HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Tintin is better than Astérix BTW.

renewing the classic rivalry here
I take "un nuage de lait" in my tea to this day.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:53 PM

Food: Asian, Indian, Western (vegan).
Music: Multi-genre/multi-decades (too hard to narrow).
Travel destinations: As urban as possible, as remote as possible.
TV: Reality (documentaries, Youtube).
Driving: Rentals, borrowed.
Books: History, architecture, planning, arts.
Sports: Canadian teams in the playoffs.
Dating/partner: Ginger-blonde.
Alcoholic beverage: All of the above...
Newspaper: CBC, The Star Phoenix, The Leader Post, TYT (if that counts), Reddit links (if that counts).
Hobbies: Painting, reading, travelling, photography, eating, drinking, going out in general, a bit of skateboarding, exploring.

Last edited by W.W. La Chance; May 24, 2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added something.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I take "un nuage de lait" in my tea to this day.
Surely you mean un nuage de lait in your chaude eau.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. La Chance View Post
Food: Asian, Indian, Western (vegan).
Music: Multi-genre/multi-decades (too hard to narrow).
Travel destinations: As urban as possible, as remote as possible.
TV: Reality (documentaries, Youtube).
Driving: Rentals, borrowed.
Books: History, architecture, planning, arts.
Sports: Canadian teams in the playoffs.
Dating/partner: Ginger-blonde.
Alcoholic beverage: All of the above...
Newspaper: CBC, The Star Phoenix, The Leader Post, TYT (if that counts), Reddit links (if that counts).
Hobbies: Painting, reading, travelling, eating, drinking, going out in general, a bit of skateboarding, exploring.
So after you've done Perth, Montevideo and Cape Town, where will you go?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
So after you've done Perth, Montevideo and Cape Town, where will you go?
Should read as urban as possible OR remote as possible. And truthfully I don't go very remote, just appreciate nature away from the urban environment once in a while.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. La Chance View Post
Should read as urban as possible OR remote as possible. And truthfully I don't go very remote, just appreciate nature away from the urban environment once in a while.
Remote AND urban can be pretty good too - I've not been to Perth, but have only heard good things. Montevideo and Cape Town both have much to offer. Closer to home, we have Winnipeg!

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yeah, I've been basically video-game-free for about 15 years now, BUT from time to time -- and I just did that this long weekend, BTW -- I will start a new Civ 1 game at the Emperor difficulty level (yep, I'm that good) to take my mind off things, and it's like I just took a time warp to my early teen days.
Wow, Civ 1? I was hard-core into Civ-2, 3, and 4. Tried badly with 5, but it was glitch-city.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:35 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Wow, Civ 1? I was hard-core into Civ-2, 3, and 4. Tried badly with 5, but it was glitch-city.
What do you play now?

I dont even know how one woild play civ 1 on todays computers without going out of their way with modulators, etc.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:45 AM

Food: Oh god... basically anything... but I have a particular soft spot for East Asian
Music: Mostly indie stuff... I know, stereotypical millennial lol
Travel destinations: Anything that is both urban and historic. Jerusalem is one of my favourite cities I've visited as a tourist.
TV: Sitcoms, generally.
Driving: I don't. My ride is the bus or the train. I find driving very stressful.
Books: Historical fiction, or sci-fi. Ben Bova is one my favourite authors.
Sports: Don't follow.
Dating/partner: I'm in a long term relationship now with a cub, but oddly enough, before him my dating history was all twink
Alcoholic beverage: Girly cocktails / fruity stuff.
Newspaper: The Star, CBC
Hobbies: Video games, reading, board games
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Tu veux une baffe?

Ils sont fous ces Ontariens!

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Bonus points for whomever can tell who is on my avatar. I'm a big fan of that particular series of movies.
C'est Louis de Funès, non?

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:58 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Couldn't agree more!

Some of my personal favorites... the early but not super-early Cliftons (the ones from the beginning & middle of the Turk and de Groot era) are pure gold (beating both Robin Dubois and Leonard).

Franquin and Peyo would also be near the top of my list (for their work in general, especially at their respective peaks). BTW, the two were close friends, too.

For stories where humor isn't at the forefront, I'd say anything by Jean-Michel Charlier (Lt. Blueberry, Buck Danny, Barbe-Rouge) would be hard to beat.

I also find that the best material by far comes from a "golden era" of the Franco-Belgian BD that peaked over a few decades and has been declining for a while now.
It also explains why the comic strip (BD = bande dessinée) actually has good cred in the francophone world as a legitimate form of art or literature, or both.

It's widely referred to as the 9th art form, on the list of art forms, loosely based on the nine muses of ancient Greece.

Since this formulation is not used much in the anglo world, I will list them:

1 - architecture
2- sculpture
3 - visual arts (painting and drawing)
4 - music
5 - literature
6 - performing arts (dance, theatre)
7 - cinema
8 - media (radio, TV photography)
9 - comic strips

There is some debate at the moment about whether a 10th should be added for digital and technological art forms.

Last edited by Acajack; May 25, 2016 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Food: Oh god... basically anything... but I have a particular soft spot for East Asian
Music: Mostly indie stuff... I know, stereotypical millennial lol
Travel destinations: Anything that is both urban and historic. Jerusalem is one of my favourite cities I've visited as a tourist.
TV: Sitcoms, generally.
Driving: I don't. My ride is the bus or the train. I find driving very stressful.
Books: Historical fiction, or sci-fi. Ben Bova is one my favourite authors.
Sports: Don't follow.
Dating/partner: I'm in a long term relationship now with a cub, but oddly enough, before him my dating history was all twink
Alcoholic beverage: Girly cocktails / fruity stuff.
Newspaper: The Star, CBC
Hobbies: Video games, reading, board games
I have a few gay friends but I have never heard the term "cub", but assume it's a young "bear"? If not, I'm really curious to know! I'm also glad mine isn't the only list that comes off as obvious young person. I'm 29 but am more or less a millennial.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:55 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Tu veux une baffe?

Bonus points for whomever can tell who is on my avatar. I'm a big fan of that particular series of movies.
Come on, that's an easy one: Louis de Funes

I'm a fan too.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post

I'm a fan too.
I've been living in Quebec for 20 years and one of the things that amazed me when I moved here and still amazes me is the number of people in my generation (and also younger "millenials") who are still fans of Louis de Funès. (Whom I had never heard of until I moved here.)

Quite impressive when you consider he died in the early 1980s I think...

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
What do you play now?

I dont even know how one woild play civ 1 on todays computers without going out of their way with modulators, etc.
DosBox works fine (a MSDOS emulator). It's very simple...

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Civ 2 was fine, but Civ 3 I found too needlessly complicated. Too much micromanagement, not enough action.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post

I'm a fan too.
Absolutely fantastic actor. As a kid I called him 'little grandpa' so it sort of stuck around in my family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've been living in Quebec for 20 years and one of the things that amazed me when I moved here and still amazes me is the number of people in my generation (and also younger "millenials") who are still fans of Louis de Funès. (Whom I had never heard of until I moved here.)

Quite impressive when you consider he died in the early 1980s I think...
French Canadian TV does a decent job showing his films. I remember having no trouble catching some of the Gendarmes de St Tropez movies on TFO back in the late 90s. Haven't watched much TFO since then so I couldn't comment.

In addition to the absolutely fantastic Gendarmes movies, his Rabbi Jacob film was an absolute riot. The energy and facial expressions/gestures he puts into his roles are in a class of their own.

... It was sad to hear of Michel Galabru's passing... Also enjoyed his movies, in particular Le Grand Bazar.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I am embarrassed every time I say this, I know it's stupid... but I have zero - ZERO - interest in most things about the Far East. If I won an all-expenses paid trip to Beijing, I'd try to sell it. I've watched a lot of documentaries set there and loved it - from Japanese riverside villages that use the river water for everything, and even keep carp in their kitchens to clean dishes instead of using detergent... to Chinese Communist Party history, etc. So there's a level of interest in terms of learning about it, but it is literally the last place I need to visit, care to see, etc. I'll have been to every European country's second and third city before I venture east of Kathmandu.
Same here.

Asian culture is fascinating at a distance however I find close up there is a certain level of hellishness to everything involved.

My best friend married into and integrated with the Filipino community, while there is a large part of their culture I admire and respect at a distance I really don't jive well with it close up.

I'm deeply critical of western liberalism but you can really see why it's needed.

Asian culture can be very conservative way to focused on success(not that western culture isn't but it's easier to filter out as a native).

Living conditions with poor sanitation, extreme pollution, overpopulation, corruption are so apparent(despite the people of these countries being very industrialized/educated).

There's also this don't question anything mentality that really really gets old. I know hyper individualism is disruptive in the west, but east asia takes this to an extreme sometimes.

Again none of these traits are exactly that foreign to western eyes and there are a large number of westerners that identify with it, I just don't find it very appealing as an interest.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

«Oui papa! L’entrepôt est rempli à craquer! Le plus grand choix de stores verticaux et vénitiens que nous fabriquons sur place dans n’importe quelle grandeur pendant que vous attendez!» hurlait Stephen Shiller en agitant sans cesse son bras droit.

«Aidez-nous à écraser la compétition et vous serez les gagnants», lui répond son père David avant que les deux enfants lui lancent le célèbre «Oui papa!».

legends:

youtube
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada