HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flancrest View Post
Deerfield dying is a very good thing.
As an employment destination, very yes. Otherwise, it is just a very, very distant, slightly neurotic Chicagoland neighborhood full of well off people to board Metra trains and come to the Loop each day where they should have been working in the first goddamn place.

One thing about this announcement that I found odd and encouraging is that it was picked up by CNBC (I know, I know) and either Reuters or Bloomberg.

That felt new. I don't usually see stories about corporation A decamping some suburb or another for the central city.

And between this and the Musk O'Hare coverage, it has possibly been the most press-positive week for this town.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:33 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, I agree. Out of state would be awesome - and at that, out of the region. Get someone from one of the coasts like Salesforce ( ) to open up a big office there.
Hah, yes absolutely!

Also, please tell me you know something we don't

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Hah, yes absolutely!

Also, please tell me you know something we don't
I don't know shit - but wish I did LOL. It's just good to finally see a sizable announcement like this. It'll be interesting to see who else goes there.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:42 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Frankly, I think it would be great to draw in a corp from outside the metro area. Caterpillar, State Farm and John Deere for example.
Caterpillar is already in the process of moving their corporate HQ to deerfield, though the bulk of their operations will remain down in peoria, from what I understand.

I believe john deere and state farm are the only two F500 HQ's left in illinois that aren't in chicagoland.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 10:05 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Caterpillar is already in the process of moving their corporate HQ to deerfield, though the bulk of their operations will remain down in peoria, from what I understand.

I believe john deere and state farm are the only two F500 HQ's left in illinois that aren't in chicagoland.
I thought I remembered a blurb about Caterpillar a while back, should have followed up on my hunch. But yes, you are correct. It would have been better if they chose the city proper, but Deerfield is certainly better than out in Peoria.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:58 PM

There's a press conference going on. I believe we're supposed to see some mew renderings too?

Last edited by r18tdi; Jun 18, 2018 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Any updates on the Post Office? It's been 2 months. This is my favorite project going on now! I can't wait to see it gleaming and fixed up for the next 100 years.
Yes, there is! I heard the other day, that Walgreens is moving their entire IT staff from the suburbs, to the Old Post Office! Not sure when, though.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:04 PM

you dont say

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
you dont say

Yeah, I read it somewhere on the internet...a message board of some sort...but I cant remember which one....hmmmm....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:19 PM
The City

If 1800 workers will occupy 200,000 sf of a 2.8 million sf building, then at full occupancy this building could potentially have 25,000 people working in it.

HOLY CRAPOLA!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:56 AM
1st Ward

Jesus, the entire downtown office worker population of a small to mid sized city in just one building. Crazy to think about.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
If 1800 workers will occupy 200,000 sf of a 2.8 million sf building, then at full occupancy this building could potentially have 25,000 people working in it.

HOLY CRAPOLA!
Yep. My floor at work is something like 125,000 sq ft and I think we have around 1000 total people. Now, think about the 25,000 people and think about how many might be living with a significant other. Think of how many have kids. Even if a quarter of those people want to live downtown or close to it, with an average household size of 1.25...that's nearly 8000 people. Now realize how Riverline (or whatever it's called now) is basically across the bridge with something like 3300 total units to be delivered...

Yeah it's pretty mindblowing when you think about it. Now imagine if Amazon chose Chicago and it was something like the 78. Now that's mindblowing LOL.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:47 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Yeah it's pretty mindblowing when you think about it. Now imagine if Amazon chose Chicago and it was something like the 78. Now that's mindblowing LOL.
Guaranteed to keep the real estate boom in the core going. Downtown will barely feel any coming recession.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Yep. My floor at work is something like 125,000 sq ft and I think we have around 1000 total people. Now, think about the 25,000 people and think about how many might be living with a significant other. Think of how many have kids. Even if a quarter of those people want to live downtown or close to it, with an average household size of 1.25...that's nearly 8000 people. Now realize how Riverline (or whatever it's called now) is basically across the bridge with something like 3300 total units to be delivered...

Considering how high the daytime population around the Post Office will be, it's matter of time until the "Southwest Loop" starts to grow. With the exception of the retail along Canal St, the area is a giant blank slate where developers are allowed to upzone to DX. It would allow for the skyline to venture into new territories

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:06 AM
1st Ward

^ Lots of empty lots and low slung warehouse-like buildings in that area that can all be easily redeveloped once land prices start going up. Excellent transportation connections as well, with the Clinton Blue, Union Station, 290 and 90/94 all nearby. Proximity to UIC doesn't hurt, either.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:44 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Considering how high the daytime population around the Post Office will be, it's matter of time until the "Southwest Loop" starts to grow. With the exception of the retail along Canal St, the area is a giant blank slate where developers are allowed to upzone to DX. It would allow for the skyline to venture into new territories
So far, planners have actively discouraged residential from this area (Southwest Loop is so boring, why not O'Learyville?)

I think the planners are working on the notion that downtown needs a lot of service businesses to sustain itself, and everybody benefits if those businesses are close to their downtown customers. Of course, these businesses also occupy a lot of square footage, so even O'Learyville can only hold a handful, UPS being the biggest.

The area also has poor transit, with few connections to the east or west and nothing between the Blue Line at Congress and the #12/18 at Roosevelt. I suppose the 60 could be re-routed through the area instead of taking Harrison.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:11 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
Who's next?, Allstate
Allstate is moving bodies out of state, not downtown.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:04 PM
BANNED

lots of nice renders and old pics

http://www.chicagomag.com/real-estat...ore-and-After/

The Old Main Post

Office: Before and After

For 20 years, the 2.5 million square–foot facility has sat
empty. Soon, it will take shape as a sleek new office building.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:48 PM
Development Shill

"renders"

When will people stop making this mistake? Oof

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:22 PM

What an improvement. For 5 years i looked down at that site from my office and thought what horrible greeting that place was as your entered the downtown area. Good stuff Chicago!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development