HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Winnipeg's potential future skyline in the next few years. A good number of these are under construction already, with more beginning soon. Some are proposals.

My edit of TrueVikings picture.
Man, the Winnipeg skyline is sure going to be filling out quite nicely over the next couple of years. Me likey

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:14 AM
ARTchitecture

There's an over 100 meter Westin proposal for Winnipeg? Cool. When did that happen?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:29 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
There are multiple rumours, each presenting a different scenario. I simply presented the most optimistic of these scenario's. It is a future render, so I didn't feel like cutting everyone out of what could possibly be of the development. We will find out how tall and how many towers are a part of the Fortress development.

But yes the rumours are a) New Tallest for the city. and b) 1-3 towers c) grocery store d)offices e) restaurant f) 80-250 million project.
Ok, thanks. I'll look out for it. Good things happening in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
There's an over 100 meter Westin proposal for Winnipeg? Cool. When did that happen?
Not only is it a proposal, but the site is getting ready for construction soon :p

It's beside 201 Portage, on one of the worst parking lots in the city, rumoured at 27 storeys. No official reveal, private project so not much has been made but they have started bringing equipment to site

@chrisallard

Wicked render man!!

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Not only is it a proposal, but the site is getting ready for construction soon :p

It's beside 201 Portage, on one of the worst parking lots in the city, rumoured at 27 storeys. No official reveal, private project so not much has been made but they have started bringing equipment to site

@chrisallard

Wicked render man!!
Lol, it could be much better. I figured with all of the big announcements, that we might as well put something out there to reference it all to.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
The weird thing is that there never really was a public proposal. Just one day there was construction fences and machinery for caissons. Then low and behold one of our members (Vike) revealed that a 27 (give or take) story Westin with offices will most likely go there. Most likely being equivalent to 99% as they have begun construction.

The only problem with it is that the architect who designed the building has had some pretty sketchy looking urban designs made in the past, so heres to hoping for the best.

Also it should be noted that these are loose estimates, height wise, based off of the info we have.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 11:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:17 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow that is absolutely fantastic! I can't believe the categorical improvements going on nation-wide! It literally keeps dumbfounding me! I already thought Winnipeg was doing well, but now its skyline will most likely be moving into the next tier by 2016

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Wow that is absolutely fantastic! I can't believe the categorical improvements going on nation-wide! It literally keeps dumbfounding me! I already thought Winnipeg was doing well, but now its skyline will most likely be moving into the next tier by 2016
When I first became a member of this forum the only new-build construction projects on the go downtown were a 6-storey Hampton Inn, a 3-storey Credit Union office and a 3-storey Mountain Equipment Co-op store.

However modest Winnipeg's current highrise building boom may be by the standards of other Canadian cities, it is practically an off-the-charts Dubai-like frenzy by our standards - especially as compared to the stagnant period that ran from roughly 1992 to 2002.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

However modest Winnipeg's current highrise building boom may be by the standards of other Canadian cities, it is practically an off-the-charts Dubai-like frenzy by our standards - especially as compared to the stagnant period that ran from roughly 1992 to 2002.
Haha I know it really is exciting. I would've been happy with just one project but several at once is just insanity haha. I hope one of the two big ones is all glass...we could use a modern facelift to the skyline.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 2:53 AM

Wow I didn't know Winnipeg is getting a new tallest? I know its a rumour, but I hope it happens.

So Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Quebec, all same sized cities, are getting new tallests.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 5:03 AM
The New Republic

Nice to see the vertical construction boom is now officially a national phenomenon.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 1:13 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Wow I didn't know Winnipeg is getting a new tallest? I know its a rumour, but I hope it happens.

So Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Quebec, all same sized cities, are getting new tallests.
Since when is QC getting a new tallest?

and Hamilton and Winnipeg's new tallests are tentative at best.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 3:42 PM

My bad, I thought that office building under construction in St Foy was gonna be a new tallest. But its 110m.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 5:18 PM
ARTchitecture

Still impressive though. They may not be getting a new tallest, but hell, they are getting a whole new skyline! QC is probably the smallest of the major cities with more than one "large" skyline.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 6:45 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Still impressive though. They may not be getting a new tallest, but hell, they are getting a whole new skyline! QC is probably the smallest of the major cities with more than one "large" skyline.
Burlington's skyline isn't that terrible and is growing pretty good.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 6:54 PM
ARTchitecture

It's also a suburb, and doesn't have multiple skylines. My post was entirely about major cities with multiple skylines. But yeah Burlington is doing very well, along with the entire Greater Golden Horseshoe except for St. Catharines and Oshawa.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 11:40 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Winnipeg's potential future skyline in the next few years. A good number of these are under construction already, with more beginning soon. Some are proposals.

My edit of TrueVikings picture.
GO PEG!
I'm especially liking the potential of the Westin & Fortress towers.
Really hope you get a new tallest.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
The top of Waterpark 3 will be visible directly in front of TD Canada Trust in that view.
....damn.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:15 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
It's also a suburb, and doesn't have multiple skylines. My post was entirely about major cities with multiple skylines. But yeah Burlington is doing very well, along with the entire Greater Golden Horseshoe except for St. Catharines and Oshawa.
I was using it as a comparison to Sainte Foy, being sort of to Hamilton what Sainte Foy is to Quebec.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada