HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
For a second I thought that it meant another apartment buildig would rise. But park avenue is good too.
As for Pizzaria Bianco. This is great news!!! I can't wait to see how congress shapes up in the next year or so.
I'm kinda against pinal county. I read that the estimated population of casa grande was supposed to surpass Tucson in about 2040. I vowed to not let this happen. But some of the Tucson Metro area is in pinal. Hopefully Pima county could be split into the Tucson metro area and take some of pinal county as well. Kinda like Denver.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
For a second I thought that it meant another apartment buildig would rise. But park avenue is good too.
As for Pizzaria Bianco. This is great news!!! I can't wait to see how congress shapes up in the next year or so.
I'm kinda against pinal county. I read that the estimated population of casa grande was supposed to surpass Tucson in about 2040. I vowed to not let this happen. But some of the Tucson Metro area is in pinal. Hopefully Pima county could be split into the Tucson metro area and take some of pinal county as well. Kinda like Denver.
I think those population projections were from before the recession. With the crash of the housing market and the rise in gas prices, I don't see this happening, at least not by the date they projected. Exurban growth is out, city-living, with walkable neighborhoods and suburban living with good, reliable transit, is what people want now.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:33 AM

DENSER STUDENT HOUSING GOING UP

First tower west of UA set to get a 13-story neighbor

A second crane has moved in on North Park Avenue near the University of Arizona as construction begins on a new high-rise complex for students.

Called Park Avenue, the project is the second for Chicago-based Campus Acquisitions, which is also developing the neighboring tower known as Level - set to open this fall.

The two towers will provide nearly 1,000 bedrooms for student housing. Both complexes will feature rooftop swimming pools.

Mike Derkenne, one of the owners of Beal Derkenne Construction, said crews working on Park Avenue are currently excavating to build a two-story underground parking garage. The complex is expected to open for the fall 2014 semester... (click link for full article).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
DENSER STUDENT HOUSING GOING UP

First tower west of UA set to get a 13-story neighbor

A second crane has moved in on North Park Avenue near the University of Arizona as construction begins on a new high-rise complex for students.

Called Park Avenue, the project is the second for Chicago-based Campus Acquisitions, which is also developing the neighboring tower known as Level - set to open this fall.

The two towers will provide nearly 1,000 bedrooms for student housing. Both complexes will feature rooftop swimming pools.

Mike Derkenne, one of the owners of Beal Derkenne Construction, said crews working on Park Avenue are currently excavating to build a two-story underground parking garage. The complex is expected to open for the fall 2014 semester... (click link for full article).
The story did contain one error. It said that the Hub hadn't broken ground yet. That's my comment (the second overall comment) in the comment section, pointing out the error and putting a link to the cameras of the construction area.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
The story did contain one error. It said that the Hub hadn't broken ground yet. That's my comment (the second overall comment) in the comment section, pointing out the error and putting a link to the cameras of the construction area.
Which corner of 1st St and Tyndall is the Hub going on? There's going to be a lot of student housing in that area. Hopefully they use the steeetcar. Anyone care to post pics of the progress?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:14 PM

Tucson airport eyes terminal makeover to meet changing demands of air travel
By David Hatfield

Walk into the departures level of the terminal at Tucson International Airport these days and among the most obvious features are the airline ticket counters — the empty counters.
Despite the overall modern look from the last renovation completed eight years ago, it’s obvious this is a terminal that was designed to accommodate airlines that once made Tucson a regular stop, including Aeromexico, America West, Arizona Airways, Braniff, Continental, Frontier, Hughes Airwest, JetBlue, Northwest, PSA, Reno, Republic and TWA. Some withdrew service from Tucson, but most, nine of them, are airline names that no longer exist.
Assuming regulators approve, another name will begin to fade away by year’s end when US Airways is combined into American, leaving it, Alaska, Delta, Southwest and United as just five airlines serving the airport.
This is also an airport terminal designed before Sept. 11, 2001, and the security measures that came afterward.
And one other important contributing factor is how airlines have adapted to technological advances that now allow passengers to get boarding passes on their smartphones and to use self-bagging and tagging services.
All of which means its time to start looking at a Terminal Renovation Improvement Project (TRIP). The Tucson Airport Authority is currently soliciting requests and from firms to provide phasing, programming, design, cost estimating and construction documents and administration. The plan is to award a contract by the end of May.
Lorraine Behr, manager of architectural services for the airport authority, says the project is the result of nearly two years’ work on a terminal optimization study focusing on four areas:
• Improving passenger flow.
• Enhancing customer service levels.
• Optimizing space.
• Increasing revenue for the airport.
“Since 9/11, most passengers want to come in to the terminal, get through the security checkpoint and then get to a place where they can relax,” Behr said. “In our case we’ve found that we have way too much space in the areas pre-security and not enough space post-security.”
Key to the changes being contemplated in the preferred design concept are moving the security checkpoints from “the throat of the concourses,” as Behr puts it, and putting them at the far east and west ends of what are now the airline ticketing counter areas. For those with memories of when these areas were used by airlines, the security entrance to the A Concourse would take the place of the vacant counters last used by ExpressJet and Frontier Airlines and the security area to the B Concourse would take the place of the counters last used by Northwest Airlines and JetBlue.
The security checkpoints are envisioned to have four to six lanes.
In preparing for the renovation, Behr said airport officials reviewed mechanical and technical drawings dating back to when the terminal was originally built in 1962. Some areas behind the airline ticket counters have remained largely untouched since then.
All but those who remember using that original terminal back in the 1960s and 1970s might be surprised to learn the south wall of the terminal facing over the airfield features glass, which could come into use again. Once passengers pass through the security checkpoints they would walk behind the airline ticketing offices along a glassed-walkway to the concourse.
“From the entrance to the back of the terminal building it will be sunlight to sunlight, opening the whole area up,” Behr said. “This should be gorgeous when we get it done.”
Currently, the construction budget for the renovation is anywhere from $3 million to $12 million but that will be refined based on final designs and how they impact the terminal building and its infrastructure, Behr said. Yet to be determined is how much of the projects will qualify for funding from federal and state entities.
A goal of TRIP is to make changes that will serve the airport for at least the next 20 years. Included in the preferred design concept are:
• Boosting concession space on the cramped A Concourse by 3,100 square feet, or 40 percent, from the existing 7,500 square feet. About 1,600 square feet, or 20 percent, would be added for concessions on the more spacious B Concourse, which currently has more than 8,500 square feet already being used.
• More space will be made available for kiosks, both for airlines and for things such as ATMs.
• Space will be made available for ticket counters to be reconfigured into a pier concept airlines are finding more efficient. These piers would extend further out toward the front entrance to the airport. (Basically, instead of walking up to a counter and then having to back-track afterway, the pier system has passengers walk up to a kiosk to start the check-in process, then move forward beyond the kiosk to check a bag if necessary, continuing to move forward through the system.)
• Even in the pre-security areas, food, beverage and retail concessions would be relocated closer to where people congregrate. Most likely the Jet Rock restaurant and lounge and the Paradies Desert News and Gift Shop on the mezzanine level would be closed and moved to the ticketing level. One idea is to have the airport authority move its administrative offices into the mezzanine area, allowing for the lease or sale of the current administration building, 7005 S. Plumer Ave.
There’s no timetable for construction, although Behr thinks it could start within a year. She said the phasing will be crucial and making sure each tenant at the airport buys into the plan.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Which corner of 1st St and Tyndall is the Hub going on? There's going to be a lot of student housing in that area. Hopefully they use the steeetcar. Anyone care to post pics of the progress?
I think most of us have just been using the Level webcam. You can see all three projects on it.

EDIT - The Hub is the project on the left on the NW corner of 1st and Tyndall.

http://www.uebbuilders.com/webcams/tyndall2.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:59 PM

Updates as of 04/25/2013

Joint Justice/Municipal Courts Complex

One East Broadway

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
Updates as of 04/25/2013

Joint Justice/Municipal Courts Complex

One East Broadway

Those power lines in front of the new courthouse need to go!!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 10:51 PM
Tucsonan

Some Shots of LEVEL!

FROM N.E.

FROM EAST

FROM SOUTH

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 12:45 AM
Tucsonan

also Diablo Burger opens May 4 http://diabloburger.com/index.php

and im sure Proper opens around same time...

FORS has some great pictures on their facebook of both! (thanks DSGNR7 if your the one who posts on the FB)

https://www.facebook.com/FORSarchitecture

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post

FORS has some great pictures on their facebook of both! (thanks DSGNR7 if your the one who posts on the FB)

If you guys click on the menu item "locations" and then "good oak bar" it says coming soon, Tucson, Arizona, EST. 2013. I wonder if it's going to be some place around downtown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 1:47 AM

Quote:

I heard a few days ago that Proper was scheduled to have their soft opening next week, so that would match up.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 1:51 AM

For anyone who doesn't know, FORS started a Twitter account the other day and mentioned that it would be a source for news on restaurant and hotel openings. The hotel part piqued my interest.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 3:05 AM

Downtown not just for Sun Tran

Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 12:00 am

Inside Tucson Business

Downtown Tucson is no longer a means to an end — it’s a destination in its own right.

The changing dynamics of downtown has sparked an effort to re-evaluate uses for the 21-year-old Ronstadt Transit Center.

Already, though, the visioning process has prompted some to start couching the arguments as “us” versus “them.”

Mix that in with talk of winners and losers and it’s doomed from the outset.

An organization called the Tucson Bus Riders Union is concerned that users of the Ronstadt Transit Center will be shunted to “back-alley space” while space along Congress Street and Sixth Avenue is turned over to private interests.

Meanwhile, business owners who have relocated downtown wonder why so many diesel-belching buses all need to converge — one right after another — downtown. The congestion alone inhibits the ability for people to move around.

There is opportunity somewhere in between the two arguments... (full article at link)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 3:25 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
If you guys click on the menu item "locations" and then "good oak bar" it says coming soon, Tucson, Arizona, EST. 2013. I wonder if it's going to be some place around downtown.
Good Oak Bar is in the Rialto building next to DB

and in Regards to the ITB Sun Tran Editorial... I completely agree with it!

specifically this:

"It is evident, however, that not everyone who rides a Sun Tran bus is interested in going downtown. Nor, it appears, would riders be concerned if their connecting point were someplace other than the Ronstadt Transit Center."

"Tucson’s downtown is standing on its own with exciting restaurants and nightlife and a burgeoning retail sector. It is a destination. Sun Tran doesn’t need to find artificial reasons to force people downtown when they don’t want to be there."

Last edited by Anqrew; Apr 27, 2013 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 3:48 AM

Tallahassee recently decentralized their bus system resulting in fewer lines going through downtown. My understanding is that at has worked well so far. It may be a good idea for Tucson to look into that.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...us-system/118/

Ridership increased a year after implementation:

Quote:
Despite an initial and expected small drop in the early months of the transition, by January 2012, ridership numbers were up about 15 percent compared to the same month the previous year.
http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/...Overnight.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Good Oak Bar is in the Rialto building next to DB

and in Regards to the ITB Sun Tran Editorial... I completely agree with it!

specifically this:

"It is evident, however, that not everyone who rides a Sun Tran bus is interested in going downtown. Nor, it appears, would riders be concerned if their connecting point were someplace other than the Ronstadt Transit Center."

"Tucson’s downtown is standing on its own with exciting restaurants and nightlife and a burgeoning retail sector. It is a destination. Sun Tran doesn’t need to find artificial reasons to force people downtown when they don’t want to be there."
You know, I never looked at it this way, but this article brings up some interesting points. I think they could still have the hub of transit (including the bus) downtown, but have it in a better location. What about moving the bus hub down by I-10 and Granada/Cushing St., maybe to the northwest of the street (right next to the Greyhound station). This would be right by the streetcar (and a stop is being built right there) which could take people into the core of downtown. This would also get people right to the Greyhound station. They could build a joint use area, with Greyhound possibly helping a little with the funding (they wouldn't be using it as much as the city, I'd imagine - I also imagine much funding would be from the city selling the property that the Ronstadt transit center sets on now). The traffic would me moved out of the center of downtown and a new area for a new building (or even 2) would be opened up. This spot would be perfect. Busses coming up from the south and east on I-10 could take the 22nd St. exit and use the frontage road to the location. Those coming from the north and northwest on I-10 could use the Congress exit and use the southbound frontage road to Cushing St. Busses coming from the east, south of 22nd St. could funnel onto that street (especially if they ever widen it to 3 lanes each way like the RTA says they will - I think it's been pushed back a little though). Even the busses coming up Aviation Hwy could use this, as there is an exit onto Kino and then a right exit (after the overpass is finished being built at 22nd St.) onto 22nd St. After the Downtown Links is finished these busses on Aviation could even just take the link to the southbound I-10 frontage road at St. Mary's to Cushing St. Busses from the northeast could funnel onto Grant after it's completely widened to I-10, then off at Congress St. and down the frontage road to Cushing St. This may even help bring more people and traffic into the area of the Tucson Convention Center and the west-side of downtown (the Gadsden area). Problem solved - central downtown is not as congested, there's still a link to central downtown via regular bus routes and the streetcar, the space the Rondstadt is on now can be sold and built on, better use for the Greyhound bus station (probably joined and upgraded with the Sun Tran lot/transit center), new transit center located right by I-10, could help bring more people to underdeveloped western end of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 5:07 PM

First off, thank you ComplotDesigner and Anqrew for the great pictures.

Secondly, just looked at the camera for the Level, and it looks like the elevator shaft has started coming out of the ground at the Hub.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 1:35 AM

Quote:

It is more of a team effort, but we are definitely trying to boost our social media presence. We are just started something called FORS @ 4, where everyday at 4pm we will post a photo update of one of our projects.

Proper's fb page has also been posting some great photos. http://www.facebook.com/propertucson

Proper and Diablo are very close to opening. It is all hands on deck to get them open in the next week. The last two big events of spring (Mother's Day and graduation) are really important for restaurants as they head into the slow summer months, so if you are looking for somewhere to take Mom or to celebrate a graduation, be sure to support these great new additions to downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest