HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:34 AM

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Couple of weeks ago...(June 1, 2014)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 6:52 AM
Mr. Technology

Considering that this tower was designed with a waterfall effect, I wonder if there will be a real waterfall inside?

I can think of several iconic towers in Manhattan that have waterfalls!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 7:08 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 1:25 AM
Registered Bldng Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Couple of weeks ago...(June 1, 2014)

Awesome, awesome design and pics....thanks for posting!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 2:53 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Of all the recent pics so far, this one by NYguy is my fav!

The rich architecture of the surrounding buildings actually help make One57 stand out even more!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:41 AM

(Photo by me)

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 6:21 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...at-one57-tower

NYC’s First Five-Star Hotel in Decade Seen at One57 Tower

Plans for the Park Hyatt call for 210 guest rooms starting at $795 a night, spa-treatment suites with private balconies, and amenities such as an indoor pool with underwater speakers that pipe in music from neighboring Carnegie Hall.

By Heather Perlberg
July 01, 2014

Quote:
Hyatt Hotels Corp. (H:US) is seeking to make its Park Hyatt New York, opening next month at the base of the ultra-luxury One57 condominium tower, Manhattan’s first new five-star hotel in more than a decade.

The 25-floor property is making its debut on West 57th Street in the area known as Billionaires Row for its residential skyscrapers with apartments costing tens of millions of dollars. Plans for the Park Hyatt call for 210 guest rooms starting at $795 a night, spa-treatment suites with private balconies, and amenities such as an indoor pool with underwater speakers that pipe in music from neighboring Carnegie Hall.

Hyatt is seeking a competitive edge in Manhattan, where it already operates seven properties, none rated five stars, said Steve Haggerty, global head of real estate and capital strategy for the Chicago-based company. The new Park Hyatt would be the city’s first hotel with the coveted distinction since 2003, when the Mandarin Oriental opened in the nearby Time Warner Center. Since then, most growth in the city’s lodging market has been in the select-service category, hotels that offer few amenities and cost less to operate.

“There’s a fairly deep demand for this level of luxury,” Haggerty said in an interview from a suite on the Park Hyatt’s eighth floor. “It’s very difficult to replicate in New York City, and there’s a certain barrier to entry.”

Just six hotels that are considered luxury have opened in New York in the past five years, according to lodging-research firm STR Inc. That compares with 51 projects in the three lower-tier categories, which comprise such select-service brands as Holiday Inn, Best Western and Super 8.

New York was the most expensive U.S. city to stay in this year through May, with rooms costing an average of $241 a night, STR data show. Luxury hotels citywide led the nation in occupancy with a rate of 89.4 percent in May, meaning they sold nine out of 10 rooms every night.

New York’s lodging industry also has been expanding faster than the nationwide pace, with 74 new hotels and more than 13,500 rooms opening since 2006, according to NYC & Co., the city’s marketing and tourism website. About 15,000 more rooms are expected in the next three years, bringing the total to more than 107,000.

“New York City is just hot,” said Jan Freitag, senior vice president at Hendersonville, Tennessee-based STR. “It’s expensive and is at this perfect intersection of transient business demand, group and leisure, and international demand. Everyone wants to come to New York.”

The Park Hyatt will be on the lower levels of Extell Development Co.’s One57 condo tower, Manhattan’s second-tallest residential building at 1,004 feet (306 meters). Hyatt and Extell spent an average of $1.8 million a room constructing the hotel, according to Bhalla.

The rooms, ranging from 475 to 2,239 square feet (44 to 208 square meters), were designed to resemble high-end apartments, with floor-to-ceiling windows and wood flooring. Bathrooms are stocked with products by boutique perfumery Le Labo and the mirrors have television screens. Two restaurants, The Back Room at One57 and The Living Room, will be run by chef Sam Hazen, formerly of New York’s Veritas. Walls of a ballroom are covered with 26 tons of back-lit white onyx.

The hotel will be the 34th worldwide and sixth in North America under the Park Hyatt brand, which is the top tier for the company. A five-star property is “a missing component of Park Hyatt’s network,” said Daniel Lesser, chief executive officer of New York-based LW Hospitality Advisors.

“Their guests travel to world capitals and when they come to New York, they want a five-star hotel,” he said. “Hyatt doesn’t want them staying at the Four Seasons and liking it.”

http://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/midtow...t/review/45511

Info & Ratings - One57 Review

byCarter Horsley

Quote:
The mixed-use, mid-block tower known as One57 at 157 West 57th Street was completed in 2014 as the first of several “super-tall” buildings near the south end of Central Park.

It was built by Extell Development and designed by Christian de Portzamparc.

The building is 1,004 feet tall and contains 92 condominium apartments, 65 rental apartments, and a 210-room Park Hyatt Hotel in its base. Thomas Juul-Hanson did the interiors for the apartments and Yabu Pushelberg designed the hotel portion of the building.

A startling sliver that blocks many of the north vistas from the three tall skyscrapers clustered to its south near Carnegie Hall on 57th and 56th Streets, the north side of this building, which partially extends to 58th Street, offers the most central views of Fifth Avenue and Central Park West from the south end of Central Park.

The glass tower is distinguished by its rippled canopies and numerous setbacks on 57th Street, its mottled fenestration patterns, its curved tops, its extreme verticality and its “scoops” facing the park that recall an ocean liner’s ventilation piping.

The top “scoop” existed only during construction and when the building was finished it was replaced by a protruding and symmetrical, staggered cascade of vertical strips in pairs of 10 descending lengths, a very elegant logo that apparently was not employed elsewhere in the building.

The building relates to nothing on 57th Street, except perhaps for a glittering sequin evening gown for the world’s tallest and skinniest model at Bergdorf Goodman nearby on Fifth Avenue.

Like many tall, mixed-use towers, its exterior does not indicate where uses change and, more importantly, the numbering of its residential floors is unique as the top floor is called 90 even though it is actually the 75th floor, or probably the 73rd floor. (At more than a thousand feet, of course, it could conceivably have an even higher number.)

According to documents on file with the city, the hotel occupies most of the bottom 18 floors and the 19th floor is mechanical. The 20th floor is a fitness center for the hotel and the 21st floor is a library and fitness center for the residential section of the building. Apartments begin at the 22nd floor and the 47th floor is also set aside for mechanical equipment. Floors 48 through 57 have two apartments each and higher floors have one apartment.

The building’s façades are patterned vertically, adding to its domineering presence. The fenestration patterns, moreover, conjure crossword puzzles and while not random they impart an added sense of motion.

Imagine, if you will, a moon-bound rocket initially lifting off from Cape Canaveral.

The building is “L”-shaped in plan with a much longer frontage on 57th Street than 58th Street.

Viewed from the north, the northern section of the tower rises, indeed soars, straight up without setbacks.

The building’s height is several hundred feet taller than the buildings on Central Park South and a couple of hundred feet above the very tall towers clustered around Carnegie Hall to the south as well as the Time-Warner Center on Columbus Circle to the west.

The building has a ballroom and many master bathrooms have glass-enclosed bathtub rooms that are flanked by his and her vanity stations with large windows.

The building has a screening and performance room with 24 very wide and plush leather seats with adjoining tables.

It also has a library and billiard room, 24-hour doormen and concierge, a garage, a bicycle room, a three-story-high pool room with marble walls, catering and room service and housekeeping service, a business center, an arts and crafts atelier room, a “discreet” 58th Street entrance and a pet-washing room.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:10 AM
Desert Dweller

I enjoyed watching this skyscraper go up, One57 is truly a game changer and will forever be the first of these next generation midtown skyscrapers. I finally got to see this building in person a few weeks ago and I have mixed feelings about it. To my surprise, the tiled facade on the east and west faces came off as a little cheap to me, maybe if it just wasn't so repetitive. The dark glass on the crown is awkward and I just don't understand it, I was hoping it would grow on me but it just looks like a mistake. Despite the issues I have with the facade, theres no denying that One 57 soars. You can see it peeking over buildings from all over city. It is without a doubt an excellent addition to the skyline!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 2:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...ury-smackdown/

Residential smackdown: The gleaming new condo towers that are edging out yesterday’s “it” towers
A match-up of Manhattan developments like One57 and 56 Leonard and the buildings they’re replacing

July 01, 2014
By Mark Maurer

Quote:
One57 vs. Time Warner Center

While many consider One57 to be the prime successor to 15 Central Park West, sources told TRD that its most direct elder rival might be the Time Warner Center, based on sheer proximity. Extell’s 90-story, 57th-Street skyscraper is rising just blocks from Related Companies’ twin 80-story Time Warner Center, which opened at Columbus Circle in 2004.

Four times between 2003 and 2009, the city’s priciest condo sale of the year was at the Time Warner Center, including a $43 million sale in 2003.

But the building hasn’t claimed the priciest sale in the city in four years. Meanwhile, the 94-unit One57 — which launched sales in 2011 and is expected to open later this year — has two units in contract for more than $90 million, which would be a New York City condo-sale record.

Some Time Warner Center owners may even be trading up into One57. Last month, a couple who lives on the 69th floor of the Time Warner Center’s Mandarin Oriental hotel paid $19.1 million for a condo on the 50th floor of One57, property records show. Yu-Ting and Yu-Wen Huang declined to comment on whether they plan to unload their Time Warner pad. Corcoran Group broker Carrie Chiang, who represented the Huangs in their Mandarin Oriental purchase, declined to comment about whether they plan to list their current home.

A change in developers’ tactics in recent years may also be drawing high-end buyers to new buildings like One57.

Nikki Field of Sotheby’s International Realty said several of her clients residing at the Time Warner Center, as well as across the street at Trump International Hotel & Tower and 15 Central Park West, have opted to upgrade to One57. When those older buildings arrived on the scene, many buyers expected to replace all the finishes, she said.

“Developers delivered moderate quality and low-cost finishes with the understanding that they would be replaced with personalized finishes,” Field said. But now, “in this era of 2014 billionaire buildings, purchasers often do not have the time and patience to rebuild a new home. Few will tolerate another year of customization time and they expect, demand and are paying for high-quality finishes.”

There are other factors as well. The Time Warner Center offers amenities shared by both the guests at the Mandarin Oriental and the condo owners, whereas at One57 residents will have access to a 20,000-square-foot amenities floor (including a 65-foot pool and aquarium), separate from the niceties available to guests at the building’s Park Hyatt hotel, said Elliman broker Toni Haber, who has sold units in some of the city’s toniest buildings.

Still, brokers say the Time Warner Center has several key features that will ensure it doesn’t lose its luster among über-wealthy buyers, such as its south-facing views and smaller floor plans. “A lot of buildings [like One57 or 432 Park] are not making the two-bedrooms or smaller units available that you do find at Time Warner,” said Brown Harris Stevens broker Kathy Sloane.

In addition, in 2011, Related revamped the four-story indoor mall portion of Time Warner.

Haber said resales at the Time Warner Center are “doing fantastic.” A five-bedroom condo sold for $30 million in March, while a three-bedroom closed for $15 million in April, according to StreetEasy.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I enjoyed watching this skyscraper go up, One57 is truly a game changer and will forever be the first of these next generation midtown skyscrapers. I finally got to see this building in person a few weeks ago and I have mixed feelings about it. To my surprise, the tiled facade on the east and west faces came off as a little cheap to me, maybe if it just wasn't so repetitive. The dark glass on the crown is awkward and I just don't understand it, I was hoping it would grow on me but it just looks like a mistake. Despite the issues I have with the facade, theres no denying that One 57 soars. You can see it peeking over buildings from all over city. It is without a doubt an excellent addition to the skyline!
Agreed. The overall massing, north and south facades look great, but the east and west "pixelated" facades look tacky in my opinion. Thankfully they will be mostly obscured by neighboring towers... if all goes according to plan.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 5:47 AM
New Yorker for life

The crown needs to be lit so this beauty can have its proper shine on the skyline...

cometoseemerganser

RLE88

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 3, 2014 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 7:05 PM

gorgeous

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 7:07 PM

new york finally getting some peaks again!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 12:24 AM
BANNED

The Conde Nast Antenna is ugly though. The skyline would look better without it. Seriously, too many spires spoil the broth. especially industrial brand spires. Can't wait until they dismantle that eyesore.

Last edited by aquablue; Jul 6, 2014 at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 2:45 AM

Moving In, Slowly, to ‘Billionaires’ Row’
Manhattan Luxury High-Rise Gets Its First Residents

Quote:
As soon as Linda Phillips and her husband heard about One57, a luxury 90-story skyscraper that is nearing completion on West 57th Street, they raced from the pied-à-terre they rented at the Time Warner Center across Columbus Circle to take a look.

The couple, empty-nesters who also own a home in Saddle River, N.J., eventually plunked down $30.4 million for a three-bedroom four-and-a-half-bath apartment, with floor-to-ceiling windows facing onto Central Park. Their lease at the Time Warner Center ends in September, and they may sell their New Jersey home to live full time in the building.

“With beautiful views and just a block from Bergdorf’s, I think it doesn’t get any better,” said Mrs. Phillips, an interior designer.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/re...ref=realestate

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 4:51 AM
BANNED

Awesome. 1 block from Bergdorfs. I bet that seals the deal for many of these folks. Just one block more and they would probably decline to buy, given the importance of that store to their lives. I mean, when you can walk 1 block to get some Dior and back in a jiffy, without dealing with the riff raff, who needs that other place over there, on CPW. Ha, suckers.

Last edited by aquablue; Jul 6, 2014 at 7:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 2:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
As soon as Linda Phillips and her husband heard about One57, a luxury 90-story skyscraper that is nearing completion on West 57th Street, they raced from the pied-à-terre they rented at the Time Warner Center across Columbus Circle to take a look.

The couple, empty-nesters who also own a home in Saddle River, N.J., eventually plunked down $30.4 million for a three-bedroom four-and-a-half-bath apartment, with floor-to-ceiling windows facing onto Central Park. Their lease at the Time Warner Center ends in September, and they may sell their New Jersey home to live full time in the building.

Aahhh, the luxuries. You know, it's not that New York hasn't had luxury before. Far from it. But something about these new towers (besides the view) seem to feed off each other, generating more buzz than they would if there were just one single tower. I wonder what they'll be saying about the Nordstrom, the one that will be king of 57th.

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/tag/one57

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/758...14485_13357969

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/742...230_1368675412

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/737...707676_2275853

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 9:41 AM
Mr. Technology

Must be nice to be rich.
I wouldn't know.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 11:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Older, back in the days of dominance...

http://streeteasy.com/building/tower-67

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive