HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 6:16 PM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 9:50 PM

at the end of the day this is houston vs. paris thread.....for me houston has a better skyline than paris's ladefence but not paris as a whole..i think
because houston has that extra height and la defence needs some
height because it looks like a wall from the distance thus giving
it a stumpy look.......but i think ladefence may surpass houston in the
future .....my view.....i liked this thread for some reason

also i really got to know a little bit about this american city.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 6:11 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I never said I hated southern cities. I just am not in love with lower density newer cities. That's my opinion. They are still good places to raise a family and have fun, but it's not my style Ok. I am not trying to start a huge argument. I may have gone a little overboard because I was tired and cranky when I typed it, but no offense. I actually do like Houston (especially before all of those Katrina thug/section8 people moved there), but I am not saying the quality of life in many southern cities is bad. They are getting progressively better in terms of density and architecture, mass transit and so on. They are also becoming more progressive/liberal, but it is not turning most of the states blue because of the large swaths of conservative areas. Hopefully that changes like it did in North Carolina and Virginia.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
which could be construed as "similar" to Houston's built form...

(Carol M. Highsmith... http://www.factmonster.com/us/histor...sco-tower.html)
This pic of Williams Tower & Uptown has got to be at least 10 years old. The area doesn't even look the same, there are so many more buildings now with less parking lots & grass. Also 610 has been worked over significantly.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 2:22 PM

The most recent pictures of the Paris La Défense skyline, with the Axa Tower under reconstruction to the right of the cluster (it is now the tallest skyscraper in La Défense).

PS: note that the outlying tower to the right in the first picture is not the Montparnasse Tower. It's the Concorde La Fayette Tower. All the pictures were actually taken by Sinha from the top of the Montparnasse Tower, which is why it doesn't appear in the pictures.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 4:19 PM

I think is nonsense trying to compare this two cities..just because la defense looks modern doesn't mean you can compare with houston. Bad choice of cities..there is nothing to comparable btw these two cities.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 10:30 PM

How could someone compar Paris...

to this.
-------------->

Flickr Highway6

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 10:45 PM

exactly^^^^
and thats only 2 skylines of the big 3 we have.....

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 10:55 PM

The low rise density in Paris is just crazy, but its also a much older city so what do you expect, Houston is a young city in comparison. Nothing in Paris except the Eiffel Tower can compare to Houston's sheer height. The little cluster of buildings shown is about the same size as Houston's 3rd tallest skyline, the Texas Medical Center.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
I never said I hated southern cities. I just am not in love with lower density newer cities. That's my opinion. They are still good places to raise a family and have fun, but it's not my style Ok. I am not trying to start a huge argument. I may have gone a little overboard because I was tired and cranky when I typed it, but no offense. I actually do like Houston (especially before all of those Katrina thug/section8 people moved there), but I am not saying the quality of life in many southern cities is bad. They are getting progressively better in terms of density and architecture, mass transit and so on. They are also becoming more progressive/liberal, but it is not turning most of the states blue because of the large swaths of conservative areas. Hopefully that changes like it did in North Carolina and Virginia.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.
Good to hear... but please... get RID of your Ray Miller's HOUSTON book. It was written before I was even born, and Houston no longer looks like that. There's never any problem with sharing your opinion on this site, but just remember that what you say creates a finite image from someone else about that city and community, and it may not always be true.

I have no interest in saying negative things about great cities like Pittsburgh. We all know that Pittsburgh has had its ups and downs, but it is far from being a "dying" rust-belt city. It is in fact being used as an example for all industrial-based communities when it hosts the G8 summit next year.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 12:11 AM

Since the original purpose of this thread was to show how similar the two skylines appeared in the original post, I will comment on that and say that the similarity in those two pictures is impressive, regardless of the obvious differences between the two cities.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 12:32 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Good to hear... but please... get RID of your Ray Miller's HOUSTON book. It was written before I was even born, and Houston no longer looks like that. There's never any problem with sharing your opinion on this site, but just remember that what you say creates a finite image from someone else about that city and community, and it may not always be true.

I have no interest in saying negative things about great cities like Pittsburgh. We all know that Pittsburgh has had its ups and downs, but it is far from being a "dying" rust-belt city. It is in fact being used as an example for all industrial-based communities when it hosts the G8 summit next year.
Sorry to cause any problems. I actually could name tons of cities that Houston is better than. It's not a bad place. Has lots of amentities just in a lower density environment. Houston does have one of the better downtowns in the country. I was very impressed. I was up in the observation deck at the Chase Tower, too. I have a lot of pictures. The city is getting better all of the time, unlike some cities that are regressing (we all know the ones). I could name more postives too, but I think you get the point by now.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyeth View Post
These types of comparisons continually reaffirm my core belief that skyscrapers are nothing to truly write home about.
If you believe that why would you join a site called skyscraperpage?

That first pic shows what an impressive and usually overlooked skyline Paris has. One of our city councillors here in Victoria once said, "Paris has no tall buildings" at which point, not surprisingly, some laughed at her. Yes, these are the kind of people we have as civic leaders in Victoria. I believe that Paris' skyline is more impressive and has better architecture than Houston's, even if Paris' buildings aren't as tall.

The one thing the two cities have in common? They both stuck huge towers (Maine Montparnasse in Paris and the Williams Tower in Houston), outside their CBD's so they both got deprived of an important part of their skylines.

New Brisavoine, good job. You have made a compelling argument in comparing two cities that are completely different.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Sep 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
The one thing the two cities have in common? They both stuck huge towers (Maine Montparnasse in Paris and the Williams Tower in Houston), outside their CBD's so they both got deprived of an important part of their skylines.completely different.
How is Houston deprived because it has a 900 ft. tall buildings located several miles away from its CBD? I find it quite amazing a city like Houston can have such large multiple skylines & lonely skyscrapers scattered all over the 500+ sq mi landscape. Everywhere you look in Houston you see tall buildings, not just in one confined area like most cities.

Houston's 2nd tallest building in Uptown & near the Williams Tower, San Felipe Plaza is 650 ft. tall. It tends to get over looked though because of its location in Uptown right next to residential neighborhoods, a school, & church.

Last edited by Metro Matt; Sep 7, 2009 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
How is Houston deprived because it has a 900 ft. tall buildings located several miles away from its CBD? I find it quite amazing a city like Houston can have such large multiple skylines & lonely skyscrapers scattered all over the 500+ sq mi landscape. Everywhere you look in Houston you see tall buildings, not just in one confined area like most cities.

Houston's 2nd tallest building in Uptown & near the Williams Tower, San Felipe Plaza is 650 ft. tall. It tends to get over looked though because of its location in Uptown right next to residential neighborhoods, a school, & church.
what i took from it is that their main skylines got deprived of such a tall/prestigious buildings. Have you imagined how DT Houston would look with another 900 footer?

But then we couldn't really have such an awesome 2nd skyline that makes other cities jealous.....

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 3:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
How could someone compar Paris...

to this.
-------------->

Flickr Highway6
You picked a bad photo to make a point.

That being said, I agree with others that this whole comparison is ludicrous. These are two very different places.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 4:24 AM
Closed account

Quote:

Well said. It turns out that I actually have Ray Miller's book!! It's incredibly outdated.

By the way, about a month ago I had a discussion with an associate who works with some of Houston's city leaders and I told him how annoyed and senstive I had become with the continuous negative comments from forumers here, many of whom have never been to Houston, or if they have, they've never explored the city in any depth. My friend made a point that helped me a lot...that is, the vast majority of people in the country (and world) don't read this forum's threads, and thus the threads have little impact on people's impressions. Also, his experience in working with newcomers is that they're by and large happy, and just don't care whether a sidewalk is 9 feet wide, or that the view flying into Hobby Airport isn't stunning, or that Chinatown has too many strip centers (they do care that the food is good in Chinatown!). Most wouldn't even be able to identify William's Tower by name, and would be bored by talk of architecture. So whenever I get annoyed at someone's comments, I try to remember that conversation to help put things in perspective.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I find it quite amazing a city like Houston can have such large multiple skylines & lonely skyscrapers scattered all over the 500+ sq mi landscape. Everywhere you look in Houston you see tall buildings, not just in one confined area like most cities.
You made my point by contradicting yourself. You can't have tall buildings everywhere if they are lonely and scattered all over the place. The overwhelming majority of land in Houston has no skyscrapers. It's too bad too because Houston would almost give Chicago's skyline a run for it's money if the CBD were focused instead of spread out over a huge area. Southmore got my point exactly, Williams is a towering beauty that belongs downtown, not out in the suburbs. The same with Maine Montparnasse in Paris.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Sep 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 5:18 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
It's too bad too because Houston would almost be able to give Chicago's skyline a run for it's money if the CBD were focused instead of spread out over a huge area
Not quite. According to Emporis, Houston has around 365 buildings completed and under construction. Chicago, on the other hand, has 1,138 buildings completed and under construction. Having said that, I still do like Houston's skyline.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
You picked a bad photo to make a point.

That being said, I agree with others that this whole comparison is ludicrous. These are two very different places.
Why do you say its a bad photo? Is it because of the power lines and billboards?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos