HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 8:04 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 8:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Little more info from planning documents...

The upper levels and deck...

The other three sites to be rezoned along with the 1 Vanderbilt site ahead of the Midtown East rezoning...(383 isn't going anywhere)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 8:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

And to think the ESB is 1,454 ft to the pinnacle. Thats the height we are dealing with essentially. Very impressive.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 8:56 PM

The observation deck will probably be higher than 1WTC's...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 9:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
And to think the ESB is 1,454 ft to the pinnacle. Thats the height we are dealing with essentially. Very impressive.
I think the building basically mirrors the ESB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
The observation deck will probably be higher than 1WTC's...
Depends on how high up in the tower it is. It's still something that needs work. It will double as an observation deck and public event space. It has to be a space that will work as both, though not at the same time. So they will have to work that out in a practical design for both. The deck at the Hudson Yards will also have multiple spaces at the top.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 10:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Midtown still needs the complete rezoning...

http://www.rew-online.com/2014/06/17...t-for-midtown/

Cloudy forecast for Midtown

June 17, 2014

Quote:
Amid delayed and piecemeal rezoning, the city’s largest developers and brokers are growing increasingly pessimistic about Midtown East.

“My prediction is that Midtown will use some large tenants in the foreseeable future,” Dennis Friedrich, CEO of Brookfield Office Properties, said at Crain’s Real Estate Conference on Tuesday.

“If you look at pockets in Midtown East, particularly those further away from Grand Central, there’s a compelling reason for users to look at Hudson Yards or Downtown,” Friedrich said. He repeated the common argument that these emerging neighborhoods offer newer, better buildings for less – or at least not much more – rent.

A sweeping rezoning of Midtown East has been delayed amid fears over inadequate transportation infrastructure, but the city recently announced plans to rezone a stretch of Vanderbilt Avenue that would allow SL Green to build its planned office tower 1 Vanderbilt.

On Tuesday, SL Green’s chief investment officer Isaac Zion was the sole, steadfast defender of Midtown in a discussion round packed with downtown enthusiasts Marty Burger, Dennis Friedrich and Tara Stacom.

“Listen, I don’t think anything has the access and amenities that Grand Central Terminal has. It’s the perfect building for any high-end user going forward,” Zion said, speaking of SL Green’s planned, Grand Central-adjacent tower 1 Vanderbilt. The 1.8-million s/f tower, which will be made possible thanks to a proposed rezoning of a stretch of Vanderbilt Avenue, could be anchored by TD Bank – talks are reportedly underway.

“It’s the best development site in the world, in my opinion,” Zion said, adding that the response from prospective tenants has been “huge”.

Although the other panelists didn’t dare question 1 Vanderbilt, they seemed to agree that the more remote stretches of Midtown East are losing out to a surging downtown and far west side.

“Midtown East at some point will have to reinvent itself – like some other corridors have – to stay competitive,” said Brookfield’s Friedrich.

Tara Stacom, an Executive Vice Chairman at brokerage Cushman & Wakefield who handles leasing at One World Trade Center, argued that Downtown is now the most attractive office destination for many employees due to its proximity to residential neighborhoods in Brooklyn and New Jersey.

“It depends on the user. If you have a young employee base, I would suggest downtown is the location where they want to be,” she said, adding that older employees with a higher income might still prefer Midtown.

Marty Burger, CEO of Silverstein Properties, said the company is seeing “increasing activity” at the World Trade Center site and will soon announce new tenants at its 2.5-million-s/f tower 4 World Trade Center.

Burger also once again made the case for 3 World Trade Center, a planned office tower has struggled to get financing and recently failed in a controversial bid to secure a $1.2-billion loan guarantee from the Port Authority.

He argued that new, efficient towers like 3 World Trade Center are necessary to keep global firms in the city. “New York has to compete with the rest of the world,” he said.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
If it is a height jump it makes sense! As others have noted, the top looked a little scrunched before. If they increase the overall height of the building (or the top) it would smooth the wrinkle out. Great news, that would be the second tallest in the city!

This just made me twice as excited It looks so much more proportional then before. It was way too fat at the base previously

also, does the spire stick down on one vanderbilt?????????

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:26 PM
Mr. Technology

That's great news, NYguy!
Direct access to Grand Central Terminal is going to be an awesome way to compete with the West Side and Downtown while commanding sky-high rents!

The skyline will definitely improve for sure!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 1:32 AM

A 10 minute Photoshop hatchet job I did showing what this may look at on the skyline:

(Original Photo Credit: Jose Tutiven)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 1:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Yea I could definitely see the ESB resemblance. I do wish the crown/top portion was better designed. It just seems off. A crown like we see on the Jin Mao would look great. Or even something similar to the Bank Of America Plaza in Atlanta. Hopefully, the top will get some sort of redesign because IMO, while everything is great, the top portion of the tower looks a little strange.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:05 AM
Mr. Technology

The proximity to the Empire State Building is just awesome in itself!
The height is going to be a game changer for sure!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
That's great news, NYguy!
Direct access to Grand Central Terminal is going to be an awesome way to compete with the West Side and Downtown while commanding sky-high rents!
This could be one of my favorite skyscrapers going up in Manhattan on location alone. I love the idea of density around the transit centers. If only Vornado would take 15 Penn Plaza
off the shelf. That tower was closer to getting built than any of the large new office towers - Downtown or Midtown.

And I always give extra support for observation decks... I can look forward to the day when I can get up there and admire the Chrysler crown from a new perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I do wish the crown/top portion was better designed. It just seems off. A crown like we see on the Jin Mao would look great.
The spire itself needs more height. An extra hundred foot or so would give it the extra something on the skyline, like the proportions of the ESB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
A 10 minute Photoshop hatchet job I did showing what this may look at on the skyline:
Now, I would like to see you do the same with this photo (it would appear between ESB and Chrysler), but include as many of the others as you can...

Jose Tutiven

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:22 AM
Mr. Technology

You know what I just realized here?

57th Street -and- 42nd Street are both going to command Midtown in a way we've only dreamed of!

These impressive towers are seriously going to transform Manhattan!

I have a few Manhattan skyscraper photo books in my collection and would definitely be adding more as the island grows!

1 Vanderbilt is going to compliment the Chrysler Building and Metlife!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Now, I would like to see you do the same with this photo (it would appear between ESB and Chrysler), but include as many of the others as you can...
Will try soon - tougher angle though!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:09 PM
BANNED

If they grow the height of the spire , it can easily break the 1650ft mark.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc15 View Post
If they grow the height of the spire , it can easily break the 1650ft mark.
They could, but the proportions would be wrong. I think about 200 ft is the most they can go with this particular design to have it work. That would make the tower about 1,550 ft. But for now, they've revealed that smaller version. The design is still being finalized, so we're still not sure exactly how it will end up.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They could, but the proportions would be wrong. I think about 200 ft is the most they can go with this particular design to have it work. That would make the tower about 1,550 ft. But for now, they've revealed that smaller version. The design is still being finalized, so we're still not sure exactly how it will end up.

]

You're saying the design isn't finalized, yet every rendering has been a progression in detail on the same idiotic sketch that looks like a doodle made by some distracted office grunt with his non-dominant hand. I feel like its gotta be a prank, but the "just kidding" moment by KPF hasn't come yet, and doesn't seem to be coming. What a terrible disappointment

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
You're saying the design isn't finalized, yet every rendering has been a progression in detail on the same idiotic sketch that looks like a doodle made by some distracted office grunt with his non-dominant hand. I feel like its gotta be a prank, but the "just kidding" moment by KPF hasn't come yet, and doesn't seem to be coming. What a terrible disappointment
Read below, the design hasn't been finalized as of yet, though we get the general idea. The spire could grow, the entire top of the building could be reworked. The general idea is that the tapered tower would rise to about 1,350 ft with a spire above. The rendering is where they are, but its a work in progress.

Neither the renderings nor the sketches are refined enough to tell us what the top will truly look like. More refined details will give us that. One thing to note about the design process here also is that there will be no design approval under de Blasio's plan, unlike Bloomberg's.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 10:39 PM

Thumbs up Love it!

This has got to be one of the best proposals for NYC in a long time in my opinion. Very modern & elegant; also simple, but powerful & strong-looking in the same respect. I hope it gets built!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 10:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
This has got to be one of the best proposals for NYC in a long time in my opinion. Very modern & elegant; also simple, but powerful & strong-looking in the same respect. I hope it gets built!
It seems on certain path to getting built. Even if TD Bank doesn't sign the lease, the city is pushing for this to get built, and in this prime location, someone will take it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive