HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Ps. meant 21c in my last post, not 5c
You were correct in the previous post - just a couple years early.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:25 PM

The river, the trees, that's what sets Austin apart from Dallas and Houston. They are both cities of tall and mostly beautiful skyscrapers densely packed surrounded by flat unattractive land and highways with some parks within. The types of skyscrapers within both those city's downtowns are true signature scrapers which separates those cities from Austin. I consider their buildings conventional. Austin is very eclectic and beginning to reach new heights. But it still suffers from second tier syndrome. We have a bunch of really nice buildings, and a bunch of stubby mehs. As long as we can get buildings like 5C, Republic, along with some of the nicer taller ones u/c, we can claim equality with Houston and Dallas on a skyline level. We're not there yet. We tend to line the river and Congress Avenue with our best, but until we start filling the gaps with 600' plus towers, we'll continue to have a really nice, but not great skyline. As far as San Antonio goes, it lacks a few tall glass shiny point towers, but I love that town just the way it is. Don't beat me up, these are just my opinions.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:34 PM
World Traveler

While I'm not a fan of the relative lack of topography (aka flatness) of DFW, I do like that you can see so many skylines from so many areas. For instance, when driving in the Lewisville/Carrollton area looking east, you can see a massive number of towers stretching from north to south, beginning at the Star in Frisco and ending with DT. It's prety impressive, actually.

That said, I think Dallas and Houston both have some older bones that Austin simply doesn't by virtue of most of its real growth being relatively newer. I'm not one to play city vs city....but obviously Austin wins. jk

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The river, the trees, that's what sets Austin apart from Dallas and Houston. They are both cities of tall and mostly beautiful skyscrapers densely packed surrounded by flat unattractive land and highways with some parks within. The types of skyscrapers within both those city's downtowns are true signature scrapers which separates those cities from Austin. I consider their buildings conventional. Austin is very eclectic and beginning to reach new heights. But it still suffers from second tier syndrome. We have a bunch of really nice buildings, and a bunch of stubby mehs. As long as we can get buildings like 5C, Republic, along with some of the nicer taller ones u/c, we can claim equality with Houston and Dallas on a skyline level. We're not there yet. We tend to line the river and Congress Avenue with our best, but until we start filling the gaps with 600' plus towers, we'll continue to have a really nice, but not great skyline. As far as San Antonio goes, it lacks a few tall glass shiny point towers, but I love that town just the way it is. Don't beat me up, these are just my opinions.
Yep. Exactly this. I agree.
Lived in SA for a few years. I hope it doesn't change. I love their downtown the way it is. It doesn't need tall glass buildings.
Austin isn't on Dallas or houston's level yet but give it 5-10 years and it will be.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Totalllllly agree with all of this! SA's skyline is iconic. It would be a travesty is say, Tower Life was covered by some stupid ass shake-n-bake condo project.

I think we'll get those 600' + projects that will propel us even further in that realm.

ATX: Do you mean 5C will meet the same fate as 21C???!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin