HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 8:55 PM

Every time I'm in Toronto, I try to stop at KI for amazing sushi and Japanese food. Really cute place and it has the most amazing rock shrimp ever!!!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:56 AM

Another one I like is The Corner House on Davenport.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 9:17 PM

I went to Guu Sakabar on Bloor (just east of Bathurst) on the weekend. Totally live place! Definitely the best authentic Japanese Izakaya in the city. Great interior design, ambiance, and energy. All of the servers had great enthusiasm and made the overall experience really enjoyable. The female waitresses were total babes too. The servers passionately shout out (in Japanese) each order they take . Felt more like a party than a meal with the music and energy. Really fun place to go with a lot of people. Food was great, the seafood was fresh. Less sushi oriented, focus more on Izakaya (bar) food. Also had impressive selection of sake.

Went on a date at Yuzu (@ 236 Adelaide West) the other day. Also a great place, more of a traditional restaurant. Great selection and high quality of sushi.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 10:02 PM

So far the best sushi place ive been to in Toronto for value & quality is new generation.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 9:26 AM
Hare Expert

What's the best place for pho downtown? North of Queen, west of Yonge, east of Spadina, south of Bloor.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:37 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
So far the best sushi place ive been to in Toronto for value & quality is new generation.
I'm not incline to goto a place where two employees get into an argument and one got murdered.

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
What's the best place for pho downtown? North of Queen, west of Yonge, east of Spadina, south of Bloor.
If you're willing to cross to the west side of Spadina, there's Pho Hung at Spadina & St. Andrew. Also if you're willing to cross to the north side of Bloor, there's another Pho Hung across from the ROM.

I don't know if they're the "best" but they're pretty popular.

I'm not really impressed with the Pho places in Chinatown overall. My usual spot for Chinatown Pho is Pho Pasteur on the south side of Dundas, west of Spadina. Between the weak menu selection at Pho Hung, plastic in my milkshake from Pho Pasteur, fragments of a dish scrubber in my Pho at Xe Lua, white-washing of Pho 88.. I just don't know anymore. There's also a Pho Ai My on the east side of Spadina at Sullivan too.. never been. Of course, the two I actually liked, both closed over the years.

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:58 PM

Sushi Buffet: Gallery Sushi - 275 Dundas St W (Village by the Grange). Higher quality than most Sushi buffet places and their seaweed salad is awesome. I haven't been in a while though and hope things haven't changed.

Trinidadian / Caribbean - The Friendly Trini - West side of Dundas St., just north of Dundas West Subway Station. New place, with no frills...good food at excellent prices. The guy is super friendly too.

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 5:12 PM

District Sushi in Riverside is my hands down favorite Sushi joint in the city. It's like no other typical Sushi restaurant with Asian themed interiors. It's more like a nightclub inside where very few people sit there sipping hot tea but instead are enjoying a glass of wine or beer with their meal. This place even has a great back patio. Service is amazing, the food top shelf and the prices are on par with most other Sushi Restaurants in the city.

I highly recommend a trip to Riverside.......

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 3:03 PM

I find that the best sushi places are the ones that usually look the least typical. They've got nothing to prove. Back when I was living in Vancouver one of my fav places was a place called California Sushi in a strip mall in Coquitlam. The kinda place you would totally dismiss but it was some of the best sushi in the city and the prices were very reasonable.

I've gotta put in a plug for a buddy of mines new restaurant. They just opened off the corner of Dundas and Ossington and the food is unreal. He had been raving about the chef they managed to hire for weeks so I had high expectations and I was still amazed. It's called Yours Truly and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good meal in the west side. Its open from 5ish to late.

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/...-to-Ossington/

http://yours-truly.ca/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 3:51 PM

Went to the Trattoria Mercatto inside the Eaton Centre for lunch yesterday. Great restaurant, the calamari and pizzas were delicious! I loved the decor with rustic wooden tables and metal chairs and bar.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 10:30 PM

I will have to add the Big Fat Burrito in Kennsington Market.
Doesn't look fancy, but the food is cheap and the burritos huge and beyond tasty!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:30 AM

BlogTO has compiled a list of best sandwich places in Toronto. I've tried The Fish Store, delicious and impressive selection of sandwiches. California Sandwiches is also a favourite spot for us on the westside.

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_be...es_in_toronto/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 8:41 PM
gettin' rich!

There is a new Panera Bread at Dundas Square - very comfortable upstairs area, and free wifi - for all you iphone and tablet addicts!!!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 11:34 PM

Yeah, Panera Bread is a nice hang out spot. There's a bunch of great new food places opening in the area in recent years like Marble Slab (a Waterloo favourite), and Salad King. Hopefully the Lalani group can get their act together and rebuild something nice on the old Empress Hotel site. It's horrible to have an empty lot in a prime downtown location for so long.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:40 AM

I went to Pangaea at Bay and Bloor the other day. The Bison entree was out of this world, and the maple tart dessert was simply delectable.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:00 AM

On Clinton at Gore (Kind of funny those two streets cross I know) just south of College street in Little Italy. Bitando's has the best Panzarotti I've had in the city. They only make one kind, tomato and cheese but it's sooooo good. Lightly deep fried and the ingredients are very fresh. They make them non stop all day long because they move so fast. I've been in line a few times and had them sell out before I get to order.

Damn, might have to get one tomorrow now.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:13 AM

Thanks for the tip! These old school mom and pop food joints are a dying breed in Little Italy. Gotta check this one out.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 6:09 AM

Everyone needs to go to The Mad Italian immediately and try their delicious pizza cones:

http://canadianblogs.net/8-for-two-z...ions-available

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 12:13 AM

I saw those last Friday. Just a block away from Bitando's. I'll have to get one to eat for while I wait in line for my Bitando's Panzarotti.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto