HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Australia

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 9:46 PM
Architect of the future

Melbourne, future new york?

I live in melbourne and i am absolutely inspired by the city the create drawings and buildings designs.

Anyway, i have heard and seen all around the place that in the future (2050?) Melbourne will have an astonishing amount of skyscrapers and will over take sydney as the largest city in australia.

DO you think that melbourne should have buildings taller than the Eureka Tower or should it stay the tallest?

-Tower X

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Let ego and the market determine Melbourne's tallest. But yes, a fine skyline.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 8:13 AM

Melborne kind of shares the "financial capitol" thing with Sydney does'nt it? In the US it's New York and Chicago is a distant 2nd. Are there any large office projects planned for DT Melbourne? Where are the financial exchanges at?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 11:52 PM

I guess one could argue that Melbourne has looked forward and embraced modern and bold archiecture, because unlike Sydney with it's harbour, headlands and beaches... the Melbs landscape is otherwise a filthy river and quite a bland and flat landscape... I am not dissing Melbs because I love Melbs... but yeah comparing MEL to New York is kinda RIDIC is you ask me??!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linum View Post
I guess one could argue that Melbourne has looked forward and embraced modern and bold archiecture, because unlike Sydney with it's harbour, headlands and beaches... the Melbs landscape is otherwise a filthy river and quite a bland and flat landscape... I am not dissing Melbs because I love Melbs... but yeah comparing MEL to New York is kinda RIDIC is you ask me??!!
I'd disagree 100%. Melbourne has a very beautiful CBD and it's landscape isn't bland by any stretch. Each to their own, but

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsky View Post
I'd disagree 100%. Melbourne has a very beautiful CBD and it's landscape isn't bland by any stretch. Each to their own, but
Second that. Take away the beaches, and for me, Melbourne > Sydney, by almost every measure. I just got back from 10 days in this awesome city. (Sydney is awesome as well: spent a week there 10 years ago and I loved it)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jul 27, 2013 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:25 AM
Editor

Yes, the Yarra is a bit on the dirty side, but still nicely developed. Everything else about Melbourne is fantastic. While not as big as New York, its downtown and inner neighbourhood streets have a vibrancy that reminds me very much of Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linum View Post

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:57 PM

Might be a little off topic but just wanna add that when I look at such Sydney comparisons, one thing I would say about Sydney is that very generally much of the spotlight naturally gets directed to the CBD, the inner city neighbourhoods and harbour/beachside areas. I think this often leaves much of the other parts of the city overlooked. The thing with Sydney is that comparatively it's a bit more decentralised than the other Australian cities and if you venture a bit further out, you'd find that throughout much of the metropolitan area most of the suburbs are structured around various rather interesting and urban town centres, satellite CBDs and ethnic suburbs. A few examples:

Chatswood, 10 kms north of the CBD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1K4W5Rw2Us

Hurstville 15kms to the south
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lei5qv68QGY

Parramatta 20kms west
http://vimeo.com/67388493

Lakemba 15kms south west
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko24_4gasOE

Cabramatta 30kms south west
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGdRNzQW--s

These are just a few out of the dozens of such places and to me the city is just as much about these areas as it is about the harbour, beaches and the inner city. Just my 2 cents

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 12:58 PM
BANNED

Are there before/after pics of the skyline? A lot must have changed since 2011

Last edited by Perklol; Nov 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 5:10 PM

Twin Queens Place Towers Planned for Melbourne

Quote:
Billed as "the most liveable address in the world's most liveable city," the 79-storey twin-tower Queens Place by developer 3L Alliance is set to transform the Melbourne skyline from its location upon the top of Flagstaff Hill.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Australia