HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 9:42 PM
Meh

Anyway, I like the vertical lines near the top. I don't know if the height has changed at all. The document notes it's 570 feet with 49 floors, but that's no doubt only to the main roof since the City of Austin exempts mechanical penthouses from height bonuses.

I did notice there does seem to be some design tweaks on the roof. There was a large box located west of the east mechanical screen (shown in the elevations) that is absent from the new rendering. So, there may be some changes up there heightwise.

On the issue of less sunlight around towers. Believe it or not, that's actually a good thing when you think of the way thermodynamics works. The clash of air masses of different temperatures makes those two move past each other as cool air is heavier than warm air. This is the reason you have wind during cold fronts. Buildings have been designed for a long time with breezeways built in to shade an area and to encourage wind to be channeled through that space to cool the building. It's actually more energy efficient than relying purely on HVAC systems.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 11:29 PM

This thing is sleek. It looks like something you'd see in Toronto or another more mature condo market. It definitely seems like our recent proposals have brought us up to a new level of quality.

And this is going to look crazy from north-bound I35

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 12:54 AM

With all of the coming density to this area, do you think the city will seriously look at a bridge from Rainey or Red River? Traffic is going to be absolutely impossible in that area (hell, it's already really bad). An artery going south is sorely needed.

I know a bridge has been shown in some of the south shore planning, but iirc it was only a pedestrian.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
With all of the coming density to this area, do you think the city will seriously look at a bridge from Rainey or Red River? Traffic is going to be absolutely impossible in that area (hell, it's already really bad). An artery going south is sorely needed.

I know a bridge has been shown in some of the south shore planning, but iirc it was only a pedestrian.

Wouldn't that just make Riverside the bottleneck? I don't see how a bridge south would help, given Travis Heights. Better access to I-35 I could see. A pedestrian bridge I am 100% behind, but let's do Pleasant Valley first!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:

This is going to be THE core problem in the Rainey district in the next 5-7 years as these projects all start to be completed. Traffic flow is going to be completely awful.

Not even sure how they fix it, to be honest. Rainey's the only major north south option, and as we've said, it doesn't even go all the way to Cesar Chavez. You can't really turn East into a full north south corridor because it's a one-way exit ramp from I-35 for much of its length.

I don't personally like it, but a bridge makes the most sense, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 2:52 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
This is going to be THE core problem in the Rainey district in the next 5-7 years as these projects all start to be completed. Traffic flow is going to be completely awful.

Not even sure how they fix it, to be honest. Rainey's the only major north south option, and as we've said, it doesn't even go all the way to Cesar Chavez. You can't really turn East into a full north south corridor because it's a one-way exit ramp from I-35 for much of its length.

I don't personally like it, but a bridge makes the most sense, IMO.
Changes in behaviors will help. Perhaps this isn't the best area to live for the person who insists on doing lots of single occupant vehicle trips. Meanwhile, those who seek out strong urbanity will be drawn here. Would love to see the grid finished in the area. Originally, Red River was to punch all the way down to River but somehow that all got turned into a surface parking lot for the MACC. Will be good to punch through the IHOP site and connect Rainey to Sabine. Millennium breaking the perfect alley didn't help but too bad on that one.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 3:46 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Changes in behaviors will help. Perhaps this isn't the best area to live for the person who insists on doing lots of single occupant vehicle trips. Meanwhile, those who seek out strong urbanity will be drawn here. Would love to see the grid finished in the area. Originally, Red River was to punch all the way down to River but somehow that all got turned into a surface parking lot for the MACC. Will be good to punch through the IHOP site and connect Rainey to Sabine. Millennium breaking the perfect alley didn't help but too bad on that one.
Agreed, fact is people will need to learn to walk or bike or use scooters as opposed to driving in that area. Use mass transit. That is the whole point of building up the core after all. We don't need to expand or add additional roadways. Look at Tokyo for example with huge residential areas and tiny roads. You don't see those clog up with traffic because most people walk or use mass transit.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 4:12 PM

You can pretty much guarantee at some point the new folks who end up living here will complain about access and traffic issues, knowing full well this is what they were signing up for.

It's like moving next to the airport or concert hall and complaining about the noise. "Did you really not anticipate this?"

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:20 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
You can pretty much guarantee at some point the new folks who end up living here will complain about access and traffic issues, knowing full well this is what they were signing up for.

It's like moving next to the airport or concert hall and complaining about the noise. "Did you really not anticipate this?"
Or the Westin next to Sixth Street. As if they expected the music venues to be quiet when they didn't properly soundproof.

People adapt and adjust over time.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post

People adapt and adjust over time.
ding, ding, ding....

The people who will live in Rainey will love it. It will be part of the reason they moved there. I have several clients/friends who live in the area, they all moved there BECAUSE it is "Rainey".

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
ding, ding, ding....

The people who will live in Rainey will love it. It will be part of the reason they moved there. I have several clients/friends who live in the area, they all moved there BECAUSE it is "Rainey".
Not every person that moves into these condos will go carless, and that will obviously affect commuters going into and out of downtown for work.

I do think a bridge could work. It could enter into the yet to be defined Statesman site with roads intersecting at congress/Barton Springs (where Barton Springs dead ends at Yeti) and another road hitting Riverside in Travis Heights.

Even if not, a pedestrian bridge would also help.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 9:33 PM

This is what I'm referring to. With the proposed south shore development and all of this Rainey activity, there HAS to be a connection somewhere. This would give access points from Congress, Barton Springs, and Riverside.

Last edited by futures; Mar 25, 2019 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 9:39 PM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 10:46 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
This is what I'm referring to. With the proposed south shore development and all of this Rainey activity, there HAS to be a connection somewhere. This would give access points from Congress, Barton Springs, and Riverside.

I like it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 10:50 PM

It would be cool if they built the bridge actually as squiggly as in your picture as some sort of art.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 10:53 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

I don't like the idea of building another road bridge over the river. One of the things that I love about the river is there are not a ton road bridges across it. Now a rail bridge is something I would like to see or another pedestrian bridge that is not some stupid pontoon bridge but something similar to Pfluger. Sure there will be people who have cars that will move into Rainey but the goal is for them to not need to use them often. That for the most part their day to day activities can be achieved by walking or mass transit.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I don't like the idea of building another road bridge over the river. One of the things that I love about the river is there are not a ton road bridges across it. Now a rail bridge is something I would like to see or another pedestrian bridge that is not some stupid pontoon bridge but something similar to Pfluger. Sure there will be people who have cars that will move into Rainey but the goal is for them to not need to use them often. That for the most part their day to day activities can be achieved by walking or mass transit.
This idealism just doesn't match reality though

A significant percentage of people living in these new buildings will take their cars to work and for errands. More importantly, Rainey along with E Cesar Chavez as a whole are big entertainment draws as well - so it's not just a rush hour concern. It will be a parking lot 24/7 within a quarter mile of here without improvements.

Plus the river creates choke points from Mopac all the way to Pleasant Valley. Any additional way to cross would be a practical relief for anyone going into, out of, or through downtown. Build the squiggly bridge!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 12:03 AM

You don't need a bridge to nowhere for Rainey cars. You just need to do the 35 improvements already identified.

Cars from Rainey could go NB or SB on 35 without ever waiting for a light once these and the Riverside improvements are done. Both Cesar and Riverside would have intersection bypass lanes that allow cars to get on the highway.

Unfortunately, no one knows when these are going to start or how much the design might change.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 12:03 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

With all the entertainment and bars, Uber & Lyft drivers will need better egress.

Squiggles, ftw.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 12:50 AM
Everywhere all at once

I could actually see such a bridge being built but landing on the Rainey side slightly southeast of the squiggly map above. It could then connect traffic to East Avenue, an perhaps a widened East could funnel traffic somewhat efficiently to I-35 and East Austin, almost direct from Rainey and by extension Congress and Riverside south of the river.

Build it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin