HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 12:17 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
One. Still, those of us who didn't partake in the drama ended up having immense personal growth from the experiences and resources available through the group, it was quite visible and tangible.
I wish I was you.

Professional governing bodies operate in a fully open manner, but unless something criminal comes up, no-one would ever think of looking into them. For me I'm thinking of the Architectural Institute of BC, the Law Society of BC, and the Association of Professional Engineers and Geo-scientists of BC. Each feels and operates as if they were at least partly secret societies.

On a completely different note: there are 'secret' groups who maintain and build mountain biking trails in the mountains of BC. In one area, I work with a group of about 15 others, while in another area, I work alone or with a couple of others. Most of the work is done in the open in daylight, but bigger changes and larger structures often get implemented in the middle of the night. I have only once worked in the night (felt a bit stupid) when we took out a small rotten bridge and put in a new one (all timber). Trails magically improve and appear. Local governments do not condone any of this officially, but unofficial policy is to accept the free work unless it has resulted in a danger to the public, which they quickly remove.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 2:31 AM
See ya down under, mates

I'm in a secret club where you stare at the ground/your phone and never speak to everyone. Everyone in Vancouver is in it.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I used to be part of one (restricted membership, internal controls, private venues, etc.). I was a member for two years before I took a hiatus for a few years due to changed priorities and due to needing time to implement all the knowledge I gained through it. A couple years ago, the whole group went underground (still legal) due to negative media publicity and exposure of a couple members identities. Now that I'm ready to get back into that circle I find all my old friends from there no longer involved and all the groups websites out of commission. It was the 2 years that provided me the greatest period of personal growth and development, I sorely miss it. I might start something similar but smaller scale in a couple years. It was a men's personal development group (financial, entrepreneurial, social, fitness, etc.) that only invited A players and strict privacy as we shared IP materials, one-on-one and group coaching, private venues/resources and know-how. Oh, and we also partied like fvcking rockstars.
So, basically, you were a frat bro?

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 2:46 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
So, basically, you were a frat bro?
Basically, a frat bro with the caveat that noone there was broke and there were effective personal growth systems for all areas of one's life.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:20 AM
I am a typical

I administrated a private Facebook group last year, which was dedicated to local issues. (It's called Concerned Citizens of Thunder Bay, and it still exists if you want to find it and fuck with them). I joined the group to get back at a failed city council candidate who was a founder of the group. He censored a rant posted by a friend of mine about a white supremacist who ran for council. Shortly after joining, one of the admins quit and I replaced her (questionable judgment I think!). Within months, that former council candidate was kicked out by the other admins (I wasn't involved in the decision but helped in its execution). After that we implemented a post approval process for the group and it stopped being as fun. Once the summer hit I got busy with work and slowly abandoned it. The woman that I replaced several months earlier, replaced me. I left the group because everyone in it hated me. (I questioned them when they said stupid things. Those here who know me know what I am talking about.) At one point, a woman accused me of "attacking [her] with common sense". I forget her name. I cherish that phrase.

Anyway, as a result of my brief tenure in that private group, according to the local white supremacists whose antics led to my friend's rant and my joining that group, I am "the king of the internet". This was said because I told someone, who complained about people commenting too much, that she could simply use the unfollow post feature to not see them.

That was as close as I've gotten to a secret society.

I am on the board of a local charity, but charities are about as opposite to secret societies as you can get. Knowing people does get you access to a wide variety of very interesting stories about local public figures. Secret societies (more like boys-only clubs, really) like the one mistercorporate was in aren't as secret as he thinks. And drugs and hookers are always part of the deal. They exist all across the country. Though we don't know much more other than that they exist. The one I do know about in Thunder Bay is very interesting, but I'll respect their privacy a bit more than the numerous people who've decided to tell me about it have done.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:34 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Yeah, I kick everyone out of it. I'd kick myself out if I could.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:39 AM

Mistercorporate, your club sounds a bit like a pick-up group. Lairs, I think they're called.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:45 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
Mistercorporate, your club sounds a bit like a pick-up group. Lairs, I think they're called.
Had to google that, i wouldn't be surprised if the guys who caused the trouble were associated with that sort of thing (though that's not what this was), 90% of the members were in it for the personal growth/finance side of things.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:48 AM
I am a typical

They can't accept that businessmen hang out with other businessmen to talk about business, lol.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:58 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They can't accept that businessmen hang out with other businessmen to talk about business, lol.
lol, yeah, what's all this stuff about drugs and hookers?? Don't recall saying anything of the sort.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, I am part of one.

It's called SSP Canada.
Same thing I was going to say

Not illegal of course, but the people closest to me know SSP as "my real estate (and also a bit of urban affairs too) discussion forum".

I like the sound of it better than "that online discussion forum where grown people argue fiercely over which parts of Canada have the least shitty weather during winter, or which Canadian skylines are superior to which other Canadian skylines, with endless debates, usually circular, that often get heated and unpleasant".

So in a sense, my participation in SSP is kinda secretive, yes.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 7:01 AM

You mean like a Coven?

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 12:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wax Fruit Cult

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 6:24 PM

Used to be part of a secretive society where if you revealed your true identity you were disowned, outcast, ex-communicated, etc. we had a secret network, codewords, body piercings, colours, clubs, shops, neighbourhoods - life was grand. Now we just let anybody join! LGBTQ

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 8:22 PM

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

Freedom of association is guaranteed under section 2(d). This right provides individuals the right to establish, belong to and maintain to any sort of organization, unless that organization is otherwise illegal.

You can interpret the illegal point..

With that in mind, here is a (conceptual image of our monthly meetings).

Looks normal, no issue...

The problem was the freaky after parties (shakes head), and after a few months we had to disband the cove.....group becuse it became so secretive some of our members were ending up at local Holiday Inn Express locations...

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Used to be part of a secretive society where if you revealed your true identity you were disowned, outcast, ex-communicated, etc. we had a secret network, codewords, body piercings, colours, clubs, shops, neighbourhoods - life was grand. Now we just let anybody join! LGBTQ
Geez, you must be even older than me! I was not a member in good standing, however - I could never remember what all the damn coloured hankies stood for!

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Geez, you must be even older than me! I was not a member in good standing, however - I could never remember what all the damn coloured hankies stood for!
This is what my sugar daddy told me! Mostly before my time - although sad that some of the disowning still occurs!

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 12:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Heh I met one of the founders of pride in toronto and it was a pretty intense discussion. It really really was another world back then.

Really inspired me to stick with this autism cause.

But I get the need to keep things on the down low. Telling my family is gonna be stressful(has my brother also has it).

My best friend is about to find out his daughter has it, which is gonna force him to realize that it runs in his family and that I actually have it.

The thing with autism is you pretty much automatically out anyone around you the second you are open about it.

It gets really stressful with my girlfriend because I can't even tell folk where I actually met her.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 1:40 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Heh I met one of the founders of pride in toronto and it was a pretty intense discussion. It really really was another world back then.

Really inspired me to stick with this autism cause.

But I get the need to keep things on the down low. Telling my family is gonna be stressful(has my brother also has it).

My best friend is about to find out his daughter has it, which is gonna force him to realize that it runs in his family and that I actually have it.

The thing with autism is you pretty much automatically out anyone around you the second you are open about it.

It gets really stressful with my girlfriend because I can't even tell folk where I actually met her.
I don't get it, what's wrong with being autistic if you're still functional and charmismatic as you clearly seem, I'm sure many people will admire the fact that there's an organized and lively autistic community subculture. Wear it with pride bro, you're a good ambassador for the cause.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 1:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I agree with mistercorporate. There's definitely still a bit of a stigma - you'll hear of queer hands being dismissed as having a touch of the Asperger's or whatever. But, meh... no one's perfect. When I was in school, the only kids we knew were autistic were very, very non-social. One couldn't speak, and the other would recite the phone book to you. Now there is a much broader range of people who are out and open, living somewhere on the spectrum. That's what removes people's fear, when they learn something is a part of you but doesn't define your whole being. It was the same for gay people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada