HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The building in the background is the Hall of Records, and he parks outside the Broadway entrance to the Hall of Justice (you can see the name over the door as he goes in).

Thanks, HossC...so that's the Broadway entrance...it was confusing me somewhat!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Thanks, HossC...so that's the Broadway entrance...it was confusing me somewhat!
Here's a comparison that I didn't have time to post yesterday. It looks like they've added steps and bollards since the '60s.

CBS/GSV

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 7:56 PM

I wasn't really aware of this, but apparently after the Northridge Quake in 1994, the building was shut down for almost two decades, was considered for demolition, but underwent a $234 million overhaul starting in 2012, including extensive seismic retrofitting, and reopened in Oct. 2014.

BrighamYen

BrighamYen

BrighamYen

Looking at GSVs, the bollards were put in sometime between 2015 and 2016.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Dec 9, 2020 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

I wasn't really aware of this, but apparently after the Northridge Quake in 1994, the building was shut down for almost two decades, was considered for demolition, but underwent a $234 million overhaul starting in 2012, including extensive seismic retrofitting, and reopened in Oct. 2014.

Looking at GSVs, the bollards were put in sometime between 2015 and 2016.
They also cleaned the exterior, it looks quite striking in pics from Griffith Park.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:13 AM

Here's another of the slides from the group that I mentioned a couple of days ago. (I previously posted three of the slides) I'm glad one of them found a home with Beaudry.

As you can see this one was taken on Hollywood Blvd. just east of Argyle. -looking west.

eBay

The two films playing at the Pantages are. . .

Tip on a Dead Jockey (1957)

House of Numbers (1957)

And there's a bit of jabberwocky fun going on with the two signs.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 10, 2020 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:59 AM

mystery street, Los Angeles 1970 ....eBay

hmm. .perhaps the owners of the two nifty cars work in the building on the left.

eBay

At first glance there doesn't appear to be any good clues (besides the name on the bldg at left.)

. . . .that is, unless you take a look farther down the street. (see below)

detail

As you can see the street appears to dead end at a rather interesting looking building with a wall and arch. (& possibly a tall tower on the left)

. . .of course an even better clue is the homemade 2412 sign with the arrow.

There's also a street sign peaking out from behind a pole. The first two letters appear to be A and y(?) I think.

Last but not least, here is a closer look at the name on the building that I mentioned earlier.

detail

I've often wondered if there's an app that will stretch out the letters to make the sign more legible. (just askin')

Good luck minions!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 10, 2020 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:28 AM

e_r. I believe we're at the corner of Pico and Federal Avenue, looking south. Next street down is Ayres Avenue.

gsv

The structure in the foreground appears to be a survivor . . .

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
It's funny, I just did a post where I referenced being on an eBay spending diet, but I intend to "go big" on this one, because man do I want that sucker. Such an interesting point in time, after they tore down the Fremont for the Fourth St Cut in 1954, but before they tore down the rest of the wall (here I am going on about like a crazy person 'bout that wall).

What really gets me is that it shows the pedestrian bridges between the two telephone buildings. The Pacific Telephone and Telegraph offices at left (Bliss & Faville, 1924) was joined to the new Southern California Telephone HQ (Charles Day Woodford) when it was finished in 1947. We've seen the shot by the great Palmer Conner here on NLA before I'm sure:

Huntington Library
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Actually there was never a microwave tower on that building; that's 434 S Grand and it's always just looked like that. However, just next door to its north at 420 they built another telephone building, designed by Woodford & Bernard and built in 1962. THAT one had the 185', 250-ton tower:

lapl

However, that tower didn't last too long. In 1966 the tower was removed/demolished, and seven stories added to the structure, and then the tower was rebuilt in a slightly different configuration:

huntington, huntington
^^^
Thanks for the microwave tower history. In the 1980s I once overheard some homeless guy in Pershing Square mutter that the microwaves were used for thought control. I nodded as I quickly passed him on the way to an important meeting on metrorail construction in the Biltmore.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 10, 2020 at 10:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's another of the slides from the group that I mentioned a couple of days ago. (I previously posted three of the slides) I'm glad one of them found a home with Beaudry.

As you can see this one was taken on Hollywood Blvd. just east of Argyle. -looking west.

eBay

It looks like there are two betting films showing at the Pantages.

Tip on a Dead Jockey (1957)

House of Numbers (1957)

And there's a bit of jabberwocky fun going on with the two signs.

^^^
I also see an early VW "beetle" (black) on the left with the small oval rear window. Before 1960 VWs were quite rare in the U.S. Then the brilliant ad campaign started that made them cool. Soon they were everywhere. The Hitler connection was forgotten. Similarly, in the 1970s Japanese cars became common. Our old foes won the car wars. I bought a VW in 1968 and a Toyota Corolla in 1974, followed by a Honda Accord in 1979. Before that my parents and family members were mostly Chevy folks, with a few Ford people and one Chrysler oddball. But Dinah Shore singing "See the USA in Your Chevrolet" persists like some ancient ear worm of a distant time long departed. It is hard to forget those old jingles from youth. The "Bonanza" theme music plays in my head sometimes. At other times "77 Sunset Strip" and the "Ballad of Jedd Clampett" from the Beverly Hillbillies.

The early 1960s and before seem as ancient as the time of the dinosaurs. To quote Jimmie Durante, "Good night Mrs. Calabash wherever you are". Goodbye deep past. We will remember you but you are gone forever....except on Noirish Los Angeles. The deep past lives here forever. Thank you ethereal reality for starting this blog, and thanks to all the contributers!

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 10, 2020 at 10:06 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:13 AM

mystery street FOUND!

ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

e_r. I believe we're at the corner of Pico and Federal Avenue, looking south. Next street down is Ayres Avenue.

gsv

Thanks odinthor, I appreciate your help.

And look what I just found on eBay.

If it weren't for the two cars I wouldn't have recognized that this is the same street looking in the opposite direction.

eBay

Let's take a closer look.

eBay

Here's the same view in 2011.

GSV

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:

gsv

The building was there until a couple of years ago, but the latest GSV image shows hoardings around an empty site. Here's the 21-unit apartment block being built there now:

urbanize.city

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 9:25 PM

Thanks Hoss. Finally a tear-down and replace I'm happy to sign on to! The structure actually is pretty handsome in its way (though that pink-flowering tree, which is probably based on a photo of a Flowering Peach variety, well, no way is it going to grow that big in some tub or container like that).

I quite like the fact that they evidently plan to dip passers-by in quicklime, no doubt as a health precaution.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:32 PM

Pensick & Gordon Toy Warehouse, 1946.

eBay

845 S. Los Angeles Street

I thought I recognized this building as a building in the Arts District. . .

. .but 845 S. Los Angeles St. is located in the 'Lady Liberty' Bldg. LINK...... (as you can see, it isn't on a corner as shown in the ad)

So where is the building in the ad?

(At the moment I don't remember the street address of the building I think it might be.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 10, 2020 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:56 PM

The CDs around that time all list 845 S Los Angeles Street as the address of Pensick & Gordon (earlier ones give their address as 356 S Los Angeles). Despite this, the building in the picture is at S Santa Fe and E 3rd.

GSV

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:08 PM

That's it!

Thanks Hoss.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:26 PM

I just found this 1970s view of Pensick & Gordon on flickr

flickr

"At this time all boarded up and abandoned. Today, it has been converted into lofts as part of the clean up of Downtown.
On the corner of 3rd and Santa Fe Ave. The structure was built in 1907 and was originally a wholesale grocers."
. ...emd

"My dad worked there for years from 1956 til he retired in 1975 He was a truck driver and warehouseman.
They had the best company picnics at Elysian Park. Free toys for all the kids."
......perezcathy

Free toys for the kids at the company picnic! That is so cool.

I know we have seen this building on NLA but a search for 'Pensick' resulted in no hits.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 10, 2020 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 12:36 AM

The original builder would be the wholesale grocer R.L. Craig & Co.

LA Times of 6/2/1907, via ProQuest via CSULB Library

(The illustration referred to in the article is too murky to be of any benefit.)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 7:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks Hoss. Finally a tear-down and replace I'm happy to sign on to! The structure actually is pretty handsome in its way (though that pink-flowering tree, which is probably based on a photo of a Flowering Peach variety, well, no way is it going to grow that big in some tub or container like that).

I quite like the fact that they evidently plan to dip passers-by in quicklime, no doubt as a health precaution.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I just found this 1970s view of Pensick & Gordon on flickr

flickr

"At this time all boarded up and abandoned. Today, it has been converted into lofts as part of the clean up of Downtown.
On the corner of 3rd and Santa Fe Ave. The structure was built in 1907 and was originally a wholesale grocers."
. ...emd
It's now known as the Toy Warehouse Lofts. From toywarehouselofts.net:
The Toy Warehouse Lofts, converted in 2001, was the first of the derelict downtown commercial buildings to be made into live-work space under the Los Angeles Adaptive Reuse Ordinance. In 1907 grocer R. L. Craig commissioned architects Morgan And Walls to design a new warehouse for his growing business. The firm, noted in succeeding years for several downtown buildings including the Richfield Tower and several theaters, created the three-level structure with understated but elegant brickwork. Craig died before the building became operational and his wife, Nancy Tuttle Craig, took over and built the business into the largest grocery distributor in the city. The operation quickly outgrew the building and Mrs Craig, one of the most successful businesswomen in early Los Angeles, moved to a larger warehouse nearby.

Today, the lower level houses administrative offices and the student bookstore for Sci Arc, whose main campus is across the street, and Hammer and Spear, a curated specialty shop offering personal and home care products along with unique found objects.

The upper two floors were converted into 20 loft-style condos and are inhabited by a mixture of creative people including artists, musicians, poets, photographers, jewelers, and writers.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 9:37 PM

It appears that the Toy Warehouse folks have conflated two different structures for R.L. Craig and Co.

R.L. Craig himself died June 27, 1901, at the tender age of 41 . . .

LA Times, 6/28/1901; first paragraph of a much much longer article, with a picture of Mr. Craig.

. . . just as arrangements for the R.L. Craig Co. for a structure which was one previous to the Toy Warehouse building were coming to fruition:

LA Times, 6/30/1901

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos