HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:39 PM

On the city council agenda for next week is the following:

Quote:
ITEM 9: Authorize negotiation and execution of an exclusive negotiation agreement with Aspen Heights Partners, for terms governing a master developer contract for the redevelopment of 1215 Red River and 606 East 12th, the former HealthSouth tract. MBE/WBE: This solicitation was reviewed for subcontracting opportunities in accordance with City Code Chapter 2-9B Minority Owned and Women Owned Business Enterprise Procurement Program. For the services required for this solicitation, there were no subcontracting opportunities; therefore, no subcontracting goals were established in this solicitation phase, but will be negotiated in the contracting phase.
https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do....cfm?id=350672

So -- looks like Aspen Heights was selected to redevelop the Health South buildings.

From the attachment:

Quote:
Our proposal promotes a compact and connected city though a strong mix of uses, and significant density on the site through the redevelopment of the existing Health-South Rehabilitation Hospital. The project will feature a 36-story apartment and condo tower with over 420,000 square feet of living space, which includes 348 apartment units and 160 condo units, a 15-story, 170,000 square foot office tower, with a 22,000 square foot programmed elevated plaza between the two carved out by the 12th Street Capital View Corridor and over 25,000 square feet of retail space.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:55 PM

Wow, those are nice.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:23 PM
クラブトクヨ

Looks great!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:03 PM
Meh

It's funny hearing the HLC complain about Block 150 on 12th Street when you realize what the Brackenridge Campus has the potential to look like in a decade. Potentially, there could be more than a dozen towers in that area at buildout. With these two, we're already at 6 including Alexan Waterloo, Symphony Square, Hotel Mirabeau, and Block 164. I could see up to 8 more being built there for a total of ~14 with how much room there is.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's funny hearing the HLC complain about Block 150 on 12th Street when you realize what the Brackenridge Campus has the potential to look like in a decade. Potentially, there could be more than a dozen towers in that area at buildout. With these two, we're already at 6 including Alexan Waterloo, Symphony Square, Hotel Mirabeau, and Block 164. I could see up to 8 more being built there for a total of ~14 with how much room there is.
And if Biden kicks up the federal transit funding the gold line LRT can come back into play with a stop on either Trinity or Red River serving both this development and the new medical schools.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:50 PM
Member since 2001

Outstanding. Another 300+ footer and more infill!

Anyone know who the architect is? Rhode Partners again?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboot View Post
outstanding. Another 300+ footer and more infill!

Anyone know who the architect is? Rhode partners again?
STG Design.

Nice find We vs us.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 11:12 PM

Here's an article from a couple weeks ago about 1215 Red River. Intracorp (44 East) was runner up and the 2033 fund (Block 164 and Block 167) & Gensler came in third.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...-redevelopment

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 11:13 PM

That’s how you do a blank wall! I dig it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 11:19 PM

1215 Red River is separate from the Brackenridge Campus. We could change the thread title to "Innovation District" or start a new thread for 1215 Red River. Any thoughts?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
1215 Red River is separate from the Brackenridge Campus. We could change the thread title to "Innovation District" or start a new thread for 1215 Red River. Any thoughts?
Innovation district sounds cool.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:07 AM

[DELETED]

I was trying to decide what that ghost tower is, and I think it's actually the Hotel Mirabeau (or whatever it's called these days). Definitely a nice cluster shaping up there.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I was trying to decide what that ghost tower is, and I think it's actually the Hotel Mirabeau (or whatever it's called these days). Definitely a nice cluster shaping up there.
I was wondering that too. The architect BOKA Powell changed the name to Waterloo Hotel on their website. But they didn't update the renderings to reflect that latest one filed with the Plan Review. The last start date info I saw was September 1st. But its back to unknown start now.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I was wondering that too. The architect BOKA Powell changed the name to Waterloo Hotel on their website. But they didn't update the renderings to reflect that latest one filed with the Plan Review. The last start date info I saw was September 1st. But its back to unknown start now.
At first I thought the ghost was Block 164, but I think that one's out of view, behind the larger of the two towers in that first rendering. Pretty much has to be Waterloo.

That hotel is so vexing. It's been in development (in this iteration) since at least mid 2015. Plenty of time to get moving in earnest. From what I'd heard about it back before the pandemic, it had solid funding, a brand commitment, and was pretty much ready to rock. I'm not sure I'm ready to count it out based on that intel . . . but the delays are definitely concerning.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 7:24 AM
Member since 2001

Looks like the initial name of 1215 Red River is "Park View Tower." At least that is what they are calling it in the current renderings.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 10:34 PM

Filed today. We knew it was coming, but it's good to see it on permits.

Quote:
This work is to demolish, and replace and realign the exiting intersection at MLK and Red River Street to the new alignment with Robert Dedman to the north of MLK.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=2019189

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:17 AM

Austin wants more time to consider Aspen Heights' proposed HealthSouth redevelopment -- Council members ask for more affordable units

Quote:
Plans for the redevelopment of the former HealthSouth property remain in flux.

A week after city staff recommended Aspen Heights Partners to redevelop the city-owned site east of the Texas State Capitol, Austin City Council has postponed entering into a negotiation agreement with the developer.

Council members said this week they wanted more time to look over the proposal, and members have already pointed to changes they want to see in the project, such as more affordable housing units and additional public-oriented uses. The item was postponed until the next planned Council meeting on Jan. 27.

[SNIP]

City officials believe the redevelopment of the old HealthSouth building could be a "catalyst" project for the northeast part of downtown — and a prime opportunity to create affordable housing in Central Austin.
Also...

Rendering from the vantage point of an elevated park facing the Texas Capitol that Aspen Heights Partners has proposed for city-owned land at 1215 Red River St.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 12:51 PM

This is just typical of this Council. They should have been clear up front what they wanted out of the deal before it hit the street. They treat every deal like a zoning negotiation (which is actually even more inappropriate to be negotiating on - but that is another story). If I was Aspen Heights, I'd walk on the deal, or at most, agree to be a fee developer only. Who would want to own a property constrained by all the social goodies they want to load up on it? Even if it was massively subsidized enough to pencil, it would be an ongoing liability to operate!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:04 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
This is just typical of this Council. They should have been clear up front what they wanted out of the deal before it hit the street. They treat every deal like a zoning negotiation (which is actually even more inappropriate to be negotiating on - but that is another story). If I was Aspen Heights, I'd walk on the deal, or at most, agree to be a fee developer only. Who would want to own a property constrained by all the social goodies they want to load up on it? Even if it was massively subsidized enough to pencil, it would be an ongoing liability to operate!
Honestly I like those "social constraints" I see nothing wrong with the city pushing for more public uses because after all, we the public should be able to have access and more interconnectivity to tie into the surrounding area and we desperately need affordable housing too. Developers shouldn't have cart blanch full control when this development will shape the entire northeast quadrant of DT Austin.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Honestly I like those "social constraints" I see nothing wrong with the city pushing for more public uses because after all, we the public should be able to have access and more interconnectivity to tie into the surrounding area and we desperately need affordable housing too. Developers shouldn't have cart blanch full control when this development will shape the entire northeast quadrant of DT Austin.
Who said anything about cart blanche?

The city put out an RFP asking for X, Y, and Z.

The developer came back with X, Y, Z _plus_ a public park/viewing platform.

If the council wanted more than x, y, z they should have asked for it originally.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin