HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
One regular to this page implied over a yr or more ago that new devlpt in this part of the US was somehow more deserving of criticism compared with what's going up in his section of the country. So I made a quick jaunt to his city, by way of google street view, & in a nano second started seeing a few surprisingly tacky newer bldgs. Many months after that, I visited the city compilations thread of that same city & was actually shocked at how at least one or two of its major newer highrise apt towers could be described as ugly. New devlpt in a city, btw, that is often given a big pat on the back by lots of urbanistas & hipsters.
You're a pill. You made 'a little jaunt'. Huh? What you did is went on google and looked for a couple of poorly designed bldgs in a city up north so you could complain that other cities are not worthy of the positive vibes they get. And apparently, you are so starved for attention that you bring this issue up every time you are under attack in an effort to deflect criticism. Maybe if you spent less time trying to manipulate people and more time being constructive and honest in your posting, more people would interact with you. As for me, I am done.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:26 AM

Photos taken by me. You're welcome.

Megatoys in AD

Lovely 1SF. I brought my friends to AD and they loved this building.

Courthouse

Last edited by kelbeen; Yesterday at 5:29 AM. Reason: fix image

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:28 PM

The sale of EVOQ Properties to a bunch of investors just completed. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...279417202.html Hopefully this means some new projects in the pipeline - with huge debts from the collapse of Meruelo Maddux, EVOQ was reportedly short of cash to invest. http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/w...a4bcf887a.html http://www.globest.com/news/12_968/l...ds-351549.html.

Meanwhile, some real estate folks in LA are talking up their big multifamily pipeline. http://www.globest.com/news/12_968/n...nt-351545.html http://www.globest.com/news/12_968/n...nt-351503.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:47 PM

I keep hearing on the Kia downtown commercials that they are trying to clear the lot for new construction?! Does anyone know if there is anything planned on that site??

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Long Awaited Tender Greens Officially Opens Downtown LA Location (Dinner Served)

http://brighamyen.com/

I've seen this sort of rail setup at some other places around downtown (I'm thinking the new entrance to The Gorbals specifically) -- what's the purpose? There's not enough room for tables behind it. Is it so smokers have a place to stand? It's basically just stealing sidewalk space without using it for anything --I don't get it.

(Although, upon second glance, maybe there is enough room for some tiny tables? Hard to tell with the wide angle shot.)

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:13 PM

For this one specifically, its a walk up to a "to go" window for pedestrians.

BTW, as i was walking by the Medallion yesterday and looking at the other three corners, as well as up beautiful 4th street and down main street, its really obvious that the ball was dropped big time on this project. The corner retail space should have been open to the street with large windows and set up for a large destination restaurant. Instead, we have a gym and a bunch of tacky, plastic signs draped all over the place.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
BTW, as i was walking by the Medallion yesterday and looking at the other three corners, as well as up beautiful 4th street and down main street, its really obvious that the ball was dropped big time on this project. The corner retail space should have been open to the street with large windows and set up for a large destination restaurant. Instead, we have a gym and a bunch of tacky, plastic signs draped all over the place.
I live around there and you're definitely right. It's such an odd design. Relatedly, I pray for the day they open up the restaurant on the northwest corner as a real restaurant and not just a filming location.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post
I live around there and you're definitely right. It's such an odd design. Relatedly, I pray for the day they open up the restaurant on the northwest corner as a real restaurant and not just a filming location.
IIRC, originally the very small spaces were supposed to be low end retail stalls. Not a brilliant idea to begin with. He's talked about bringing other kinds of stuff in within the last year but nothing seems to have materialized. The whole design is flawed if you've ever walked into the interior courtyard. Who would ever have an internally facing business? The design of the retail component seems fundamentally flawed. His phase 2, if it ever happens SHOULD transform that whole section of Main, but I'm not holding my breath, based on what he's done with most of phase 1.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:00 PM
Hazy

Medallion was a nice gathering place for Artwalk. It's only redeeming quality as it looks like a medical office in Puente Hills.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
but it helps to place what's going on in dt in the fullest context possible. So consider how much of south pk still is a jumble of parking lots & dilapidated warehouse type bldgs....& that type of setting extends far beyond just that one section of dt. iow, there are lots & lots of spaces throughout the hood, & beyond the fwys of dt, that need to be filled in & fixed up. There's no shortage of areas in dt that continue to greatly....even desperately....need TLC. The very deeply embedded grittiness, or even poverty, in the heart of LA is one reason why I think that our dt, unlike the cores of NYC or SF, will never run the risk of becoming overly gentrified.

that's why it also helps to place things in the context of what's going on in other cities. for one thing, the amt of new highrise devlpt even in nimbyized SF is amazing. There's an unspoken competition for which city is growing & changing, at least in a good way, the fastest on the west coast or all over the US. So LA....or in terms of dtla....is barely out of the starting gate & has a lot of catching up to do.

It seems like it was just a few months ago that the highrise condo tower that's 2nd to the left in this pic, & originally described as the tallest residential bldg in Calif, was standing all by itself in one section of SF. omg! where did the even taller bldg shown to its left come from!?

Look at all the new devlpt....all the cranes....in a city that LA has traditionally been compared with....negatively. Is the architecture there all that different from, or any better than, what's proposed for the land across from the convention ctr? I don't know....SF is starting to remind me of vancouver south. While it doesn't have twin towers, it does have new highrises that are obviously knock offs of one another....or owned by the same devlpr.

simms3_redux

It bothers me that wilshire grand really could have been truly the tallest new bldg in the western US, taller than what I believe is now under construction in SF. But due to a lack of demand for office space in dtla, it had to turn to the use of a purely decorative mast at its top to achieve that claim. I also thought that with WG & the metropolis proj under way, along with the onni tower, that dtla was really booming in terms of highrise construction. Now after looking at pics of SF, I have to tell myself: wait a minute....hold the praise.

Last I checked, there were about 6,000 housing units uc in San Francisco. LA has roughly that many uc just in the downtown area. Given the circumstances, I'd say LA is doing fine construction wise.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Medallion was a nice gathering place for Artwalk. It's only redeeming quality as it looks like a medical office in Puente Hills.
Yeah, it was a great use of that space. Too bad they didn't keep those spaces as studios.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Not to make this an LA vs SF thread, but they have a lot of crap going up there as well, design wise. Lots of 4 - 6 story garbage so were not alone. They have a very impressive highrise boom going on, but we will be in the same boat very shortly with Metropolis, Fig Central, 1200 Fig, Onni, Wilshire grand etc... in about 6 months, we might 12 or so highrises going up within a 5 block radius

Old Posted Today, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post
I've seen this sort of rail setup at some other places around downtown (I'm thinking the new entrance to The Gorbals specifically) -- what's the purpose? There's not enough room for tables behind it. Is it so smokers have a place to stand? It's basically just stealing sidewalk space without using it for anything --I don't get it.

(Although, upon second glance, maybe there is enough room for some tiny tables? Hard to tell with the wide angle shot.)
I noticed that too........if you look, that fencing arrangement looks like it goes all the way up the street. Could it be a city requirement?

Then there is this pick up window............is to force people to stand in line behind the fence so they don't interfere with the pedestrians on the rest of the sidewalk?

Old Posted Today, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Not to sound too stupid......but why is looking like a Puente Hills medical office a redeeming quality?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations