HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
I wonder if Macy's will stay in that location for very long, without the mall.
Macy's is not going anywhere. It's a busy location. If anything, it's been carrying what was left of the dead mall for years. It pretty much stands on it's own and does well. And from the city people I've talked to, they say Macy's is very excited about the arena and surrounding development. So they welcome this transition.

I have to agree with those that consider the architecture of Macy's ugly and unfriendly. I'm sure there are a few people out there who love this style, but it seems to be very few.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:09 PM
Hindrance to Development

I'm not as enthusiastic about mid-century modern architecture as some of my friends, but it's a bit of a stretch to claim that one style of architecture or another is more likely to attract urine. People pee on brand-new buildings too. And, as jbradway mentions, the building's architecture hasn't deterred customers from spending their money. It just seems like sprucing up the existing exterior, and using other means to deter urination (security, cameras, blocking off corners where one can micturate without observation) might be cheaper and simpler than a total building re-facade.

Via the SacMod Flickr page:

It's a nice-looking modernist building, designed by John S. Bolles, and the ground floor was apparently more open with display windows to create a more visually appealing ground floor. So there's no reason why it couldn't be reopened when it is disengaged from the rest of the mall. There were elements of Brutalist architecture in the mall, also designed by Bolles, but those portions are already demolished. The term "brutalist" derives from its use of exposed concrete, and typically they are architecturally simpler and plainer than this building. The delicate arches overhanging the roof, the arched canopies over the entrance, the use of patterned stone, all indicate a more refined Modernist approach than later brutalism--a style that also has its own time and place, good examples and bad, but that's not what we're seeing here.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 6:56 PM

Why is it that when certain people post replies I feel like I'm back in school? Trouble is I know most of material already.

So does anyone know the current schedule with the arena? Like when demo is expected to finish up.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 10:57 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Why is it that when certain people post replies I feel like I'm back in school? Trouble is I know most of material
Because he thinks he's a teacher

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Why is it that when certain people post replies I feel like I'm back in school? Trouble is I know most of material already.

So does anyone know the current schedule with the arena? Like when demo is expected to finish up.
Soon.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:44 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Well, there are a lot of folks here who need to get schooled. And class is in session, know-it-alls!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
Soon.
I was around the site this morning. Amazing to see. So what's the next step? I forgot the plans. Is the arena going to sit above the existing underground parking garage? Or is that going to demo'd as well?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I was around the site this morning. Amazing to see. So what's the next step? I forgot the plans. Is the arena going to sit above the existing underground parking garage? Or is that going to demo'd as well?
The "underground" parking garage is already gone. Remember the streets are raised in Downtown so what you are seeing there now is the original level of the earth. So where the Arena will meet the street is already 15 or so feet above the bottom floor. I don't believe they are going to/able to go further below the ground.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:26 AM
Hindrance to Development

Aren't they keeping a portion of the underground garage, about 1000 spaces, for use by the team/VIPs? The building closest to 7th between J and K (the 24 hour fitness) has underground parking and isn't being demolished.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:31 AM

Looks like the last of the demo is at hand. Some small areas to clean up and finish the sorting and haul off the rubble, metals, etc. It looks like they have been digging trenches for the dewatering in the areas where demo was finished weeks ago.

The finished excavation is to be about 5 feet below the former bottom level garage. Part of the 2 level parking under the old Mens Macy's and next to the Marshall & 630 K buildings will remain. That is supposed to be VIP and team parking. The practice facility and team offices will be built on top of that parking. The main arena will not have any parking underneath.

I imagine if we are going to see a groundbreaking, it shouldn't be much longer.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
Looks like the last of the demo is at hand. Some small areas to clean up and finish the sorting and haul off the rubble, metals, etc. It looks like they have been digging trenches for the dewatering in the areas where demo was finished weeks ago.

The finished excavation is to be about 5 feet below the former bottom level garage. Part of the 2 level parking under the old Mens Macy's and next to the Marshall & 630 K buildings will remain. That is supposed to be VIP and team parking. The practice facility and team offices will be built on top of that parking. The main arena will not have any parking underneath.

I imagine if we are going to see a groundbreaking, it shouldn't be much longer.
Maybe they will hold official groundbreaking on October 29th, the same day as the Kings season opener.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:47 AM

still demo'ing underground concrete storm sewer pipes......there was a lot of that!!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Maybe they will hold official groundbreaking on October 29th, the same day as the Kings season opener.
Good guess! http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cit...le3346910.html

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 11:42 PM

Building for sale on K Street envisioned as 'arena gateway' re-use

Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer-
Sacramento Business Journal

The five-story building at 630 K St. in Sacramento is on the market, with the listing broker saying the idea is for a new buyer to reposition it as a retail/entertainment use alongside the new downtown arena.
George Eckard, executive director at Cushman & Wakefield's San Francisco office, said the 85,153-square-foot building is too well located to not consider going a different way.

"We think there are some great opportunities down there," Eckard said, after the property, being marketed as Arena Gateway, was listed for sale late last week.

For a new owner, there's the possibility of adding new retail/restaurant users to both existing first-floor spaces and possibly both the roof and basement, Eckard said. There's also available office space on upper floors being leased by the University of San Francisco, which has since moved to 1 Capitol Mall.

The building also has two other tenants -- an office user and a first-floor shoe store. Eckard said the future of those leases will be up to the building's next owner.

"Our numbers indicate well over a million people a year will be walking past it," Eckard said of 630 K, currently managed by Rubicon Partners. "We're selling this as an opportunity to come in and reposition it."

Interest has been good since the listing, he said, with potential buyers coming from not only Sacramento but elsewhere, attracted by redevelopment opportunities in downtown with a new arena two years away.

This isn't the first time a repositioning has been envisioned for 630 K St. Earlier this year, Rubicon Partners sent a letter to the city of Sacramento indicating interest in turning at least part of the building into a project called " Arena Gateway on the K," including a rooftop lounge overlooking the arena to the west. Further plans for such a redevelopment have not emerged, however.

Last edited by Pistola916; Oct 27, 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 2:42 PM

I guess there demolishing another floor of the parking garage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWuS8hM_5D8

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
I guess there demolishing another floor of the parking garage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWuS8hM_5D8
Don't think so. I think that is where the new team parking entrance/exit is for the practice facility. I'm sure they have to remove a bit for the ramp down.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 5:22 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

I accidentally posted this in the SMF thread, but here are the renders for the new arena district ... With a Macy's makeover (non-brutalist)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) —The Sacramento Kings released a new artist rendering Friday of the downtown sports and entertainment complex that shows a new 16-story tower that will be used for retail and as a hotel.

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/...#ixzz3IUybCrbQ

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 6:52 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area