HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Are you sure? I don't know if it is the fire hall for sure but I do remember a sign. I don't believe it was JUST the one on the existing fire hall. I'd hate to think that's how my mind works.
The second pic is the fire hall, the first pic (one with the boat in the background) is the new town hall. I'm pretty sure of that one.....

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 5:52 PM

Looks Like Virginia Plaza is going to be apartments instead of condos now.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...54951&latest=1

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 3:15 PM

This week's council meeting agenda contains a copy of city's 2015-18 strategic plan. I haven't got a chance to read through it yet; have a look-see:

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202015.pdf

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 6:56 PM

The Strategic Plan (begins on page 40) is remarkable for its decorative use of word clouds that are not word clouds. I learned that we need to keep a check on Culture and Values while thinking about Action and Strategy. Also, Direction.

In the agenda, there is also a report from the Advisory Committee Review (begins on page 29). It's a bit dense, but worth looking over if you've ever wondered to what purpose advisory committees serve the Council. It recommends the development of six advisory committees (older adults, youth, inclusion and accessibility, environmental, downtown, arts culture and heritage), two expert panels (built heritage, animal control), two working groups (housing, paratransit), and one task force (crime).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 7:02 PM

I skimmed over the Strategic Plan and it just seems like a lot of “motherhood and apple pie” without any specifics. While I understand that such plans are often guidelines for how to move forward I would at least expect a few more concrete statements on what we can expect on the next three years. I dear say that council will be patting itself on the back during today’s meeting about this great vision for the future.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 7:16 PM

There is a public meeting coming up this week regarding amendments to the development regulations with respect to parking lot size. I doubt if it will spark as much interest as a condo in the battery however it could be interesting. What I find interesting is that it could loosen restrictions on the size of surface parking lots depending on the use of the building. For instance, a theater or arena could apply for a large parking lot due to the fact that its use may involve hundreds or thousands of patrons.
To me it would seem more prudent to maintain some lot size restrictions and force better use of space by means of multi-level parking but that’s not what developers want because it is easier to bulldoze acres of trees (or whatever) and lay blacktop than it is to be creative.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I skimmed over the Strategic Plan and it just seems like a lot of “motherhood and apple pie” without any specifics. While I understand that such plans are often guidelines for how to move forward I would at least expect a few more concrete statements on what we can expect on the next three years. I dear say that council will be patting itself on the back during today’s meeting about this great vision for the future.
Yeah, really! The document has lots of bells and whistles, glitz and glamour and the like. But in terms of substance, not so much. Maybe I lack the understanding of strategic planning, but I kind of wish it would be a bit more direct and concrete.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 1:12 AM

The Strategic Plan is almost comically devoid of anything tangible, but it does a great job of tooting Council's horn. Meanwhile, actual change in development is nowhere to be found. City Hall still approves or rejects proposals on a case-by-case basis based on God knows what, pays lip service to sustainability, and kicks regulatory change down the road to the next plan, document, or Council. We're still waiting on the development regulations which will enact the new Municipal Plan, currently being written with no public input.

We really need a movement pushing urban issues in this city. The most concerted effort I've seen from Council since I began paying attention to municipal politics has been in response to the outrage over snow clearing last year (I think it even got it's own section in the strategic plan!). We need the same kind of passion demanding inclusion in the process and actual innovation in planning.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 1:37 PM

The St. John's Farmers Market has started an online fundraiser for the move to the old Metro bus location. https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/8zsa5/ab/e4q956

The market needs to raise $100,000 towards the renovations. Along with funds the city will come up with. The plan is to renovate and be in for the 2017 market season.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 2:18 PM

Wish there were more photos of the design.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 8:59 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Do people think this will work out? While it seems like a good idea, the location is isolated from other retail (a factor usually considered important), and probably will be a money loser.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Do people think this will work out? While it seems like a good idea, the location is isolated from other retail (a factor usually considered important), and probably will be a money loser.
I was thinking about that location too. A new facility downtown would be nice but I think this could work. It's in a central location and closer to many of the denser neighbourhoods so people could walk there. As well there's lots of parking for those who drive.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 10:50 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Sometimes it's ok for things to be non financially viable, if they are of great value and service to the overall community. That's what taxes are generally used for. However, this type of market will probably be busy only on weekends when people have time to drive there, but there is nothing else in the area to draw people, and it's mostly low density. Imagine the prospect of wanting to go window shopping or for a drink in the area after or during your shopping . . . where, at the taxation centre?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 12:30 AM

I agree. It's pretty centrally located and has parking so I think this should do OK.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I agree. It's pretty centrally located and has parking so I think this should do OK.
It's only about 1 km from the current location. As others have stated it's central, close to denser areas and there is plenty of parking in the area. It's within walking distance of the university area and isn't very far from the Avalon Mall. Downtown would be nice, but I think this is a great location.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Jun 8, 2015 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 6:03 PM

While I am in favour of a new Farmer’s Market my preferred choice would have been downtown (disclaimer, I don’t live anywhere near DT). It would be nice to have something that operates year round, something along the lines of a mini Laurence Market.
What I am NOT in favor of is the City putting $2 - $3 million into renovating the old Metrobus depot. Let them have it for $1, where is as is, but that’s as far as it should go

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 1:17 AM

I don't think it will end up a bad deal for the city. They'll put money in, yes, but so will the province, the market organization, and whatever other funding sources they come up with, while all improvements will be city property in the end.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ Sometimes it's ok for things to be non financially viable, if they are of great value and service to the overall community. That's what taxes are generally used for. However, this type of market will probably be busy only on weekends when people have time to drive there, but there is nothing else in the area to draw people, and it's mostly low density. Imagine the prospect of wanting to go window shopping or for a drink in the area after or during your shopping . . . where, at the taxation centre?
Hahahaha good point. The taxation centre doesn't even have their own cafeteria anymore.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 2:33 PM

While not a 'St. John's project', thought you might like to see some photos from today's presser at the Hebron Site. Most of these are from Danielle Barron at VOCM

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 5:28 PM

It looks as if the City plans to keep the construction industry going for the next ten years based on the proposed list of projects they tabled last night. ( http://www.stjohns.ca/media-release/...r-capital-plan )
While most of it appears to be simply keeping up with infrastructure needs, especially water and sewer, there are a few items that jump out.
There is $30M allocated for “Canada Games Projects” and another $20M for an “Arts Centre”. Then there is $45M for a Satellite Public Works Depot, $10M for City Hall Extension, plus another $42M for a “Recreation Facility” (doesn’t say where). Adding and upgrading fire stations is pegged at $23.2M. Of note is $6.5 for a new fire station for Glencrest/Galway.
There is tons of money for new roads as well, including $46M for what is described as “Kenmount Rd 190m Internal Road Network”.
It is nice to see that City Hall is doing some long range planning but it scares the bejeezes out of me in terms of what it is going to mean to my taxes. Money is certainly no object to those in the “bunker”. Granted, most , if not all, of these projects will be cost shared in some way by the other two levels of Government but it is still a pretty expensive wish list. It will be interesting to see if any future councillors (or Mayor) campaign on what is in this list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's