HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:14 AM
self-important urbanista

Van Buren will remain open. From the comments on the Instagram post shared above:

apweiss85
Are you guys closing the one on Van Buren
4h1 likeReply

state48brewery
@apweiss85 nope. Keeping it open. This will be a different concept. But still all our beer.

The photo shows the Arrogant Butcher. The former Tilted Kilt space is above it, so I'm guessing that's where the new place will go. State 48 has been rapidly expanding over the past few years, and the pandemic hasn't seemed to slow them down. I hope all the growth is sustainable.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:30 AM

Rode around on my bike tonight, nice night, even though the daily highs are insane for this time of year. Paz is finally back open inside and seemed busy with music playing, Fez is finally open, Match in the Fondre hotel, Copper Blues is open. Almost everything! Vig as well, The Church Hill is opening October 9th. Hope everything makes it, hopefully going into the busy winter months, if another stimulus goes through, I think we could have a booming winter especially if the Suns can start filling their new arena in January! If Biden gets in I hope it doesn’t hurt the economy, And small business is taken care of.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Rode around on my bike tonight, nice night, even though the daily highs are insane for this time of year. Paz is finally back open inside and seemed busy with music playing, Fez is finally open, Match in the Fondre hotel, Copper Blues is open. Almost everything! Vig as well, The Church Hill is opening October 9th. Hope everything makes it, hopefully going into the busy winter months, if another stimulus goes through, I think we could have a booming winter especially if the Suns can start filling their new arena in January! If Biden gets in I hope it doesn’t hurt the economy, And small business is taken care of.
Phoenix is on a growth path that federal politics will have very little impact on. If California was about to get sane state government that would be a bigger concern for our growth.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:58 AM

Little O’s (OHSO) opened up today!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:44 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Little O’s (OHSO) opened up today!

Glad to hear that. Roses by the Stairs, the brewery that plans to locate next door in the old Easley's fun shop building, has been running into some neighborhood opposition.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Glad to hear that. Roses by the Stairs, the brewery that plans to locate next door in the old Easley's fun shop building, has been running into some neighborhood opposition.
I’m curious why the neighborhood opposition?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 11:25 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I’m curious why the neighborhood opposition?
The usual: traffic, parking, noise, too many liquor licenses nearby. It was enough to convince the city council to recommend against a liquor license. That means it will be decided by the state.

https://youtu.be/TbRTkBfAl4Q?t=420

Last edited by exit2lef; Oct 3, 2020 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 1:55 AM

So apparently Paz is called The Golden Margarita now. Anyone know the story behind this? Is it the same owner with a new concept? Or did someone buy or something? They’re really seeming to turn into a sports bar gathering place with music, maybe like a El Hefe but a little smaller. Checked out the menu, basically more like a wings, burgers and tacos spot. Three street tacos for $9.00, not bad.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 12:24 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
So apparently Paz is called The Golden Margarita now. Anyone know the story behind this? Is it the same owner with a new concept? Or did someone buy or something? They’re really seeming to turn into a sports bar gathering place with music, maybe like a El Hefe but a little smaller. Checked out the menu, basically more like a wings, burgers and tacos spot. Three street tacos for $9.00, not bad.
I don't know the details on the latest change, but Paz had already gone through changes in ownership and approach over the last few years. Even before this new name, it barely resembled the original Paz that was in the old building at that site.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I don't know the details on the latest change, but Paz had already gone through changes in ownership and approach over the last few years. Even before this new name, it barely resembled the original Paz that was in the old building at that site.
Yeah, so I went to watch the Cardinals game Sunday morning and apparently somebody that owns a bunch of bars in Scottsdale bought it out.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 12:38 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Yeah, so I went to watch the Cardinals game Sunday morning and apparently somebody that owns a bunch of bars in Scottsdale bought it out.
That makes sense. With the bottle service and spaces for large groups, it definitely has a Scottsdale feel.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 1:41 PM

Disappointing. Paz seemed like it was focused a bit on authenticity, guess that's out th window.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Disappointing. Paz seemed like it was focused a bit on authenticity, guess that's out th window.
Authenticity went out the window when they cut ties with Michael Reyes. They tried to recreate the space, food, art, culture, and programming as the original space but it never materialized. Food wasn't that great and the space is/was probably better suited for a sports bar type vibe. My 2 cents. It was never the same, my response is probably more nostalgic than anything.

I love the density/apartments that went in its place but man, we lost a good one in the process.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:13 PM

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...ROwobwbA6-ckxg

Not downtown but Helio Basin Brewery is closing and Tombstone Brewery is quickly replacing it. Never had a chance to check out Helio Basin though I’ve seen their beers on tap around the Valley.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:15 AM

I drove past 7th Ave and McDowell earlier tonight, where I saw the lights were on for the space that used to be Side Bar (above Pei Wei). Anyone know what's coming there?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds View Post
I drove past 7th Ave and McDowell earlier tonight, where I saw the lights were on for the space that used to be Side Bar (above Pei Wei). Anyone know what's coming there?
New owners I heard wanting to maintain a cocktail bar concept, just not named Side Bar.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
New owners I heard wanting to maintain a cocktail bar concept, just not named Side Bar.
Nice! Thanks for the update. I can def. get behind that. It was a great spot.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:34 PM

Eegees!

This is exciting!! It’s about time (again)
https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...-in-the-valley

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:36 PM

Of all of the restaurants with a cult following Eegee's is the most puzzling to me.

What is the appeal? I've never been, but it looks like blimpie or subway disguised as carl's jr to me. Is it just people going ga ga over slushies?

Last edited by biggus diggus; Oct 16, 2020 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Of all of the restaurants with a cult following Eegee's is the most puzzling to me.

What is the appeal? I've never been, but it looks like blimpie or subway disguised as carl's jr to me. Is it just people going ga ga over slushies?
So I'm an Arizona alum, who was born and raised in Phoenix, where my first exposure to EeGees was when I went to school in Tucson. I'm there with you. I never understood the hoopla behind it. The food is pretty lackluster. Their signature thing is their flavor-of-the-month slushes. I honestly just don't get it? But, I'm all about supporting local.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest