HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 8:11 PM

CFL goes on marketing offensive in its biggest markets
New league-centric campaign is meant to work alongside new Argos rebrand
Morgan Campbell Staff Reporter thestar.com May 18, 2016

Hope you’re ready for the CFL, because avoiding the league’s marketing message is about to become difficult.

The CFL kicked off a marketing campaign Wednesday, based on the “What We’re Made Of” re-brand unveiled at last year’s Grey Cup, and aimed at strengthening its presence in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

For now the blitz consists mainly of posters showcasing attributes — like “Grit,” “Heart” and “Soul” — that endear the league and its players to would-be fans. But it will grow to include billboards and on-screen commercials at Cineplex theatres, says the CFL.

The league’s campaign unfolds the same week the Argos are going public with their brand makeover, and soon TSN’s CFL-themed advertising will begin appearing around Toronto.

CFL spokesperson Paulo Senra says the three marketing blitzes spring from a months-long planning process designed to ensure they complement each other instead of drowning out each other’s messages.

Senra says the first posters connected with the CFL’s campaign will begin appearing in strategically-targeted neighbourhoods, like Queen St. West and Liberty Village, that surround BMO Field, which will host both the Argos and the Grey Cup this season.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 8:58 PM

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Sounds to me like he explicitly admitting he's a troll.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:27 PM

Marty York

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Sounds to me like he explicitly admitting he's a troll.
Isn't that pretty much what he's been doing for the last 25 years or so? I have to admit I always found him pretty amusing, I wish he still had a national media pulpit.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Isn't that pretty much what he's been doing for the last 25 years or so? I have to admit I always found him pretty amusing, I wish he still had a national media pulpit.
He definitely adds some flavour to the mix. Gotta say much of Toronto's local sports media come off as sycophants.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 3:08 PM

TSN2 to broadcast Marlies-Bears AHL Eastern Conference Finals series, series starts tonight in Hershey.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-follows-marlie...chase-1.492450

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 9:58 PM

Argonauts' ad campaign is their most ambitious in decades (video and photos)
Andrew Bucholtz 55 Yard Line Yahoo!Sports May 23/2016

2016 is a huge year for the Toronto Argonauts, who are now under the ownership of Bell and Larry Tanenbaum and moving to BMO Field, and it looks like the new owners have given the team the marketing budget it deserves to promote these major changes. That's particularly notable, as marketing funds were especially lacking for the last few years under former owner David Braley. Under the new owners, the team's now doing some new and innovative marketing things, including buying fans drinks this past weekend and creating a large ad campaign on a scale we haven't seen from them in decades, including a new high-quality commercial that will first air on TSN during Monday night's Raptors - Cavaliers NBA playoff broadcast. Here's the commercial:

Video Link

This is an excellent ad, emphasizing the team, the experience at the new stadium (including the new tailgating setup, which is huge), and their ties to the city. It's also just part of a much larger campaign (developed with Argos’ agency of record Bensimon Byrne) planned for the next few weeks, which will include TV, radio, digital and out-of-home advertising. Here's what Argos' president Michael Copeland (the former CFL president and chief operating officer) said about this new approach in a release sent out Monday:
“With training camp opening this weekend, it’s the perfect time for us to introduce the new Argos to Torontonians,” said Michael Copeland, President and CEO for the Argos. “And when we talk about the new Argos, its not just the players we added in free agency or through the CFL Draft. It’s about new ownership, a new stadium and an entirely new Argos experience that will happen in and around BMO Field this year. It’s about an authentic football experience to compliment our great team on the field. We can’t wait to show our city what Argos Football really is.”

Here are some of the ads that will be posted around the city:

These are terrific, emphasizing the team's connection to the city (and bringing up some memories of the Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles for some of us; fortunately, the Argos' "taking it outside" here only refers to an outdoor stadium rather than going Bound For Street). Here's another good one promoting the new tailgate experience:

The overall approach is a long way from anything we've seen from Toronto on the marketing front in decades, and is perhaps the most ambitious since the John Candy/Wayne Gretzky/Bruce McNall ownership triumvirate's days in 1991, featuring everything from Rocket Ismail to the Blues Brothers. The team's found some great on-field success since then, including Grey Cup wins in 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004 and 2012, but they've had plenty of off-field ownership and marketing issues. It's fantastic to see the new owners investing heavily in marketing this team and their new stadium experience. Hopefully that investment will pay off with new fans and returning old ones, and lead to the Argonauts finding off-field success as well as on-field wins.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:13 AM

Ticats’ Dyakowski touts fake study, conducts fake radio interview
Drew Edwards 3DownNation May 21, 2016

Hamilton Tiger-Cats offensive lineman Peter Dyakowski pulled an amazing troll job on Roughrider fans yesterday – and duped an unsuspecting Saskatchewan radio host in the process.

It starts with this Tweet from Dyakowski yesterday.

Predictably, this Tweet got Rider fans – who view themselves as the league’s pre-eminent fan base and are more than willing to shout down anyone with audacity to suggest otherwise – all up in arms. There were dozen of Tweets like these…

Dyakowski played along, Tweeting out a few other “facts” about the study but things really took a turn when Jamie Nye, a Regina radio host, asked him to provide the “professor” who authored the “study.”

So Dyakowski sent him a response…

For those of you following the U.S. presidential race, “John Miller” is the name Donald Trump used back in the 1990s when he acted as his own fake spokesperson. But Nye dutifully interviewed “Professor Miller” on his show yesterday… and it’s remarkable how much Miller sounds like one Peter Dyakowski.

You should really listen to the entire interview but Dyakowski plays it completely straight, making up all kind of “facts” and sounding like, well, a boring math professor defending his study. Their chat goes on for nearly eight minutes and Nye never appears to clue in, inviting him back when the “full study” is released at the start of CFL regular season.

Dyakowski finally confessed to the hoax on Twitter….

Well done, Peter. Well, done.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:51 AM

^ LOL Dyakowski... that's hilarious

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:15 AM

Quote:
This is an excellent ad, emphasizing the team, the experience at the new stadium (including the new tailgating setup, which is huge
Tailgating is drinking and eating in the parking lot of the stadium before a game, right? What kind of setup has been created to facilitate this?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Ticats’ Dyakowski touts fake study, conducts fake radio interview
Drew Edwards 3DownNation May 21, 2016

Hamilton Tiger-Cats offensive lineman Peter Dyakowski pulled an amazing troll job on Roughrider fans yesterday – and duped an unsuspecting Saskatchewan radio host in the process.

It starts with this Tweet from Dyakowski yesterday.

Predictably, this Tweet got Rider fans – who view themselves as the league’s pre-eminent fan base and are more than willing to shout down anyone with audacity to suggest otherwise – all up in arms. There were dozen of Tweets like these…

Dyakowski played along, Tweeting out a few other “facts” about the study but things really took a turn when Jamie Nye, a Regina radio host, asked him to provide the “professor” who authored the “study.”

So Dyakowski sent him a response…

For those of you following the U.S. presidential race, “John Miller” is the name Donald Trump used back in the 1990s when he acted as his own fake spokesperson. But Nye dutifully interviewed “Professor Miller” on his show yesterday… and it’s remarkable how much Miller sounds like one Peter Dyakowski.

You should really listen to the entire interview but Dyakowski plays it completely straight, making up all kind of “facts” and sounding like, well, a boring math professor defending his study. Their chat goes on for nearly eight minutes and Nye never appears to clue in, inviting him back when the “full study” is released at the start of CFL regular season.

Dyakowski finally confessed to the hoax on Twitter….

Well done, Peter. Well, done.
It had me going when I heard about it on the Sportscage. Well played by Dyakowski and I tip my hat to him.
That he punked Jamie Nye is just icing on the cake!!

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
It had me going when I heard about it on the Sportscage. Well played by Dyakowski and I tip my hat to him. That he punked Jamie Nye is just icing on the cake!!
I'm not sure if he did, Dyakowski is so recognizable and the setup was so open that Nye may have just played along.

Either way, Dyakowski (Canada's Smartest Man) is an idiot, but in the funniest possible way. He's so bad he's good. Hat's off to Peter for a great bit of publicity for the league and the positive vibes just keep coming for the new season.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:49 AM

The part of the interview that really cracked me up was when Dyakowski (as John Miller) throws in an aside at 6:32. "Noise is, it has to be a part of it, I don't see how you can argue that it cannot be. Hamilton scored highest in the new Tim Horton's Field...beautiful facility by the way."

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
Tailgating is drinking and eating in the parking lot of the stadium before a game, right? What kind of setup has been created to facilitate this?
My understanding from past utterances (subject to correction) is that there will be three tail gate experiences. One for kids/families, one for the corporate set and one for the rowdies.

I believe I heard booze will have to be purchased onsite but you can bring/cook your own food. Again subject to correction but taking the liquor laws into consideration the Argos' prime objective is to have a genuine tail gate experience replicating US college football.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:19 AM

Now we can see where the synergies of (partial) MLSE ownership come into play. CFL promos air and Esks QB Mike Reilly was interviewed during the Raptor's game.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
My understanding from past utterances (subject to correction) is that there will be three tail gate experiences. One for kids/families, one for the corporate set and one for the rowdies.

I believe I heard booze will have to be purchased onsite but you can bring/cook your own food. Again subject to correction but taking the liquor laws into consideration the Argos' prime objective is to have a genuine tail gate experience replicating US college football.
You are correct - http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/16...l-new-branding

Quote:
The one attraction the Boatmen are really banking on is tailgating, which will be allowed in areas around BMO Field this season.

The only catch is it isn’t BYOB due to Ontario liquor laws. Beer will be sold at “very fair prices,” according to Copeland, and patrons are allowed to bring their own food and barbecues. There will be areas for games of catch and other attractions.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
It had me going when I heard about it on the Sportscage. Well played by Dyakowski and I tip my hat to him.
That he punked Jamie Nye is just icing on the cake!!
Genius

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:02 PM

Apparently this is what Rider season ticket holders are receiving for their final season at Mosaic Stadium. Saw this on Riderfans

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/attac...chmentid=14026

What a nice touch by the organization. I have to admit to being a little jealous. I also wonder why the Bomber organization couldn't give long suffering season ticker holders something similar when the move was made to Investors Group Field especially when you consider the awful on-field product the fans have had to put up with the past 7 years.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:29 AM

^ Can you describe it for the benefit of those of us who are not riderfans.com members?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada