HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 8:33 PM

Go Ahead and Light Up ...

http://tmblr.co/ZvK8DxA0WOsu

...you're surrounded by concrete and steel!

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 11:15 PM

Sawtelle/Warren G. Harding/University High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post

http://www.gabrielinosprings.com

i know the springs very well i went to uni(hence the name),the springs were not maintained until around 1939,in the late 50s they re-routed the spring that is near the upper field.the lagoon has held alot of activites since.there is also one building used for classes in the main spring/lagoon area.
Hi unihikid, You've given me the excuse to post pix of Uni, pre and post the 1933 Long Beach quake, which cost Uni its lantern, tower/rotunda, gable with oeil-de-boeuf window and portico.

Front entrance, Russell and Alpaugh, 1924

fbcdn.net

The back of the what-is-now-called the Administration Building. This side has been used in a great many films & TV shows (partial list on the wiki page):

lapl

Another view of the back after regrading and further building:

Islandora

"Los Angeles architectural firm of Russell and Alpaugh drew up plans for the $350,000 high school that contained an auditorium, gym, cafeteria, industrial arts room, and 24 classrooms in 07/1923. The name was changed From Warren G. Harding High School to University High School just after the University of California, Los Angeles Campus moved to Westwood from East Hollywood in 1927-1929. By 1929, Warren Harding's name had been discredited by Teapot Dome and other scandals during his administration. He was not seen as a proper role model for young people by this time. According to the high school's web site, the name "University" was selected "...because it became a site where teachers-in-training from nearby UCLA worked as assistant teachers." (See "University High School History,"Accessed 11/16/2010.)

Early notices referred to the high school as the "Sawtelle High School." Two stories high, the brick school shared its Italian Romanesque styling with nearby UCLA which was being planned at about the same time."
- http://pcad.lib.washington.edu/building/6263/

Front entrance, 2004

wiki

The back of the Admin Building as location for "Valentine's Day" (2010):

seeingstars

Music video, "Leave (Get Out)", JoJo (2004):

youtube

P.S. The single-classroom building in the springs area you mentioned is now the Kuruvungna Springs Museum.
And as for "lagoon (area) has held a lot of activities since", LOL, I know. I spent plenty of time raking used condoms, beer bottles and roach-ends out of the bushes.
(Trying to return even a little piece of LA to a pre-urban state is not the easiest thing one can attempt.)

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 17, 2017 at 5:26 PM. Reason: fix link

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:08 AM

In Today's L.A. Times

Los Angeles Times

Feb. 1970: Southern Pacific freight train passes P.J.’s on Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood on old tracks that once carried Pacific Electric Railway’s Red Cars.

Today:

Google Street View

No trains...no P.J.'s

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A M A Z I N G.....1905 to 2012 in the heart of Hollywood.

2012/posted by Joe Gillis

I expected this little jewel to be gone gone. What a pleasant surprise!

Thanks for the information on Eastside beer T2...very interesting.
__

There's a link in this prior post about the ASC building with more pictures...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6446

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:17 AM

Hollywood & Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
That's a great shot of Hollywood & Vine with the Brown Derby in the background. I loved shopping at The Broadway Hollywood (across Hollywood Blvd in the above view), it was a gorgeous store.

P.S. Looks like the underside of Melody Lane's (or Hoady's) portico could use some paint.

LAT

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:26 AM
Closed account

Spotlight - Spotlite Bar - Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Thx for speaking up for the Spotlight. It was everybody's loss when it closed. The Spotlight signage is still up on Google Street View. Cruise by in your Googlemobile before it's gone.
I first visited this crazy dive when it was on Vine...the original location. Guys were buying me drinks and I was just a kid then. I may have been the in the Navy at that time. It was kind of classy then. The next time I looked for it they had moved west over to Selma St. and Cahuenga. I was in school then and liked to hang out there on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. There were a few guys there who were 'models' for AMG Studio. Jack Renio was one I knew and there were others. A cool guy named Pineapple was the table-bartender. Occasionally at night I would see some minor star from old TV shows. A lot of wealthy older guys would stop by for a drink. I met many people there. Once a fight broke out amongst the competitive 'hustlers'...I went for cover and hid from the bar stools being bounced around. That was a different era for sure.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:09 AM

The Spotlight Room 1963-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasUrantia View Post
I first visited this crazy dive when it was on Vine...the original location. Guys were buying me drinks and I was just a kid then. I may have been the in the Navy at that time. It was kind of classy then. The next time I looked for it they had moved west over to Selma St. and Cahuenga. I was in school then and liked to hang out there on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. There were a few guys there who were 'models' for AMG Studio. Jack Renio was one I knew and there were others. A cool guy named Pineapple was the table-bartender. Occasionally at night I would see some minor star from old TV shows. A lot of wealthy older guys would stop by for a drink. I met many people there. Once a fight broke out amongst the competitive 'hustlers'...I went for cover and hid from the bar stools being bounced around. That was a different era for sure.
Great stories! The Spotlight used to be on Vine?? When? Where?

Between the gentrification crowd, Disney Corp and the Scientologists, Hollywood's going the way of Times Sq.
We need dive bars.

http://www.losanjealous.com

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 28, 2012 at 3:22 AM. Reason: add title

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Hi UniHiKid, You've given me the excuse to post pix of Uni, pre and post the 1933 Long Beach quake, which cost Uni its lantern, tower, gable and portico.

fbcdn.net

wiki

P.S. The single-room classroom building in the springs area you mentioned is now the Kuruvungna Springs Museum.
And as for "lagoon (area) has held a lot of activities since", LOL, I know. I spent plenty of time raking used condoms, beer bottles and roach-ends out of the bushes.
(Trying to return even a little piece of LA to a pre-urban state is not the easiest thing one can attempt.)
well your work has paid off! when i was going there(97-01) the classroom was for advanced science.i had to do a report on the history about uni,i have one picture from the late 40s of the main building that ill post as soon as i find it.also while there i found some old pictures of the rotc with great views of the old aud(the company who tore it down went out of business a few months later).not many people know that the leadership room(rm 100) was a rifle range! anyways thanks again for making uni a great school!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

Los Angeles Times

Feb. 1970: Southern Pacific freight train passes P.J.’s on Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood on old tracks that once carried Pacific Electric Railway’s Red Cars.

Today:

Google Street View

No trains...no P.J.'s
for what its worth sam cooke was set to attend a party at P.J.s the night he was killed.He was at a small part at Martonis in Hollywood and met a Elisia Boyer,they were suppose to go to PJs but instead went down the then new harbor freeway and to a seedy motel where he was shot and killed...

photo www.gq.com

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n...m_cooke/3.html

No one but Cooke and Boyer could have known the nature of their plans that night as they left PJ's, but it wouldn't have been the first third-rate romance for either of them. Boyer had made the rounds with any number of men at Sunset Strip hot spots. And Cooke had a clear record of uncontrolled sexual drive that had left him with offspring scattered along the routes of his concert tours.

Cooke and Boyer drove some 17 miles south from Hollywood that night — a peculiar move for a man and woman looking for a bed. They could have stopped at any of a dozen different hotels in Hollywood or the countless motels they passed as he drove along the Harbor Freeway.

But Cooke clearly had a destination in mind — the Hacienda Motel, in gritty south-central Los Angeles.

It was as though he had been there before.

The Hacienda didn't get a lot of customers in red Ferraris. It was a $3-a-night dive on South Figueroa Street — the sort of place where the desk clerk kept a pistol handy.

"Everyone Welcome," read the sign out front. "Everyone" meant blacks.

photo performingsongwritter.com
Bertha Franklin

Bertha Franklin was working the overnight shift when Cooke's sports car zipped into the parking lot at 2:35 a.m. Franklin watched as a man with show-business good looks glided into the office. He was paying in cash when his companion walked into the office. Franklin pointed out that motel policy required them to register as husband and wife.

So he signed in: "Mr. and Mrs. Sam Cooke."

He was as famous as any black musician in the world. He had appeared on The Tonight Show and Ed Sullivan many times, and most Americans would know his name, if not his face. But Cooke apparently felt no compunction about using his real name at a hot-sheets motel.

He was unpretentious — and wasted

all photos performersongwritter.com ms boyer on the stand dec 16 1964, and sam leaving the motel

Last edited by unihikid; Nov 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM. Reason: pic

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:29 AM

ASC clubhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
There's a link in this prior post about the ASC building with more pictures...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6446
Silent screen star Conway Tearle (1878-1938) lived in the house in the 20's. Do you know who built it or the other residents before and after Tearle?

silentsaregolden

This next one's huge, but I couldn't resist the island girl's expression:

emovieposter.com

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:57 AM
Closed account

The infamous Spotlite....

Quote:
Great stories! The Spotlight used to be on Vine?? When? Where?

Between the gentrification crowd, Disney Corp and the Scientologists, Hollywood's going the way of Times Sq.
We need dive bars.

http://www.losanjealous.com
The original Spotlight was on Vine St. I drew a little arrow at the bottom of this photo. The sign is directly above on the left side of the street.
The bar was in the center of the room. You could walk around it. The floor was carpeted and the place had originally been rather upscale. Of course, as The Spotlight it was a different animal entirely.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:43 PM
Dallas, TX

Quote:
for what its worth sam cooke was set to attend a party at P.J.s the night he was killed.He was at a small part at Martonis in Hollywood and met a Elisia Boyer,they were suppose to go to PJs but instead went down the then new harbor freeway and to a seedy motel where he was shot and killed...

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n...m_cooke/3.html

No one but Cooke and Boyer could have known the nature of their plans that night as they left PJ's, but it wouldn't have been the first third-rate romance for either of them. Boyer had made the rounds with any number of men at Sunset Strip hot spots. And Cooke had a clear record of uncontrolled sexual drive that had left him with offspring scattered along the routes of his concert tours.

Cooke and Boyer drove some 17 miles south from Hollywood that night — a peculiar move for a man and woman looking for a bed. They could have stopped at any of a dozen different hotels in Hollywood or the countless motels they passed as he drove along the Harbor Freeway.

But Cooke clearly had a destination in mind — the Hacienda Motel, in gritty south-central Los Angeles.

It was as though he had been there before.

The Hacienda didn't get a lot of customers in red Ferraris. It was a $3-a-night dive on South Figueroa Street — the sort of place where the desk clerk kept a pistol handy.

"Everyone Welcome," read the sign out front. "Everyone" meant blacks.

Bertha Franklin was working the overnight shift when Cooke's sports car zipped into the parking lot at 2:35 a.m. Franklin watched as a man with show-business good looks glided into the office. He was paying in cash when his companion walked into the office. Franklin pointed out that motel policy required them to register as husband and wife.

So he signed in: "Mr. and Mrs. Sam Cooke."

He was as famous as any black musician in the world. He had appeared on The Tonight Show and Ed Sullivan many times, and most Americans would know his name, if not his face. But Cooke apparently felt no compunction about using his real name at a hot-sheets motel.

He was unpretentious — and wasted
Another very interesting story. So Boyer was a prostitute? Brings up lots of questions.

9137 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles was the site of the Hacienda Motel (supposedly now called the Star Motel). Couldn't find the motel with the Google mobile.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Silent screen star Conway Tearle (1878-1938) lived in the house in the 20's. Do you know who built it or the other residents before and after Tearle?

silentsaregolden

Balsam Hill Cabin

Before Tearle, James Henry Brown and later his son J. Creighton Brown lived in the house from 1910 at least into the '20s. Below is a bit from a section of the very interesting Brown family history here.

"In January, 1910 [Leoline] and James purchased a home at 164 North Orange Drive in Hollywood, California. On March 11, 1910, Leoline wrote in her diary:
'I went to bank in morning, bought new number for house making it 184.' This new address of 184 is confirmed in the 1910 census and letters. A letter dated July 1, 1912, marks the first reference of yet another new address of 1784 Orange Drive. Hollywood was a relatively new community, becoming a municipality in 1903 and annexed into Los Angeles in 1910. Consequently, it would not be unreasonable to see restructuring and renumbering of addresses in its early, formative years. In a July 4, 1912, letter Leoline writes: 'There is no further word about the name of this street but 1784 is on the door, and Orlando is at the corner of the street.' The reference to 'Orlando' is unknown. Orange Drive intersects with Franklin Blvd on the north end and Hollywood Blvd on the south end."

Orlando was the former name of at least parts of Orange Drive, such as we've seen in a recent post about Hollywood High School.

Leoline Brown, seen on the porch of 1784 above, died in Hollywood on December 18, 1916. The Browns' son Creighton and his wife Flora, who'd moved into the house at some point in the 1910s, stayed on until at least November 1922 (per newspaper references).

I'm not sure if Tearle was the only one in the house after the Browns, but the ASC was in residence by 1937:

Los Angeles Times March 7, 1937

The ASC seems to have been in the Guaranty Building--now home to the planet Xenu (or whatever it is):

Google Books

Here's that building in a prior post of ER's:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7444

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Nov 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:43 PM
Dallas, TX

We haven't touched on the mysterious case of Thomas Harper Ince yet.

Wikepedia

Ince was born November 6, 1882 and died under very mysterious circumstances on November 19, 1924. Ince was known as the father of the Western and was involved with the Hollywood studio system.

Ruby's musings
The Oneida (Whatever became of the yacht?)

The circumstances of his death was a Hollywood sensation. He was invited aboard William Randolph Hearst's lavish 280-foot yacht, the Oneida (the nickname given to the Oneida shortly afterward: "William Randolph's Hearse.") to celebrate his 42nd birthday. Among Hearst's guests that weekend were his mistress Marion Davies, film star Charlie Chaplin, newspaper columnist Louella Parsons, author Elinor Glyn, film actresses Aileen Pringle, Jacqueline Logan, Seena Owen, Margaret Livingston (supposedly Ince's mistress), Julanne Johnston, actor, choreographer and ballet dancer Theodore Kosloff and Dr. Daniel Carson Goodman, Hearst's film production manager (there were at least 15 guests on board).

Wikepedia
Davies welcoming Ince aboard the Oneida. (Pretty creepy picture when you think about what is going to happen in a few hours).

At dinner on Sunday night the group celebrated Ince's birthday. Shortly thereafter he fell ill. There was liquor on board, Ince did admit to drinking even though he had a heart condition and his doctor recommended he not drink. This was during prohibition, imagine Hearst being busted for having liquor on board his yacht. Ince was taken ashore in San Diego, accompanied by Dr. Goodman, who was still a licensed, though non-practicing physician. He was then put on a train bound for Los Angeles. While en route Ince's condition worsened. At Del Mar, he was taken from the train, and then to a hotel where he was treated by Dr. T. A. Parker and nurse Jessie Howard. Later he was taken to his home at 1051 Benedict Canyon, Beverly Hills where he died the next day, Wednesday, November 19, from some sort of heart ailment. Sounds plausible so far, but...this is Noirish L.A.

The front page of the Wednesday morning Los Angeles Times, had another story: '"Movie Producer Shot on Hearst Yacht!," headlines that mysteriously vanished in the evening edition. I would love to read the morning edition!

The story goes that Hearst thought Davies was having an affair with Chaplin. In order to keep tabs on them he invited them aboard the yacht. He found them in bed and had a gun. Hearst was known to carry a diamond-studded revolver on the boat, with which he delighted in shooting seagulls. Davies screams awakened Ince, who came running, and was shot by a bullet intended for Chaplin. (There are several other versions of the tale, most involving Hearst mistaking him for the much smaller Chaplin). There were witnesses on board the yacht, including Charlie Chaplin’s secretary Toraichi Kono, who saw the bullet hole in Ince’s head when he was carried off the Oneida.

It was rumored that Hearst provided Nell Ince (Thomas' wife) with a trust fund before she left for Europe. She refused an autopsy and ordered her husband's immediate cremation. Rumor also has it that Hearst paid off Ince's mortgage on his Château Élysée apartment building in Hollywood. Louella Parsons was rewarded with a lifetime contract with the Hearst corporation.

Wikepedia

At the Culver City studios Ince founded in 1918, several reports have surfaced about Ince's ghost having been seen on the premises. The first to encounter him were two workmen who looked up to see a man in an odd, bowler-type hat watching them from the catwalks above Stage 1-2-3. The workmen spoke to the man, he frowned and then turned and walked into the second floor wall. In 1988, a workman doing renovations was reportedly confronted by an apparition that angrily stated, "I don't like what you're doing to my studio!" before vanishing into the wall. The description of the ghost appeared to fit that of Thomas Ince.

The Culver Studios
Culver Studios 1920.

Here are some additional links.
Give Louella an Ince and she'll take a column
William Randolph's Hearse

Here is an example of a small world: at the end of 1912 Ince hired William Desmond Taylor to act in his film Counterfeiters (1914). Taylor was murdered in 1922.

Last edited by rcarlton; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
Another very interesting story. So Boyer was a prostitute? Brings up lots of questions.

9137 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles was the site of the Hacienda Motel (supposedly now called the Star Motel). Couldn't find the motel with the Google mobile.
the starwood/hacienda is long gone,i drove by it in 01 when it was about to be torn down.and his death has always made me wonder,the article also mentions the connection with bobby fuller...i guess bob keene didnt have the best of luck,he had ritchie valenes signed to his lable after the siames family kicked him out of keen records.

original photo from ebony magazine feb 1965,but now being credited to performingsongwritter.com

Last edited by unihikid; Nov 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM. Reason: pic

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
the starwood/hacienda is long gone,i drove by it in 01 when it was about to be torn down.and his death has always made me wonder,the article also mentions the connection with bobby fuller...i guess bob keene didnt have the best of luck,he had ritchie valenes signed to his lable after the siames family kicked him out of keen records.
There's still a motel at the corner of Figueroa & 92nd, called the Polaris Motel. Several references online state that this is at 9137 S. Figueroa and is the former Hacienda, but I could find no good photos or phone book listing to confirm, and Google Street View is not clear enough to tell, either.

Check it out.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:09 PM

Ince and Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
We haven't touched on the mysterious case of Thomas Harper Ince yet.

Wikepedia
Davies welcoming Ince aboard the Oneida
Ince founded Triangle Studios (named for the shape of the lot) in 1916 before he set up Culver Studios. Triangle was taken over by Goldwyn in 1918 & then MGM in 1924. It was Ince who built the famous original main gate at the studio and the Washington Row building.

I always really liked Marion Davies. Her rep was severely tarnished by the public's confusion between her and the Susan Alexander character in "Citizen Kane" (1941), which Orson Wells for ever after regretted.

The real Marion:

She's buried under her original name in Hollywood Forever Cemetery on the shore of the lake. Entombed with her are her and Hearst's daughter Patricia (1923-1993), Patricia's husband, Arthur Lake, Marion's husband, Horace Brown and others.

flicker

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 25, 2015 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:13 PM

The Ebony Showcase Theatre

Larry Harnisch has a short piece about this venue and its tragic story on his blog:

http://ladailymirror.com/2012/11/28/...ter/#more-9710

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:40 PM
Closed account

Hearst Yacht Oneida

The yacht owned by Hearst ~ The Oneida was 280 feet in length and had a crew of ten.

This yacht was the scene of the infamous weekend party that included the mysterious illness of movie director Tom Ince. He later died under equally mysterious circumstances.

Here is some of the story:
http://ruby-rubymusings.blogspot.com...ugh-walls.html

Last edited by DouglasUrantia; Nov 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:43 PM

?/Brown/Tearle/ASC House

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Balsam Hill Cabin

Before Tearle, James Henry Brown and later his son J. Creighton Brown lived in the house from 1910 at least into the '20s. Below is a bit from a section of the very interesting Brown family history here.

Leoline Brown, seen on the porch of 1784 above, died in Hollywood on December 18, 1916.

I'm not sure if Tearle was the only one in the house after the Browns, but the ASC was in residence by 1937:
Thank you again so much GW for the exhaustive and informative research. I'm still left wondering who built the house. Hollywood (actually all of LA) certainly had that Spanish-Moorish style going, of which this house is a prime example.

There's a very evocative sentence in the Brown family history:
"It has been said that Leoline sequestered herself in the cupola of the Orange Drive house to protect her daughters and others from contracting tuberculosis." The cupola room, according to the ASC, has eleven windows and a door to the roof.

Makes me want to go there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos