HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
I wish I shared your enthusiasm but for me this project needs a signature tower, (or two)....This site is too homogeneous and completely underwhelming for a massive riverside development. I'd rather see a supertall or something close to it even if it meant sacrificing some density. The plans for the southern plot on the site is quite pathetic and looks like it belongs far from downtown. A couple 500'ish buildings and a 700'-800'er by the bridge would be ideal and what I'd expect to see for such a prominent location. I can't believe they are wasting so much land with those 3 or 4 floor condos. Hopefully Related brings a modern world class vision to their land south to make up for this bust.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...12-column.html

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:27 AM
Chicago

May 25, 2017

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:18 PM
Development Shill

Memorial Day Weekend

Definitely takes up more space than I thought it would. Also shoutout to thumbs up guy in the backseat of that Dodge

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:52 PM

June 3

Skipping Work

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 12:52 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Thanks for the updates Harry and Solar! Great pictures -- they're really taking their sweet time on this one, eh? I understand the geometry and complexity of the base, but wow...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 1:41 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post
Thanks for the updates Harry and Solar! Great pictures -- they're really taking their sweet time on this one, eh? I understand the geometry and complexity of the base, but wow...
I think that's really what it boils down to. The unique design for the base looks like it requires more attention/non-traditional formwork...not to mention for the tower portion as well, even though those floorplates appear more uniform:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/8/17...und-next-month

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:56 AM

I may be in the minority here, but I like how the buildings are supposed to look. Really hoping they don't turn out to be cheap looking when it's all said and done (sadly, it has happened too many times). Could imagine a day though when the riverwalk extends all the way to Chinatown through areas like this.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 10:13 PM
1st Ward

^ I am really interested to see how they address the riverwalk through River City. I would assume some kind of floating deck/bridge set up over the marina entrance.

A single continuous riverwalk from the lake/Navy Pier all the way to Chinatown would be an amazing sight!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 10:30 PM

River city has a gargantuan amount of retail space in massive internal atrium/mall. They should just route river walk traffic through this publicly accessible atrium and watch as it goes from back back offices and random salons to a full on retail mall. That would be awesome if a section of the riverwalk passed through a major retail mall, would add a whole nother dimension to the experience. There's 80,000 SF of retail in that building which could house dozens of shops. The atrium that houses that space is kick ass to boot.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 2:11 AM
Urbane observer

^Problem with River City's internal "street" is how it intrudes on residents' sense of separation from the outside. Goldberg said he based the proportions on the Ile de la Cité, but of course the Ile isn't roofed and enclosed at both ends; doesn't have concrete and glass amplifying every cough and conversation all the way up past people's front door.

I can't see the current condo association just throwing open the doors to be part of the riverwalk. They might yet deconvert to a rental building owned by someone more interested in the retail component, or who would reorient the retail spaces to be accessed from the reconstructed riverwalk corridor.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 3:58 AM

The condo association doesn't own the retail so that's too bad for them. Marc realty has owned it for years and plans to redevelop it. They even tried to deconvert the condos to rentals. River City Mall has never been fully utilized even when it was not condo. The problem has been that it was nowhere near anything for the past three decades. Now that the area is filling in and with potential Riverwalk traffic that's subject to change.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:57 PM
Urbane observer

They don't own the retail, but they sure as hell control any new access to it, as well as signage and a raft of other things (my building is similar). They get their assessments regardless of whether any business is even open down there. They won't see any upside to inviting even more strangers (boo, hiss) into the building.

On another tack, has anyone ever found a rendering that shows Riverline's Wells streetscape—or lack thereof? Everything seems to show the project from the river.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I may be in the minority here, but I like how the buildings are supposed to look. Really hoping they don't turn out to be cheap looking when it's all said and done (sadly, it has happened too many times). Could imagine a day though when the riverwalk extends all the way to Chinatown through areas like this.
I completely agree. I really like the design..

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
They don't own the retail, but they sure as hell control any new access to it, as well as signage and a raft of other things (my building is similar). They get their assessments regardless of whether any business is even open down there. They won't see any upside to inviting even more strangers (boo, hiss) into the building.

On another tack, has anyone ever found a rendering that shows Riverline's Wells streetscape—or lack thereof? Everything seems to show the project from the river.
I highly doubt the owners of the retail would have bought it for any reasonable price if they have no signage rights. This isn't Dearborn Park or a new construction condo building. There was retail there before condo owners. I doubt the original condo docs would have taken that right from existing tenants who likely had standard clauses about signage in their leases. Stripping those right even if they weren't necessarily being used would invariably trigger a lawsuit the moment anyone tries to block a sign requested by one of the retail tenants. In any case I have an attorney who is buying some investment units in there for the obvious price appreciation that will result from RC turning from brownfield island into an actual part of the city. I'll look at the condo docs when we get them and let you know if it says anything about the retail.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
For the Ancora building under construction, there looks to be retail along Wells St with no setbacks from the street. The one thing I don't like is how parts of the garage is exposed, but otherwise the Wells St side looks to be alright

Source: Chicago Curbed

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 11:02 PM
Development Shill

I could see them deciding to sacrifice effort on the Wells street side since the streetscape and feel on the developed part of Wells is so awful

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I could see them deciding to sacrifice effort on the Wells street side since the streetscape and feel on the developed part of Wells is so awful
Which makes fixing that all the more important.. not less important.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:48 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Which makes fixing that all the more important.. not less important.
I'm not agreeing with the decision at all, just anticipating that outcome

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 8:47 PM
1st Ward

Wells is going to become a very important artery connecting a lot of these new South Loop developments in the near future. It would be wise to develop it in a way that is engaging to pedestrians, so that it doesn't become an auto oriented throughway.

Hopefully the Riverline development doesn't repeat the mistakes of the past by focusing in on itself and putting up a bland, dead facade to its surroundings *cough Dearborn Park *cough*

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 4:40 AM

Riverline Development from Jackson, Van Buren

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction