HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I have searched the Province's site to see if there have been any tenders called for this year however I couldn't find anything. That doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't already taken care of.

In another week it will be May and there is no reason work can't be started on something related to the TGH. Finish the overpasses, work on the access ramps, something...ANYTHING...just "get 'er done"
The PCs are totally inept at looking after anything to do with transportation.
It's bloody ridiculous!

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:32 PM

Bad news / good news story?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...gain-1.3064553

More delays on the TGH but it appears we may be able to get as far as Captain Whalen Drive by Christmas...unless the Liberals are going to reverse that decision too. Slooooow but steady.

To the fine people of Mount Pearl...your section may come eventually.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:54 PM

I believe there's some inaccuracies in the CBC report. Their map shows the Collector Road to be paved this year, but there's only a short portion of that with a roadbed completed so lots of work there before any paving and it was always mentioned as a 'proposed' road. The Cowan Heights access shown also needs some basic roadbed work - the on/off ramp just ends before Blackmarsh Rd about 5 metres in the air. There's also a round-about going there but we have no details on that.

If what happened with the Torbay Bypass, CBS Bypass, etc continues they'll not have the guard-rails done on time to open the road this year.

So, I expect the Minister might be technically right that 'some' pavement will be done this year, but none of the road will be opened this year.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I believe there's some inaccuracies in the CBC report. Their map shows the Collector Road to be paved this year, but there's only a short portion of that with a roadbed completed so lots of work there before any paving and it was always mentioned as a 'proposed' road. The Cowan Heights access shown also needs some basic roadbed work - the on/off ramp just ends before Blackmarsh Rd about 5 metres in the air. There's also a round-about going there but we have no details on that.

If what happened with the Torbay Bypass, CBS Bypass, etc continues they'll not have the guard-rails done on time to open the road this year.

So, I expect the Minister might be technically right that 'some' pavement will be done this year, but none of the road will be opened this year.
You are correct. There is still a lot of work left to be done on the bypass road. https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.55041.../data=!3m1!1e3

There is no way any section of this will be open this year, we are already more than 25% into 2015. How much extra is being spend just by dragging this on? This section should have been done years ago. I'm predicting 2020 by the time it makes it to Blackmarsh.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:58 PM

I travel what there is of the TGH every day and I made a point yesterday of noting the dates on the bridges. The bridge over Goldstone St. was dated 2002!! Kenmount Rd (southbound) was 2005!! Thirteen years and counting for 5 or 6 km of road. They may not even finish it by 2020.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I travel what there is of the TGH every day and I made a point yesterday of noting the dates on the bridges. The bridge over Goldstone St. was dated 2002!! Kenmount Rd (southbound) was 2005!! Thirteen years and counting for 5 or 6 km of road. They may not even finish it by 2020.
Wow, and I wonder how long those bridges were there before the road actually opened.

Maybe someone is waiting for Team Gushue to win a Brier before they complete it.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Wow, and I wonder how long those bridges were there before the road actually opened.

Maybe someone is waiting for Team Gushue to win a Brier before they complete it.
I made that joke a while back One brier brings the highway to Topsail and a third major win completes the highway

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 4:38 PM

They've relocated the power and utility lines at the underpass construction site at Blackmarsh Rd / TGH perhaps they'll actually do something there this year now that this impediment is removed. The City is pressing the Province to do something with that big hole ASAP.

update: Gov't has issued a tender for underpass at Blackmarsh Rd / TGH, closing June 9th. So, if the other recent three underpasses are anything to go on, this one should be complete in summer 2017

Last edited by rthomasd; May 25, 2015 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 7:13 PM
Editor

Hey guys does anyone know the cheapest way to get from St John's to Maine, or to Boston? Are there direct flights to the U.S. from St John's?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:02 AM

United has a daily flight to/from St. John's and Newark NJ. If you can get to Halifax, there's flights to Boston from there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:02 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
United has a daily flight to/from St. John's and Newark NJ. If you can get to Halifax, there's flights to Boston from there.
Thanks! I was thinking of visiting a friend in Boston while down in Newfoundland, but did some searching around for flights, and strangely enough it's cheaper to go to Boston from Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Thanks! I was thinking of visiting a friend in Boston while down in Newfoundland, but did some searching around for flights, and strangely enough it's cheaper to go to Boston from Calgary.
Unfortunately it's not strange at all.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Unfortunately it's not strange at all.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 12:49 AM

Birds eye view of the some of the runway expansion work on going @ YYT posted by the airport authority last week.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 12:47 PM

I was at the airport yesterday and noticed that the steel is starting to be erected on the east expansion to the terminal building. Dump trucks seem to be coming and going ever 5 minutes from the airfield. Looks like its full steam ahead for the overall expansion project.
Also directly across from the new Holiday Inn Express on World Parkway, there seems to be some heavy equipment clearing some land. Looks like materials laid around to install water and sewer. Not sure if there is anything planned to be built there or not.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
I was at the airport yesterday and noticed that the steel is starting to be erected on the east expansion to the terminal building. Dump trucks seem to be coming and going ever 5 minutes from the airfield. Looks like its full steam ahead for the overall expansion project.
Also directly across from the new Holiday Inn Express on World Parkway, there seems to be some heavy equipment clearing some land. Looks like materials laid around to install water and sewer. Not sure if there is anything planned to be built there or not.
I flew out last week and noticed the same thing. I can't wait until renovations are completed at the gate area, that place has less than nothing in it...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 6:08 PM

Anyone know if there has been any progress with the TGH over the summer?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 11:54 PM

I've been checking off/on and here's what I see -

The over/under passes at Old Pennywell and Collector Rd are finished (tendered in Spring 2013), save for some cosmetics, although the road bypass at Old Pennywell Rd is still in place and they have to build up the ramps to the overpass. There's no sign of any work there these days.

There was some brush cutting at Empire/Blackmarsh/Redmonds Rd presumably getting ready for a round-about.

Blackmarsh Rd underpass area has seen some water-management work, a concrete water flow thingie was just finished this week. No sign of any underpass footings or any other work.

Topsail Rd has a first layer of asphalt at the off-ramp and the Road along the side of SobeysMall.

I believe the Minister said there'd be no major work done this year, so it's really a road-to-nowhere.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 11:05 AM

Too bad. I wonder how much extra this project is going to cost by dragging it out so long.

I know there will be a roundabout going at the intersection of Empire/Captain Whelan/Blackmarsh/Redmonds Road, that will serve as an access for the new highway.

I'm predicting 2025 by the time it is complete. Hopefully it will be done to Topsail Road in the next couple of years.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 11:55 AM

With the three interchanges (Old Pennywell / Collector / Redman’s) virtually complete in terms of structures, it seems as if the hard work is done and all that is needed now is some “dirt moving” and final roadbed and paving. I don’t know a lot about heavy civil construction but to a layman this would seem to be just a matter of mobilizing the troops…if there were any to mobilize. Seems very much like a financial thing with the government not in a position to release any funds. This should be a major election issue for November!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's