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:36 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
whats the status on the PMD over there? I know it was changed but does this all now mean that there could be in time a continuous residential neighborhood from the west loop to west town?
The PMD was repealed east of Ogden in 2017 and replaced with regular M zoning, opening the door for developer zoning changes on a case-by case basis. That section of the PMD lay in a strip between Carroll and Hubbard, roughly, and and between Ogden and Halsted in the east-west direction. South of Carroll (any properties on Fulton Market itself, or Lake) have never been part of a PMD, they are just regular M zoning, which again can be changed by developers on a case-by-case basis.

The "ban" that Burnett just lifted for residential north of Lake was never rooted in the zoning map, it was just an unofficial policy that Burnett adopted where he wouldn't support any zoning changes to residential in that area. Technically that area is still part of an "industrial corridor" which is not a binding zoning designation, but I think Burnett was concerned about new residents conflicting with the remaining industrial users in the area. He doesn't want to field angry calls from Becky and Chad about the trucks idling on their street or the smells from the meatpackers. I'm sure the plan all along has been to ease up on the ban at some point, as industrial users continue to move out... the pandemic just provided an opening.

Between Ogden and Ashland the PMD was downgraded into a "PMD lite" which allows midrise office but never residential or hotel.

So, yes, there could be continuous residential from West Loop NORTH to West Town in the Grand/Ogden area, but west of Ogden the industrial corridor and PMD will remain.

Also worth noting is that we're in a census year; parts or all of the West Loop may soon end up in a different ward with a less development-friendly alderman. Certainly the rapid growth of downtown-adjacent areas (River North, West Loop, South Loop) would suggest that a second and/or third "downtown ward" should be created so the (mostly white) residents of these areas aren't represented by black & Latino aldermen whose power base is miles away.

Last edited by ardecila; May 8, 2020 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:23 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Watching the livestream plan commission meeting, the pushback against the Woodlawn Plan Consolidation Report by Ald. Taylor...good Lord.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Watching the livestream plan commission meeting, the pushback against the Woodlawn Plan Consolidation Report by Ald. Taylor...good Lord.
Same, waiting for tribune east tower, and BMO tower.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 1:59 AM

505 N Broadway

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:34 PM

^Handsome

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
^Handsome
Definitely one of the better re-habs.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 10:55 PM

121 S Ashland | Rush

May 7

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 11:41 PM

My clients have that penthouse corner unit facing south east. Stunning views of the skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 12:29 PM

I live a few blocks away and walk by it often. There still isn't any ground floor retail, but it's been such a nice transformation nonetheless. Just to the northeast on the other side of Broadway from this rehab is where Cedar Street is planning on further development at 5083 and 5063 North Broadway (not sure what the current economic situation will do to those plans). https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/3/...way-apartments

Plus there's the redevelopment directly across the street of 5035 North Broadway into TimeLine Theatre's new home. https://www.uptownupdate.com/2018/12...purchases.html

So it will be interesting to see this stretch of Broadway by the end of the decade, when presumably much of this redevelopment will be completed along with the completely rebuilt red line viaduct, underpasses, and Argyle station.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:26 PM
THAT Guy

15 N Elizabeth - another Miller Hull project for Ranquist

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 6:36 PM

Triben Tower Rehab

May 7

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
May 7

Feels like this is moving at a glacial pace.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
15 N Elizabeth - another Miller Hull project for Ranquist

You ever notice that they roll out the uber lux renderings whenever they want to demolish something historic? This would take the place of two great rowhouses/walk-ups.

https://goo.gl/maps/12hqod7Z4w7mS53Y6

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natoma View Post
You ever notice that they roll out the uber lux renderings whenever they want to demolish something historic? This would take the place of two great rowhouses/walk-ups.

https://goo.gl/maps/12hqod7Z4w7mS53Y6
If I'm not mistaken, the historic buildings were recently demolished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development