HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:32 AM

Looks like the Granite Building might be sold to a new developer:

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201912100055

It is such a cool building, and it would be nice if it got back into active use.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 2:51 PM

It's been a quieter time for development due to the upcoming holidays/break in city commissions/start of the slow season for construction, but a roundup of some lower-level development news over the past few weeks:

Several buyers are interested in obtaining the now-closed Regent Square Theater site from the Pittsburgh Center for Arts and Media, including Brian Mendelssohn, who owns Row House Cinema in Lawrenceville. Pittsburgh has so few single screen theaters left, and Row House seems to be one of the only ones who knows how to do it right in the area, so fingers crossed.

Hill House has gained approval to sell their last two remaining properties in the Hill District in order to help pay off its debts. It was always a dumb idea to be honest to think a social services agency could be a property developer, but I understand why they got involved in the neighborhood when no one else would.

In unsurprising news, the University of Pittsburgh is seeking to purchase the Twentieth Century Club building at 4201 Bigelow Boulevard. It's a natural fit, being immediately adjacent to Pitt's campus. Most people probably presumed it was a Pitt building already to be honest.

Next Pittsburgh has had some puff pieces about developments we've disussed in details in recent weeks, including the new Maginn Lofts project, and the recently completed Eighth & Penn.

Last edited by eschaton; Dec 11, 2019 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:05 PM

New tower at Civic Arena site

Some early morning news: FNB to anchor 24-story, 400ft. tower at the Civic Arena site. For comparison's sake with recent-ish high-rises, the PNC Tower is 33 stories and Tower 260 is 18 stories. Given the new tower's higher starting elevation, I would think its impact to the skyline will be closer to the PNC Tower, and should have some pretty good prominence on that side of 579.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur..._news_headline

Last edited by BobLoblaw; Dec 12, 2019 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:21 PM

Great news!! This tower is going to be very prominent, especially from the PNC Park.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:42 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Wow! I didn't think that the skyscraper in the lower hill renderings ever had much of a chance of being built but now it looks like it will come to fruition. That's awesome.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:02 PM

Fantastic looking tower! Congrats Pittsburgh! That whole development looks incredible!

24-floors for an office building will probably end up somewhere around 350-375 feet tall.

Is it just me, or does the design of that tower look pretty similar to the new FMC Tower here in Philadelphia? Even a similar company name anchoring each tower, lol.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:07 PM

The rendering makes little sense to me, honestly:

First, it seems clear that Chatham Center was edited out of the right of the shot. That's not a big deal I guess, it's an ugly building after all - I wouldn't want to showcase it either.

But even given that, the perspective is highly skewed, making the Lincoln Highway spur more or less vanish, and the deck park seem twice as deep as it really is.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:15 PM

Really really surprised by that new tower. Pleasantly.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:55 PM
Philly Pholly

Well this is huge! Great!
Downtown is finally moving across that canyon!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:06 PM

As always, I wish it was taller / more interesting looking. But I'm hard to please. Have all of our recent skyscrapers now been Gensler buildings? Would be nice to see someone take a risk with another architect.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:15 PM

Last edited by pj3000; Dec 12, 2019 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The rendering makes little sense to me, honestly:

First, it seems clear that Chatham Center was edited out of the right of the shot. That's not a big deal I guess, it's an ugly building after all - I wouldn't want to showcase it either.

But even given that, the perspective is highly skewed, making the Lincoln Highway spur more or less vanish, and the deck park seem twice as deep as it really is.
Odd that they edited out the Chatham Center building... and very weird that they put a surface parking lot in its place.

Lincoln Highway spur?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
As always, I wish it was taller / more interesting looking. But I'm hard to please. Have all of our recent skyscrapers now been Gensler buildings? Would be nice to see someone take a risk with another architect.
The rendering makes it look a bit plain, but I think it will turn out to be a high-quality, modern addition to the skyline. And Pittsburgh doesn't have a sleek, glassy high-rise of this style, so it will really add to the variety of shapes and textures in the skyline.

I'd love to see taller too... but 400' will definitely have significant impact in Pittsburgh; and the site's elevated location to downtown should make it stand out that much more. Basically, it's like putting the Alcoa Building (I think it's probably around 400') on the Hill.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Lincoln Highway spur?
Google Maps calls the little extension of Bedford Avenue across 579 Lincoln Highway for some reason.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Odd that they edited out the Chatham Center building... and very weird that they put a surface parking lot in its place.

Lincoln Highway spur?
Just a guess, but I wonder if they did it to show PPG Paints Arena, home of the developer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 1:47 AM
Ex Houstonian

Whoa, is that new tower legit, like going to happen. Ive basically given up on this city getting any new towers for like ten years. I go to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio, etc many times a year for work or just traveling and Pittsburgh always lets me down. All the above cities have tons of new developments and great new high-rises. NYC and Chicago obviously shouldn't be compared to Pittsburgh. But, Cincy, Cleve, San Antonio, hell even Detroit gets better stuff than PGH. Every week I travel I see way better developments all over this region other than Pittsburgh. Its like this city is relegated to crap corrugated siding.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:21 AM

Tower looks great. I think we knew FNB was going to move there just didn't know if it would be a high-rise or not. Hope this doesn't get scaled down before construction.

I would love to see this site look like a mini Hudson Yards with a cluster of 4-5 buildings in the 250-400 ft. range if zoning allows it. I know the plans don't suggest that but there has been mention of a few companies (Dollar Bank, K&L, People's Gas, EQT) moving their offices to this site.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:29 AM
World Class City

I totally agree. i see this as our mini Hudson Yards and would love to see similar towers there at that site so our skyline can expand. I wish I could see this towered rendered from other vantage points especially from the north shore and Mount Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Tower looks great. I think we knew FNB was going to move there just didn't know if it would be a high-rise or not. Hope this doesn't get scaled down before construction.

I would love to see this site look like a mini Hudson Yards with a cluster of 4-5 buildings in the 250-400 ft. range if zoning allows it. I know the plans don't suggest that but there has been mention of a few companies (Dollar Bank, K&L, People's Gas, EQT) moving their offices to this site.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Google Maps calls the little extension of Bedford Avenue across 579 Lincoln Highway for some reason.
Oh, ok thanks. Never knew that.

Now I see what you mean about it being almost erased and the cap park appearing bigger than it actually will be

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 12:23 PM
speagles84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Some early morning news: FNB to anchor 24-story, 400ft. tower at the Civic Arena site. For comparison's sake with recent-ish high-rises, the PNC Tower is 33 stories and Tower 260 is 18 stories. Given the new tower's higher starting elevation, I would think its impact to the skyline will be closer to the PNC Tower, and should have some pretty good prominence on that side of 579.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur..._news_headline
Haven't been on here for awhile, but after hearing this news I had to stop by.

Fantastic news all around.

I have software at work that has a survey of all of Allegheny county. The elevation of the site is 876' above sea level (ASL). Adding ~400' would put the roof height at 1276'.

Pnc tower sits at 736' and is 535' so roof height is about 1271' so it will roughly be the same height visually

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations