HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:46 AM
I am the law!

The number of roads will increase or should I say the size of the blocks will most certainly decrease as the fields get developed.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 9:48 AM

what a weird place... looks more like a suburb of Shanghai or Beijing than a city in Canada!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:23 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea Spy View Post
what a weird place... looks more like a suburb of Shanghai or Beijing than a city in Canada!
Ironically enough, this city may very well be the quintessential Canadian city of the future.

Perhaps it will improve in time?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:47 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
Ironically enough, this city may very well be the quintessential Canadian city of the future.
Not on my watch.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:42 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

The strange thing is almost all current city leaders in Ontario (anyone over 55 that is) think Hurrican Hazel has done a good job with Mississauga. They even look to her for advice and inspiration. The truth is a monkey could've managed 'sauga for the last 25 years. It's a result of the poorest planning and growth management possible, that focussed on moving vehicle traffic and vehicle storage. Combined with an exodus of businesses from downtown Toronto. Now all those companies and poor schleps are stuck in 'sauga and couldn't afford to move back to Toronto. They're now left with their decision and refuse to admit the massive growth of Mississauga was beyond mismanaged, it will be in Canada's history books of the biggest squander of growth and land lack of foresight ever in municipal planning.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:02 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

WZ1: Great photo!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:45 PM

Further to realcity's point: At the moment Mississauga is debt free and has low taxes, which is a big reason why so many laud Mississauga. But years from now Mississauga will be facing the same kind of aging infrastructure pressures as everyone else. I would suspect this will be a massive problem. Add to this the shoddy construction of thousands of cheap suburban houses and you might have the recipe for disaster.

(For those who don't know, much of Mississauga is less than 40 years old)

(EDIT: Also for those who don't know, Hazel McCallion has been mayor of Mississauga since 1978. Mississauga was incorporated in 1974)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 8:47 PM

Mississauga could be in for some problems soon.
The debt free status is said to end in about 7 years, as the city becomes built up and runs out of development charges. And ontop of that, the city will have to start replacing aging sewers and other city services, in an area that while it has tight housing, is still low density.
So Mississauga will not be the shining star forever like they think. They are turning into a mature suburb complete with the problems a mature community may have to face.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Mississauga "packed with residential"? Most of Mississauga City Centre is UNDEVELOPED VACANT LAND. Just another exxample of people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

The closed sidewalk is closed along a driveway that belongs to the mall. It is not a real street. The city NEVER closes sidewalks.
Doady, you get really mad about the bad comments twords Mississauga.

While Mississauga does probably have more pedestrians then most North American suburbs, and has worked a little twords becoming more urban. It still is a wasteland. People drive to Square One Mall, and that is it. Why would they be strolling around the Mississauga City Centre, when there is nothing to stroll to? Everything is inside Square One Mall.

The only saving grace about MCC, is you only a 20min express bus ride from downtown Toronto MCC is a nice cheap place to live, while still having amazing access to the "real" downtown.

Last edited by miketoronto; Jan 9, 2008 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 9:02 PM
Dutch Biscuit fan

The pics are good. They give me a good idea of how boring this place is.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post

Perhaps it will improve in time?
Speak for Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 11:19 PM

Mississauga is very impressive from a distance - it's probably got Canada's 5th biggest skyline - but it does lack the human scale of a more established city. If anything it is an illustration that densification does not necessarily mean the suburbs will look any better.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:30 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Speak for Ontario.

Point well taken...I should have said Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Doady, you get really mad about the bad comments twords Mississauga.

While Mississauga does probably have more pedestrians then most North American suburbs, and has worked a little twords becoming more urban. It still is a wasteland. People drive to Square One Mall, and that is it. Why would they be strolling around the Mississauga City Centre, when there is nothing to stroll to? Everything is inside Square One Mall.

The only saving grace about MCC, is you only a 20min express bus ride from downtown Toronto MCC is a nice cheap place to live, while still having amazing access to the "real" downtown.

I have to agree with you here. I often get stuck going to the MCC (relatives in the 'sausage), and unless you plan to stay at Square One, you need a car to get everywhere else in MCC...mind you, there is nothing even reminiscent of the dense urban fabric of the big cities in MCC; tall buildings excepted.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:36 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Speak for Ontario.
What do you call Burnaby?

It's Vancouver's version of Mississauga. The west coast 'Mississauga'.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post

(EDIT: Also for those who don't know, Hazel McCallion has been mayor of Mississauga since 1978. Mississauga was incorporated in 1974)

BTW..how old is Hazel..She must be at least 80...I guess all that hooch keeps her preserved.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 4:08 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post

Burnaby looks nothing like Mississauga. Besides a few towers-in-the-park, they share nothing in common. A lot of Burnaby was built pre WWII and shares the same street grid as Vancouver. A better comparison would be Surrey or Coquitlam.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post

I agree with you to an extent. The architecture is about the same caliber as Missisauga (excluding the Monroe towers),all of the Town Centers are anchored by malls etc. Where Burnaby differs from Sauga is in it's urban context. Burnaby's approach to development is much more human scaled and street oriented. Each of it's four town centers are anchored by (yes) a mall with massive surface parking lots but the difference is they all have developed pedestrian oriented retail 'high streets' as well.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 4:38 PM
Closed account

Mississauga has a bunch of great urban areas: Streetsville, Port Credit (my favourite 'town' in mississauga), Clarkson, etc... but this is their "city centre".
Rather than expanding one of their great, already-existing "downtowns", the city decided to start it's own futuristic Centre (one which was suppose to have a monorail if I'm not mistaken??).

Downtown Mississauga could have been GREAT if they expanded from, say, Port Credit. It would have had a lakefront setting, historical buildings in an already (somewhat) dense neighbourhood (compared to other 'Sauga hoods), all amenities downtowns should have, and still room for development.

I remember taking Mississauga Transit to Square One when I was 17. I thought Port Credit WAS their downtown. I have friends that work in Square One that didn't even know that was their "downtown" until I mentioned it to them. A city can't have a downtown if it's own residents don't know it exists!?

Hey WZ1!!! How's 'Sauga working out for you? Do you have any shots from your new place comparative to the shots u took from your balcony at the Olympia??

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:22 PM

Mississauga isn't really a city. It's a suburb that refuses to admit it is. It has its hidden charms, mostly very wealthy neighborhoods but also some small town communities like Streetsville etc. But truly, it's just a boring Scarborough with a wealthier tax base.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos