HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 2:04 AM
sinjin

The City of Makati in Pictures

Welcome to the CITY of MAKATI!

HISTORY

<embed src='http://www.makati.gov.ph/portal/contents/about_makati/location/makati.swf' width='275' height='200'></embed>

Around the northern and eastern borders of Makati City curl the serpentine length of the Pasig River, which separates the premier urbanscape from the adjacent cities of Pasig and Mandaluyong and the municipality of Pateros. Fort Bonifacio and its crowded barangays sprawl along the eastern fringes. Due west is Pasay City, joined at various points to Makati's major arteries via the South Superhighway, Gil Puyat and Taft Avenues. Across Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA) from the Ayala Center are the posh villages of Forbes Park and Dasmariñas. The trend spills over Makati's boundaries all the way down the South Superhighway towards the newer subdivisions of Magallanes and Merville Park in Parañaque, and Ayala Alabang in Muntinlupa. Villamor Air Base, skirting the highway due southwest, is the headquarters of the Philippine Air Force. The city occupies a total land area of 29.9 sq. kilometers.

Makati City - Wall Street Of The Philippines

Urban lifestyle and affluence are nowhere more pronounced in the Philippines than in Makati, the country’s classiest city. Bustling and modern, it is the country’s model for city planning, rising in less than a decade from vast stretches of empty land to become the nation’s premier city.

This affluent city southwest of Manila is the country’s financial center, earning it the nickname, “Wall Street of the Philippines.” The major banks, corporations, department stores as well as embassies of the different nations are based here. Situated along Ayala Avenue is the Makati Stock Exchange, which houses the trading of stock. Fully developed, well-reputed city villages provide the perfect address for office buildings, shops, and restaurants.

Right in the heart of bustling Makati, spread along Ayala Avenue, is Ayala Center, the country’s business and financial center. Encompassing the Glorietta and Greenbelt shopping malls, among others, Ayala Center is also a commercial complex completely at par with the world’s most modern business cosmos. Within it is the Ayala Museum, among the city’s primary repositories of history, culture, and heritage, along with the Filipinas Heritage Library and Museo ng Makati.

Makati has the highest concentration of the country’s finest department stores, fashion boutiques, exclusive jewelry shops and antique stores, shoe stores, bookstores, and most other commercial establishments. In identified portions, the city contains the most exclusive residential subdivisions, including Forbes Park, where many of the country’s wealthy and powerful families make their homes. Five-star hotels and restaurants further provide the ultimate avenue for a life of comfort and relaxation.

Population

The total population was 4,176 as of the 1995 census.

Political Subdivision

The city consists of three Barangays, which are subdivided into two Congressional Districts. It has been classified as a Highly Urbanized City.

Makati Skyline

----
Acknowledgements:
*Text from: DOT Official Website
*Photos: Emporis, Ryan Lledo, Wikipedia,
Yahoo Search, Makati City Official Website

----
Care has been taken to ensure editorial,
typographical accuracy of materials posted herein.
Howerver, should there be any mistakes,
these will be inadvertent, which I apologize.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 5:50 AM

a pic of Makati i took yesterday...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2006, 9:26 PM

Woooow! Makati is beautiful, es muy impresionante y se ve muy grande! Congratulationes...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 1:04 AM
sinjin

Makati's skyline is indeed great but I acknowledge the lack of a supertall and/or an iconic structure

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 2:32 AM

Man, I miss the Philippines! Although Makati & Ortigas are not really representative of the real Manila. Makati seems to steadily get bigger and bigger and is pretty dang impressive. I agree Sinjin, a supertall or two would be nice.

Its crazy though, all that money for those skyscrapers and there are still so many squatters nearby, sheesh. Anong problema ng bayan?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 10:07 AM
Manila Skies

Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum. I just wanted to share the following photos of Makati's skyline which I took sometime in February 2006 when I was still working with EEI Corporation. I was part of the project team constructing Ayala Land's One Legazpi Park (OLP) and The Residences at Greenbelt (TRAG) Laguna Tower. In February, OLP was already substantially completed where remaining works were interior finishes at the upper floors and TRAG's structural work was at the 40th floor. The skyline views were taken from both buildingss uppermost level at that time.

ONE LEGAZPI PARK

THE RESIDENCES AT GREENBELT - LAGUNA TOWER, February 2006

MAKATI SKYLINE

Prominently shown: RCBC Plaza, GT Tower, LKG Tower & Rufino Tower

LKG Tower, Rufino Tower & PBCom Tower

JG Summit Building, Philam Tower & The Enterprise Center

PBCom Tower, JG Summit Bldg, The Enterprise Center, The Shang Grand Tower

West of Ayala

Farther West of Ayala with Manila Skyline in the background

The Ayala Center area

I also took the following photos of other EEI Corporation's completed highrise projects:

THE PACIFIC PLAZA TOWERS at Bonifacio Global City

RCBC PLAZA

PHILAM TOWER

Old Posted Oct 22, 2006, 4:19 AM
Desert Dweller

WOW! Thanks for sharing those ^

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 6:25 AM
Manila Skies

The photos are a bit late though; the thread is almost dying. Just happened to stumble on this website accidentally. It's good that I brought along these photo files with me when I left the country in March of this year. These are some of the last set of photos I took of Makati's skyline. I was assigned to various highrise building projects in Makati since 1997 and had a lot of photos of the city skyline as it rises from different vantage points. I could have posted them if only I knew this site long before.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 6:35 AM
under the influence...

Nice photos, and a nice skyline. You should start a separate thread in the city photos section.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 12:51 PM

Looks like The manila metro is very very Booming

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 5:33 AM
Utopia Society

beautiful! looks very australian! skyscrapers concentrated in the city area!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 7:20 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarcje View Post
Looks like The manila metro is very very Booming
I would definitely agree. I just came back from 3 weeks in the P.I. myself. Spent a lot of time up north in Pampanga and Tarloc with family and friends, but also spent a week in Makati and Manila. Here are a few of my own pics I'd like to share.

View from our first room at the Makati Shangri-La:

The view from our room during our outbound stay at the Shangri-La, this time from the other side of the hotel.

A street in the Intramuros section of Manila, an incredible area. Before spending the day here, I had the impression that it was going to be 'touristy' and packaged, but it's quite the opposite. It is a living, breathing area in the city, complete with traffic, stores, colleges, homes, and tons of people.

A view from along the wall, by the base of the old watch tower.

These 2 images are of Casa Manila, a restored Spanish home in the Intramuros:

Pics from along Manila bay. There are a lot of cranes at work along Roxas Blvd. It seems to me that there is at least as much activity around the bay as there is in Makati; by my count there were at least 6 cranes at work.

The World Pyro Olympics (fireworks competition) was scheduled at the same time last week (that night was China and the Philippines), so the traffic along Roxas was especially crazy.

A shot of my girlfriend, with the Golden Empire tower in the background:

And of course, how can you forget the lovely Manila Bay sunset:

I'll be posting more pics as I download them from my other camera.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 10:03 PM
under the influence...

Here are a few more pics from my trip, as promised.

Early morning rush-hour traffic, heading south on EDSA, near Cubao/Quezon City. Unfortunately, this pic doesn't do justice to the amount of traffic we really encountered on this road.

If there isn't a worse time and place to be in a vehicle in Metro Manila, please let me know...

Here are a series of pics taken while traveling on the Blue Line / MRT. One thing I noticed while waiting for the train at the Ayala station was the high-degree of security; all passengers and bags were searched prior to boarding, and there were guards (with dogs) everywhere.

Not the best images, but I wasn't able to get the flash working half the time (I was borrowing someone else's camera for the day). Some later remarked that I was lucky to even take pictures without being questioned.

Ayala station, northbound, around 2:00pm. It was a lot more crowded than I anticipated for a mid-afternoon. Just missed the previous train, but the wait was only about 5 minutes.

Trying to board. Between train arrivals, the platform filled up fast.

We headed back to Makati after finishing our business in Quezon City. I found the traffic on Quezon Ave. to be nearly as challenging as that on Edsa.

The Quezon Ave. station, heading southbound, around 7:00pm. Pretty crowded platform for an inbound train during the evening rush hour.

Inside the train. A light-rail car, it reminds me a lot of the Muni in San Francisco or the Green line in Boston, only this train has the dedicated right-of-way, with elevated tracks. Our car didn't appear as packed as those heading northbound.

From the airport, one last pano before we left. Hopefully, I will be back very soon.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 10:17 PM

The pictures are supercool especially Shyaman's Makti photos.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 2:31 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Cool photos, not very often does Makati come up.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:20 PM

Makati CBD from the air...

from webshots

from webshots

Last edited by pistrix; Feb 8, 2007 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:46 PM

by jef7

by jef7

from SSC

from SSC

by thedorrells

by Ryan Lledo

from SSC

Last edited by pistrix; Feb 9, 2007 at 4:45 PM. Reason: added more pics

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Wow excellent pics... last time I was in the P.I. was in 95 and I could not even recognize Manilla from those above.. impressive... traffic was the absolute worse getting out of the city then so I can only imagine what it is like now.

Thanks for the post..

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 11:13 PM

Wonderful images...thank you :')

This is my home country... :'D

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 2:30 AM
Asset Builder

ah my girlfriend is from Makati as well. went to assumption college too. she went back recently, but she didnt take any pics of makati...just of boracay. can anyone post some more street level pics? im interested in seeing what "daily life" looks like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific