HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:16 PM

I work for a large consulting firm in Manhattan and I've only known one partner who lives on Long Island in the time I've worked there. It seems like NJ is the most popular location, followed by Westchester/CT and then Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 9:59 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
The nicest neighborhoods in Boulder, by a pretty long shot, are the ones along the western edge of town. The upper part of Uni-Hill (Chautauqua area, uphill from the college party scene); and then moreso north of Pearl Street - Mapleton Hill has always been nice, and the Newlands neighborhood by North Boulder Park is currently seeing the highest-end home flips in town. Wonderland Lake all the way through the new-urbanist North Boulder (Holiday drive-in redevelopment area) is very nice as well. Increasingly these days the Whittier neighborhood north of East Pearl St. is becoming a very nice area.
Uni Hill and Chautauqua are in the direction of Denver. West of Broadway, but that doesn't matter much. Anyway, it's not just the value of single family houses that makes a favored quarter, but also the direction of economic development in general. Broomfield versus Gunbarrel matters as much as Mapleton vs Table Mesa.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:56 PM

Vancouver is pretty much the city west of Cambie St.

There's also the wealthy suburb of West Vancouver northwest of downtown. The downtown peninsula is in between West Van and the affluent west side neighborhoods, so that is a pretty big contiguous area.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I work for a large consulting firm in Manhattan and I've only known one partner who lives on Long Island in the time I've worked there. It seems like NJ is the most popular location, followed by Westchester/CT and then Manhattan.
I've worked for three major investment banks, and in all three cases, Manhattan was, by far, the most popular location for execs, and the remainder tended to be distributed pretty evenly around the metro, with large representation from LI, NJ, Westchester and CT.

One thing I did notice is that location to transit played a small role in where people chose to live. In other words, if the office is close to Grand Central, there's a slightly better chance that execs will live in Westchester/CT, and if the office is close to Penn, Port Authority, or WTC, there's a slightly better chance that execs will live in NJ or LI.

Also, I noticed relative age plays a role. The older managing directos, especially 50+, tended to be more in the suburbs. The younger the executive, the better the probability he/she's in Manhattan/Brooklyn/Hoboken. Probably because the older executives bought their "forever home" sometime prior to 2000, when wealthy suburbia was still commonly preferred over the core. Nowadays suburbia is often a "value play" rather than "we like Westport more than Brooklyn Heights" as in the past. Family-sized apartments in the regional core are pretty fiendishly expensive these days.

Also, Brooklyn is only a "thing" to executives under 50. Tons of younger executives with little kids in brownstone/loft Brooklyn, but basically none from an earlier generation. Brooklyn wasn't "prime" until maybe 15 years ago, at the earliest. Now a three bedroom in Dumbo makes a New Canaan estate look cheap, which is probably bizarre to the older execs.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 6:42 PM

And I just thought of one of the most concentrated "favored quarters" in North America- Memphis.

Almost all the regional wealth, fancy shopping, corporate HQ, nice hotels, cultural institutions, etc. are within a few blocks of Poplar Ave., stretching from downtown out to deepest sprawlburbia.

If you're in Memphis and wondering "is this area nice" the best clue is whether or not you're close to Poplar.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 6:46 PM

Re: Long Island, it would be interesting to compare the North and South Shores demographically. While the towns of North Hempstead and Hempstead allow for a good north/south split, the town of Oyster Bay makes it a bigger undertaking!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Re: Long Island, it would be interesting to compare the North and South Shores demographically. While the towns of North Hempstead and Hempstead allow for a good north/south split, the town of Oyster Bay makes it a bigger undertaking!
North Shore is clearly wealthier/more desirable, though many exceptions.

It might be more accurate to say that LI is wealthier/more desirable when there are hills or water. The rich parts of the North Shore are rather hilly and/or near water, and the rich parts of the South Shore are right on the water.

Of course there are exceptions. Garden City is flat and nowhere near the water, yet a classic executive suburb, esp. for Catholic white ethnics.

And speaking very generally Asians/Jews/WASPs are more North Shore and Catholic white ethnics/blacks/Latinos are more South Shore, but, again, a ton of exceptions. Five Towns on the South Shore are super-desirable for religious Jews.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Generally speaking, nonwhite professionals and immigrants prefer NJ and LI. Religious Jews prefer NJ and LI. WASPs and expats prefer Westchester and CT. Of course there are exceptions. "Boat communities" on North Shore of LI are popular with WASPs/Catholic whites. "Rivertowns" in Westchester are popular with liberal Jews.

The main difference is that NJ and LI have more "regular" Levitttown-style middle class areas, and Westchester/Connecticut don't, because of topography and NIMBYism. There's almost no "normal sprawl" directly north of the city (there's only one suburban-style Walmart and one suburban-style Target in Westchester).
Dare I say that WASPs and liberal Jews are the base of NIMBYism, while Asians, Russians and Orthodox Jews generally avoid Westchester/CT (at least partly) for that reason.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 9:38 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
portland is hip in all directions these days but id say most of the local action is on the east side of the river within a 3 mile radius of downtown. NW is still the true urban hub of portland but it doesn't really change much. the pearl district is nearly built out and all of the old portland money is up in the west hills. that hasn't changed in 100 years.
True. Which is why I moved to Washington County. Even though some of the most affluent zip codes in the state are in Washington County, it is "uncool" to be here. The amount of stigma is palpable, and I can't tell you how many times Portlanders have stuck their noses up at me when I told them where I live. Until they visit. It's hilarious.

Which is fine by me. I'm a 15 minute drive to downtown off-peak (easier than a lot of east side neighborhoods), 30 minutes by MAX at any time, and my neighbors are sane. I also got 3 times as much house, in much better condition. Literally the only thing I wish for is more places to grab a beer nearby. But even that isn't so big of a deal with the MAX.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 5:32 PM

Buffalo has a more affluent area north of downtown that takes in Allentown and the area around Delaware Park, which later gives way to the middle class streetcar suburb of North Buffalo. But the wealthy suburbs of Amherst and Clarence are to the northeast, east of Main (which runs northeasterly out of the city).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Uni Hill and Chautauqua are in the direction of Denver. West of Broadway, but that doesn't matter much. Anyway, it's not just the value of single family houses that makes a favored quarter, but also the direction of economic development in general. Broomfield versus Gunbarrel matters as much as Mapleton vs Table Mesa.

*shrug* I guess if we start re-defining "favored quarter" as having to do with commercial development, or even count Broomfield county as part of Boulder for that matter (Census counts it as part of Denver's MSA, not Boulder's). It seems everybody else though has been looking more at per-capita income than overall economic development. And within the city limits itself, there is almost no office growth to the southeast (it is mostly happening near 30th and Pearl, Gunbarrel, Arapahoe - east of Foothills, and in downtown right now).

From an income point of view, Gunbarrel and Niwot and the rural properties along the Diagonal FAR exceed the US36 corridor in terms of affluence. And the northern neighborhoods are more affluent than the southern ones. And without Boulder County's open space and growth controls, I wouldn't be so sure we wouldn't already have an edge city in the diagonal corridor... IBM has their local facility up north afterall.

Louisville and Superior are about the only communities to the southeast that I would consider a true outgrowth of Boulder, and are as you describe there because of the pull of Denver and lack of growth controls. They are most definitely a notch below Boulder in both home value and income though. To put it another way, US36 serves the masses, and the Diagonal Highway serves the classes. I would certainly never consider the southeast to be "favored" above the north/northwest in Boulder. Not by a long shot.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:39 AM

Looking at the Chicago area, I didn't realize that DuPage County is wealthier than Lake County. So even if the main wealth direction is north, most of the wealthy areas are still in Cook County.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
True. Which is why I moved to Washington County. Even though some of the most affluent zip codes in the state are in Washington County, it is "uncool" to be here. The amount of stigma is palpable, and I can't tell you how many times Portlanders have stuck their noses up at me when I told them where I live. Until they visit. It's hilarious.

Which is fine by me. I'm a 15 minute drive to downtown off-peak (easier than a lot of east side neighborhoods), 30 minutes by MAX at any time, and my neighbors are sane. I also got 3 times as much house, in much better condition. Literally the only thing I wish for is more places to grab a beer nearby. But even that isn't so big of a deal with the MAX.
good idea. i lived in beaverton for 5 years in that neighborhood north of the the transit center. i liked it alot. you can still ride a bike all over the place and get to goose hollow in 12 minutes. big deal. i hear beaverton is a popular real estate market at the moment but i still see good deals out by aloha.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 2:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Looking at the Chicago area, I didn't realize that DuPage County is wealthier than Lake County. So even if the main wealth direction is north, most of the wealthy areas are still in Cook County.
dupage county is much more consistently middle to upper-middle class, with a decent dose of upper class in the hinsdale/glen ellyn corridor, whereas lake county has more extremes of upper class old money in places like lake forest and then trailer parks in places like round lake, and LOTS of in between.

when people refer to the "north shore" in chicagoland, they're referring to lake bluff, lake forest, and highland park in lake county, but they're also referring to evanston, wilmette, kenilworth, winnetka, and glencoe, which are all located in cook county. glenview, northfield, and northbrook are also sometimes included in the "north shore", and they're all in cook county as well. so yes, the bulk of the population of chicago's northern suburbs favored quarter lies within cook county, not lake county.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 29, 2016 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
How many of the partners grew up in NYC?

One thing to keep in mind too is consulting firms etc. largely draw talent from across the country. Transplants to the NYC area who opt for the suburbs seem to prefer Westchester, CT and NJ. Long Island seems more "insular" and dominated by ex-"New Yawkers" and their descendants.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
How many of the partners grew up in NYC?

One thing to keep in mind too is consulting firms etc. largely draw talent from across the country. Transplants to the NYC area who opt for the suburbs seem to prefer Westchester, CT and NJ. Long Island seems more "insular" and dominated by ex-"New Yawkers" and their descendants.
Yeah, I think this is the difference. Consulting firms, probably more than any other industry, draw global talent, and Long Island, excepting the Hamptons, tends to be very "New Yorky" in a sense, and not the obvious place for an expat/relocatee.

LI is just stereotypical New York to the core, nowadays more than NYC, with the accents, the wisecracking back-and-forth, the Italian-American and Jewish-American presence. Very ethnic wealth, except for a few insular WASP enclaves (which, if anything, are less obvious destinations for outsiders than the stereotypically Jewish or Catholic Italian-Irish suburbs).

I don't think LI has notably fewer proportional high-net-worth professionals as Westchester/Connecticut. It's just a somewhat different crowd. And I would guess LI actually has a somewhat higher proportion than Northern/Central NJ.

A typical relocate from, say Ohio (or England for that matter) who wants a suburban lifestyle in the NYC region will likely pick Connecticut or NJ.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
LI is just stereotypical New York to the core, nowadays more than NYC, with the accents, the wisecracking back-and-forth, the Italian-American and Jewish-American presence. Very ethnic wealth, except for a few insular WASP enclaves (which, if anything, are less obvious destinations for outsiders than the stereotypically Jewish or Catholic Italian-Irish suburbs).
Interestingly the ethnic composition of the white population in Westchester isn't that different from Nassau:the share of Italian Americans and Jews are rather similar (though Westchester is less white overall). But even though Westchester is heavily Italian/Jewish, it retains a more "WASPy" reputation.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 7:38 PM

I also suspect educational/class differences played some role in Trump gaining relative to Romney on LI and losing ground to HRC in Westchester. Of course the Clintons have their residence in Westchester probably played a role - but then again they opted to live in Westchester, not LI, when they moved to NY.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
I also suspect educational/class differences played some role in Trump gaining relative to Romney on LI and losing ground to HRC in Westchester. Of course the Clintons have their residence in Westchester probably played a role - but then again they opted to live in Westchester, not LI, when they moved to NY.
Westchester is also culturally "liberal elite", I guess. LI doesn't have that feel. Westchester, along with maybe Marin County outside SF, is pretty much the archetypal "liberal elite" suburban county.

It's the land of Ivy League-educated Manhattan professionals, in extremely high wage employment, with stay-at-home wives or live-in nannies, but at the same time very culturally liberal outlook and values centered around sustainability and artisanal everything, rather than mass consumption. Gaudy homes or performance cars are rare. It's much cooler to brag about your kid's volunteering in the Panamanian rainforest as opposed to bragging about your new boat.

And there are no remotely "redneck" or even "working class white" areas in Westchester. LI has plenty such places, especially in Suffolk County. There are a fair amount of moderate and low-income areas in Westchester, but they're basically Hispanic or Black urban extensions/outposts of the North Bronx.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 8:01 PM

Question

In other words, affluent people who really care about "prestige" prefer Westchester while those affluent people that are less concerned about it opt for LI.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions